Proud To Be A Jambo

CARDIFFBOY

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Well done. I’ve been proud to be a jambo ( despite all the ups and downs ) since my dad took me to my first match in 1965.  👍👍

I was proud to be a Jambo through the sodden seventies, and before and ever since.

My first impression as an 8 year old being taken to my first game,  well, I just fell in love with the colour maroon.

Living in the west, in Clarkston at that time, I'd only seen them on black and white TV.  Even though my uncle bought me a maroon rosette, it was that first sight of Hearts running out the tunnel, and it was glorious.

Oh, by the way, we beat Rangers 4-0 in the Cup.  Can't remember any of the game, just these jerseys.

Edited by colinmaroon

SectionDJambo
32 minutes ago, Broxburn Jambo said:

1962 Hearts v Moscow Torpedo 7 year old taken by a foster brother,,, move on 5 years later 35 bus from outskirts of Leith by myself. now 58 years later try and get to as many as I can.......Always Hearts only Hearts

Snap.

Taken to the Moscow Torpedo match by my step dad.

My father had been a Hearts man, but died before the glory years of the 50s, although he would have seen the 1954 league cup win. 
Fortunately, mum met, and married, another Hearts man, who couldn’t get to games much due to his work. But he took me and my brother to this game.

My memory of the Moscow Torpedo match is the glowing floodlit pitch and the happy crowd, in and out, of Tynecastle. We won 6-0, and it was just a magical experience for me. Hooked after that.

For all the disappointing years, being one of our “tribe” has been character building, and I’ve made great friends over the years. The Scottish Cup wins, which many of us thought we’d never see, have been just reward for our tenacity in continuing to turn up despite those lean years.

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

It was a midweek game was it not?

You're correct. Pumped from Celtic on the Saturday. And humped again on the Wednesday. It's amazing how I've managed to blot out that whole week. Thanks for that !

Top man Cardiff.  My first game was in 1953 but can't remember it  I do remember in those early years it was thrilling to know that Hearts were the best side in the country.

84 cup tie at Dundee Utd away can't mind score but we had a player sent off, i was 9 and remember the bus journey up on the Whitburn bus it bounced all the way up , massive away support that day

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, Boghell51 said:

84 cup tie at Dundee Utd away can't mind score but we had a player sent off, i was 9 and remember the bus journey up on the Whitburn bus it bounced all the way up , massive away support that day

Think we got beat 2-1 that day and it was the Blackburn/Whitburn bus you were on.

9 hours ago, sassenach said:

I hope this isn't too daft a question (I've only ever flown once so I have very little experience of these things), but how long should the whole trip take? Including driving from home to the airport, check-in and waiting around for the flight, check-out etc?

Hi sassenach, I am flying up to Edinburgh last week of September so I will have a better idea after that, the drive to Bristol Airport from Cardiff takes about an hour, maybe less, have to be at the airport 2 hours before take off so including the flight time probably 4 hours 15mins to get to Edinburgh. But I know it's gonna be worth it! My wife and I will have four days to have a great time seeing the sights, including Tynecastle, and I just hope and pray that this bloody virus is gone soon. Can't wait to see my first game. 

Edited by CARDIFFBOY

Broxburn Jambo
16 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Snap.

Taken to the Moscow Torpedo match by my step dad.

My father had been a Hearts man, but died before the glory years of the 50s, although he would have seen the 1954 league cup win. 
Fortunately, mum met, and married, another Hearts man, who couldn’t get to games much due to his work. But he took me and my brother to this game.

My memory of the Moscow Torpedo match is the glowing floodlit pitch and the happy crowd, in and out, of Tynecastle. We won 6-0, and it was just a magical experience for me. Hooked after that.

For all the disappointing years, being one of our “tribe” has been character building, and I’ve made great friends over the years. The Scottish Cup wins, which many of us thought we’d never see, have been just reward for our tenacity in continuing to turn up despite those lean years.

When you think of the downs, you can always find it easy to come to a high spot

Glamorgan Jambo
6 hours ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Hi sassenach, I am flying up to Edinburgh last week of September so I will have a better idea after that, the drive to Bristol Airport from Cardiff takes about an hour, maybe less, have to be at the airport 2 hours before take off so including the flight time probably 4 hours 15mins to get to Edinburgh. But I know it's gonna be worth it! My wife and I will have four days to have a great time seeing the sights, including Tynecastle, and I just hope and pray that this bloody virus is gone soon. Can't wait to see my first game. 

Terry if you know Bristol airport you’ll make it in an hour. If you don’t give yourself a bit more time because it’s in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand EasyJet are really good and so is Bristol Airport so you’ll get through everything pretty quickly. On the return journey give yourself plenty time because Edinburgh airport is a bit of a shambles from a people flow perspective.

1 hour ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Terry if you know Bristol airport you’ll make it in an hour. If you don’t give yourself a bit more time because it’s in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand EasyJet are really good and so is Bristol Airport so you’ll get through everything pretty quickly. On the return journey give yourself plenty time because Edinburgh airport is a bit of a shambles from a people flow perspective.

Cheers Glamorgan Jambo, thanks for your advice which I will bear in mind. Hope to catch up with you maybe in the future. Terry. 

