Jim Cruickshank

Thomaso

21 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I assumed Joe Davis was a mistake and meant to be Joe Baker, until I looked it up.

Davis last game for Hibs was March 1969. I have always heard of the Gemmill penalty save, but first time for this one. Any idea which year?

Around 1971 I think.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• John Findlay

• Kiwidoug

• jimbojambo

willie wallace

I was also at the game v England in 1966(it was  hard to type that last bit)

My Mum got 2 tickets from Tommy Walker who she knew from her work for me and my dad.

He would not go as he was not a fan of the SFA and their Glasgow bias

(nothing changes ).

My mum took me and as a 12yr.old in my first international in front of 130000 fans it was something I will never forget.Pity about the result.

I seem to remember a lot of whisky being drunk

Not by my mum though😀

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I assumed Joe Davis was a mistake and meant to be Joe Baker, until I looked it up.

Davis last game for Hibs was March 1969. I have always heard of the Gemmill penalty save, but first time for this one. Any idea which year?

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Around 1971 I think.

1966 in the Scottish Cup, lads. Hearts 2 Hibs 1.

Before my time (b1968) but my dad was a great admirer of Cruikie and often spoke of his exploits. Like many at the time, he named his cat after him. 

The triple save came less than a year later. 

Edited by martoon

Definetely my favourite Hearts player.I remember a game when the action was nowhere near him and he went down injured.

John Cummings who was the Trainer at the time came running on with the magic sponge bag. No sponge came out, but an old transistor radio did for him to check the racing .He would also when taking a bye kick shout out to those behind the goals asking the result of a particular horse race.He was an absolute pleasure to talk to and the dissapointment always came out if you asked anything about Hearts.A dark day in our history when such a great player and person wasnt looked after better by the club.

11 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

A093E1FC-F673-49CF-9AEC-25717EBE438C.thumb.jpeg.fd699924d664737604ba0dab735e8aad.jpeg

Edited by Disco Ball
Memories ..... I was there

33 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Cruickie.

The greatest player I have ever seen.

Was my hero then and is still my hero now

Me too! 👍❤️

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Here is the Gemmill thunderbolt penalty!

8D335E0C-C90C-47D0-AEB9-8AC6D29AAE8C.jpeg

9 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Celtic won the league that day IIRC.😖

By the way Jim Townsend was sent off that day for FA.......

47 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

By the way Jim Townsend was sent off that day for FA.......

I remember it well. Squared up to David Hay. Both of them eye balled each other,  but nothing else. Archie Webster, I think, sent off Jim Townsend but did nothing with Hay.

The penalty was dubious too. Alan Anderson certainly handled the ball, but seemed to be standing outsidd the penalty area.

It was a great performance from Hearts to get the 0-0 draw, with Celtic needing at least a draw for their 5th title in a row.

3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I remember it well. Squared up to David Hay. Both of them eye balled each other,  but nothing else. Archie Webster, I think, sent off Jim Townsend but did nothing with Hay.

The penalty was dubious too. Alan Anderson certainly handled the ball, but seemed to be standing outsidd the penalty area.

And nothing has changed! 😏

15 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

As the OP will know, that photo depicts Jim Cruickshank perfectly.  Not a tall man, his timing in the air was exceptional and he soared gracefully to collect high balls again and again.

He remains my favourite footballer of all time and in an age of great goalkeepers, I truly believe he was world class.

As posted on here many times, he's the only player I have ever seen applauded of the field by both sides and that happened twice.

Certainly my favourite ever Hearts goalkeeper.

I was at the game as well.so long ago.Train through that day where I got a ticket. The state of the terracing ,how there wasn't an accident I don't know. 

9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Cruickshank, Shevlane, Holt.

Just trips off the tongue.

