Olly Lee Interview

David Black

Just listened to his interview on twitter and the one thing that stood out was his comment that it is a totally different club, different atmosphere and brilliant training. Just confirms what we were watching over the last 2 or 3 years that many of the players were not enjoying it. 

3 minutes ago, David Black said:

Just listened to his interview on twitter and the one thing that stood out was his comment that it is a totally different club, different atmosphere and brilliant training. Just confirms what we were watching over the last 2 or 3 years that many of the players were not enjoying it. 

Did he not make a similar complimentary interview when he first joined the club?

Good to know. 

High hopes for Olly this season. Singled out by Burnley as Hearts stand out player last Saturday. 

I think we all* feel better about things since you know who and his assistants have departed. A good start next month and we can leave the nightmare behind. 

Edit: *there's always the odd exception. 

Edited by martoon

Thought Police
7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Did he not make a similar complimentary interview when he first joined the club?

Yes. I think it’s clear he’s still really excited at the prospect of getting to play for Hearts, but Levein didn’t fancy him and that happens in football.

If he starts this season like he did his first I’ll be very happy.

8 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Not loading for me, anyone able to give the gist of it and some good soundbites?

He mentioned about wanting to get 10+ goals and also that they are aiming to beat everyone be it in the league, cup etc.

Seems a good lad and one that appreciates playing for us, as long as he has a Haring type player next to him he will do well for us i'm sure.

8 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Not loading for me, anyone able to give the gist of it and some good soundbites?

Great to be back, feels like a different club, Robbie phoned him during the summer told him he was wanted, players are more together than before, feels the club will do well under RN, the attitude of the team is to beat everyone no matter who it is or what comp it is. Spoke well and attitude is spot on.

18 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Yes. I think it’s clear he’s still really excited at the prospect of getting to play for Hearts, but Levein didn’t fancy him and that happens in football.

If he starts this season like he did his first I’ll be very happy.

Must have fancied him at one time.  Did Levein not sign him?

I for one did not understand the love in for Lee first time around but he did play his part in more than a few goals and was effective with better players around him. Like others he gets a second chance with me and you have to read between the lines in his interview and focus on what he’s trying hard not to say as much as what he’s saying. Hoping he has a brilliant season ahead.

Love the quote at the end of the interview when asked about the team target for the season:

"We beat everyone, doesnt matter, we beat everybody. Whether it's the cup, league, anything, beat everybody" 

That should be pinned on the dressing room wall and should be the attitude of every Hearts player, at all times! 

He's a decent player but he does lack pace.  I would imagine his confidence has been shot to pieces working under Levein.  Hardly surprising when gash like Damour is in the squad before you.  He should be a stand out at Championship level. 

55 minutes ago, David Black said:

Football is so simple at times, especially in Scotland. Keep players happy and it'll show on the park. That's how your Hamilton's and Livingston's manage stay in the top league. Their managers and coaches just need to keep the squad in good spirits and create a togetherness that they all enjoy. 

I can’t really be arsed with players who spit the dummy out when they’ve fell out with the manager. If they’re then happy under the next guy, I always wonder when they’ll choose to down tools again. After some of the performances he put in towards the end he wouldn’t be back if it were up to me. 

The Kingslayer
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I can’t really be arsed with players who spit the dummy out when they’ve fell out with the manager. If they’re then happy under the next guy, I always wonder when they’ll choose to down tools again. After some of the performances he put in towards the end he wouldn’t be back if it were up to me. 

He was on loan for the whole of last season, are you meaning performances towards the end of 18/19 season?

9 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

But can he come up with the goods at Easter Road on a bleak midwinter evening? 

Let someone lay it off to him 25 yards from goal and I’m sure we’ll find out..

2 minutes ago, The Kingslayer said:

He was on loan for the whole of last season, are you meaning performances towards the end of 18/19 season?

Yeah. Sorry I should have been clearer. After a fantastic start to the season he, like many others, failed to stand up and be counted. Rumours that he had fell out with Levein or that his wife missed England’s green and pleasant land. Then papped out on loan. Amazed he’s back off loan. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Probably because Levein let his unqualified mates take the training while he buggered off to study the racing post. 

