Olly Lee Interview

David Black

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Hi Damour’s agent, you alright?  Osh and the fish was well more than two years too.  Easy money. 🤬🤬

No idea what that means 

I like Olly Lee, he has quality.

He's a creative player that'll sit and play key passes, he'll also ping one in the TC every so often so I'm not quite sure why he's getting picked up on for his lack of pace. 

I know we're in the Championship and we'll create a tonne of chances, but even if we were in the Prem, having a balanced midfield with good creative players will see us score a barrell load because we have goalscorers in the likes of Walker, Naismith and Boyce.

Good luck to Olly, I hope he thoroughly enjoys his second spell at the club, seems like he's doing just that.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Levein seemed to start collecting players - maybe a consequence of being backed too much financially by Budge.

Signed Edwards then realised he could still get Naismith and ditched Edwards without giving him a chance. Signed Garrucio then Demi Mitchell became available so signed him too instead of persisting with Garrucio. Got the chance to sign Whelan and Damour, and fair enough we did need experienced CM cover when Haring got injured and Djoum finally left, but ditched Irving after his promising start.

Neilson seems to be much more targeted in his signings.

I never understood what Levein was doing with Edwards as I always thought he would be useful.

I'm not sure CL knew as well.

7 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

I never understood what Levein was doing with Edwards as I always thought he would be useful.

I'm not sure CL knew as well.

Letting him go right after he took his chance and actually showed some promise was one of Levein’s many WTAF moments

11 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

He's a creative player that'll sit and play key passes, he'll also ping one in the TC every so often so I'm not quite sure why he's getting picked up on for his lack of pace. 

I know we're in the Championship and we'll create a tonne of chances, but even if we were in the Prem, having a balanced midfield with good creative players will see us score a barrell load because we have goalscorers in the likes of Walker, Naismith and Boyce.

Good luck to Olly, I hope he thoroughly enjoys his second spell at the club, seems like he's doing just that.

Workrate . That is all he needs to be a really good player.

His interview spoke volumes to me, and it also confirmed my worst fears. Levein and his merry men sucked the life and enjoyment out the club and destroyed players in the process.

I was really impressed with Lee when he first came, playing alongside Haring in the middle of the park. He's got an on ball quality that no other midfielder at Hearts has, and at 28 he's also got the experience to help the young ones.

Fingers crossed he comes back and dominates games for us.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I am pleased he is back and ready to show what he can really do. Lee is one of those players who doesn't need to have great pace as he has good positional sense and can drift into dangerous positions in and out of the box always looking for a chance to shoot. That is how he started but it looked like he was told to sit deeper and try and dictate play under Levein which didn't work when teams flooded the midfield knowing we were weak there. 

He could be one of our best players this season with a free role under Robbie's leadership!

The Old Tolbooth
14 hours ago, OTT said:

'With this manager at the helm, we've got a real chance of success in the future'

Subtle Olly :D 

Seriously though, Levein had clearly turned the football department into a farce. I liked Lee's no nonsense 'beat everybody'. Very steely minded and absolutely the right attitude. 

I think both Lee and Edwards would have served us well last season. Neither a world beater but getting rid was an awful decision in hindsight. Had anyone realised how amatuar a shop Levein was running I think we'd have approached Whelan and Damour with a lot more caution. Whilst he'll lose zero sleep over it,  I don't think i'll ever be able to forgive Levein for managing to relegate us whilst we pumped millions into the club and he had effectively carte blanche to build the football department he always dreamed about. Stendel may have taken us down, but the ship was already going under when Levein was sacked. 

I really am impressed with how Lee spoke, seemed to give off a very pissed off no nonsense vibe with respect to the club being demoted. 

The underlined comment from you is how I want the players to feel for every single game they go into, I want us to be pissed off with every single team we play because we shouldn't be in that league, and when we get 2 or 3 goals in front, I want us to keep going and go for their jugulars big time, and to start with the scummiest club of all first is a dream for us to lay down a real marker. 

Players generally say what they think is the right thing to get fans on board. I think Lee has some skill but needs to get more involved than previous. Good luck to him. 

Really don’t get the hate for Lee. 

In season 18/19 he contributed 6 goals and 12 assists in 41 games whilst Djoum played 40 games contributing 3 goals and 3 assists yet folk still moan about how much the team missed Djoum last season.

Edited by Chaps

16 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Really don’t get the hate for Lee. 

In season 18/19 he contributed 6 goals and 12 assists in 41 games whilst Djoum played 40 games contributing 3 goals and 3 assists yet folk still moan about how much the team missed Djoum last season.

Yep, he always seemed to want to make things happen even if his ability was not quite up to it all the time.

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’m glad he’s back. 
wish Hearts would have interviews in full on their TV channel. Cutting off after 22 seconds is infuriating. 

