Contracts for 5 Academy Kids

Footballfirst

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/five-youngsters-go-pro

Five of our brightest young Academy players have signed their first professional contracts with Heart of Midlothian.

The talented youngsters were joined by First Team Manager Robbie Neilson, U18s Manager John Rankin and Hearts Academy Manager Roger Arnott as they put pen to paper at Tynecastle.

Defender Michael Aitken (16), Striker Mackenzie Kirk (16), Midfielder Aidan Denholm (16), Midfielder Harry Gordon (16) and Goalkeeper Harris Spratt (17) will now all make the step up to full-time football for the first time.

Aidan has already had the opportunity to test himself in the First Team environment, having spent the past few weeks training with Robbie Neilson’s squad as well as featuring in several friendlies.

Speaking to Hearts TV, John Rankin said:

“I’ve got high hopes for them. They’ve been involved with the U18s for the past year but now they’re moving into a day to day environment and there’s more pressure on them now.

“We need to try and push these boys on as much as we can and get them to the stage where they’re knocking on the door of the First Team.”

Robbie Neilson added:

“All the players that sign a pro contract are all very good technically. What it boils down to is how much they want this and how much they’re willing to dedicate their lives to it.

“They’re 16 or 17 years of age, they have pals who are living a live outside football but these boys need to dedicate themselves if they are to build a career in the game.”

WATCH: Take a behind the scenes look with Hearts TV as the boys were presented at Tynecastle by clicking HERE.

Great news, some good players amongst this cohort.

High hopes that Kirk junior has the penalty box instincts of his dad.

Of that group, Aidan Denholm is certainly the closest to first team or reserve team football at the moment.  Harry Gordon missed a fair bit of last season due to injury before the closedown, so hopefully he is fully fit again.

One name that is missing from that list, in terms of ability, is Callum Flatman, unless I have missed him getting a contract a few months ago (he was 16 in January). 

jamboinglasgow

well done to them. Hope they can kick on and feature for the first team.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Of that group, Aidan Denholm is certainly the closest to first team or reserve team football at the moment.  Harry Gordon missed a fair bit of last season due to injury before the closedown, so hopefully he is fully fit again.

One name that is missing from that list, in terms of ability, is Callum Flatman, unless I have missed him getting a contract a few months ago (he was 16 in January). 

Was watching the video Hearts TV put up of the U18s back in training. I did hear the name Callum mentioned, so persume he is training.

Heard Flatman going around teams down south. Probably burnt his bridges. 

Nb gordon and flatman were Balerno pupils.

Edited by buzzbomb

Allowayjambo1874

Just to compare, contrast and put context thought I would look at previous 3 years intakes.

Last years crop were Leon Watson, Aaron Darge, Jay Charleston-King Sean Docherty & Ryan Schiavone

2018 group were Cammy Logan, Leroy Makovora, Sean Ward, Dino Leddie, Scott McGill, Aaron Hickey,Josh Grigor, McKenzie Lawler & Broadie Strange.

2017 group were Euan Henderson, Anthony McDonald, Connor Smith, Dean Ritchie, Chris Hamilton, Jay Sandison, Harry Cochrane & Marc Leonard.

29 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Great news, some good players amongst this cohort.

High hopes that Kirk junior has the penalty box instincts of his dad.

Didn't know Andy Kirk had a laddie in the youths. Doesn't seem that long ago I was reading about his old man scoring a pile of goals in the U18s/reserves.

“All the players that sign a pro contract are all very good technically. What it boils down to is how much they want this and how much they’re willing to dedicate their lives to it."

Having your old man at the club and involved in football must give Mackenzie a decent chance, bearing in mind what Robbie said above.

6 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Just to compare, contrast and put context thought I would look at previous 3 years intakes.

Last years crop were Leon Watson, Aaron Darge, Jay Charleston-King Sean Docherty & Ryan Schiavone

2018 group were Cammy Logan, Leroy Makovora, Sean Ward, Dino Leddie, Scott McGill, Aaron Hickey,Josh Grigor, McKenzie Lawler & Brodie Strang.

