AlimOzturk

12 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Messi is still brilliant but some of those stats are pretty nonsensical: ‘Shots’, ‘shots on target’ etc.

If someone is having more shots than anyone in the league, you’d bloody hope they also had more shots on target than anyone else and ditto if you have more shots on target than anyone else you’d expect to score more of them than anyone else. Just seems a case of BT adding irrelevant ‘1sts’ for the sake of making the list longer.

25 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Messi is still brilliant but some of those stats are pretty nonsensical: ‘Shots’, ‘shots on target’ etc.

If someone is having more shots than anyone in the league, you’d bloody hope they also had more shots on target than anyone else and ditto if you have more shots on target than anyone else you’d expect to score more of them than anyone else. Just seems a case of BT adding irrelevant ‘1sts’ for the sake of making the list longer.

Not really irrelevant. If Hearts were linked with someone with equivalent stats at any level we would all be creaming ourselves.

Goals, shots, shots on target, assists have been the main measure of clubs and players for decades now and he tops every list.

I think he stays at Barca anyway. Or perhaps Inter. Would love to see him turn down the EPL.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Morgan

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

Ibrahim Tall
44 minutes ago, Homme said:

Not really irrelevant. If Hearts were linked with someone with equivalent stats at any level we would all be creaming ourselves.

Goals, shots, shots on target, assists have been the main measure of clubs and players for decades now and he tops every list.

I think he stays at Barca anyway. Or perhaps Inter. Would love to see him turn down the EPL.

That isn’t what I said though, is it? 
For me Messi is the greatest player ever but it doesn’t change the fact that BT have buried his key stats in unnecessary ones in an effort just to say ‘1st, 1st, 1st’ while at the same time leaving off other figures that are more relevant(where he’s still probably stupidly high) but not 1st.

Or else somethings massively wrong: More shots = More shots on target = more goals. What would be a greater indicator instead of something as vague as ‘shots’ would be to indicate his shot/goal %.

i.e. you have two players in the same team, same opposition etc. 
Player A spends the whole game pinging shots at every opportunity from 20 yards and finishes the game with 25 shots, 10 on target and 2 goals.

Player B shoots when he has a more realistic chance of scoring and finishes the game with 5 shots, 5 on target and 1 goal.

Whats a better statistic, that A is 1st, 1st, 1st or that B puts all his shots on target and score 20% of them?

That isn’t the case with Messi but my deliberately omitting more revealing stats where he’s perhaps 4th or 5th in favour of unnecessary ones is silly.   

41 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Ok, so I maybe a touch exuberant with the use of downward trajectory when I would have been better suggesting as Mauricio has (not the player he once was due to age starting to catch up), but totally agree with Ibrahim above. The first three lines of stats are relevant for a Forward, the rest of it is a bit Ebbe Skovdahl. 

No wonder Barca are £500m in debt.

Messi contract with all loyalty bonuses is being reported as a massive £110m a year.£2.11m a week ****ing hell makes you wonder can anybody really afford him , City would need to really restructure things to get by ffp rules.

Basic wage is £1.1m a week.

Edited by vegas-voss

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

No wonder Barca are £500m in debt.

Messi contract with all loyalty bonuses is being reported as a massive £110m a year.£2.11m a week ****ing hell makes you wonder can anybody really afford him , City would need to really restructure things to get by ffp rules.

Basic wage is £1.1m a week.

Has their debt went down.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54032101

Is staying at Barca and is making it sound like he's being kept there against his will :lol:

There has to be more to this than how he's making it out.

Why on earth would he agree to a 700 Million Euro release clause in his contract the first place, knowing fine well no-one in the entire footballing World would be able to afford a 0.7 BILLION Euro fee?  And that's before factoring in wages and other bonus payments.  That release clause makes it completely impossible for him to play anywhere else should something like this happen where he wants a move :lol:

Football at the top end of the spectrum is absolutely ****ing ridiculous!

Edited by tian447

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Why on earth would he agree to a 700 Million Euro release clause in his contract the first place, knowing fine well no-one in the entire footballing World would be able to afford a 0.7 BILLION Euro fee?  And that's before factoring in wages and other bonus payments.  That release clause makes it completely impossible for him to play anywhere else should something like this happen where he wants a move :lol:

Probably because he was happy and felt settled at the time. I wonder how injured he's going to be this season :D Will be funny watching two world class talents in Bale and Messi sitting in the stands next season because nae ***** can afford their absolutely astronomical fees. 

That's the thing with those clauses in Spain, they're enforced (I think) so clubs set them ludicrously high if the player lets them. It was only half as much as that until 2017 when he signed his new deal. 

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Finding it hard to care tbh

Also true!

"Boohoo, I have to stay at Barcelona and get paid over a million pounds a week, woe is me!"

Prick!

3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54032101

Is staying at Barca and is making it sound like he's being kept there against his will :lol:

That's exactly it.  Unless some club come in and pay the ransom, unlikely. 

