Burnley v Hearts (Sat 05/09 @12:30)

Midloth_Iain

Gordon Ramsay
5 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Wonder if Gordon was enjoying the hotel bar last night? 

Gives away a pen for the 1st, gets caught under the ball at the corner for the 2nd, shite palm out for the 3rd and the 4th, well, speaks for itself. 

The 3rd looks exactly like the kind of goals we conceded last season. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Hungry hippo

• Bazzas right boot

• Rick Sanchez

🙈offt.

I’ve defended him on here for a long time but that was a horror show from big Craigy! 

Just get them out your system before next month!

The corner goal and the pass out for the fourth was crap to watch. 

Nice finish for Wighton 👍 looks to have grown taller. 

Hopefully the next game we have new signings either in or getting trialled. 

Looks like Damour got the full game. Halkett and Brandon need launched. Gordon didn't cover himself in glory with the cross but Halkett has to do better also. Songo'o finished the game in defense it looks like. I watched the highlights on Hearts TV, same camera it seems but nowhere near as clear a picture as the youtube clip shown here. Is that down to the media player the website uses? (not great with computer stuff) 

Edited by WDJ87

55 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

better to play tougher teams than play against wee shit teams where the players dont learn  much from  as its just a friendly and getting match fitness and getting the new players playing together  so not bothered about the result as its meaningless right now :rifle: 

Good post.

36 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

The defence ffs 🤣🤬

Not great viewing is it, thankfully we won't be facing teams of Burnley's quality in the championship 😅 Defo some good defensive recruitment needed before we return to the top tier.

Edited by WDJ87

Jesus. 

Thank **** it was a friendly. Seemed very poor errors. Obviously Burnley are miles ahead of us, so not really a fair reflection of what we're going to face this season. 

The best and worst of Craig Gordon summed up in 90 minutes.

That ball over the top. Seen that so often last season.

Looked like we played some decent stuff at times though. Still over a month for a couple more additions and to sort the defence out.

6 hours ago, WDJ87 said:

Looks like Damour got the full game. Halkett and Brandon need launched. Gordon didn't cover himself in glory with the cross but Halkett has to do better also. Songo'o finished the game in defense it looks like. I watched the highlights on Hearts TV, same camera it seems but nowhere near as clear a picture as the youtube clip shown here. Is that down to the media player the website uses? (not great with computer stuff) 

I’ve had similar problems with hearts tv before and this might solve it...

I think Hearts TV defaults to lowest resolution but it’s easy to fix:

Hover over the screen to bring up the play/time/volume bar at the bottom.

In the bar there’s also a number which is the resolution - click on it to change it to the highest setting.

Let me know if that works!

Watched highlights on both Burnley TV and Hearts TV which showed a tad more of Hearts in play.

A bounce game on a training pitch.  It was Burnley, so expected them to dominate, but Robbie has work to do with the defence.  Still it is pleasing that Hearts are playing friendlies against stronger sides and hopefully will be ready for the start of the Championship.

I would never have recognised Wighton from last season's model.

Edited by Tasavallan

10 hours ago, Super_Hans said:

The best and worst of Craig Gordon summed up in 90 minutes.

I am not going to read much into this as CG will be cage rusty behind an unorganised defence.  Hearts do need a strong CB to lead the defence.  Craig did make some excellent stops in the 2nd half.

Michael Smith is missed, I do not rate Brandon as RB. Halkett is not the tallest and needs a "Berra" type beside him, Hamilton is too similar to Halkett in stature.  I am not sure about Songo'o being the answer to Robbie's question.

A tale of 2 halves: taking Hearts the first half to introduce themselves to each other.  Things can only get better when absent senior players return.

Edited by Tasavallan

Seymour M Hersh
26 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I am not going to read much into this as CG will be cage rusty behind an unorganised defence.  Hearts do need a strong CB to lead the defence.  Craig did make some excellent stops in the 2nd half.

Michael Smith is missed, I do not rate Brandon as RB. Halkett is not the tallest and needs a "Berra" type beside him, Hamilton is too similar to Halkett in stature.  I am not sure about Songo'o being the answer to Robbie's question.

A tale of 2 halves: taking Hearts the first half to introduce themselves to each other.  Things can only get better when absent senior players return.

Were you there or are these long held thoughts on the players?

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

13 hours ago, Coco said:

Halkett's defending carrying on from where he left off last season. Just can't defend.