2017 group were Euan Henderson, Anthony McDonald, Connor Smith, Dean Ritchie, Chris Hamilton, Jay Sandison, Harry Cochrane & Marc Leonard.

Quite a few of them have already left the club and a couple more were only given six month extensions to January.  It just shows the rate of attrition among the youngsters

The SFA has just announced grants of £800,000 shared across 25 clubs with payments dependent on clubs success in developing academy players.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-announce-latest-mpo-payments-to-club-academy-scotland-clubs/?rid=13929

Thursday 10 September 2020

The Scottish FA has invested £800,000 across all 25 Club Academy Scotland (CAS) clubs through their latest grant.

The organisation provide an annual payment, with a differing amount of money going to each club, depending on their achievements in relation to the set Measurable Performance Outcomes (MPOs).

Clubs provide the Scottish FA with a document which takes into account performance in areas such as domestic club and Scotland international appearances for academy produced players and each club receives funds on a pound per point basis, relating to how they have performed in those specific areas.

A point is achieved by a club depending on how successful their players have been on the domestic club and international stage.

This year’s fee is an increase of £100,000 from last year.

Club Academy Scotland (CAS) is the Scottish FA’s structure that defines, operates and partially funds the Academy system in this country, alongside a games programme.

It governs the development of players from the age of 11 to 18 and the clubs have been streamed into the following categories:

Elite Level: Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee United, Hamilton Academical, Heart of Midlothian, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Rangers

Performance (Progressive) Level: Ayr United, Greenock Morton, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Partick Thistle, Ross County, St Johnstone, St Mirren

Performance Level: Dundee, Fife Elite Football Academy, Queen's Park

Advanced Youth Level: Airdrieonians, Alloa Athletic, Elgin City, Montrose, Queen of the South, Stirling Albion

Campbell Money, Club Academy Scotland manager said: “Once again we are delighted to be able to provide each of our Club Academy Scotland clubs funds which will greatly assist them in continuing to improve on their Measurable Performance Outcomes (MPOs).

“Each club which is part of the programme has already received a boost over the last few months with them being able to return to the pitch due to COVID-19 restrictions lifting.

“This money will allow them to go from strength to strength and continue to progress the work they are doing to improve their players and ensure they reach their potential.”

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Quite a few of them have already left the club and a couple more were only given six month extensions to January.  It just shows the rate of attrition among the youngsters

I wonder about these things sometimes. I'm not sure it's as bad as it is sometimes made out to be. What I mean by that (and maybe you can help me with this), is what sort of percentage of those who drop out of Hearts after this stage are actually lost to the game? Most will move on to other clubs, I would presume, and very few end up on the scrapheap, surely. Also, of the small percentage of those who do end up out of the game, how many of them would have made it had they been at another club's academy?

Edited by Beast Boy

4 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I wonder about these things sometimes. I'm not sure it's as bad as it is sometimes made out to be. What I mean by that (and maybe you can help me with this), is what sort of percentage of those who drop out of Hearts after this stage are actually lost to the game? Most will move on to other clubs, I would presume, and very few end up on the scrapheap, surely. Also, of the small percentage of those who do end up out of the game, how many of them would have made it had they been at another club's academy?

Funnily enough after FFs post I googled the players highlighted as having left (assuming those in red are the ones with short extensions).

According to TransferMarkt

- Dino Leddie - At Hibs. Was on loan at Gala Fairydean last season. Contract to end of season.

- Josh Grigor - Moved to Hamilton after leaving Hearts. Released by Hamilton in January. Listed as being without a club.

- Brodie Strang - Without a club since leaving Hearts this summer.

- Dean Ritchie - Left Hearts this summer and joined Airdrie.

- Marc Leonard - Joined Brighton a year ago and was their U18 team player of the year this season.

- Hickey - Not quite gone but leaving for Bologna it seems.