14 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Messi will end his career with Barcelona.

His contract is up next summer.  He wants out but they want compensation until then.  Actually expecting him to pay 700m to buy his contract.  Bunch of sharks.  Soon as he goes, Spanish football is done.  Can't think of anyone that can fill that void. 

3 hours ago, tian447 said:

Release clauses are mandatory in Spain, which is why the better players have ones at ridiculous amounts of money.

17 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

That's exactly it.  Unless some club come in and pay the ransom, unlikely. 

His contract is up next summer.  He wants out but they want compensation until then.  Actually expecting him to pay 700m to buy his contract.  Bunch of sharks.  Soon as he goes, Spanish football is done.  Can't think of anyone that can fill that void. 

I think it will move on slowly, but football in general will have a void that can't be filled when he and Ronaldo hang up their boots. Players who have looked early on as though they might break into that territory have never even got close in the end. 

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, VALDOS' said:

I think it will move on slowly, but football in general will have a void that can't be filled when he and Ronaldo hang up their boots. Players who have looked early on as though they might break into that territory have never even got close in the end. 

I suspect “the next Messi or Ronaldo” chat will go on for another 50 or 60 years before anybody gets close. That’s what we’ve been lucky to see. 

1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

Attention seeking wee prick 

Yes if there's one thing lionel messi craves but never gets it's attention. 

How much, on average, will we each need to increase our FoH subs by to invoke his release clause?

Still reckon we could do it...

9 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Yes if there's one thing lionel messi craves but never gets it's attention. 

You do know that it’s possible to get lots of attention but still be an attention seeker?  We have them on abundance on here.  

Lionel Messi won't have to serve a custodial sentence after a court in Spain reduced his tax fraud sentence to a fine. He and his father had been accused of avoiding over four million euros in taxes. A Spanish court hasreduced Lionel Messi's suspended prison sentence for tax fraud to a 252,000 euro ($287,000) fine.7 Jul 2017

£1m a week and still tried to avoid tax , I don’t care how good a player he is , he’s a ****ing knob . I really hope the clubs all around the world that pay wages like this go bust ,never to return .

I think Messi will leave.

His statement is just part of negotiations to put it back to Barcelona to agree a deal. 

Rebuild properly under new manager or limp on with an unhappy disruptive player. 

This whole thing has been stage managed by Barca and Messi to divert attention away from the Bayern pumping.

They've manipulated the fans emotions by converting their anger (after the Bayern pumping) to fear (at the thought of losing messi) 

And now they arrive at relief that he's staying. 

8 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

"I'm staying because I could never go to court against Barca" (In case I lose.)

Perhaps you should take it for what it is..a simple statement of fact that he is aware that the club has become his club and does not want his time there sullied by a court case

Of course there will be an element of him hoping the club will reciprocate his feelings but there is no reason to doubt his word

Oh and were it us he was considering coming to the number of posters on here who would reverse their opinions and delete their posts quickly then fight to kiss his backside on doing so...those are the hypocrites not Messi

Fort Vallance
15 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Perhaps you should take it for what it is..a simple statement of fact that he is aware that the club has become his club and does not want his time there sullied by a court case

Of course there will be an element of him hoping the club will reciprocate his feelings but there is no reason to doubt his word

Oh and were it us he was considering coming to the number of posters on here who would reverse their opinions and delete their posts quickly then fight to kiss his backside on doing so...those are the hypocrites not Messi

Absolutely.  Myself included. We're all fickle when it comes to our club.

Bazzas right boot
On 05/09/2020 at 15:21, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

This whole thing has been stage managed by Barca and Messi to divert attention away from the Bayern pumping.

They've manipulated the fans emotions by converting their anger (after the Bayern pumping) to fear (at the thought of losing messi) 

And now they arrive at relief that he's staying. 

Maybe, but after that they did sack the manager and told several players they are done so unsure what was stage, managed Tbh. 

They did take all the action they could after the defeat and now that messi is staying the president will be next to go. 

• 10 months later...
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Such a relief for everyone.

Not sure if that's down to £20 million a year?

Roughly about £17m a year but no doubt that'll be balanced by Barca giving up any share of his endorsements/rights deals

He is one of the greatest players ever, if not the greatest. I'm sure he generates a lot of revenue and interest in Barcelona too. 

2 more years they are saying. Paid over 5 years. That isn't really a pay cut. 

Might still get a move to US while still representing Barcelona. 

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Such a relief for everyone.

Not sure if that's down to £20 million a year?

Modern day hero. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He is one of the greatest players ever, if not the greatest. I'm sure he generates a lot of revenue and interest in Barcelona too. 

But is he? 

Even Nade scored v Hibs, Messi has never scored v Hibs. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

But is he? 

Even Nade scored v Hibs, Messi has never scored v Hibs. 

I think he bagged one vs Hibs at Murrayfield in 08's drubbing.  Not to say Nade was not a silky talent worthy of comparison.