👀

Byyy The Light
9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Probably because Levein let his unqualified mates take the training while he buggered off to study the racing post. 

Then threw in a few hail marys to the line up on a Saturday out of nowhere 

30 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

😂

Right.  He says the right things at interviews.  Now do it on the park Olly.  Consistently.  Earn the bonuses.  Crush Hibs.

We're at bit sick of good interviews.

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

56 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Then threw in a few hail marys to the line up on a Saturday out of nowhere 

👏

Olly has given us the answer as best he can.

1 hour ago, Benzinho said:

Love the quote at the end of the interview when asked about the team target for the season:

"We beat everyone, doesnt matter, we beat everybody. Whether it's the cup, league, anything, beat everybody" 

That should be pinned on the dressing room wall and should be the attitude of every Hearts player, at all times! 

Absolutely.  Just hope Robbie nurtured that attitude better than Levein ever did.  

'With this manager at the helm, we've got a real chance of success in the future'

Subtle Olly :D 

Seriously though, Levein had clearly turned the football department into a farce. I liked Lee's no nonsense 'beat everybody'. Very steely minded and absolutely the right attitude. 

I think both Lee and Edwards would have served us well last season. Neither a world beater but getting rid was an awful decision in hindsight. Had anyone realised how amatuar a shop Levein was running I think we'd have approached Whelan and Damour with a lot more caution. Whilst he'll lose zero sleep over it,  I don't think i'll ever be able to forgive Levein for managing to relegate us whilst we pumped millions into the club and he had effectively carte blanche to build the football department he always dreamed about. Stendel may have taken us down, but the ship was already going under when Levein was sacked. 

I really am impressed with how Lee spoke, seemed to give off a very pissed off no nonsense vibe with respect to the club being demoted. 

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, OTT said:

'With this manager at the helm, we've got a real chance of success in the future'

Subtle Olly :D 

Seriously though, Levein had clearly turned the football department into a farce. I liked Lee's no nonsense 'beat everybody'. Very steely minded and absolutely the right attitude. 

I think both Lee and Edwards would have served us well last season. Neither a world beater but getting rid was an awful decision in hindsight. Had anyone realised how amatuar a shop Levein was running I think we'd have approached Whelan and Damour with a lot more caution. Whilst he'll lose zero sleep over it,  I don't think i'll ever be able to forgive Levein for managing to relegate us whilst we pumped millions into the club and he had effectively carte blanche to build the football department he always dreamed about. Stendel may have taken us down, but the ship was already going under when Levein was sacked. 

I really am impressed with how Lee spoke, seemed to give off a very pissed off no nonsense vibe with respect to the club being demoted. 

Levein seemed to start collecting players - maybe a consequence of being backed too much financially by Budge.

Signed Edwards then realised he could still get Naismith and ditched Edwards without giving him a chance. Signed Garrucio then Demi Mitchell became available so signed him too instead of persisting with Garrucio. Got the chance to sign Whelan and Damour, and fair enough we did need experienced CM cover when Haring got injured and Djoum finally left, but ditched Irving after his promising start.

Neilson seems to be much more targeted in his signings.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

How could he have made the same comments never having played for us before.  It was a comparison of Levein vs post Levein and a current player says it's better. He knows, you don't. 

5 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

How could he have made the same comments never having played for us before.  It was a comparison of Levein vs post Levein and a current player says it's better. He knows, you don't. 

You seem to have invented an argument that isn't there..  He was complimentary to the club in an interview soon after joining us.

10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Our players and club talk a lot.

Not really interested in whether this is a good interview. Play well and then you can talk

Your prerogative. But when there's no games on, interviews are all we've got. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

😂 So man management is something your clearly have never been involved in. I inhertited a sales team who were all miserable and had asked for transfers. After I came in only one left, every single one admitted they hated the manager nad her techniques. Their performances improved, morale and productivity all went up. That's no different from what can happen in football. A manager can make or break your job, same in football. 