Have to agree I’m afraid, would get shot, a very poor defender, we will always lose goals when he is in defence, Halkett and Pereria were 2 of the main reasons why we were so bad last season, Berra was hung out to dry by DS.

When we go back up I’d expect Halkett to be long gone, he is bad defender 

Ex member of the SaS

Can't really blame Gordon for all the goals. Where was the defense at the corner? Two players with a chance at a free header with no defender near. The palm out was deflected twice before falling to their player. Ok the other two were poor, he would have got away with the penalty at Celtic.

Having said that they are a far better team with game time under their belt. No point playing games where we walk it as you don't learn anything. Playing better opposition means your frailties show up and can be worked on.

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

2 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Have to agree I’m afraid, would get shot, a very poor defender, we will always lose goals when he is in defence, Halkett and Pereria were 2 of the main reasons why we were so bad last season, Berra was hung out to dry by DS.

When we go back up I’d expect Halkett to be long gone, he is bad defender 

There is supposedly lots of video analysis done.  There's something wrong with that analysis if they can't spot how many defensive errors Halkett makes.  If we don't sign a couple of centre backs I'd be starting Smith and Berra.

Tokyo Drifter

Have I stepped into an alternate reality or did Craig Wighton actually score a goal? And if so, am I right in thinking that is his first goal for us? Should I be pleased or worried?

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Have I stepped into an alternate reality or did Craig Wighton actually score a goal? And if so, am I right in thinking that is his first goal for us? Should I be pleased or worried?

And all he had to do was shave his head. 

Bazzas right boot
On 05/09/2020 at 19:06, WDJ87 said:

Saying Players to be launched after watching highlights of a friendly? 

:notsure:

I see even 15 years later Gordon still can't deal with a cross or kick a ball...which is exactly why Niemi will always be considered the better goalkeeper.

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, saxondale said:

I see even 15 years later Gordon still can't deal with a cross or kick a ball...which is exactly why Niemi will always be considered the better goalkeeper.

It's definitely between those two for best Hearts goalie in my lifetime. Niemi never played in the age of the "sweeper keeper" so I don't remember his kicking, but to be fair on Gordon Rodgers tried to replace him with a keeper more suited to that role and Gordon reclaimed number 1 spot from de Vries. Gordon certainly can deal with a cross ball. He wouldn't have about 600 games at the top level otherwise.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's definitely between those two for best Hearts goalie in my lifetime. Niemi never played in the age of the "sweeper keeper" so I don't remember his kicking, but to be fair on Gordon Rodgers tried to replace him with a keeper more suited to that role and Gordon reclaimed number 1 spot from de Vries. Gordon certainly can deal with a cross ball. He wouldn't have about 600 games at the top level otherwise.

TBF Gordon was always a goal line hugging shot stopper when at Hearts. He never commanded his box as he never had to, he had Elvis and Webster as dominant CBs fielding crosses. Over the course of his career he's had to learn to come off his line and to improve his distribution and he still obviously has a clanger in him in these areas - hardly surprising, we saw it at Celtic. 

I think what we are seeing in this friendly is perhaps that it was not so much our GKs as our CBs who were the problem last season...

11 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Saying Players to be launched after watching highlights of a friendly? 

:notsure:

Nope, I have all home games and plenty of away games from last season fresh in my mind also 👍 

11 hours ago, saxondale said:

Cool story. If that was true I doubt he would’ve achieved what he has in the game but opinions are like arseholes I guess. 

1 minute ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

I know it was only a friendly, But a couple of crazy mistakes by Craig Gordon. hope he's not trying to copy Pereira.

Although he apparently made some outstanding saves as well. Hopefully he is getting the blunders out of his system before the start of the season.

Scottie Wanshot.
1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Although he apparently made some outstanding saves as well. Hopefully he is getting the blunders out of his system before the start of the season.

yes hopefully just a bit rusty.

3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Does anyone under the age of 60 still believe keepers should command their box?

A keeper who always comes for things is constantly leaving the goal unattended. Some keepers, even the ones at the very top decide from an early stage to stay on their line and let the defenders deal with things. Basically there is no right answer. 

9 hours ago, DS98 said:

Cool story. If that was true I doubt he would’ve achieved what he has in the game but opinions are like arseholes I guess. 

If you thought Gordon was commanding in the box or comfortable kicking a ball (when played back to him) then you are either too young to remember seeing him repeatedly do this when he was at Hearts, or you have never seen him play for Hearts.

