The King is Back!

ri Alban

jack D and coke
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Changed the game. Jimmy and Alex were attacking players, but they were reckless. When Stephen got in, he wiped you out. 

You have to be a bit reckless to attack all the time. Hendry was just on another level and any sight of a pot and every chance his opponent wasn’t getting out his seat again. 

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

You have to be a bit reckless to attack all the time. Hendry was just on another level and any sight of a pot and every chance his opponent wasn’t getting out his seat again. 

Got to take into account that if Jimmy white wasn’t a coke head and borderline alcoholic that Hendry probably wouldn’t have won some of the titles he did. Jimmy white was as natural a taken you well ever see but a complete and utter basket case. 

I just look at the fact Ronnie O’Sullivan took a year off of snooker and came back and won the world championship. That achievement alone is legendary. 

For me in terms of pure entertainment and character the GOAT is Alex Higgins. In terms of pure determination and will to win it is Hendry. For someone who seemingly couldn’t give a **** and just sheer natural talent it is O’Sullivan. 

If he hadn’t died so tragically I actually think Paul Hunter would be in with a shout. What a talent he was. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Changed the game. Jimmy and Alex were attacking players, but they were reckless. When Stephen got in, he wiped you out. 

Steve Davis was the man to change snooker to what it is today. Hendry still managed to take it to another level from there.

7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That stuff was all pretty effortless to him then. For about 6-7 years he was untouchable. 
I’ll still argue with anyone he’s the GOAT. 
He got to the table, attacked and it was frame over. 

I would bet every penny I have on Hendry to beat anyone in his prime, the GOAT imo too

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Steve Davis was the man to change snooker to what it is today. Hendry still managed to take it to another level from there.

I would bet every penny I have on Hendry to beat anyone in his prime, the GOAT imo too

Hendry invented the split of the red from the blue. Davis was the jujitsu of snooker. He put everyone to sleep. (I was a big fan of Steve Davis. Higgins was a nasty little shite. 

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hendry invented the split of the red from the blue. Davis was the jujitsu of snooker. He put everyone to sleep. (I was a big fan of Steve Davis. Higgins was a nasty little shite. 

I never liked Davis, but he definitely changed the sport from what it was. Loved watching Higgins, but as you say he was a nasty little shite.

Even Ronnie admits Davis changed snooker...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/16/ronnie-osullivan-explains-steve-davis-changed-snooker-forever-12566393/

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That stuff was all pretty effortless to him then. For about 6-7 years he was untouchable. 
I’ll still argue with anyone he’s the GOAT. 
He got to the table, attacked and it was frame over. 

I’d take Hendry in his prime against O’Sullivan in his, every single time.

25 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Got to take into account that if Jimmy white wasn’t a coke head and borderline alcoholic that Hendry probably wouldn’t have won some of the titles he did. Jimmy white was as natural a taken you well ever see but a complete and utter basket case. 

I just look at the fact Ronnie O’Sullivan took a year off of snooker and came back and won the world championship. That achievement alone is legendary. 

For me in terms of pure entertainment and character the GOAT is Alex Higgins. In terms of pure determination and will to win it is Hendry. For someone who seemingly couldn’t give a **** and just sheer natural talent it is O’Sullivan. 

If he hadn’t died so tragically I actually think Paul Hunter would be in with a shout. What a talent he was. 

Disagree completely. Davis and then Hendry were just far superior to Jimmy the bottle merchant White. 

luckyBatistuta
45 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Disagree completely. Davis and then Hendry were just far superior to Jimmy the bottle merchant White. 

Agree with this. Even if he hadn’t discovered drugs, he still didn’t have that mental strength that makes the great, great. An amazing  natural talent, but you still need more than that.

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Agree with this. Even if he hadn’t discovered drugs, he still didn’t have that mental strength that makes the great, great. An amazing  natural talent, but you still need more than that.

:spoton:

Don’t t me wrong, I loved watching JW and he seems a good lad. But SH was God to me. I lost interest when he chucked it. 

SH says Mark Williams will be shiting himself to play him. (I read all the stories in the link you put up) I also see Ali Carter spat the Dummy, cause of Stephen's criticism of players during commentary. I like his and Steve's commentary and Punditry as they know what they're talking about. 

Edited by ri Alban

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don’t t me wrong, I loved watching JW and he seems a good lad. But SH was God to me. I lost interest when he chucked it. 

