Underachievers

jbee647

Check out this squad from 2007, quality everywhere, finished a poor seventh

we as a club have consistently underachieved for many years

D7A38B80-1FFD-4E47-AD5F-348237C17627.jpeg

To be fair, off the pitch 2007/8 was the peak of the shambles off the pitch. For example we had the committee, Malofeev and Frail in charge at various points. Turning up at Tynecastle, you would have no clue of who would be in the starting XI and the tactics and substitutions were farcical.

Individaully, a very strong squad but sadly the absolute shambles that we were that season meant it was never going to go well.

Having a new manager every week and a squad of about 300 players isn't usually a recipe for success.

This was also the season of pre-determined substitutions. IIRC there was one game at home to Dundee United, where Ibrahim Tall, playing at right back, got sent off and because the management didn't have permission to adjust the team or tactics, we lost 4-0. Barry Robson scored a hat trick for United because he with no opposing full back to beat, he had acres of space to run in off the left wing and score at will.

17 minutes ago, Gav M said:

number of faces in there i don't even recognise!

kind of says it all for that season though

Other than a couple of younger lads in the back row I’d say most are instantly recognisable.

44 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

To be fair, off the pitch 2007/8 was the peak of the shambles off the pitch. For example we had the committee, Malofeev and Frail in charge at various points. Turning up at Tynecastle, you would have no clue of who would be in the starting XI and the tactics and substitutions were farcical.

What was wrong with Malofeev? :whistling:

48 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

We used 35 players last season, with only Celtic using more. There are only 34 players in that pic, so finishing 7th with that squad, during the peak of the Vlad lunacy isn't such a bad result. Maybe if we'd had a faith healer/mystic last season we'd still be in the Premiership. :whistling:

Toxteth O'Grady
18 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

This was also the season of pre-determined substitutions. IIRC there was one game at home to Dundee United, where Ibrahim Tall, playing at right back, got sent off and because the management didn't have permission to adjust the team or tactics, we lost 4-0. Barry Robson scored a hat trick for United because he with no opposing full back to beat, he had acres of space to run in off the left wing and score at will.

Aye Robson and Noel Hunt had the freedom of the park that day. I think we played with 2 strikers and 2 wingers after our full back was sent off. Suicidal stuff and the fans chanting “You don’t know what your doing” 

jamboinglasgow
56 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Other than a couple of younger lads in the back row I’d say most are instantly recognisable.

•  

I was surprised by how many I recognised.

We finished fecking 7th because Vlad was picking the team. :rofl:

I've never felt seethe like it in my life when he picked a team of Liths to play an Edinburgh Derby, big huddy Beniuseless upfront. :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Shanks said:

That squad finishing 7th is no where near as bad as our current "squad" being bottom of the league.

Exactly. the 2019/20* season squad is one of the most under achieving squads in the history of our great club. 

20 minutes ago, Shanks said:

That squad finishing 7th is no where near as bad as our current "squad" being bottom of the league.

I’m not disagreeing, but that squad in 2007 had some real quality, and should have been nowhere near as low as seventh 

Hearts other than an eight year spell from 1954-62 have been inconsistent and greatly underachieved for the size of club.

We have been the third biggest club in this country, we should have shown far more consistency than we have

We have been ran badly from the boardroom for the majority of our existence 

John Findlay
48 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

I’m not disagreeing, but that squad in 2007 had some real quality, and should have been nowhere near as low as seventh 

Hearts other than an eight year spell from 1954-62 have been inconsistent and greatly underachieved for the size of club.

We have been the third biggest club in this country, we should have shown far more consistency than we have

Far to sensible a post

I get what the OP means. There’s two starting 11s there that should’ve been pushing for 3rd at least. 

Gordon

Neilson

Zal

Berra

Concalves

miko

Aguir

Kingston

McCann

Bednar

Pinilla

Banks

McGowan

Tall

Karapidis

Wallace

Cesny

Palazualos

Stewart

Driver

Velicka

Pospisil

Forget sometimes just how much a circus we were. 

24 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I get what the OP means. There’s two starting 11s there that should’ve been pushing for 3rd at least. 

Gordon

Neilson

Zal

Berra

Concalves

miko

Aguir

Kingston

McCann

Bednar

Pinilla

Banks

McGowan

Tall

Karapidis

Wallace

Cesny

Palazualos

Stewart

Driver

Velicka

Pospisil

Jesus if only we had a stable club back then forget 3rd with that lot you could challenge for the title with a good manager 

By way of contrast. This team, well managed should have won the league.

