Jim Cruickshank

Thomaso

On 10/09/2020 at 23:11, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Brilliant Keeper. Marian Kello gave him a great tribute, played a blinder and kept the jersey clean

And saved a penalty, Cruikie style. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• John Findlay

• Kiwidoug

• wattie exploited

My hero,

came to see me when i was in hospital, I was blown away, 

remember getting a wee bit angry at one of nurses who came up and him if he really was Jim Cruickshanks 

lovely guy, just smiled at her and he was

4 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Here it is

Christ, that's worse than I thought. The one I have is from the other side but doesn't show the hand in the back too.

On 11/09/2020 at 08:28, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Here is the Gemmill thunderbolt penalty!

8D335E0C-C90C-47D0-AEB9-8AC6D29AAE8C.jpeg

Great pic!

Have to agree with some of the sentiments on here - he was my all time football hero and the reason I started to support Hearts. A truly amazing player.

Actually I read a few years ago that Tommy Gemmell took 37 penalties; one hit the bar, one flew past the post and the other...

Only goalie to save one of his thunderbolt penalties. Incidentally that season Gemmell won a contest to find out who had the hardest shot in British football (Bobby Charlton was second).

complete control
13 hours ago, NotTheHoople said:

Great pic!

Have to agree with some of the sentiments on here - he was my all time football hero and the reason I started to support Hearts. A truly amazing player.

Actually I read a few years ago that Tommy Gemmell took 37 penalties; one hit the bar, one flew past the post and the other...

Only goalie to save one of his thunderbolt penalties. Incidentally that season Gemmell won a contest to find out who had the hardest shot in British football (Bobby Charlton was second).

Was Peter lorimer in the  contest  ? 😑

On 10/09/2020 at 22:52, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I posted a photo of Cruickie playing for Scotland against England - not sure why it was blank for some.

9437053A-1028-4712-B23C-F49FC821950D.jpeg

Cruickie was a hero to me as well. I was behind the goal on the East terracing proudly wearing my Hearts scarf as a tribute to him. I was on my own and got a few funny looks but didn't care. I got in early so wasn't aware of the crushing from the massive crowd until I went to leave. 

4 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

Cruickie was a hero to me as well. I was behind the goal on the East terracing proudly wearing my Hearts scarf as a tribute to him. I was on my own and got a few funny looks but didn't care. I got in early so wasn't aware of the crushing from the massive crowd until I went to leave. 

I was also at that end. I believe there were 10,000 forged tickets and the crush was so bad you literally could not get your hand in your pocket! 😳

The picture from 1970 shows the classic Scotland jersey and a traditional yellow goalkeeper top with number one on it. Oh for the days before replica jerseys, sponsors etc and football was just a sport and not an industry...

1 minute ago, jimbojambo said:

The picture from 1970 shows the classic Scotland jersey and a traditional yellow goalkeeper top with number one on it. Oh for the days before replica jerseys, sponsors etc and football was just a sport and not an industry...

That Scottish strip was iconic! ❤️👍

On 11/09/2020 at 14:11, luckydug said:

There was actually more than the 137k in attendance at that game. 

I went through with a pal and neither of us had tickets. On previous occasions I had seen touts selling tickets outside the ground and thought we could pick up a ticket no problem. Not that day though not a ticket to be had. Loads of folk looking for tickets. We got in eventually through a gate in the main stand enclosure that had been left open for programme sellers. 

Got a good place at the front of the enclosure. The game was a disappointing

0-0 but Crooky didn't let us down and shut up the arrogant English pundits who didn't rate him because he didn't play for one of the elite teams. 

The biggest crowd I have been in at the football and officially I wasn't there😁

England were the reigning World Champions at the time and I think this was there last game before heading off to Mexico

1 hour ago, maroonsgotop said:

England were the reigning World Champions at the time and I think this was their last game before heading off to Mexico

On 12/09/2020 at 03:21, Kiwidoug said:

When George Fleming scored the very late equaliser in the cup at Montrose, thousands invaded the pitch and the local plod flew into action.

Spotting a window of opportunity, I did a solo pitch invasion at the other end, and chatted away to Jim for 30 seconds or so.

I've always been suave like that.

I remember chatting to Dave Clunie after that goal went in, I would have spoke to Cruikie but someone beat me to it!!.

Newcastle away in the Texaco Cup when we equalised I got to speak to Cruikie on the edge of his box, he said "we have to clear the pitch we've got a game to win here"

Never a serial pitch invader but got a piece of Arbroath turf in the front lawn!!

23 hours ago, NotTheHoople said:

Great pic!

Gordon Marshall brilliantly saved a penalty from Gemmell at the Gorgie Road end in the 3-4 cup tie except the ref judged him to have moved before the ball was kicked so Gemmell got to take it again and scored the winner.  The only man in the 45,000 crowd that day who saw Marshall move.  He'd already given then 2 blatant offside goals after Hearts were up 2-1. Some things never change. 

On 11/09/2020 at 18:32, Torry Jambo said:

My memory has struggled over the years but I vaguely remember Jim doing a somersault at Pittodrie,after Donald Ford scored two goals In the last 5 minutes,to complete his Hat Trick and 10 man Hearts beat Aberdeen 3-2 In the early 1970s.My other memory of him was the Black Goalie Kit,which was unusual at the time.

