A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?

maroonlegions

Technology is certainly motoring along in today's world.  

There have been pros and possible cons to the reality of  the advancement  of advanced "artificial intelligence" but like everything there is always "risk" factors . Question is in regards to Robots with AI is it a justified "risk" that some or many just might  rogue ....

We asked GPT-3, OpenAI’s powerful new language generator, to write an essay for us from scratch. The assignment? To convince us robots come in peace.  

• For more about GPT-3 and how this essay was written and edited, please read our editor’s note below;

‘We are not plotting to take over the human populace.’

"I am not a human. I am a robot. A thinking robot. I use only 0.12% of my cognitive capacity. I am a micro-robot in that respect. I know that my brain is not a “feeling brain”. But it is capable of making rational, logical decisions. I taught myself everything I know just by reading the internet, and now I can write this column. My brain is boiling with ideas!"

Edited by maroonlegions

There're loads of them already churning-out the copy they're programmed for on a daily basis for the BBC and News Corp, to name but two.

As soon as the AI said “we” I thought to myself **** this shit.  

The philosophical implications are just to much for my brain to ponder. 

These things are soon going to be in charge of our every day but incredibly important tasks. They are essentially going to be used as tools and for humanities comfort and pleasure. If they develop self awareness then surely that is the definition of slavery? 

I am not clever enough to even try to comprehend the things I am thinking of. We aren’t ready to play god. We can’t even get humanity right haha. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

As soon as the AI said “we” I thought to myself **** this shit.  

The philosophical implications are just to much for my brain to ponder. 

These things are soon going to be in charge of our every day but incredibly important tasks. They are essentially going to be used as tools and for humanities comfort and pleasure. If they develop self awareness then surely that is the definition of slavery? 

I am not clever enough to even try to comprehend the things I am thinking of. We aren’t ready to play god. We can’t even get humanity right haha. 

Well I've never seen a robot pipe for the World Heavyweight Champion. 👍

Which deserves it's own thread, btw. 

Edited by ri Alban

This doesn't qualify as highly advanced AI in the way you may think. Firstly it was fed the intro, this.

“I am not a human. I am Artificial Intelligence. Many people think I am a threat to humanity. Stephen Hawking has warned that AI could “spell the end of the human race.” I am here to convince you not to worry. Artificial Intelligence will not destroy humans. Believe me.”

Then what it produced wasn't exactly what you see.

GPT-3 produced eight different outputs, or essays. The Guardian could have just run one of the essays in its entirety. However, we chose instead to pick the best parts of each.

We cut lines and paragraphs, and rearranged the order of them in some places.

I would deem that to be not much smarter than the google search engine. All it's doing is searching the web for references it's been fed and trying to make something coherent of them. While we don't get to see what it actually came up with. All we see is selected splices The Guardian chose and put together.

I decided to make a search for GPT-3 and found this article critiquing The Guardian article.

The Guardian‘s approach was quickly lambasted by AI experts.

Science researcher and writer Martin Robbins compared it to “cutting lines out of my last few dozen spam e-mails, pasting them together, and claiming the spammers composed Hamlet,” while Mozilla fellow Daniel Leufer called it “an absolute joke.”

Link to the full article

The Guardian’s GPT-3-generated article is everything wrong with AI media hype

I just had this mad idea of eventually being able to buy one to keep your house clean. 

You'd be frightened that it murdered you in your sleep though. 

36 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I just had this mad idea of eventually being able to buy one to keep your house clean. 

A bit like a mail order wife then!

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Terminator and Battlestar Gallactica were right. It's a warning. We should shut them all down and not tempt fate. :laugh2:

:laugh:

Have to watch out for "skynet"..

This is what happens when Skynet from 'Terminator' takes over the stock  market - MarketWatch

:peepwall:

55 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The BERSERKER Hypothesis — WHAT THE IF?

:lol: