Right player, wrong time

jamboinglasgow

1 minute ago, Glottis said:

Genuinely,

Barasa.

No, seriously.

He was thrust into the team when Lithuanian hate was at an all time high.

He was chucked in for Neilson which reminded fans of Petras being chosen by Vlad at Tannadice.

Barasa looked decent on the ball, wanted to go forward although was maybe trying too hard to impress.

Kancelskis, Piliabitis, and Ivaskevicius are three good shouts too. If any of the three had been signed individually at a time when people weren’t going nuts about who was picking the team etc, then they’d have probably done well. Likewise Beniusis.

Nowhere near the proper spelling but I thought Robert Thomas check never got the recognition he deserved There was a big Dutch centre half Van der Ven I think who I liked but he wasn't that popular either

Great Thread

The Apprentice
43 minutes ago, BervieJambo said:

Lee Johnson & Chris Halkett - both clearly decent players but neither got the opportunity to really show what they could do.

I was going to mention Lee Johnson too. Good player but lost in amongst the huge squad we had at the time (not a dig at his height btw!)

Don Cowie.

I loved the guy but he did join us in the twilight of his career, would’ve liked to see what he could’ve offered a year or two earlier.

1 hour ago, Beast Boy said:

Kancelskis, Piliabitis, and Ivaskevicius are three good shouts too. If any of the three had been signed individually at a time when people weren’t going nuts about who was picking the team etc, then they’d have probably done well. Likewise Beniusis.

Great thread.

And good shouts. Unfortunately they bring back some memories for some horrific nicknames.

5 hours ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Derek Ferguson

Definitely! We paid a record fee to bring a quality midfielder to the club, and totally bypassed him by punting long balls from the back. 

10 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

Great thread.

And good shouts. Unfortunately they bring back some memories for some horrific nicknames.

I remember Pilabitis being ripped apart on the Real Radio Phone in, with them giggling about his name. Doubt they were giggling as much when he knocked the Hun out of Europe. 😎

Beniusis was up against it from the start. Signed instead of Hleb’s wee brother, debut in the derby a day later. Misses an open goal... no coming back from that I’m afraid. From that moment on, the nickname was carved in to stone. Benyuseless. 🙄

Hat-kicker patter... chronic.

3 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I remember Pilabitis being ripped apart on the Real Radio Phone in, with them giggling about his name. Doubt they were giggling as much when he knocked the Hun out of Europe. 😎

Beniusis was up against it from the start. Signed instead of Hleb’s wee brother, debut in the derby a day later. Misses an open goal... no coming back from that I’m afraid. From that moment on, the nickname was carved in to stone. Benyuseless. 🙄

Hat-kicker patter... chronic.

His record in Lithuania was insane iirc. Better records than guys such as Velicka

Edit - I'm.chatting pish

Edited by Gone

Just now, Gone said:

His record in Lithuania was insane iirc. Better records than guys such as Velicka

Pretty sure Romanov said exactly that when he signed. That he is a proven goal scorer, so a better choice than Hleb. Think maybe he played against Scotland in an international too.

10 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Good thread this actually...

Ken what? Many of the players being discussed here would have been a success at Rangers and Celtic. They are the only two clubs who are allowed to have two particular types of players:

1) Players who are strong in the tackle and put themselves about a bit, but don’t set out to injure anyone.

2) Skilful players who need protection from the officials Instead of getting booked for being kicked ten foot in the air.

We’ve had a few of the above types over the years and most of the time officials go out of their way to book them.

The OF have these players every season and they are given a free pass.

Does that mean John Murray has been doing a splendid job but managers and coaches have messed up once the players have been signrd?

Bazzas right boot

Not sure, but last season it was a case of wrong players, wrong time. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Possibly first 3,  I thought Ivaskevicius looked very handy. 

Beniusis was ganting tho. He Looked like a fan who had won a raffle to get a spot in the team for the day. 

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Beniusis was ganting tho. He Looked like a fan who had won a raffle to get a spot in the team for the day. 

You’re thinking of Dawid Witteveen. His Dad actually asked Romanov to give him a game. :lol:

Beni never had a chance tbf. Under different circumstances he might have done okay. He was given a mountain to climb.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

You’re thinking of Dawid Witteveen. His Dad actually asked Romanov to give him a game. :lol:

Beni never had a chance tbf. Under different circumstances he might have done okay. He was given a mountain to climb.