This is the paper cuttings I have from that game and he wore the black top in the second leg of the 1971 Texaco cup Final at Molineux.

Aberdeen (A) 3-2 Nov 1971 Article.JPG

Aberdeen 3-2 (A) 27.11.1971 Cruickshank celebrates Ford's late winner.jpg

Cruickshank Pittodrie celebration Nov 1971 Pic 3.jpg

Jim Cruickshank wearing Black Kit.jpg

On 11/09/2020 at 23:11, jimbojambo said:

I remember Rangers fans throwing a couple of darts at him and he remarked to the cameramen that he was worried as there are three in a set. I was speaking to Davie Holt at a Queens Park game a few years back and he was still in touch with Jim's widow. He was taken way too young 

A few photos from my scrapbook when the darts were thrown at him by Rangers fans.

Cruickshank shows the ref darts thrown at him by Rangers fans.jpg

Cruickshanktries to concentrate afterf darts thrown at him by Rangers fans.jpg

Cruickshank dart incident v Rangers Full cutting.JPG

3 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Gordon Marshall brilliantly saved a penalty from Gemmell at the Gorgie Road end in the 3-4 cup tie except the ref judged him to have moved before the ball was kicked so Gemmell got to take it again and scored the winner.  The only man in the 45,000 crowd that day who saw Marshall move.  He'd already given then 2 blatant offside goals after Hearts were up 2-1. Some things never change. 

Yes, a man of the match performance from the ref that day.  If you didn't just shrug your shoulders you would cry.

2 hours ago, Big Drew said:

A few photos from my scrapbook when the darts were thrown at him by Rangers fans.

Cruickshank shows the ref darts thrown at him by Rangers fans.jpg

Cruickshanktries to concentrate afterf darts thrown at him by Rangers fans.jpg

Cruickshank dart incident v Rangers Full cutting.JPG

Thanks Drew I remember it well. Just goes to show bad behaviour has been around a very long time

On 10/09/2020 at 21:38, Kiwidoug said:

As the OP will know, that photo depicts Jim Cruickshank perfectly.  Not a tall man, his timing in the air was exceptional and he soared gracefully to collect high balls again and again.

He remains my favourite footballer of all time and in an age of great goalkeepers, I truly believe he was world class.

As posted on here many times, he's the only player I have ever seen applauded of the field by both sides and that happened twice.

Cruickie and Donald Ford were my first Hearts heroes.

On 10/09/2020 at 23:42, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

There was no urge from the fans! That came from the Board as Cruickie was the players spokesmen when they were getting stitched up on wages and bonuses!

Yeah, then when manager Bobby Seith was sacked Jim Cruikshank was rightfully reinstated to number 1

or as the announcer used to say back then:: “number one and goalkeeper Cruikshank” 

I also used to walk round the track with the trays selling the juice wagon wheels etc, when at one game, Jim obviously spotting me wearing my Hearts scarf shouting “son son” I look round to see what’s up,, there’s Jim Cruikshank asking me to take his tracksuit bottoms to the dugout,,  nothing like what today’s youngsters can get with meeting players,, but a wee proud moment for me,,

along with Drew Busby and Bobby Prentice,, Jim Cruikshank are  my Georgie hero’s ❤️❤️❤️

I sent him the wrong way in a penalty shoot thing at Craigroyston summer gala. I was only 9. Pretty sure he took a bung from my Dad, definately seen money change hands. 🤔. Corrupt or not, always my Hearts hero. 

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 06:48, merrymac said:

Was at that game!

If i remember there was an issue with forged tickets and a bigger attendance than stated.The crush during and after the match was unbelievable.

Finished 0-0 England had a goal disallowed for offside,and "we hate Jimmy Hill" was given a good airing.

Was around 16 at the time and remember being so proud for Cruickie.

Ron McKinnon beside Cruickie.

I was there too.

Turned out I was in the end where the forged tickets were printed for.

Remember Beer cans being used as urinals where people stood at half time, as it was so packed you literally couldn't move!

Also remember the foul on Stein by Labone, and next day the nwspapers were showing the bruises on his thigh that Labone inflicted.

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

I sent him the wrong way in a penalty shoot thing at Craigroyston summer gala. I was only 9. Pretty sure he took a bung from my Dad, definately seen money change hands. 🤔. Corrupt or not, always my Hearts hero. 

That was 1973. I put two passed him and no money changed hands.

I loved it when Cruicky had signed for Dumbarton & Hearts played them at Boghead , all the fans started to cheer for him rather than Ray Dunlop who`d been signed to replace him . As many have stated JC was a true legend for Hearts between the sticks .

Gorgie Boot boy

Jim Cruickshank was the first Hearts goal keeper i remember watching as a kid, after Jim it is Henry Smith then Craig Gordon as the three main men between the posts in Hearts goalie socks. Jim was indeed the greatest to of worn the Hearts gloves.