SH says Mark Williams will be shiting himself to play him. (I read all the stories in the link you put up) I also see Ali Carter spat the Dummy, cause of Stephen's criticism of players during commentary. I like his and Steve's commentary and Punditry as they know what they're talking about. 

I absolutely loved Jimmy White growing up, had a Jimmy White cue and got to meet and play him, but Stephen is still the GOAT.

14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It was the long pot that deserted him. 

Notice that when the first red went in from that long pot he didn't leave a shot on any of the other reds if he had missed. It was perfection.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

SH was God to you?

Wow, ri!

Never in the slightest is that the sort of thing I would have ever expected you to post.

The only snooker player I have ever had any time for is ‘Hurricane Higgins’.

21 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

This picture Morgan my new friend 😊 is absolutely stunning!! 👌👏👏👏

Glad you approve.  👍🍾

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

While I once enjoyed  his fast unorthodox style of play the more I discovered about what an obnoxious human being he was the more I went off him.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

SH was God to you?

Wow, ri!

Never in the slightest is that the sort of thing I would have ever expected you to post.

At snooker. My Da was my only God, Morgs. 

14 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

While I once enjoyed  his fast unorthodox style of play the more I discovered about what an obnoxious human being he was the more I went off him.

which player did he threaten to get someone like the ira to kill during a match? possibly dennis taylor

23 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

which player did he threaten to get someone like the ira to kill during a match? possibly dennis taylor

It certainly wouldn’t be the IRA as there are murals of Higgins all over the place in Sandy Row in Belfast. I seem to remember it was more of a vague “I know people” type of a thing. 

21 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

His words to fellow player Dennis Taylor, "I come from the Shankill. Next time you're in Northern Ireland, I'll have you shot" https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/night-my-hero-let-me-down-26668488.html

In 1991, playing a game in Preston, Higgins pulled his young opponent, Stephen Hendry, aside and whispered into the lad's ear. "Hello," said the former world champion. "I am the Devil."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/applause-for-a-man-who-flaunts-his-flaws-1.84209

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

His words to fellow player Dennis Taylor, "I come from the Shankill. Next time you're in Northern Ireland, I'll have you shot" https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/night-my-hero-let-me-down-26668488.html

An actor I know loves to tell the story about staying at Jimmy Nail’s house one night as they were working together. He got up in the morning and went down to the kitchen to make some breakfast and discovered Higgins in here having a healthy breakfast of strong drink and a line of coke. Apparently he’d just randomly turned up in the middle of the night as he had nowhere to sleep. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

An actor I know loves to tell the story about staying at Jimmy Nail’s house one night as they were working together. He got up in the morning and went down to the kitchen to make some breakfast and discovered Higgins in here having a healthy breakfast of strong drink and a line of coke. Apparently he’d just randomly turned up in the middle of the night as he had nowhere to sleep. 

He ended up absolutely penniless and homeless.

He blew all his money after earning in excess of £3 million and radiotherapy had destroyed his teeth, forcing him to live off baby food. He would play for £5 bets in Belfast, blag a Guinness where he could, and at night returned to sheltered accommodation.

I will give him credit for sometimes producing some spectacular play. The 1982 world championship semi final v Jimmy White as an example.

Now this wasn't a huge break, not even a century break. But I have played some snooker with knowledgeable people and they have assured me the difficulty involved in pulling this break off particularly under pressure is astonishing.

It's the semi final, 31 games so the first to 16 goes into the final. He's 15-14 down in games so White only need this game to win and is 59-0 ahead. This is what happens.

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

That was truly amazing,different class,great frame.I still think Hendry is the best snooker player though.

Edited by weegranty

2 hours ago, weegranty said:

That was truly amazing,different class,great frame.I still think Hendry is the best snooker player though.

I agree that Hendry is better. But as you say that was a remarkable clearance from 59-0 down to not just save the game but the match. So many difficult shots to be overcome.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I agree that Hendry is better. But as you say that was a remarkable clearance from 59-0 down to not just save the game but the match. So many difficult shots to be overcome.

Nearly as good as being 8-2 up on Ronnie, only for Ronnie to bring it back to 8-8 and then this. 

24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nearly as good as being 8-2 up on Ronnie, only for Ronnie to bring it back to 8-8 and then this. 

I just knew it would be a long pot that got him in. And an extremely difficult one at that. White close to the cushion therefore can't get his hand on the table. And he was going all out for that. No attempt to get the white back to safety.