Naw, 100% benny. 

Looked completely lost in the few games I seen him. 

Witteveen... **** me. I'd forgotten all about him 😭

17 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

1) Scottish Football being utterly utterly shite. A backwater where only two clubs are allowed good players, and everyone else’s good players are punished.

I think in general the siege mentality is going to do us good. But we need to dry our eyes eventually. This is the most defeatist comment of all time. 

16 minutes ago, JimCornette said:

I think in general the siege mentality is going to do us good. But we need to dry our eyes eventually. This is the most defeatist comment of all time. 

It’s been that way for decades I’m afraid. There is a yawning gap between what our players are permitted to do on the football pitch, and what those of Rangers and Celtic are. It’s got worse and worse over time. The sad fact is, if we sign a hard midfielder, he gets booked and sent off most games by arseholes like Madden and Beaton. Not so Rangers and Celtic players. If we sign a skilful forward he gets no protection from referees, and ends up getting booked and sent off for simulation when he gets halved. Again, not so for Rangers and Celtic. No point in me lying about it, it’s simply the reality of the situation. Just one of the many ways that stop the playing field being levelled. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Beast Boy said:

I think had he come in as a backup striker, given time to adapt he may have done alright. Will never forget that first game of the season, the loss to Hibs with such a poor performance from the team. Then had to walk back home along Russell Road where all the Hibs fans were, had a Hearts top on with Pinilla on it, got stubborn and refused to put a jumper on it. Just faced so many Hibs fans chanting at me, including Pinilla is a F**** refugee." Hibs fans are so classy aren't they. 

15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think had he come in as a backup striker, given time to adapt he may have done alright. Will never forget that first game of the season, the loss to Hibs with such a poor performance from the team. Then had to walk back home along Russell Road where all the Hibs fans were, had a Hearts top on with Pinilla on it, got stubborn and refused to put a jumper on it. Just faced so many Hibs fans chanting at me, including Pinilla is a F**** refugee." Hibs fans are so classy aren't they. 

Apparently they "self-police" though, and Hearts players bring the abuse upon themselves:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-fans-didnt-sing-refugee-9658584

"What the Hibs fans actually sang at you Rudi was: "**** you Skacel, the Hibs won the cup".

Often they bring it upon themselves for being good players:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/hibs-hero-derek-riordan-i-hated-rudi-skacel-555332

“To be honest, I hated Skacel. Like, actually hated him. Just horrible.

“I don’t actually know [why], it was just because he was a good player for Hearts then. He was a good player to be fair."

Yep, they really are such a classy bunch...

hypocrisy.jpg

22 hours ago, Jamboinparis said:

Mauricio Pinilla instantly comes to mind. Imagine having him when he was normal.

STFY

Bret the Hitman Hearts
23 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

One which I feel may be controversal is Christian Nade.

He came to us when we were a complete Sh*tshow, fans made up their mind and he got no real coaching. I think had he come to us when we were stable and with a decent coach who could work with him he could have been a good striker for us rather than one who (unfairly) become a joke in Scottish football and occasionally showed flashes of talent.

I don't agree with this purely because it's not like his career elsewhere was any good either.

16 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Nowhere near the proper spelling but I thought Robert Thomas check never got the recognition he deserved There was a big Dutch centre half Van der Ven I think who I liked but he wasn't that popular either

Great Thread

Robert Tomascek I think it was spelt. Decent player but never really hit the heights expected at Hearts. Injury problems too.

Peter Van de Ven was signed from Aberdeen as a replacement for Dave McPherson when he went back to Rangers again.

12 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

It’s been that way for decades I’m afraid. There is a yawning gap between what our players are permitted to do on the football pitch, and what those of Rangers and Celtic are. It’s got worse and worse over time. The sad fact is, if we sign a hard midfielder, he gets booked and sent off most games by arseholes like Madden and Beaton. Not so Rangers and Celtic players. If we sign a skilful forward he gets no protection from referees, and ends up getting booked and sent off for simulation when he gets halved. Again, not so for Rangers and Celtic. No point in me lying about it, it’s simply the reality of the situation. Just one of the many ways that stop the playing field being levelled. 