So not as bleak a picture as it might seem. I was actually surprised how many of the 2017 intake still have a hope of making more first team appearances at Hearts. 

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Of the five listed (in black) who have left Hearts. Three are currently with clubs, Marc Leonard is at Brighton (in the u23 squad,) Dean Ritchie is at Airdrie (in the first team,) and Dino Leddie is at Hibs (reserve squad.) The other two, Josh Grigor went to Hamilton after he was release last summer but has since been released by Hamilton in January and is still without a club. Brodie Strang is without a club having been released at the end of the season. So 3/5 still at clubs is not bad for players released.

19 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The SFA has just announced grants of £800,000 shared across 25 clubs with payments dependent on clubs success in developing academy players.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-announce-latest-mpo-payments-to-club-academy-scotland-clubs/?rid=13929

Do you know any more detail FF? Are the points just accrued for players currently in the Academy or if a player is several years out of the academy but still playing in your first team do you get points?

I presume the points for international success include age group internationals? Call me a cynic but given even at age groups there seems to be a bias towards promoting OF players into international squads this seems like a way of ensuring they get a good slice of the funding.

9 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Funnily enough after FFs post I googled the players highlighted as having left (assuming those in red are the ones with short extensions).

According to TransferMarkt

- Dino Leddie - At Hibs. Was on loan at Gala Fairydean last season. Contract to end of season.

- Josh Grigor - Moved to Hamilton after leaving Hearts. Released by Hamilton in January. Listed as being without a club.

- Brodie Strang - Without a club since leaving Hearts this summer.

- Dean Ritchie - Left Hearts this summer and joined Airdrie.

- Marc Leonard - Joined Brighton a year ago and was their U18 team player of the year this season.

- Hickey - Not quite gone but leaving for Bologna it seems.

So not as bleak a picture as it might seem. I was actually surprised how many of the 2017 intake still have a hope of making more first team appearances at Hearts. 

6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Of the five listed (in black) who have left Hearts. Three are currently with clubs, Marc Leonard is at Brighton (in the u23 squad,) Dean Ritchie is at Airdrie (in the first team,) and Dino Leddie is at Hibs (reserve squad.) The other two, Josh Grigor went to Hamilton after he was release last summer but has since been released by Hamilton in January and is still without a club. Brodie Strang is without a club having been released at the end of the season. So 3/5 still at clubs is not bad for players released.

Thanks chaps. Only one I knew about was Leonard.

Allowayjambo1874

Academies cost v return has been quite a debate, particularly down south where I believe transfers from an academy to another club are now capped. If memory serves me correctly Oxlaide-Chamberlain went from Southampton’s academy (I think) to Arsenal for £8m or something. Now the lower league clubs are scrapping academies as the transfer fees are so low and the cost running them is so high.

I think for Hearts, the academy should be looked at as players appearances rather than pure financial returns. If each season 5 boys are given contracts then success should be judged 2-3 years later whereby a set number, maybe 2, are making  25+ appearances in a season each and are regularly within match day squads. 

2 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Academies cost v return has been quite a debate, particularly down south where I believe transfers from an academy to another club are now capped. If memory serves me correctly Oxlaide-Chamberlain went from Southampton’s academy (I think) to Arsenal for £8m or something. Now the lower league clubs are scrapping academies as the transfer fees are so low and the cost running them is so high.

I think for Hearts, the academy should be looked at as players appearances rather than pure financial returns. If each season 5 boys are given contracts then success should be judged 2-3 years later whereby a set number, maybe 2, are making  25+ appearances in a season each and are regularly within match day squads. 

Totally agree with the bit in bold.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Callum Flatman best of the lot but decided not to sign and now looking down south and abroad. A few really good  players in that year group not offered contracts this time round ( Winger  C Hambrook, M Thomas striker, F Pollock midfield/wide) 

August Landmesser
26 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Harris Spratt. Great name. Star in the making.......👍.....!

And a keeper too - he's basically Billy the Fish...

This may well be why Robbie hioghlighted how much they have to dedicate themselves to the game of they want to progress.

