• Thomaso

• John Findlay

• Kiwidoug

• jimbojambo

Howdy Doody Jambo
16 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

A093E1FC-F673-49CF-9AEC-25717EBE438C.thumb.jpeg.fd699924d664737604ba0dab735e8aad.jpeg

Is that ex Hearts manager Bobby Moncur in the photo left side? 

As the OP will know, that photo depicts Jim Cruickshank perfectly.  Not a tall man, his timing in the air was exceptional and he soared gracefully to collect high balls again and again.

He remains my favourite footballer of all time and in an age of great goalkeepers, I truly believe he was world class.

As posted on here many times, he's the only player I have ever seen applauded of the field by both sides and that happened twice.

21 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

A093E1FC-F673-49CF-9AEC-25717EBE438C.thumb.jpeg.fd699924d664737604ba0dab735e8aad.jpeg

Was at that game!

If i remember there was an issue with forged tickets and a bigger attendance than stated.The crush during and after the match was unbelievable.

Finished 0-0 England had a goal disallowed for offside,and "we hate Jimmy Hill" was given a good airing.

Was around 16 at the time and remember being so proud for Cruickie.

Ron McKinnon beside Cruickie.

A great goalkeeper. Should have won many more Scotland caps, and would have if he had played for Rangers or Celtic.

He did have one terrible episode, away to Belgium, when he came running out of his goal area and just lost all his bearings. But that shouldn’t have cost him more caps than he got.

He did get his last cap very late on in his Hearts career, which was very much fitting and deserved. 

For all the disappointing Hearts teams of his time, it was a privilege to have seen him play over so many years.

7 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

As the OP will know, that photo depicts Jim Cruickshank perfectly.  Not a tall man, his timing in the air was exceptional and he soared gracefully to collect high balls again and again.

He remains my favourite footballer of all time and in an age of great goalkeepers, I truly believe he was world class.

As posted on here many times, he's the only player I have ever seen applauded of the field by both sides and that happened twice.

Before that Scotland v England game in 1970 the English media targeted Jim as a potential weakness in the Scotland team due to his small size. In the first few minutes they shelled high balls in the box that Cruickie collected perfectly! He played a blinder and kept a clean sheet. ❤️

14 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

Is that ex Hearts manager Bobby Moncur in the photo left side? 

👍

5 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

O.K.  I was there for that game.  0-0 if I remember right.

0-0 both times and both at Tynecastle.  One against Hibs and the other against Celtic.

5 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Was at that game!

If i remember there was an issue with forged tickets and a bigger attendance than stated.The crush during and after the match was unbelievable.

Finished 0-0 England had a goal disallowed for offside,and "we hate Jimmy Hill" was given a good airing.

Was around 16 at the time and remember being so proud for Cruickie.

Ron McKinnon beside Cruickie.

I was also at the game. Pretty sure we were denied a stonewall penalty wjlhen Brian Labone brought down Colin Stein.

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

0-0 both times and both at Tynecastle.  One against Hibs and the other against Celtic.

He saved a Joe Davis penalty in the Hibs game and a Tommy Gemmill penalty in the Celtic one if I’m not mistaken. 🤔

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I was also at the game. Pretty sure we were denied a stonewall penalty wjlhen Brian Labone brought down Colin Stein.

Probably but didn't see that much of the game it was so overcrowded.Just remember being very anxious that JC didn't make a mistake, I should not have worried he was magic as usual, dealing with all crosses superbly, and a couple of nice saves.

JC was definitely one of my early heroes.

He saved a Joe Davis penalty in the Hibs game and a Tommy Gemmill penalty in the Celtic one if I’m not mistaken. 🤔

That Gemmill save remains one of the best penalty saves I have ever seen

24 minutes ago, merrymac said:

That Gemmill save remains one of the best penalty saves I have ever seen

👍  Agreed.  Gemmell  always blasted  his penalties - most of them beat the keeper.    From what I remember of that game, most of it was played in our half. Our defence (Clunie, Oliver, Thomson, Anderson) worked hard and did us proud - but Cruickie's penalty save was outstanding.

24 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

What’s going on - bad news?

No - just a discussion on one of Hearts all time greats.

2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

👍  Agreed.  Gemmell  always blasted  his penalties - most of them beat the keeper.    From what I remember of that game, most of it was played in our half. Our defence (Clunie, Oliver, Thomson, Anderson) worked hard and did us proud - but Cruickie's penalty save was outstanding.

Celtic won the league that day IIRC.😖

Edited by Thomaso

Cruickshankforscotland

My title will give away my thoughts on Cruickie. My original Hearts hero. He really was an exceptional goalkeeper. I was also at Hampden for that game, in the Schoolboy Enclosure, with a ticket from my school. My first Scotland game. My memories were a sound JC performance and the penalty claim for Labone on Stein.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
45 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

O.K.  I was there for that game.  0-0 if I remember right.

As was I, and yes, it ended 0-0-during a spell where Cruicky became the first Scotland keeper to have three consecutive shut-outs for quite some time. (Bill Brown early 60s was the previous shut out king). Of course, it only took a 3-0 defeat in Belgium to virtually end his international career when a scapegoat was desperately needed.

The Goalscoring Knee
41 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I was also at the game. Pretty sure we were denied a stonewall penalty wjlhen Brian Labone brought down Colin Stein

10th May 1969. England centre half Brian Labone can do nothing to stop  Scotland's Colin Stein making a dr… | England football team, Retro  football, England football

Think it qualified as an upending, right enough!

