Jim Cruickshank

Thomaso

Gorgie Boot boy
4 hours ago, Iceman1956 said:

Great stuff thanks for showing images just how I remember it.

How come JJ isn't in that squad photo ?

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• John Findlay

• Kiwidoug

• jimbojambo

Gorgie Boot boy
On 11/09/2020 at 08:28, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Here is the Gemmill thunderbolt penalty!

8D335E0C-C90C-47D0-AEB9-8AC6D29AAE8C.jpeg

This image has got such a lot of greatness, the shed in the back ground catches the eye. The place ruled and is so hard to find apart from a game against Celtic in the 80s that i have watched a lot of times. So this penalty save was a moment of magic with one group exploding before the ball hit net and me and my dad jumping up seconds after realising Jim had saved it.. Magical can still feel tingles.

Came on here fearing the worst, glad to know Cruickie is still alive and kicking.  As with many others of my age group, Cruckie and Donald Ford were my original heroes.

55 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Came on here fearing the worst, glad to know Cruickie is still alive and kicking.  As with many others of my age group, Cruckie and Donald Ford were my original heroes.

Sorry to be the one to tell you.  He died around 10 years ago.

10 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Superb tribute video to the great man's memory on this link:-

Lovely to watch this - although Cruickie pulled off even more remarkable saves that shown on here.

Two stories re Cruickie. The first was a game against East Fife(?) and East Fife were awarded a direct free kick just outside Hearts box at the school end. We were half way up right behind the goal. Cruickie was so busy telling the wall where to go he hadn't noticed that East Fife had taken the free kick quickly. He only found out when someone behind the goal shouted " it's behind you". Even he laughed. Second was against Hibs at Tynecastle before segregation and Hibs were awarded a penalty. He saved the penalty, saved the follow up then saved the second follow up. The entire ground , including all the Hibbies starting chanting " Cruickshank for Scotland". It went on for a few minutes. 

12 minutes ago, David Black said:

Two stories re Cruickie. The first was a game against East Fife(?) and East Fife were awarded a direct free kick just outside Hearts box at the school end. We were half way up right behind the goal. Cruickie was so busy telling the wall where to go he hadn't noticed that East Fife had taken the free kick quickly. He only found out when someone behind the goal shouted " it's behind you". Even he laughed. Second was against Hibs at Tynecastle before segregation and Hibs were awarded a penalty. He saved the penalty, saved the follow up then saved the second follow up. The entire ground , including all the Hibbies starting chanting " Cruickshank for Scotland". It went on for a few minutes. 

Here was one of the rebound saves!

614B3CFD-B619-4B8C-8D47-F9E0F3B109FE.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I take it you were there? If memory serves me right the game ended 0-0, but it could have been another 7-0 if it wasn't for Cruickie. It should also be said that that was a great Hibs team. 

8 minutes ago, David Black said:

I take it you were there? If memory serves me right the game ended 0-0, but it could have been another 7-0 if it wasn't for Cruickie. It should also be said that that was a great Hibs team. 

Yes I was there with my old dad in the Gorgie end.

44 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

No big poncey gloves there 

On 10/09/2020 at 21:59, merrymac said:

That Gemmill save remains one of the best penalty saves I have ever seen

Am I right in saying that was Gemmill's first miss?

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Am I right in saying that was Gemmill's first miss?

First and only save I think.

His others were post and miss the target if I remember correctly

I remember a certain night in the Quarter Gill in Partick, I think it was after a game at Rugby Park, with Cruickie, Flasher Sneddon and Alan MacDonald.  By the end of the night, the only way Jim could have made a save would have been if someone rolled him over and put the ball in his hands.

Edited by colinmaroon

On 16/09/2020 at 01:52, Kiwidoug said:

Sorry to be the one to tell you.  He died around 10 years ago.

I feel bad at not remembering that, even worse at the thought he is no longer among us, other than in our memories.

😪

On 15/09/2020 at 11:13, wattie exploited said:

sorry i meant Niemi getting them mixed up 

Ha, I was also a bit confused at why you selected Kello, all makes sense now.  The ravages of age can play havoc with your mind, I made a tit of myself earlier in the thread when I forgot that Cruickie had sadly passed a decade ago.

