League Cup - why is it a diddy cup?

Horse

Just curious why most Hearts fans seem to refer to this cup as the diddy cup?

Having only seen Hearts win two trophies in my lifetime, I would be more than happy to win this cup. Granted the Scottish Cup is more glamorous and gains you european entry but for a club which has only won 2 trophies in over 50 years I do not think we can be that picky. The Old Firm always seem happy to win it.

I mean, I can still recall when we won the tennets sixes it was a big deal for us - picture of the team on the next match day programme etc.

I know the reptiles have won it twice and it is always good to wind them up about winning the wee cup - but I for one will be delighted if I am at Hampden in March watching Berra lift the cup.

And no - I am not a F**** hobo and will be at Hampden next week.

kevinthejambo
Because there's nothing beyond it. There's no 'money-spinning European trip' that comes from it.

there you go it's a diddy cup

It is the poor mans trophy. It doesn't really mean anything. They could scrap it and nobody would bother. However, if they were to get a massive sponsor and make it a competition between English and Scottish teams then the interest would grow.

We'd all get papped out in the early rounds but think of a trip to Old Trafford to watch Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Neilson...

Because there's nothing beyond it. There's no 'money-spinning European trip' that comes from it.

So before European football started, every cup was a diddy cup? Why did they bother playing then?

Because we are football fans and being two-faced is what we do best. It is unquestionably less important than the Scottish Cup. We haven't won it in years. Hibs have won it twice recently. So it is the diddy cup...right until we win it. OF fans might care when they win it but when the other wins it they are happy to call it a diddy cup as well.

Same applies to Hibs fans on lots of issues. For instance flair is more important than results until they start winning games without flair at which point they suddenly couldn't care less.

Have no real interest in the League Cup and won't be travelling up the M6 for the match next week...

what to help reduce the alleged ?50 million debt? How much of an impact would it really make?

It is a diddy cup but it's a diddy cup that i've never seen us lift.

I'll be there next week and hopefully going back for the final.

I'd be delighted if we won it....

... if only to act like i couldn't care less about winning it in front of my vermin friends.

It is a diddy cup but it's a diddy cup that i've never seen us lift.

I'll be there next week and hopefully going back for the final.

I'd be delighted if we won it....

... if only to act like i couldn't care less about winning it in front of my vermin friends.

If we get to the final think it would be a great day out

Hearts run of regular trophy wins (diddy or otherwise) stopped before I was old enough to start going to games.

In the intervening 40-odd years we've won 2 Scottish Cups, a First Division title and a couple of Tennent's Sixes.

Excuse me for being quite happy to celebrate a League Cup win should it happen to come our way.

The main reason is because, mainly due to the Old Firm's attitude towards it, its seen as the cup that doesn't really matter that much and the lack of any other benefit (UEFA cup etc).

The vermin and various other diddy teams like Livingston and Aberdeen winning it fairly recently also devalued it to a certain extent.

I'd still be happy to win it right enough, but I wouldn't celebrate it nearly us much as winning the Scottish. I certainly wouldn't be getting a complete storky about it like the Hobo's did.

Hearts run of regular trophy wins (diddy or otherwise) stopped before I was old enough to start going to games.

In the intervening 40-odd years we've won 2 Scottish Cups, a First Division title and a couple of Tennent's Sixes.

Excuse me for being quite happy to celebrate a League Cup win should it happen to come our way.

Totally agree.

It doesn't lead to Europe and it is easier to win in theory because there are fewer rounds.

As much as we love to wind up the weeteamers (and the "bring out the wee cup!" craic was total class), I'd happily celebrate a League Cup win by Hearts, whenever one came.

To answer the OP:

The League Cup is a diddy cup when we get knocked out - and especially if Hibs win it. Conversely, it is no longer a diddy cup if we happen to win it.

Simple really: what's to understand here? :biggrin:

Because we are football fans and being two-faced is what we do best. It is unquestionably less important than the Scottish Cup. We haven't won it in years. Hibs have won it twice recently. So it is the diddy cup...right until we win it. OF fans might care when they win it but when the other wins it they are happy to call it a diddy cup as well.

Exactly. Never got round this carp of not wanting to win a trophy? I hate all this high -browish sheeite about there not being a Euro spot etc....

So feckin what? It`s all about going into the history books and winning more trophies than your rivals. The spin-offs are great if there are any, but the object of football(incase it`s lost on some of you) is to win trophies.

That`s what i was brought up hoping to see Hearts do.