Henry Smith

Walter Kidd

Brian Whittaker

Sandy Jardine

Neil Berry

Craig Levein

Jimmy Bone

Willie Johnston

George Cowie

John Colquhoun

Kenny Black

Sandy Clark

Gary McKay

John Robertson 

Old men and laddies. 

I’m gonna live to see it. 

Bazzas right boot

We've underachieved for more than 50 years. 

Not helped by crippling debts since the 70's and a mixture of bad luck and maybe even bottle in the 80's and early 90's we have not won nearly enough, finishing 2nd and getting to semi finals was a frustrating occurance back then. 

Now it's hard to win a trophy at all with celtic and previously rangers being so far ahead financially. 

Where we need to be is where Aberdeen are and build from there to actually win things. 

Celtic have won 11 trophies on the bounce. 

Scottish football had a wee flurry as rangers hit the skids with Ross County, ict, Hibs, St Johnstone, killie, St Mirren all winning a trophy, imo this wouldn't have happened if rangers had been strong and unlikely to win a trophy. 

I reckon if there is 10 trophies, 1 will go to a non of team. It's a small window for any team and that window is closing further. 

Getting in about 3rd consistently and being in a position to nab more cups, means not getting knocked out by anyone other than  a top 6 club which is the luck of the draw to an extent. 

Our record in the league cup is awful and the  St Mirren defeat was the big shiney dog  turd on that particular shit cake. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

We have under performed for years and I’m getting sick of it.The players get good money and the way they perform is a joke.

Hectormasson
4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not helped by crippling debts since the 70's and a mixture of bad luck and maybe even bottle in the 80's and early 90's we have not won nearly enough, finishing 2nd and getting to semi finals was a frustrating occurance back then. 

Now it's hard to win a trophy at all with celtic and previously rangers being so far ahead financially. 

Where we need to be is where Aberdeen are and build from there to actually win things. 

Scottish football had a wee flurry as rangers hit the skids with Ross County, ict, Hibs, St Johnstone, killie, St Mirren all winning a trophy, imo this wouldn't have happened if rangers had been strong and unlikely to win a trophy. 

I reckon if there is 10 trophies, 1 will go to a non of team. It's a small window for any team and that window is closing further. 

Getting in about 3rd consistently and being in a position to nab more cups, means not getting knocked out by anyone other than  a top 6 club which is the luck of the draw to an extent. 

Our record in the league cup is awful and the  St Mirren defeat was the big shiney dog  turd on that particular shit cake. 

The lack of bottle in that game v st mirren was very hard to take , cant remember being so dissapointed after a match than that one,  and it was f....g freezing.......

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

The lack of bottle in that game v st mirren was very hard to take , cant remember being so dissapointed after a match than that one,  and it was f....g freezing.......

I drove there and back myself, on the motorbike. 

Was hungover to ****, my son bailed so decided at like 1300 to hammer through, knowing I could pretty much park outside, freezing and wet, hungover, freezing and wet going back. 

Still got a bevvy on the sun night tho. 😂

10 hours ago, jbee647 said:

tenor.gif.bfaed568956cf8f0d23962f272e77039.gif

7 hours ago, DS98 said:

Gordon

Neilson

Zal

Berra

Concalves

miko

Aguir

Kingston

McCann

Bednar

Pinilla

Banks

McGowan

Tall

Karapidis

Wallace

Cesny

Palazualos

Stewart

Driver

Velicka

Pospisil

Gordon left before that season started. Bednar was inexplicably loaned to West Brom where he got caught buying cocaine. Velicka left half way through. Think Pospíšil left after 06/07.(edit. I stand corrected after looking at the photo, don’t remember any real contribution from him that season though)

All the same, what was left should’ve really done a lot better, I.e: taking more than 4 points against Gretna

And of course, who could forget the 3-2 defeat against Inverness at Tynecastle when we finished with Lee Wallace in goals because Kurskis got sent off.

Edited by Thommo414

11 hours ago, Gav M said:

number of faces in there i don't even recognise!

kind of says it all for that season though

The vast majority are easily named.

Hectormasson
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I drove there and back myself, on the motorbike. 

Was hungover to ****, my son bailed so decided at like 1300 to hammer through, knowing I could pretty much park outside, freezing and wet, hungover, freezing and wet going back. 

Still got a bevvy on the sun night tho. 😂

Ended up in old mclachlans in canonmills drookit freezing ,couldn't bear to even talk about it !      Saying that no one asked🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🍻🍻🍻🍺

Guest ToqueJambo
12 hours ago, jbee647 said:

On the other hand, prior to that season we were the only non OF team to never finish outwith the top 6 since the SPL started. We were (and still are) the last team to split the OF when Rangers and Celtic were strong and we are still the non-OF team that has got closest to the title in the last 35 years.