On a completely different subject Wattie, are there any plans for The Exploited to get out on the road again maybe next year, when hopefully things have returned to some semblance of normality? 

wattie exploited
On 18/09/2020 at 01:04, RobNox said:

Ha, I was also a bit confused at why you selected Kello, all makes sense now.  The ravages of age can play havoc with your mind, I made a tit of myself earlier in the thread when I forgot that Cruickie had sadly passed a decade ago.

On a completely different subject Wattie, are there any plans for The Exploited to get out on the road again maybe next year, when hopefully things have returned to some semblance of normality? 

we were in new Zealand at the start of Feb. this year then the day we were meant to fly into Australia they said we would have to quarantine for two weeks so we had 12 gigs there so we couldn't do them ,we then had 11 gigs in Russia but that also got cancelled then we had a 24 gig in Europe also cancelled ,so We are meant to go back to Australia start of Feb. 2021 then Russia in April next year ,we have a big festival in Blackpool in Aug. 7,   10.000 people   a day called rebellion we headline one of the stages on the sat ,also  a Scottish festival in May ,,so that is what we have planned for next year but who knows if it will happen its not looking very promising anyway stay safe 

Edited by wattie exploited

58 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Mental to think Russians would have heard of The Exploited from all those years ago. 👍

I mind when I started in a wee baking factory in North Holland, a guy walked up to me and went "ah, Scottish eh? Do you know Wattie? Exploited! Barmy army!" :laugh2:

wattie exploited
11 hours ago, Smithee said:

I mind when I started in a wee baking factory in North Holland, a guy walked up to me and went "ah, Scottish eh? Do you know Wattie? Exploited! Barmy army!" :laugh2:

we were meant to play Holland  this October but that has been put back till next year to in the early days we got banned for 5 years from Holland don't ask why though lol !!!!!!

On 16/09/2020 at 00:16, Gorgie Boot boy said:

This image has got such a lot of greatness, the shed in the back ground catches the eye. The place ruled and is so hard to find apart from a game against Celtic in the 80s that i have watched a lot of times. So this penalty save was a moment of magic with one group exploding before the ball hit net and me and my dad jumping up seconds after realising Jim had saved it.. Magical can still feel tingles.

I can just about see myself at the back of the Mcleod St terracing, 50 years ago.......

What a save. What a performance. Peter Oliver also had a great game. Still one of the best 0-0 draws I can remember.

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

I can just about see myself at the back of the Mcleod St terracing, 50 years ago.......

What a save. What a performance. Peter Oliver also had a great game. Still one of the best 0-0 draws I can remember.

Peter Oliver was superb that day.

22 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

One of the few full backs to get the better of Jimmy Johnstone.

7 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

we were meant to play Holland  this October but that has been put back till next year to in the early days we got banned for 5 years from Holland don't ask why though lol !!!!!!

We're asking 🙂 

8 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

I mind we were meant to come and see you at the Patronaat in Haarlem IIRC (we lived in Haarlem, ****ing gorgeous city)

Can't remember why I never made it, Jens was there though, went on about it for ages!

wattie exploited
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I mind we were meant to come and see you at the Patronaat in Haarlem IIRC (we lived in Haarlem, ****ing gorgeous city)

Can't remember why I never made it, Jens was there though, went on about it for ages!

played in Haarlem a few times over the years one of my best mates live in Holland great times totally mental as well :rifle: 

Spoke with his son recently (hadn’t realised it was his son till we got talking about football). Apparently In the end  he fell out rather badly with the club and refused to attend any games, invitations and even turned down his hall of fame entry. His wife may have accepted it on his behalf in later years (though can’t remember that bit for sure). What a keeper he was.

This thread is just about the only thing keeping me sane these days.  We have a election coming up here and the result is going to be decided in cyberspace.  Our utterly inept Prime Minister has a massive social media profile because she smiles a lot.  She doesn't even attempt to be ept any more.  Doesn't need to.  She will romp in.

