Covid-19 antibody test

Marvin

I've been invited to participate in an antibody test at home which will help the government understand how many people in England may have already been infected with the virus which causes Covid-19. My name has been chosen at random.

If I choose to take part, they send me a home testing kit for a blood sample which I send back.

It's being done by Imperial College London on behalf of the Department of Health & Social Care. 

My participation is voluntary. Tbh I might just do it.

Has anyone up North had anything similar?

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I've been invited to participate in an antibody test at home which will help the government understand how many people in England may have already been infected with the virus which causes Covid-19. My name has been chosen at random.

If I choose to take part, they send me a home testing kit for a blood sample which I send back.

It's being done by Imperial College London on behalf of the Department of Health & Social Care. 

You might just do it Marv, why wouldn’t you?

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

England? No point asking the majority of this board.

6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You might just do it Marv, why wouldn’t you?

I am taking part and I should receive the kit in the next week or so.

5 hours ago, graygo said:

England? No point asking the majority of this board.

I did say in my last line of my op "Has anyone up North had anything similar?" 

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

Friends down south take part in these trial tests, received about £700 in vouchers so far. Sure they said antibody test you don’t get anything though. 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Friends down south take part in these trial tests, received about £700 in vouchers so far. Sure they said antibody test you don’t get anything though. 

Yeah I get nothing for my participation.

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Is that not folk putting stuff into their systems though? Risk involved.

16 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Is that not folk putting stuff into their systems though? Risk involved.

Doubtful as the whole family kids included are doing it but I couldn’t honestly say. Do know they do weekly COVID tests and the antibody test. 

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I am taking part and I should receive the kit in the next week or so.

Good lad 👏👌

29 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Doubtful as the whole family kids included are doing it but I couldn’t honestly say. Do know they do weekly COVID tests and the antibody test. 

Ah, surely not then. You wouldn't sign your kids up to that! Also doubt you could legally (if not morally).

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, Marvin said:

The only problem I can see is that ICL is going it. The've had a very poor record over the piece during this episode.  I wonder if Fergie the philanderer is involved. 

My missus works in a care home and they get the Covid test every week. Problem is that the likelihood is that most of the staff had the virus back in March / April and so everyone has tested negative every week! They need a decent antibody test which would confirm this, and would explain why everyone is always negative. 

1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

My missus works in a care home and they get the Covid test every week. Problem is that the likelihood is that most of the staff had the virus back in March / April and so everyone has tested negative every week! They need a decent antibody test which would confirm this, and would explain why everyone is always negative. 

But meantime it’s good to get tested regularly. 

18 hours ago, Marvin said:

My dear mother-in-law was sent a covid 19 test in the same fashion. She's in scumbria. Unfortunately the results came back that she was alive.

Edited by IronJambo

Seems a bit odd that they're choosing people at random to look for antibodies, since the experts were saying recently that a key missing piece of the jigsaw is how long  antibodies last in the bloodstream, and how rapidly (or otherwise) their strength decays over time.   If they don't know when you had the symptoms (or if you had no symptoms at any time), then finding some antibodies now isn't going to tell them (or Marvin) much. 

5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Seems a bit odd that they're choosing people at random to look for antibodies, since the experts were saying recently that a key missing piece of the jigsaw is how long  antibodies last in the bloodstream, and how rapidly (or otherwise) their strength decays over time.   If they don't know when you had the symptoms (or if you had no symptoms at any time), then finding some antibodies now isn't going to tell them (or Marvin) much. 

it will be to get a better indication of the amount of the population that have had it. By randomly selecting people from around the country with give a more reliable result rather than say only testing people from a high number of cases location

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

But meantime it’s good to get tested regularly. 

Good if it isn't your nose being violated every week! 

Weakened Offender

I used to work with a guy who used to take part in paid medical trials at a place out by the Gyle. He was batshit thick. He hoped to take part in the flatlining tests, 5k a pop. You could only do two a year though, apparently. 😁

11 hours ago, jonesy said:

Yep, worked with some Spanish folk who used to top up their minimum wage jobs with occasional £4k forays into medical testing. One of them got pretty sick once.

We should be grateful for people willing to put their lives on the line to test drugs for us. 

22 hours ago, IronJambo said:

My dear mother-in-law was sent a covid 19 test in the same fashion. She's in scumbria. Unfortunately the results came back that she was alive.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...