He was the only one in that team that moved into space and wanted the ball played to his feet but the defence always punted it up top. Tactics didn't suit him, that's not his fault. 

wattie exploited

not the quickest player but am sure he will do well this season he only got punted because he told levein his tactics were shit :rifle:

18Jambo_dave74

Very good interview, said all the right things - his comment about beating everyone is the attitude I want from all the players. As has been mentioned he does need to back it up on the pitch - I think he will, he’s a decent player. Also in his favour that he isn’t tarnished by the shambles of last season. 

He is very one paced and that is an issue for our entire midfield. Good to see Neilson has identified this issue on the wings but would like to see a bit more mobility in the centre too. 

3 hours ago, Benzinho said:

Totally

22 minutes ago, Maroonjam said:

😂 So man management is something your clearly have never been involved in. I inhertited a sales team who were all miserable and had asked for transfers. After I came in only one left, every single one admitted they hated the manager nad her techniques. Their performances improved, morale and productivity all went up. That's no different from what can happen in football. A manager can make or break your job, same in football. 

He was the only one in that team that moved into space and wanted the ball played to his feet but the defence always punted it up top. Tactics didn't suit him, that's not his fault. 

Your sales team and a football club have similarities but  are hardly parallels.

The football manager must have a squad of say 18-24 and cannot keep them all happy at all times.  It is inevitable that one or two will take the huff if they're not in the team when they think they should be, and this is exacerbated when the team doesn't get the results they want.   The fact that they are training hard all week and not playing at the end of it must be a real scunner for players. It is always the case, however, that some team will top the league and happiness abounds while bottom teams are prone to discontent.  C'est la vie.  That is not to say things were perfect last season when clearly they were not.

13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Your sales team and a football club have similarities but  are hardly parallels.

The football manager must have a squad of say 18-24 and cannot keep them all happy at all times.  It is inevitable that one or two will take the huff if they're not in the team when they think they should be, and this is exacerbated when the team doesn't get the results they want.   The fact that they are training hard all week and not playing at the end of it must be a real scunner for players. It is always the case, however, that some team will top the league and happiness abounds while bottom teams are prone to discontent.  C'est la vie.  That is not to say things were perfect last season when clearly they were not.

Totally agree, there are more similarities than you think though. Morale is the biggest factor in it all. A happy content team makes for much better performances. I feel that sometimes on here we hound players for under performing when it can be a tactics thing and vice versa the manager gets shit but the players don't act out his instructions. Lee was one in his first season I watched numerous times screaming for the ball when he loved into space only for berra or Smith to punt it. That was clearly the tactics they had been told to carry out and I get why the lad was frustrated. 

The harsh truth for them all is if you're not happy then we will show you the door. 😊

55 minutes ago, Maroonjam said:

After your initial ridiculous assumption and silly smiley I just lost interest. I’m sure there are people who are super interested in your marvellous man management skills but the condescending way you put yourself across made me struggle to stay interested.

Regarding your opinion of Lee as a player, I’d tend to agree, it’s just a shame he didn’t have the professionalism to show his best (or anywhere near it)  when he was at odds with the boss. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

After your initial ridiculous assumption and silly smiley I just lost interest. I’m sure there are people who are super interested in your marvellous man management skills but the condescending way you put yourself across made me struggle to stay interested.

Regarding your opinion of Lee as a player, I’d tend to agree, it’s just a shame he didn’t have the professionalism to show his best (or anywhere near it)  when he was at odds with the boss. 

Levein told him to go if he didn’t like it.  So he went.  

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Got no idea why players wouldn't have enjoyed Hearts for 2 years. 

💰 for nothing 

Hi Damour’s agent, you alright?  Osh and the fish was well more than two years too.  Easy money. 🤬🤬

Just now, Last Laff said:

Levein told him to go if he didn’t like it.  So he went.  

I’m absolutely not trying to defend levein. The players downing tools is unacceptable regardless of how shite the manager was. Ollie Lee saying (again) how determined he is to succeed at Hearts and beat every other team in the championship is a s hollow as **** to me. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Maroonjam said:

I've managed people for a long time and really no parallel to be drawn with football. 

Different types of situation and mindset altogether.