Underwhelming visitor attractions.

Angel eyes

Following from yesterday listening to a radio phone in they asked for people to tell them about visiting somewhere that was well.....erm rubbish Times Square got mentioned along with somebody had visited and art gallery and the Mona Lisa was on display again it was tiny and not what they expected. My two which i thought was just a waste of time Madam Tussauds in London.....really just really & the Kennedy Space centre attraction in Florida a load of old space shuttles in a garden and a couple of space suits.........aaaaaand a gift shop.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auld Reekin'

• ArcticJambo

• Tazio

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robben Island. It would be great if you could wander around and take it in at your own pace but, you're herded around very quickly.

Weakened Offender

Edinburgh Castle. 

Overpriced, jingoistic military museum that absolutely doesn't belong in Scotland's capital city in 2020. 

Grand from the outside maybe but an expensive obscenity inside. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Checkpoint Charlie, it's not even located in the same place as the real one.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

21 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Edinburgh Castle. 

Overpriced, jingoistic military museum that absolutely doesn't belong in Scotland's capital city in 2020. 

Seconded. Ridiculous entry price as well, take a 10 minute jaunt down the road and you have the National museum, free entry, and the stuff in there, 10x more interesting at least, perfect

37 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Checkpoint Charlie, it's not even located in the same place as the real one.

Indeed, with the fake soldiers on guard as well, which you could get your picture taken with, for a small fee of course.

Glad we just stayed on the bus and drove past it.

Weakened Offender
37 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Seconded. Ridiculous entry price as well, take a 10 minute jaunt down the road and you have the National museum, free entry, and the stuff in there, 10x more interesting at least, perfect

The National Museum is, literally, a national treasure. 

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Scottish Parliament building.

Horrendous.

:facepalm:

The main entrance is a bit African airporty but that aside I love it.

Giant's Causeway, though it was a long time ago that I visited but came away thinking, if only Staffa was more accessible.  Even Samson's Ribs aren't a mile away from being as impressive.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
33 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, with the fake soldiers on guard as well, which you could get your picture taken with, for a small fee of course.

Glad we just stayed on the bus and drove past it.

Yes, it's almost on a par with the Doge's Palace or. Eiffel Tower in Vegas. At least they're obviously fake. :lol:

Palace of Versailles - I read the Trip Advisor reviews before I went and dismissed them as outrageously over  critical. The reality was even worse. An absolute travesty of over crowding ,  poorly managed , poorly catered for national treasure. 

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Deep Sea World. 

This. I went there as a kid, 25 years ago. Took my daughter there during lockdown, exactly the same. It was probably the same feckin old ass sharks as well. Complete rip off. Needs a re-vamp. 

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Edinburgh Castle. 

This. It's not even that original either. The front of it at the esplanade is a big faked up Victorian build. 

I'd also like to add Edinburgh Zoo. The place is a shambles and I'd never go back. Is not a patch on 5 sisters for a day out and price. 

3 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Following from yesterday listening to a radio phone in they asked for people to tell them about visiting somewhere that was well.....erm rubbish Times Square got mentioned along with somebody had visited and art gallery and the Mona Lisa was on display again it was tiny and not what they expected. My two which i thought was just a waste of time Madam Tussauds in London.....really just really & the Kennedy Space centre attraction in Florida a load of old space shuttles in a garden and a couple of space suits.........aaaaaand a gift shop.

Absolutely loved it. 

Auld Reekin'
38 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Flodden Field.

Its a Field 

Actually a few fields, a hill, and a memorial cross, but the "visitors' centre" is a decommissioned 'phone box!   :jj_facepalm:

Having said that, it is in England (by 2 or 3 miles) so it's probably all the better for being pretty low-key and not in any way celebratory or triumphalist. 

It's actually a good walk around the perimeters and key points of the battlefield, with great views to the north as you go round it. There's a nice inscription on the memorial cross too: "To The Brave Of Both Nations".

On a decent day, you could do a lot worse than combine a visit to Flodden, the nearby Duddo standing stones, and then a couple of pints in the Black Bull in Etal!

1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

And Edinburgh castle - mainly because our Crown Jewels are shite. 
Like pathetically bad.