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I just knew it would be a long pot that got him in. And an extremely difficult one at that. White close to the cushion therefore can't get his hand on the table. And he was going all out for that. No attempt to get the white back to safety.

I think folk forget how good Hendry was in his prime. Long shot and middle pocket potting were key to his brilliance. When both dipped it allowed the upstarts of Higgins, O'sullivan and Williams to overtake him. 

On Ronnie,  he keeps saying the players now are rubbish. Does that cast doubt on his own record and greatness? 

32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I think folk forget how good Hendry was in his prime. Long shot and middle pocket potting were key to his brilliance. When both dipped it allowed the upstarts of Higgins, O'sullivan and Williams to overtake him. 

On Ronnie,  he keeps saying the players now are rubbish. Does that cast doubt on his own record and greatness? 

Well if Ronnie's right Stephen may pull off a shock and win another major tournament. He may be right I don't know but what I do know is the game had a far higher profile with comparatively a lot more money in it when Stephen was at his height.

That was the heyday of snooker when it could draw huge TV audiences and matching sponsorship deals.

An example of that would be the 1985 world championship final when Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor faced off with the match tied at 17 frames each going into the final frame which then famously went to the final black ball to decide it.

The match holds several records. The final is the longest match ever held over the length of 35 frames at 14 hours and 50 minutes.

The final moments of the final was watched by 18.5 million viewers, the most ever in the United Kingdom for a broadcast after midnight and for any BBC Two programme

It's not that big anymore so may in theory not attract so many to play and achieve a professional level of competence. If Stephen is going to pull off another major he's going to have to put in the practice. We're talking 8 hours a day going into tournaments.

Last I heard he's worth about £17 million so he's not going to be motivated by money. With a pile like that just lying in the bank he could sit on the couch watching telly all day and still easily trouser at least 250K a year.

If he's going to be motivated it can only come from desire to pull off that shock. If he can motivate himself to put in that practice I think he can at least be competitive.

Edited by JFK-1

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Well if Ronnie's right Stephen may pull off a shock and win another major tournament. He may be right I don't know but what I do know is the game had a far higher profile with comparatively a lot more money in it when Stephen was at his height.

That was the heyday of snooker when it could draw huge TV audiences and matching sponsorship deals.

An example of that would be the 1985 world championship final when Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor faced off with the match tied at 17 frames each going into the final frame which then famously went to the final black ball to decide it.

It's not that big anymore so may in theory not attract so many to play and achieve a professional level of competence. If Stephen is going to pull off another major he's going to have to put in the practice. We're talking 8 hours a day going into tournaments.

Last I heard he's worth about £17 million so he's not going to be motivated by money. With a pile like that just lying in the bank he could sit on the couch watching telly all day and still easily trouser at least 250K a year.

If he's going to be motivated it can only come from desire to pull off that shock. If he can motivate himself to put in that practice I think he can at least be competitive.

👍

On 02/09/2020 at 04:17, AlimOzturk said:

If you think Hendry has what it takes to win another ranking event then your off your head. Couldn’t even beat white in the seniors tournament. 

I don't think that indicates much. Both those guys are multi millionaires and gave up being competitive long ago. Being competitive involves 8 hours a day just clearing a snooker table and when you're older and wealthy it's hard to motivate yourself to do that.

This senior tours thing is little more than an exhibition match to them to pass a bit of time doing what they used to do.  There is no way they're putting in 8 hours a day of practice for it.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think that indicates much. Both those guys are multi millionaires and gave up being competitive long ago. Being competitive involves 8 hours a day just clearing a snooker table and when you're older and wealthy it's hard to motivate yourself to do that.

This senior tours thing is little more than an exhibition match to them to pass a bit of time doing what they used to do.  There is no way they're putting in 8 hours a day of practice for it.

Jimmy White is still on the tour and just missed qualification for the World championship this year. Hendry is just getting his eye back and if he gets appetite for destruction, he'll feck up a few egos. 

FAO @AlimOzturk

C'mon the King of the Crucible. And if Ronnie is right and the standard is shite, it makes Ronnie's record blurred and Henry's the real deal. 

Oh and FTO(O'sullivan) 

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Tbf his positioning in that break was awful. He had to pull off so many great shots because he put himself into that position. 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Tbf his positioning in that break was awful. He had to pull off so many great shots because he put himself into that position. 

Similar to Seve Ballesteros in golf, to make remarkable recovery shorts you need to put yourself in the position of needing to in the first place.