Absolutely does

-

Anderson Thomson Miller

Jensen Townsend Ford Irvine Traynor.:thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

He saved a Joe Davis penalty in the Hibs game and a Tommy Gemmill penalty in the Celtic one if I’m not mistaken. 🤔

He also saved a Bobby Lennox penalty in 1974 at the Gorgie Road end in the postage stamp corner in a 1-1 draw. I saw it perfectly from the school end. I think the only Scotland keeper to keep a clean sheet against England in the from 1965-1974 I believe.

Despite the goalies we have had in my lifetime. Cruikie to me is still the best of the lot.

14 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Cheers .... “Cruickshank for Scotland”!

I’m sure I was at that game, but can’t really remember any details, I think I was probably on an SMT / Eastern Scottish bus from St Andrews Square. Cruickie should have had loads of more caps, but back then as it still is the ‘infirm players’** were always picked! 

** like Mike Galloway who went to

Celtic

They picked Bobby Clark of Aberdeen and Ally Hunter of Celtic before Cruikie. Criminal it was. 

15 hours ago, sassenach said:

A bit off topic, but what a crowd!

Although I was brought up on terraces, capacities had already started to be cut when I started going to football in the very late 70s so I've never experienced a proper massive attendance like that. Pictures like that make me wish I was ten years older.

There was actually more than the 137k in attendance at that game. 

I went through with a pal and neither of us had tickets. On previous occasions I had seen touts selling tickets outside the ground and thought we could pick up a ticket no problem. Not that day though not a ticket to be had. Loads of folk looking for tickets. We got in eventually through a gate in the main stand enclosure that had been left open for programme sellers. 

Got a good place at the front of the enclosure. The game was a disappointing

0-0 but Crooky didn't let us down and shut up the arrogant English pundits who didn't rate him because he didn't play for one of the elite teams. 

The biggest crowd I have been in at the football and officially I wasn't there😁

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Absolutely does

-

Anderson Thomson Miller

Jensen Townsend Ford Irvine Traynor.:thumbsup:

wee tear to the eye thinking of standing with my mates playing three card brag at the stanchion below the pie stand

16 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

The fans loved him and chanted Cruikshank for Scotland and Aye, aye, aye,aye Cruikshank is better than Yashin. Never got the urge to drop him for Kenny Garland

Yeah at least Cruickie didn't get stained with 7-0 although looking at some of those goals I think if he had played it would have 3-4 at most

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

wee tear to the eye thinking of standing with my mates playing three card brag at the stanchion below the pie stand

:thumbsup:

You stood not far from me then.

Used to stand just before the corner near the floodlight pylon.

Different days 🤩

My memory has struggled over the years but I vaguely remember Jim doing a somersault at Pittodrie,after Donald Ford scored two goals In the last 5 minutes,to complete his Hat Trick and 10 man Hearts beat Aberdeen 3-2 In the early 1970s.My other memory of him was the Black Goalie Kit,which was unusual at the time.

10 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Here is the Gemmill thunderbolt penalty!

8D335E0C-C90C-47D0-AEB9-8AC6D29AAE8C.jpeg

Just look at Gemmell, both feet completely off the ground with the power he put in. There was another photo from the Sunday Post showing Cruikie diving and he was parallel to the ground. Obviously taken moments after this one. Great days.😍

21 minutes ago, Torry Jambo said:

My memory has struggled over the years but I vaguely remember Jim doing a somersault at Pittodrie,after Donald Ford scored two goals In the last 5 minutes,to complete his Hat Trick and 10 man Hearts beat Aberdeen 3-2 In the early 1970s.My other memory of him was the Black Goalie Kit,which was unusual at the time.

He did a forward overhead flip thingy (think that’s the technical term) after the SC semi-final victory over Morton in 1968.

2 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Yeah at least Cruickie didn't get stained with 7-0 although looking at some of those goals I think if he had played it would have 3-4 at most

Funny enough Andy I was going to post Cruickie would never have conceded 7 goals then I remembered the Dundee game at Tynecastle in 1965 which cost us the league in the long run. To make a bad day worse I was on the bus home when Hearts scored late on. 