2007 was peak Romanov. What a mad time.

12 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Especially in 2012.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Right in that period where Romanov had had two years to epically **** things up but before he lost interest. Kurskis at home in a loss in December was pretty much the nadir. Was announced a few days later that a proper manager would be hired. Only took seven months after that. Some great players in that squad though.

19 hours ago, jbee647 said:

15 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

By way of contrast. This team, well managed should have won the league.

Henry Smith

Walter Kidd

Brian Whittaker

Sandy Jardine

Neil Berry

Craig Levein

Jimmy Bone

Willie Johnston

George Cowie

John Colquhoun

Kenny Black

Sandy Clark

Gary McKay

John Robertson 

Old men and laddies. 

I’m gonna live to see it. 

Is this a joke?  2 names jbee and jamhammer talk of one squad which underachieves and we have been since and the other of a squad which gives us the most pain on reflection.

J bee and Jam hammer !!,???

3 hours ago, brux said:

Is this a joke?  2 names jbee and jamhammer talk of one squad which underachieves and we have been since and the other of a squad which gives us the most pain on reflection.

J bee and Jam hammer !!,???

Absolutely no idea where you are coming from, not one thing I’ve said can be disputed

we have a history of underachieving there is absolutely no disputing the fact

3 trophies in 58 years is massively underachieving for a club the size of Heart of Midlothian 

2 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Absolutely no idea where you are coming from, not one thing I’ve said can be disputed

we have a history of underachieving there is absolutely no disputing the fact

3 trophies in 58 years is massively underachieving for a club the size of Heart of Midlothian 

3 in 58 years, surely you mean 3 in 24 years?

On 26/08/2020 at 11:13, jbee647 said:

I'll go against the grain here. 

We played that season without Gordon, Aguiar, Bednar and Pinilla. The 4 best players in thar photo. 

Kingston was talented. Stewart was OK,got better the season after under Csaba. Driver was young. Berra and Wallace were improving. 

We replaced Roman Bednar with Christian Nade. 

On 26/08/2020 at 16:02, Smith's right boot said:

Was going to post similar. 

I reckon we're finally in a good position as a club to kick on. Being on the cusp of officially being fan owned is tremendous and hopefully it remains an attractive quirk of being a Jambo. We need to get focused on finding innovative ways to try and grow our finances to create a gap in revenue between ourselves, Hibs and Aberdeen. I think if we can do that, securing 3rd and putting together a solid consistent team will come. Having backers like James Anderson and his merry band is good and will hopefully encourage more corporate vistors/sponsors/hospitality. 

I badly want to see us look further into increased stadium capacity. It doesn't need to be all at once, but beginning to take steps to secure the land with the FOH money might be a solid step in the right direction. By my understanding we need to secure the a sizeable portion of the flats on Gorgie road to be able to grow the Gorgie stand, the community pitch owned by the brewery for the Wheatfield and possible some of the old school for the roseburn. Planning permission will no doubt be a pain in the arse, but the club is owned by the community and is of huge value economically to both the city but the local community too, so I suspect any problems are surmountable with enough effort. The brewery may also move at some point too, so being in a position to capitalise on that is a necessity. 

The above might sound far fetched right now, but we need to be looking to protect our future sooner, rather than later. Edinburgh house prices are only going to go up which will make securing land even more expensive. We can buy something without the need the do anything with it right now. For example, securing the front street block by block over several years. We wanted to stay at Tynecastle, but if we want to realise our potential we need to have the space to expand when the time calls for it. Whats more, Edinburghs population is set to rise even more, which means more potential fans. A 20,000 seater stadium in a city looking to surpass half a million in the next decade isn't going to satisfy demand.

We've been run so poorly for as you say 50+ years. We're almost starting on the backfoot and need to make up for lost time. With the right level of expansion and success on the field I think we could grow considerably over the next decade. 

Edited by OTT

On 26/08/2020 at 13:29, jbee647 said:

Size has got little to do with it, good management and players staying fit is so important.

85-85 we had a great run with few injuries only for some hibby chef to poison the grub.

There can be little doubt that we have over our lifetime we have underachieved. For the third biggest club in Scotland it is not acceptable. Apart from a few odd years we have not performed to our potential.

Yes we have been mismanaged, both on and off the park but for some unexplicable reason we appear to be in a void. We have mostly held a Inferiority complex to  rangers and celtic, and a superiority complex to the others - without fighting for that right.

Until we sort out the mentality, nothing is likely to change.....