What's all that got to do with Jim Cruickshank?  The good old days, that's what.

On 23/09/2020 at 18:18, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Sorry, I'm not intending to hijack this thread on behalf of Peter Oliver (after all, Cruikie is my all-time football hero!) but, Christ, Peter Oliver - what a player. You'vejust named two of the guys that would make it into my all-time Hearts team! I seem to recall that he perfected the Cruyff turn long before it was popular.

Maybe there could be a separate Oliver thread - I'd be keen to learn what other "oldsters" thought of the left back...

Strange that nobody mentions Arthur Mann when talking about Peter Oliver, they were deemed to be the best full back pairing in Scotland at the time and Arthur was transferred to Man City because of this. Definitely the pair were a class act but I thought Peter fell back a bit when Arthur left, still very good but didn't go on to really make a name for himself.

Edited by alanbauld
think I got it wrong

1 hour ago, alanbauld said:

Strange that nobody mentions Arthur Mann when talking about Peter Oliver, they were deemed to be the best full back pairing in Scotland at the time and Arthur was transferred to Man City because of this. Definitely the pair were a class act but I thought Peter fell back a bit when Arthur left, still very good but didn't go on to really make a name for himself.

Because he got a bad injury 

Craig Herbertson
4 hours ago, NotTheHoople said:

Sorry, I'm not intending to hijack this thread on behalf of Peter Oliver (after all, Cruikie is my all-time football hero!) but, Christ, Peter Oliver - what a player. You'vejust named two of the guys that would make it into my all-time Hearts team! I seem to recall that he perfected the Cruyff turn long before it was popular.

Maybe there could be a separate Oliver thread - I'd be keen to learn what other "oldsters" thought of the left back...

I thought he was brilliant. Cruikie, Ford, Prentice were the heros but when Oliver came on I remember thinking he was doing really clever things with the ball  that iIcouldn't even imagine. Injury just prevented him going on to great things. My subbuteo team still had him in at left back despite a short career.

Craig Herbertson
6 minutes ago, Craig Herbertson said:

I thought he was brilliant. Cruikie, Ford, Prentice were the heros but when Oliver came on I remember thinking he was doing really clever things with the ball  that iI couldn't even imagine. Injury just prevented him going on to great things. My subbuteo team still had him in at left back despite a short career.

I remember him as a defender in his own half showboating on the bye line near the corner flag and I think he lobbed it over a celtic player's head and ghosted past him.  It was sort of surreal.

Just now, farin said:

That was my thought, looks like hampden. 

You can just slightly see the strapping on his left thigh. He is defending the East end, the uncovered end.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

76 cup final?

Yes - I was in that upper stand. Horrible day.

Edited by Thomaso

On 16/09/2020 at 00:35, Big Drew said:

Superb tribute video to the great man's memory on this link:-

He was a fabulous goalie, I'm sure he was the Glasgow schools long-jump champion. It's not as if he was very tall either so it was all about positioning, anticipation and his ability to jump.

55 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yes - I was in that upper stand. Horrible day.

So was I as a 13 yr old laddie

3 hours ago, farin said:

Think this confirms it as the 76 final. 

D039F35E-6FEE-4781-A49C-DC73C3ECA501.thumb.jpeg.3840986a1fd12ae6eb4e506261e26102.jpeg

A strapping JJ there

8 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

A strapping JJ there

Indeed, forgot how big a unit he was

On 25/09/2020 at 19:04, farin said:

D039F35E-6FEE-4781-A49C-DC73C3ECA501.thumb.jpeg.3840986a1fd12ae6eb4e506261e26102.jpeg

Yes, I got absolutely soaked into the bargain, what a completely miserable day.

On 25/09/2020 at 19:57, John Findlay said:

So was I as a 13 yr old laddie

Was 15 myself in that north stand surrounded by Huns and my Jambo group including the old man. They passed round the whisky bottle as I watched the nonsense going on behind the goals, truly mental that day

On 25/09/2020 at 19:04, farin said:

22 years later JJ was back at Hampden......❤️🏆