Or you could say authentic as opposed to massive over egged displays of empire. 

doctor jambo
Just now, Tazio said:

Or you could say authentic as opposed to massive over egged displays of empire. 

If they are a bit meh, what is the point in being royal?

I’d be sat on a throne of skulls, being poured Meade by enslaved concubines from gold goblets.

John O Groats.

Its a shit hole with a  big sign telling you how far away you are from where you actually want to be right now.

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

If they are a bit meh, what is the point in being royal?

I’d be sat on a throne of skulls, being poured Meade by enslaved concubines from gold goblets.

Surprisingly some of the elements were gifts from the Vatican and the Catholic Church not exactly being known for modest use of precious materials. 

V&A Dundee. 

Everything said about it eg Trip Advisor is right. Glorified cafe with a Scottish section that will take you 40 minutes to go round. 

Though funnily their own survey says its brilliant. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

V&A Dundee. 

Everything said about it eg Trip Advisor is right. Glorified cafe with a Scottish section that will take you 40 minutes to go round. 

Agree with this, they're lucky I never filled out their survey.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Scottish Parliament building.

Horrendous.

:facepalm:

I really like it. Unique.

Scottish_Parliament_Building_and_adjacen

Edited by Ray Gin

3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Lego Land.

The one in Windsor? Was planning to head down there in the October break. 

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It is just a shame the best views of it are from above it on the crags or Arthur’s Seat. 

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Giant's Causeway, though it was a long time ago that I visited but came away thinking, if only Staffa was more accessible.  Even Samson's Ribs aren't a mile away from being as impressive.

BOSWELL. "Is not the Giant's-Causeway worth seeing?"
JOHNSON. "Worth seeing, yes; but not worth going to see."
Boswell: Life of Johnson

33 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

V&A Dundee. 

Aye, absolutely nothing in it. Was in and out within 10 minutes. That place sums up Dundee. 

32 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Reminds me of the demolished council housing at Pennywell.  An eyesore.

6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Aye, absolutely nothing in it. Was in and out within 10 minutes. That place sums up Dundee. 

There’s some odd set up along the lines of the building is owned by Dundee but the collection and temporary exhibitions are decided by the V&A in London and they’re not going to send their top end ones. 

Just now, Tazio said:

There’s some odd set up along the lines of the building is owned by Dundee but the collection and temporary exhibitions are decided by the V&A in London and they’re not going to send their top end ones. 

Would you send top end exhibitions to Dundee? 🤔

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Would you send top end exhibitions to Dundee? 🤔

Good question. But as an example if they’d sent their David Bowie exhibition I would have had my vaccinations and gone to see it. 

Edited by Tazio

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Good question. But as an example if they’d sent their David Bowie exhibition I would have had my vaccinations and gone to see it. 

I was expecting that exhibition to be there when they opened it.  Maybe the opening date slipped and missed the window to book it.

I went to London for the Scotland vs Brazil game - just after the exhibition finished there.  Picked up a couple of things from the store though at the V&A.

Speaking of which I'm a bit knackered after RSD today, where I picked up the Bowie items.

Edited by frankblack

49 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

The one in Windsor? Was planning to head down there in the October break. 

My sons loved it.

Lego51.jpg

Dynamic Earth is a joke.

Went when it first opened and it was alright.

Went back a few years later and it was awful.

Staff just rattled through their wee script then disappeared for a chat.

No hanging around to answer questions or interact with visitors in any way.

Half the interactive screens are broken.

Shoddy.

The thing is if something is underwhelming and free I don’t mind. It’s always an eye opener when you’re abroad seeing just how much certain things are to get into. MOMA in New York is a fantastic gallery but the last time I visited it was £25 to get in and don’t even think about visiting the coffee shop Unless you have plenty spare cash. 

3 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Yes, it's almost on a par with the Doge's Palace or. Eiffel Tower in Vegas. At least they're obviously fake. :lol:

I thought the Doge's Palace was alright, never got the hype about the Bridge of Sigh's though.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

It is just a shame the best views of it are from above it on the crags or Arthur’s Seat. 

That was always the plan in the design.