You have to pay for it

18 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Did he not make a similar complimentary interview when he first joined the club?

Surely he would know better now having endured previous training under our previous manager when he bothered to turn up.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Players generally say what they think is the right thing to get fans on board. I think Lee has some skill but needs to get more involved than previous. Good luck to him. 

Maybe he will with a Manager who has faith in him and maybe plays him in a role, that suits his style of play best.

13 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Well you cannot really partner him with Cochrane in the middle for that reason, but it is not a major problem as long as there is some pace elsewhere. In Scotland pace, graft and flying into 50:50s are regarded as big plus points in footballers. It is not just the SFA which is backward in its attitude. Many fans are too.

13 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Workrate . That is all he needs to be a really good player.

I don’t think his work rate is a problem. I think his lack of pace and slow approach makes him appear lazy. I Like him and think he’s pretty creative with a great cross and pass. If he can move the play slightly faster he’ll do well for us. 

Lee talks a good game but doesn't walk it (well, actually that's precisely what he does).

We need less of that and more done on the pitch. If he's bucked his ideas up and worked on his fitness he'll be good for us in the Championship

Dusk_Till_Dawn
57 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Lee talks a good game but doesn't walk it (well, actually that's precisely what he does).

We need less of that and more done on the pitch. If he's bucked his ideas up and worked on his fitness he'll be good for us in the Championship

Things like “we want to beat everybody.” Well, this is Hearts in the Championship. You ought to be beating everybody. We’ve no interest in dicking about in this shit league 

He had a handful of good games in a Hearts jersey, most of which were during his first 10 games. 

He's probably right tbf. Leveins tactics were atrocious and as such we probably never got to see him play at a good level consistently. 

Personally always thought his best role was when he was allowed to get into the box, a poor man's Frank Lampard. He's certainly not a holding mid or someone that should be expected to get stuck in. He can pass and shoot. That's his game. 

3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe he will with a Manager who has faith in him and maybe plays him in a role, that suits his style of play best.

Aye, maybe.

CL signed him so you'd have to believe he had faith in him at the same stage he is at now with Neilson.

The difference this season is likely to be that we have serious pace from the wings and if Lee can provide defence splitting passes (as in Burnley friendly), he'll not have to worry whether the manager has faith in him or not.  And maybe he'll have to try and fit in with the manager's style of play whether it comes naturally to him or not.  Same with Wighton.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

This.

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Aye, maybe.

CL signed him so you'd have to believe he had faith in him at the same stage he is at now with Neilson.

The difference this season is likely to be that we have serious pace from the wings and if Lee can provide defence splitting passes (as in Burnley friendly), he'll not have to worry whether the manager has faith in him or not.  And maybe he'll have to try and fit in with the manager's style of play whether it comes naturally to him or not.  Same with Wighton.

Robbie has made it clear from his arrival that he wants pace on the wings which he now seems to have as you say. It makes sense to sign players to fit the style of play you want.

I am not convinced that CL knew what style he wanted to play. He just signed players and threw them in hoping they would do a job.

It alwyas helps a player to know that his Manager has faith in him if nothing else it is a boost to their confidence. Robbie has just come out giving full support to Wighton probably for that very reason. That for me is good managemnt rather than the freezing a player out type because he dares to challenge your style of play.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Decent summary imo. 

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Robbie has made it clear from his arrival that he wants pace on the wings which he now seems to have as you say. It makes sense to sign players to fit the style of play you want.

I am not convinced that CL knew what style he wanted to play. He just signed players and threw them in hoping they would do a job.

It alwyas helps a player to know that his Manager has faith in him if nothing else it is a boost to their confidence. Robbie has just come out giving full support to Wighton probably for that very reason. That for me is good managemnt rather than the freezing a player out type because he dares to challenge your style of play.

Something to do with the many long term injuries?  Maybe?

I think everyone knows it helps if a manager has faith in a player and CL must have had when he signed him. What happened after that is matter of conjecture depending on who you listen to .  Who's to say the same won't happen again this time.  He needs to fit in with the team instead of the team fitting in with him.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Something to do with the many long term injuries?  Maybe?

I think everyone knows it helps if a manager has faith in a player and CL must have had when he signed him. What happened after that is matter of conjecture depending on who you listen to .  Who's to say the same won't happen again this time.  He needs to fit in with the team instead of the team fitting in with him.

Time will tell I suppose Al and he will be playing in a lower league which will help I would imagine.

32 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Time will tell I suppose Al and he will be playing in a lower league which will help I would imagine.

Hopefully that sparks a change.  His main problem is lack of pace and I'd expect him to get more time, so who knows.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Olly Lee will tear the championship up for arse paper.

Well if he doesn’t he should call it a day because it’s a pub league