55 minutes ago, Bigteam said:

Callum Flatman best of the lot but decided not to sign and now looking down south and abroad. A few really good  players in that year group not offered contracts this time round ( Winger  C Hambrook, M Thomas striker, F Pollock midfield/wide) 

Very disappointing regarding Flatman it seems. Do you know why the other 3 players that you mention were not offered deals?

1 hour ago, Bigteam said:

Callum Hambrook was born in 2005 so is in the age group below those given contracts this time round. He generally plays up a year so remains a good prospect.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

And a keeper too - he's basically Billy the Fish...

Good to see another young keeper coming through, hopefully able to push Harry Stone onwards. I don’t think we had any keepers offered pro contracts for several years between Kelby Mason and Harry Stone. (By the way, shouldn’t HS be in one of the lists of youngsters that have moved up in recent years?)

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

12 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Good to see another young keeper coming through, hopefully able to push Harry Stone onwards. I don’t think we had any keepers offered pro contracts for several years between Kelby Mason and Harry Stone. (By the way, shouldn’t HS be in one of the lists of youngsters that have moved up in recent years?)

We also have another keeper, Liam McFarlane in the 2004 age group, but he won't be 16 for another couple of weeks. 

Edited by Footballfirst

2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Do you know any more detail FF? Are the points just accrued for players currently in the Academy or if a player is several years out of the academy but still playing in your first team do you get points?

I presume the points for international success include age group internationals? Call me a cynic but given even at age groups there seems to be a bias towards promoting OF players into international squads this seems like a way of ensuring they get a good slice of the funding.

I don't have any more detail than what the SFA posted themselves.  International age group caps and first team appearances do come into the equation, but I don't know how long that applies.  You are correct in your observation of the OF benefiting from the age group internationals though.

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, Section Q said:

Harris Spratt. Great name. Star in the making.......👍.....!

Sounds like the love child of Hamish McAlpine and Hugh Sproat

Brilliant news. I love reading about this. It's the lifeblood of our sport!

Well done lads. You got to where you are because of hard work determination. You only have to keep that going now.

17 minutes ago, VivaObua said:

Any more info on exact positions?

Harry Gordon - Midfielder

Aiden Denholm - Midfielder

Michael Aitken - Defender

Mackenzie Kirk - Striker

Harris Spratt - Keeper

8 hours ago, Bigteam said:

Always going to happen unfortunately, hopefully more instead look to Hickey as an example. Flatman may think playing for an EPL team is good, but there is no substitute for first team football. Too many kids go down south and are chewed up and spat out age 24 with about 9 games (on loan) to their name. 

Billy Gilmour is the exception, rather than the rule. 

Hope Flatman see's sense. Would be a shame to have wasted the time developing him for him to bugger off down south at the first opportunity to play kiddy on football (reserve) till his mid 20s. 

27 minutes ago, OTT said:

Hope Flatman see's sense. Would be a shame to have wasted the time developing him for him to bugger off down south at the first opportunity to play kiddy on football (reserve) till his mid 20s. 

He has only been at the Hearts academy for a couple of seasons.  He was recruited from Stenhousemuir when the Forth Valley elite academy folded.

allanwilson1970

Good luck to the 5, Denholm is the best of them. As harsh as it sounds the academy is digressing and not improving as were were promised. @footballfirst do you agree that the 2001/2002 intake is a much higher level than the 2003/2004 when we were told it would be the opposite few years back from Roger Arnott.

Cochrane, McDonald, Leonard, Hamilton, Smith, Stone, Hickey etc all miles ahead of the 2003/2004 intake - Leo Watson aside. 

Allowayjambo1874
1 hour ago, allanwilson1970 said:

Good luck to the 5, Denholm is the best of them. As harsh as it sounds the academy is digressing and not improving as were were promised. @footballfirst do you agree that the 2001/2002 intake is a much higher level than the 2003/2004 when we were told it would be the opposite few years back from Roger Arnott.