I’d love to say I don’t agree with this, but I do. Scott Brown is the obvious recent example. If he had played the way he played for Celtic wearing any other shirt (except one) then he’d have been sent off every other game. But he hardly ever got booked. A year or two ago I saw one referee speak to him after  about his 10th foul, point to three or four places the ref had seen him fouling, and he still didn’t get booked.

Kenny Miller commits the most obvious red card foul you’ll ever see on McHattie: yellow card, and you can’t appeal because the ref didn’t miss it.

Fyssas gets sent off for nothing in that NYD game, Celtic equalise, and half a dozen players leave the pitch. When they come back on, the referee carefully books one of them - the only one not already on a booking. The scorer, McManus, then goes on to score the winner rather than having an early bath.

Pasquale for King
On 02/09/2020 at 20:37, Doc Rob said:

I’d love to say I don’t agree with this, but I do. Scott Brown is the obvious recent example. If he had played the way he played for Celtic wearing any other shirt (except one) then he’d have been sent off every other game. But he hardly ever got booked. A year or two ago I saw one referee speak to him after  about his 10th foul, point to three or four places the ref had seen him fouling, and he still didn’t get booked.

Kenny Miller commits the most obvious red card foul you’ll ever see on McHattie: yellow card, and you can’t appeal because the ref didn’t miss it.

Fyssas gets sent off for nothing in that NYD game, Celtic equalise, and half a dozen players leave the pitch. When they come back on, the referee carefully books one of them - the only one not already on a booking. The scorer, McManus, then goes on to score the winner rather than having an early bath.

I agree and he should have far more yellows and reds than he does, well over 200 yellow cards in his career and counting, but that will never be mentioned in the press. It sprung to mind when Gareth Barry retired and they mentioned he was the most booked player but miles behind Brown having played a lot more games. 

On 01/09/2020 at 23:16, Gone said:

Tziolis was a class player but not suited to the 200mph game on awful pitches that we offer.

Nothing wrong with the majority of pitches in the SPL.

On 02/09/2020 at 07:36, Smith's right boot said:

He was indeed, like Klimek also.

22 minutes ago, Gone said:

Ours was an absolute shambles

I am going to stick my neck out and suggest the Greek pitches are no better. It came down to attitude with him, and probably realising early on Cathro was weak.

10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

He was indeed, like Klimek also.

Cant remember which one, but the one that did the horse photoshoot had definitely taken a step up too far footballing wise. Although I seem to remember his stats in the Lithuanian league being good. So I can see why a club might have taken a punt on him.

On 01/09/2020 at 14:10, jamboinglasgow said:

One which I feel may be controversal is Christian Nade.

He came to us when we were a complete Sh*tshow, fans made up their mind and he got no real coaching. I think had he come to us when we were stable and with a decent coach who could work with him he could have been a good striker for us rather than one who (unfairly) become a joke in Scottish football and occasionally showed flashes of talent.

Hmmn Nah - he just didn't seem to want to get into the box and try to score goals. It was like he wanted to be Jankauskas or Bednar and do the hold up play on the wing but then not bother trying to get into the middle to finish the move...Never liked him as a player.

On 01/09/2020 at 18:10, OTT said:

Wrong league. Meshino was too slight for the physical nature of this league. Bloody shame, because the talent and application were there. 

Wouldn't hesitate about having a look into the Japanese market again though. It seems on a par with our league, just with the added bonus of having superstar players like Iniesta in it. We're not going to get the next Messi, but it seems commercially a smart market to get involved in, and there will be players there that savour the more physical element of football that we could probably get. 

Perhaps once normality resumes we could look to getting a japanese team across for the youth tournaments MacPhee was organising. We seemed to be attracting big clubs (City and Juve plus others) so to bulk out the numbers a Japanese team would be a good idea IMO. Might open up a future link up too. The professionalism of their players really can't be understated enough. Having them over to try and impart that onto our youngsters could be invaluable. 

You'd have to find or invent a British granny for them which might be tricky. No chance we would get work permits otherwise. It would be Gogua (the young Georgian from Romanov time) repeating itself

Edited by Spellczech

On 02/09/2020 at 20:37, Doc Rob said:

Yeah that was the day I realised Romanov's Hearts were not going to be allowed to win...It was a dreadful, eye-opening, heart-breaking day when realism set it.

Edited by Spellczech