There is no real point to the diddy cup.

Very little cash prize.

No European place.

All you get is a bus parade. That's it.

There is no real point to the diddy cup.

Very little cash prize.

No European place.

All you get is a bus parade. That's it.

And a trophy. I think you are missing the point.... :confused:

As any dafty would... I'd be more than happy to see us win the League Cup. However, as already stated... besides the fact of winning a cup... there's nothing more to it.

There are two major cups in Scotland. One gets you in to Europe if you win it, the other doesn't. End of story. That's it.

Exactly. Never got round this carp of not wanting to win a trophy? I hate all this high -browish sheeite about there not being a Euro spot etc....

So feckin what? It`s all about going into the history books and winning more trophies than your rivals. The spin-offs are great if there are any, but the object of football(incase it`s lost on some of you) is to win trophies.

That`s what i was brought up hoping to see Hearts do.

quite right....if you see some of the old photos when Hearts won the cup 4 times in the 50s and 60s...do not think any of the players such as Bauld, Conn etc were saying look at us we just won the diddy cup!

Same applies to Hibs fans on lots of issues. For instance flair is more important than results until they start winning games without flair at which point they suddenly couldn't care less.

:rofl::rofl:[ brilliant and so so true.

quite right....if you see some of the old photos when Hearts won the cup 4 times in the 50s and 60s...do not think any of the players such as Bauld, Conn etc were saying look at us we just won the diddy cup!

Fair play Horse. A sign of the times when only five thousand of us will travel through next week for a semi final. What was that survey saying we were in the top 20 supported clubs in the UK. :rolleyes:

Fair play Horse. A sign of the times when only five thousand of us will travel through next week for a semi final. What was that survey saying we were in the top 20 supported clubs in the UK. :rolleyes:
Is that what you`ve heard Julio or an educated guess? Hope more tics have been sold:eek:

Top 20 clubs when we are top of the league Julio and everyone thought we had a sugar daddy chairman. Always thought it was only the true support who turned up when the going got tough. Wonder how many will turn up for the final if we get through?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

The Tennents Sixes

Now THAT WAS A BIG WIN!!

I can see why it is the lesser of the 2 cups.

However, after the past 2 seasons I would love to win it. Especially this year as we would be taking from the hobits.

Can't see it though.

I can see why it is the lesser of the 2 cups.

However, after the past 2 seasons I would love to win it. Especially this year as we would be taking from the hobits.

Can't see it though.

Agree it is the lesser of the two cups but it ain't a diddy cup.

Agree it is the lesser of the two cups but it ain't a diddy cup.

Well, technically it doesn't have a pair of tits hanging from it, so you are right.

Is that what you`ve heard Julio or an educated guess? Hope more tics have been sold:eek:

What was posted earlier. Where did all those fans go when we were last at hampdump. :o

Top 20 clubs when we are top of the league Julio and everyone thought we had a sugar daddy chairman. Always thought it was only the true support who turned up when the going got tough. Wonder how many will turn up for the final if we get through?

Next week will be a more accurate reflection of our true support. Its a semi final and the glory hunters will be wathcing on TV. :rolleyes:

alwaysthereinspirit

Agreed. Its a real cup as you get closer to winning it. Then a diddy cup again when we're knocked out. Probably be a diddy cup again next Thursday.;)

The Tennents Sixes

Now THAT WAS A BIG WIN!!

How do you think that six would do against Tuesday's eleven?:wacko:

Maybe not!!

On the topic,any success,diddy or otherwise,would be welcomed just now.

The Festival Cup meant more to me than the diddy cup.

Winning The Festival Cup meant that we'd beaten the reptiles and nothing feels better than that.

You got a cup. You got a wee parade. You beat the hibs. No EURO place.

It was better than the diddy cup.

I was sad to see it go. It only ran two years. We won it both times then the hibs refeused to play in it anymore.

If i had the choice of a few european games at murryfield or the leage cup I would pic the cup. cup finals are the best, and if we end up winning it by putting out sellik huns and either sheep or dundee utd then we would have every right to celebrate it. but if we are knocked out we can watch re-runs of the scottish cup wins, and wind up our hibbie mates :)

The league cup is a great cup, with a great history. A major trophy which every team in the land would love to win, Celtic for one can't this year. In england, the league cup has a european place, but the big boys, PLAY boys. up here its feircly contested. YOU DON'T GET A PARADE FOR FINISHING 3RD!

Archived