My first game was as a 9 year old inOctober 1963 v Motherwell. 1each. Willie Wallace scored. My Uncle Tom took me to the stand as a first game treat. My abiding memory was knocking the hat off the old lady in front of me when we scored. The main stand was quite posh then.

Greedy Jambo
15 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

https://youtu.be/cil_g6p_jPY

Your only scratching the surface about what being a Heart's supporter really represents until you properly delve into our history. 🙄🙄🙄

Had to stop myself from greetin by the end of that. 

3 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Had to stop myself from greetin by the end of that. 

That is, for sure, one of the best versions.

I'm guessing that you might've missed 'Game Of Two Halves' which was a theatre production staged at Tynecastle. Apologies if I'm being presumptious, but that really would have got you greetin'. Similarly, you may or may not have ever attended the yearly Contalmaison 'pilgrimage' which is simply awe-inspiring.

Hopefully, 'Game Of Two Halves' will be repeated one day, and the Contalmaison trips resumed post-Covid.

In the meantime, here are some pictures from these events.

20200830_221804.jpg

20200830_221828.jpg

20200830_221845.jpg

20200830_221911.jpg

20200830_221951.jpg

20200830_222028.jpg

20200830_222106.jpg

20200830_222126.jpg

20200830_222222.jpg

20200830_222244.jpg

20200830_222304.jpg

20200830_222324.jpg

20200830_222348.jpg

20200830_222420.jpg

20200830_222455.jpg

20200830_222518.jpg

jamboinglasgow

Still remember my first game, went with my Dad and brother and was sitting right at the front of the Main stand, was a 1-1 draw with Motherwell in 96 with Weir equalising. 

Have quite a few years till I take my son to his first game.

8 hours ago, TorinoJambo said:

My first game was as a 9 year old inOctober 1963 v Motherwell. 1each. Willie Wallace scored. My Uncle Tom took me to the stand as a first game treat. My abiding memory was knocking the hat off the old lady in front of me when we scored. The main stand was quite posh then.

No doubt your cheers still echo in that old main stand. It holds many memories for us all; but, to be honest, the new main stand looks amazing ... 

20200831_001330.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2020 at 16:08, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Hi Terry, I only go to a few games a season and as both my wife and I are Edinburgh born it’s usually family visits in the car. 9/10 hours by car (always traffic), 5/6 hours by train (via Crewe) and there are still flights or there still were just prior to lockdown. Cardiff - Edinburgh is one of the core routes out of CWL so if the flights are currently stopped (it was FlyBe) someone else will take it up pretty quickly (believe it or not in the heyday 2000 - 2008 there were sometimes 5 flights a day on the route). The cheapest way would be by coach but that would almost certainly require a change and be a long (12 hour or more) slog. Sorry I don’t know any Hearts fans around here. The guy who organised the pub meets moved to York. There was another poster on here called The Brow who either changed name or hasn’t been seen by me for a while who was from what I could gather a regular at the Cardiff City Stadium.

I used to see a guy running through Cowbridge with a Hibs top on quite regularly but either he’s moved or gotten a better taste in running gear.

A blast from the past! Yes, lived in Cardiff in 2004/5 and we had a group of about 8 or 10 Hearts fans from South Wales. We didn’t organise any trips but watched a few games on TV in the Gower pub off Monthermer Road, including the cup replay against Kilmarnock IIRC. I moved back to York at the end of that season but am still friends on Facebook with a couple of the guys and am happy to dig through old emails to see if I can find contacts if you like, Terry. I’m not often on here nowadays but if you want to send me a message on the York Hearts twitter or Facebook pages I’ll come back to you. 

Gorgie Boot boy
On 29/08/2020 at 10:57, CARDIFFBOY said:

Just wanted to say how proud I feel to have joined the Jambo family; my new season ticket card arrived yesterday and I can't wait to get up there and support the boys in maroon. I feel a part of a fantastic Club with fantastic fans who give everything they can time after time when the chips are down and their generosity and loyalty are unsurpassed. For everything that this Club has gone through and suffered the fans have suffered alongside them and still their spirit cannot be destroyed. Next season is the time to rally around the manager and players and get our Club well and truly back where it belongs. Remember, Hearts and only Hearts! 💕. See you in The Wheatfield! Terry. 

Hearts are formed on fighting spirit, well a lot of drunkard violence that turned into an art form of its day. 

Welcome You lucky Boy. Fresh in the door all excited. I am going to feel a bit like that when we get to see the team play at Tynecastle  again or anywhere. Respect a gift of a picture for you Jambo. Present day Hearts player Jamie Walker is the great nephew of Tommy Walker who is capped in this picture.

EhppP9QWoAULkz0.jpg

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy
add information

5 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Hearts are formed on fighting spirit, well a lot of drunkard violence that turned into an art form of its day. 

Welcome You lucky Boy. Fresh in the door all excited. I am going to feel a bit like that when we get to see the team play at Tynecastle  again or anywhere. Respect a gift of a picture for you Jambo

EhppP9QWoAULkz0.jpg

Cheers Gorgie Boot Boy, much appreciate the photo, HHGH Only Hearts 💕. Terry. 

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, CARDIFFBOY said:

Cheers Gorgie Boot Boy, much appreciate the photo, HHGH Only Hearts 💕. Terry. 

You are welcome , i added an extra piece of information in the post.