Cochrane, McDonald, Leonard, Hamilton, Smith, Stone, Hickey etc all miles ahead of the 2003/2004 intake - Leo Watson aside. 

This is a decent point, realistically and honestly  how is the academy performing,

I have no idea if the academy is performing better or worse than other clubs. This is something the SFA should be getting a hold off, comparing and contrasting the results of each clubs academy, really examine the most successful ones and then reporting back to the clubs with recommendations on how to improve. This is something that is in the best interest for the game in general. I do know that the arse cheeks scoop up 100’s of kids at lower age groups and 99.9% of them are chucked after a while with very little care or proper diligence. 

3 hours ago, allanwilson1970 said:

With a few odd exceptions I don't get the sense that we have a group of potentially talented players coming through together until you get down to 2007s and younger. 

It is quite unusual to get a lot of quality players in the same age group. 2001/02 was similar in that sense to 1993/94 (Walker, Holt, McKay, McHattie, Mullen, D Smith, Hamilton Carrick, B King)

16 hours ago, OTT said:

Always going to happen unfortunately, hopefully more instead look to Hickey as an example. Flatman may think playing for an EPL team is good, but there is no substitute for first team football. Too many kids go down south and are chewed up and spat out age 24 with about 9 games (on loan) to their name. 

If Flatman leaves he's doing the same Aaron Hickey did at Celtic at the same age.

I do think it's a mistake in this case.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Flatman leaves he's doing the same Aaron Hickey did at Celtic at the same age.

I do think it's a mistake in this case.

Hickey left to have a better chance of first team football. 

You're not getting that in the English top flight, or even Championship. Certainly not if your age ends in teen. 

If the lad wants to go, best of luck to him. Ultimately, if big clubs are pinching from our academy its an endorsement we're doing things right.

15 minutes ago, OTT said:

Hickey left to have a better chance of first team football. 

You're not getting that in the English top flight, or even Championship. Certainly not if your age ends in teen. 

If the lad wants to go, best of luck to him. Ultimately, if big clubs are pinching from our academy its an endorsement we're doing things right.

So Flatman might be leaving, if he is for a better chance of first team football. 

With a few odd exceptions I don't get the sense that we have a group of potentially talented players coming through together until you get down to 2007s and younger. 

It is quite unusual to get a lot of quality players in the same age group. 2001/02 was similar in that sense to 1993/94 (Walker, Holt, McKay, McHattie, Mullen, D Smith, Hamilton Carrick, B King)

Surely not.  Levein and Arnott have spent over £4m on the Academy and there's bound to be a conveyor belt full of amazing talent coming through.

19 hours ago, OTT said:

Think you need to wisen up, it's about money, Flatman by far the best prospect will earn a lot more and learn a lot more than he would up here, little pathway for young players to develop at Hearts in first team, Hickey being the exception, this season is hopefully different as we should have no option but to play youths in games but not flatmans age group.

Well done Hearts a good positive move.  Hope these lads kick on to be successful players, in what for the present are challenging times..

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Think you need to wisen up, it's about money, Flatman by far the best prospect will earn a lot more and learn a lot more than he would up here, little pathway for young players to develop at Hearts in first team, Hickey being the exception, this season is hopefully different as we should have no option but to play youths in games but not flatmans age group.

I think the exception is more to do with how many actually make it down south. There isn't a replacement for experience. Too many youngsters kick about EPL clubs and end up punted out with **** all experience. Has Islam Feruz got a club yet?

Theres a balance to be struck IMO, lets not pretend EPL academys are creating a conveyor belt of footballing einstein, how many loanees have we had that are bafflingly bad? 

Money will always be a problem though, hopefully in time we will become more competitive on that side so if they do decide to reject professional terms its not a financial decision. 

On 11/09/2020 at 12:42, Footballfirst said:

We also have another keeper, Liam McFarlane in the 2004 age group, but he won't be 16 for another couple of weeks. 

I was at school with his dad, he a decent prospect aye?