Craig Gordon forged such a good career because he was an exceptional shot stopper and didn't make many high profile mistakes (atleast with us and Sunderland - Celtic less so).

20 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Its a close call, don't get me wrong, but I can recall a number of times my heart was in my mouth when he did not command the box or make a hash of a backpass (goal kicks were fine).

But like I said to a previous poster, the reason he forged such a good career was mainly for his shot stopping- one of the best I have ever seen on his day.

4 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Does anyone under the age of 60 still believe keepers should command their box?

Just turned 60, still believe this ;)

1 hour ago, saxondale said:

If you thought Gordon was commanding in the box or comfortable kicking a ball (when played back to him) then you are either too young to remember seeing him repeatedly do this when he was at Hearts, or you have never seen him play for Hearts.

Craig Gordon forged such a good career because he was an exceptional shot stopper and didn't make many high profile mistakes (atleast with us and Sunderland - Celtic less so).

I’d say I was at the majority of the games when he was here before. Also watched him down at the SoL at least a dozen times.

If you are saying Craig was poor at kicking back when he was at us first time then I’d say you’re just regurgitating a lazy Celtic stereotype. There was no such thing as the sweeper keeper until long after 2007 and kicking was absolutely not an issue.

Not for Scotland, Sunderland or even at Celtic under Ronny Delia. It was only when Rogers came in and tried to install an unrealistic style of play, of which he wanted his goalkeeper to be like Xavi. 

As for commanding you’re box. Well like another poster said it’s up for debate if any  keeper does that these days.

Edited by DS98

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, saxondale said:

Its a close call, don't get me wrong, but I can recall a number of times my heart was in my mouth when he did not command the box or make a hash of a backpass (goal kicks were fine).

But like I said to a previous poster, the reason he forged such a good career was mainly for his shot stopping- one of the best I have ever seen on his day.

And for me shot stopping is what separates the great goalies from the good ones. Kicking and cross-claiming weaknesses can be worked on and somewhat mitigated against. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I’d say I was at the majority of the games when he was here before. Also watched him down at the SoL at least a dozen times.

If you are saying Craig was poor at kicking back when he was at us first time then I’d say you’re just regurgitating a lazy Celtic stereotype. There was no such thing as the sweeper keeper until long after 2007 and kicking was absolutely not an issue.

Not for Scotland, Sunderland or even at Celtic under Ronny Delia. It was only when Rogers came in and tried to install an unrealistic style of play, of which he wanted his goalkeeper to be like Xavi. 

As for commanding you’re box. Well like another poster said it’s up for debate if any  keeper does that these days.

This. I don't remember ever even thinking about a goalie's kicking until relatively recently. When comparing Gordon and Niemi, Niemi had retired by the time a sweeper keeper really became a thing.

And Rodgers signed a goalie who was supposedly a sweeper keeper but ended up sticking with Gordon. We saw with Pereirra, picking a goalie for their skills with their feet is not the way to go!

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Its a bit difficult to regurgitate a supposed Celtic stereotype before he even joined them (or even Sunderland at that point).

I'm not suggesting at all that Gordon was or should have been a 'sweeper keeper', but he simply wasn't any good when receiving a pass back from a defender - as he proved in this game.

We'll have to agree to disagree re him not being very good at coping with a pass back. And whether or not other goalkeepers are any good at commanding their box isn't really relevant - he should be good at it given his height and experience.

5 minutes ago, saxondale said:

Its a bit difficult to regurgitate a supposed Celtic stereotype before he even joined them (or even Sunderland at that point).

I'm not suggesting at all that Gordon was or should have been a 'sweeper keeper', but he simply wasn't any good when receiving a pass back from a defender - as he proved in this game.

We'll have to agree to disagree re him not being very good at coping with a pass back. And whether or not other goalkeepers are any good at commanding their box isn't really relevant - he should be good at it given his height and experience.

Fair enough mate.

We all see games differently. I genuinely can’t remember a single occasion when I was worried about his kicking last time around. On the contrary, Elvis loved a back pass and was always confident he’d make a good connection. You must have seen different

12 hours ago, DS98 said:

Fair enough mate.

We all see games differently. I genuinely can’t remember a single occasion when I was worried about his kicking last time around. On the contrary, Elvis loved a back pass and was always confident he’d make a good connection. You must have seen different

Elvis would pass it back, usher it out to the byline and then fall over to win himself a free kick! He was a master at it.