22 hours ago, merrymac said:

Was at that game!

If i remember there was an issue with forged tickets and a bigger attendance than stated.The crush during and after the match was unbelievable.

Finished 0-0 England had a goal disallowed for offside,and "we hate Jimmy Hill" was given a good airing.

Was around 16 at the time and remember being so proud for Cruickie.

Ron McKinnon beside Cruickie.

Yes, I was also there, 17yo. I am tall, but it was so packed my feet literally never touched the ash terrace. Scotland had a cast iron penalty denied I think...

Cruickie was outstanding.

Another Cruickie memory was him at Cappielow where the crowd are/were right close behind the goal. When the ball was up the park, Jim would shout round to supporters behind him for the racing results.What a man.

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

Another Cruickie memory was him at Cappielow where the crowd are/were right close behind the goal. When the ball was up the park, Jim would shout round to supporters behind him for the racing results.What a man.

PS Donald Ford scored a hat trick of penalties that day IIRC.

50 minutes ago, Wilson said:

PS Donald Ford scored a hat trick of penalties that day IIRC.

I was at cappielaw late 60s early 70s.We were 0-2 down with 15 minutes to go we won 3-2.Could that be the game 

49 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

I was at cappielaw late 60s early 70s.We were 0-2 down with 15 minutes to go we won 3-2.Could that be the game 

I was at that game!

51 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

1st September 1973, first game of the season. Donald Ford hat trick of penalties? The following week we beat Hibs 4-1 at Tynecastle.

3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I was at that game!

Thank christ someone remembers that game. It was a great afternoon. I was spoken to by Glasgow's finest that day Haha 

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

1st September 1973, first game of the season. Donald Ford hat trick of penalties? The following week we beat Hibs 4-1 at Tynecastle.

Great days john.

13 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

Thank christ someone remembers that game. It was a great afternoon. I was spoken to by Glasgow's finest that day Haha 

Not Greenock’s finest? 😉

I remember Rangers fans throwing a couple of darts at him and he remarked to the cameramen that he was worried as there are three in a set. I was speaking to Davie Holt at a Queens Park game a few years back and he was still in touch with Jim's widow. He was taken way too young 

On 10/09/2020 at 23:41, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That save then saving the two rebounds was just out of this world. What a hero Cruickie was that day - and on many others!

Below is a photo of one of the rebound saves against Hibs.

464C3A30-1995-4C70-B3BE-A53489C4CAD1.jpeg

Edited by Thomaso

When George Fleming scored the very late equaliser in the cup at Montrose, thousands invaded the pitch and the local plod flew into action.

Spotting a window of opportunity, I did a solo pitch invasion at the other end, and chatted away to Jim for 30 seconds or so.

I've always been suave like that.

I remember going to Boghead in 1977 for our first game in the 1st division. Cruickie was then Dumbarton goalie. I think it finished 2-2 and the Hearts fans spent the whole game singing about Cruickie moving round the stadium to be behind his goal both halfs. 

On 11/09/2020 at 07:48, The Treasurer said:

Cruickie.

The greatest player I have ever seen.

Was my hero then and is still my hero now

Always loved him, his night at the odeon was epic, cant remember what date, about 78 maybe earlier.

On 10 September 2020 at 21:55, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I was also at the game. Pretty sure we were denied a stonewall penalty wjlhen Brian Labone brought down Colin Stein.

Correct. I used to have a photo from behind the goal line (Sunday Mail I think), Colin Stein is directly above Labones high raised knee. Stonewaller.

22 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

Correct. I used to have a photo from behind the goal line (Sunday Mail I think), Colin Stein is directly above Labones high raised knee. Stonewaller.

It has been posted on this thread

On 10/09/2020 at 22:41, The Goalscoring Knee said:

10th May 1969. England centre half Brian Labone can do nothing to stop  Scotland's Colin Stein making a dr… | England football team, Retro  football, England football

Think it qualified as an upending, right enough!

Here it is