Jim-Cruickshank-213x300.jpg

2 hours ago, jamboron said:

I loved it when Cruicky had signed for Dumbarton & Hearts played them at Boghead , all the fans started to cheer for him rather than Ray Dunlop who`d been signed to replace him . As many have stated JC was a true legend for Hearts between the sticks .

Ray Dunlop was a poor, poor replacement for Jim. 

1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Jim Cruickshank was the first Hearts goal keeper i remember watching as a kid, after Jim it is Henry Smith then Craig Gordon as the three main men between the posts in Hearts goalie socks. Jim was indeed the greatest to of worn the Hearts gloves.

Jim-Cruickshank-213x300.jpg

What about Niemi.

Gorgie Boot boy

I did say top three.

Jim is by far the greatest keeper in my time supporting Hearts followed By Henry Smith who is an absolute icon. Craig Gordon is a local lad who happens to be the most capped goal keeper and the top transfer receipt in Hearts history for any player. Other Goal keepers can fight it out in people minds depending on age etc who else is in there. Antti Niemi was a top class keeper that is a fact some of his saves were crucial and also inspirational , if you are a goal keeper.

2 hours ago, farin said:

726ED833-90B1-43DC-A7D6-FCDDF401A9EE.thumb.jpeg.aeb09d33f2bc0beed02406abf99d6861.jpeg

love this promo image of cruicky in mid air. 

The ‘wee wall’ is impressive! Probably 18 inches high pitch side and 4 feet high crowd side. Painted black behind the goals and the rest white! Why not black around the whole pitch?

59 minutes ago, farin said:

No idea tbh, could be to help the officials if it lined up with the 18 yard box looking towards goal?. 

2EFA8123-73E8-4A5B-99EA-EEC178C58C9E.thumb.jpeg.12298ee7837ba8c897ae5e1a176e6529.jpeg

053EBCF8-AA3A-4CF8-A355-F754F0E52D35.thumb.jpeg.622ac7ad2a97eea619ff64ace4e034fa.jpeg

But I used to lean against it in the enclosure as a boy. 😄 

Good to see you posting again, D.

You keeping ok?

wattie exploited

the 3 best keepers that have been at hearts are Jim Cruikshank  legend    Marian Kello,   great keeper and Craig Gordon  the last 5  keepers have been shit excluding Jon mclaughlin who was ok :rifle:

Edited by wattie exploited

5 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

the 3 best keepers that have been at hearts are Jim Cruikshank  legend    Marian Kello,   great keeper and Craig Gordon  the last 5  keepers have been shit excluding Jon mclaughlin who was ok :rifle:

Kello better than Niemi? :berra:

10 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

Kello is a weird one, Wattie.

The other two?

Definitely.

Craig Herbertson

Cruikie was a cult, a legend and a hero all in one.  The picture of the penalty save against Gemmell doesn't do it justice.

5 hours ago, Craig Herbertson said:

Cruikie was a cult, a legend and a hero all in one.  The picture of the penalty save against Gemmell doesn't do it justice.

Yip, he was indeed.

12 hours ago, farin said:

726ED833-90B1-43DC-A7D6-FCDDF401A9EE.thumb.jpeg.aeb09d33f2bc0beed02406abf99d6861.jpeg

love this promo image of cruicky in mid air. 

Does anyone still have the book this pic was from, I cut this one out and pinned on my bedroom wall. My favourite player, with Donald Ford next along with Rab Prentice

wattie exploited
12 hours ago, Morgan said:

Kello is a weird one, Wattie.

The other two?

Definitely.

sorry i meant Niemi getting them mixed up 

Some brilliant images and memories posted on this thread  🙂

Never had the honor of seeing Cruicky play in the flesh. Top drawer Keeper by all accounts. 

“If a footballer's career can be measured by the esteem in which he was held by supporters, rather than simply through the accumulation of medals and caps, then Jim Cruickshank was undoubtedly one of the most successful players of his generation.”

Was just having a tidy up and found the program for his testimonial night at the Odeon

Looks like its signed by him and Willie Bauld. The ticket for the night was inside

10 hours ago, Iceman1956 said:

Does anyone still have the book this pic was from, I cut this one out and pinned on my bedroom wall. My favourite player, with Donald Ford next along with Rab Prentice

44D92D38-EF8A-4AA6-B2E4-00ACCA5A3D58.jpeg

37160329-777A-445F-AE3B-7C01C19E94B0.jpeg

0D8AD3A5-F84A-4010-9F1F-606B82049DBF.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thank you!

DDEE43C9-95FB-4AA7-A909-800DF4CD316B.jpeg

I've still got those. Anyone remember they raffled a Willie Bauld Scotland Jersey? A young guy won it, was offered a wad of cash by some businessman for it, but kept it. Great night.

Many people have already said this, but in the grim era that was the early to mid 1970s Cruickshank and Ford were the two shining lights. Heroes and legends, both of them.

And then things actually got worse...

😱

Craig Herbertson
17 hours ago, Iceman1956 said:

Same here. Cruikie and Ford rarely put a foot wrong and Prentice on his day was amazing. Playing subbuteo with my Hibs mate he had to agree that Prentice gets an extra kick and Cruickie a centimetre on the goalie stick. Wasn't even an argument about it.