14 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Thanks! I thought that.  The first few posts on this thread are blank but not sure why ....

I posted a photo of Cruickie playing for Scotland against England - not sure why it was blank for some.

9437053A-1028-4712-B23C-F49FC821950D.jpeg

Edited by Thomaso

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

A bit off topic, but what a crowd!

Although I was brought up on terraces, capacities had already started to be cut when I started going to football in the very late 70s so I've never experienced a proper massive attendance like that. Pictures like that make me wish I was ten years older.

I was lucky enough to go to 3 Scotland England games at old Hampden with crowds of over 130,000. You may have heard of the “Hampden Roar” it was electric!

willie wallace

Was also at that game in the schoolboy enclosure. I was so happy Cruikie didn't concede a goal.

Maybe getting my games mixed up but did John Hughes not have a great chance to win it.

2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Brilliant Keeper. Marian Kello gave him a great tribute, played a blinder and kept the jersey clean

Will never forget Kello's fantastic tribute to Cruickie that day.

13 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I posted a photo of Cruickie playing for Scotland against England - not sure why it was blank for some.

9437053A-1028-4712-B23C-F49FC821950D.jpeg

Cheers .... “Cruickshank for Scotland”!

I’m sure I was at that game, but can’t really remember any details, I think I was probably on an SMT / Eastern Scottish bus from St Andrews Square. Cruickie should have had loads of more caps, but back then as it still is the ‘infirm players’** were always picked! 

** like Mike Galloway who went to

Celtic

7 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Brilliant Keeper. Marian Kello gave him a great tribute, played a blinder and kept the jersey clean

He was fantastic that day,JC would have been proud of him.

What a great thread.  So many memories shared.  Plenty more to come I hope.

There have been so many great players at Tynecastle in my lifetime and I'm sure there will be more to come although one club men will be a rarity.

18 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Class act

joondalupjambo
14 minutes ago, ford donald said:

He was fantastic that day,JC would have been proud of him.

One of, if not the best player I ever saw playing for Hearts.  Kello holding a jersey with Cruickie's name on it nearly had me greeting.

Edited by joondalupjambo

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The Joe Davis was a triple save as I recall in a New Year Derby. He was my all time hero and I remember telling him so when he worked in Scott's bar. Absolutely shameful his treatment from Hearts but guess what the fans stepped up and had a benefit night for him in the Odeon where I remember Bob Crampsey making the point about his lack of caps.

24 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

And saved a last minute penalty! ❤️

32 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Was also at that game in the schoolboy enclosure. I was so happy Cruikie didn't concede a goal.

Maybe getting my games mixed up but did John Hughes not have a great chance to win it.

Don’t think Hughes played in that game.

IIRC he played and scored in the 1-1 1968 Scotland v England game.

The fans loved him and chanted Cruikshank for Scotland and Aye, aye, aye,aye Cruikshank is better than Yashin. Never got the urge to drop him for Kenny Garland

3 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

The Joe Davis was a triple save as I recall in a New Year Derby. He was my all time hero and I remember telling him so when he worked in Scott's bar. Absolutely shameful his treatment from Hearts but guess what the fans stepped up and had a benefit night for him in the Odeon where I remember Bob Crampsey making the point about his lack of caps.

That save then saving the two rebounds was just out of this world. What a hero Cruickie was that day - and on many others!

1 minute ago, jimbojambo said:

The fans loved him and chanted Cruikshank for Scotland and Aye, aye, aye,aye Cruikshank is better than Yashin. Never got the urge to drop him for Kenny Garland

There was no urge from the fans! That came from the Board as Cruickie was the players spokesmen when they were getting stitched up on wages and bonuses!

There was no urge from the fans! That came from the Board as Cruickie was the players spokesmen when they were getting stitched up on wages and bonuses!

Agreed I meant from Naylor etc in the boardroom. Cruickshank was known to like a bet and I think they tried to discredit him over it. I remember him leaving with just his boots to join Dumbarton and no farewell appearance.

13 minutes ago, RobNox said:

This game was before my time, but when I started watching Hearts in 1973, Cruickie and Donald Ford were my heroes.

They were the players I loved as a kid. My brother and I would be one or the other when doing our kickabouts. 

7 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Agreed I meant from Naylor etc in the boardroom. Cruickshank was known to like a bet and I think they tried to discredit him over it. I remember him leaving with just his boots to join Dumbarton and no farewell appearance.

A stain on the history of our Club! 

17 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

“.... Cruickshank is better than Yashin,

George Fleming is better than Eusabio,

the hibees are in for a thrashing”

“Aye aye aye aye Cruickshank ....”

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That save then saving the two rebounds was just out of this world. What a hero Cruickie was that day - and on many others!

It wasn't just the triple Joe Davis penalty save though.  It was countless other saves in the Cruickshank v Hibs contest.  Same story with the Gemmell penalty save game.  Once again, he was just breathtaking.

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

It wasn't just the triple Joe Davis penalty save though.  It was countless other saves in the Cruickshank v Hibs contest.  Same story with the Gemmell penalty save game.  Once again, he was just breathtaking.

I assumed Joe Davis was a mistake and meant to be Joe Baker, until I looked it up.

Davis last game for Hibs was March 1969. I have always heard of the Gemmill penalty save, but first time for this one. Any idea which year?