Becoming an "Ebayer"

Jambomuzz

A friend of mine and his Mrs buy the largest dress sizes available in High St shops.Mark them up 100% and sell them in their eBay shop.

Apparently big girls won't go shopping and try clothes on but want recognisable brands.

• 2 weeks later...
Салатные палочки

Just had a message from a buyer. They forgot to collect their package and have lost the slip. They asked if I could resend them when they dropped back here. I said to them that unfortunately I hadn't put a return address on it. I probably should have but then again its not my fault they lost the slip and didn't go to the sorting office within two weeks. 

I’ve sold a couple of vinyl record collections for folk recently. About 400 records in total I was given. I’ve got the time to catalogue and grade it all and list it and watch it and package and post it. It’s quite time consuming when you’ve agreed to sell a whole collection in a month.

70/80/90 punk and prog rock sells quite well and luckily that’s my area of expertise but the condition has to be pretty spot on and you need to be honest about descriptions and covers and sleeves or you get inundated with questions and returns and refunds.

i did the first one on 40% commission after fees which I had paid and they got 60% if what was left. The second one I did at 30% /70% and to be honest was barely worth the effort for me as his collection wasn’t as good. However it was way more than a dealer/shop had offered them even after all the fees and my cut. They also get back all the not so good stuff that didn’t sell. I didn’t sell anything for less than a fiver because the fees swallow all the profit up.

Obviously  thatS the sort of thing you can only do successfully if you already have the stock. Buying vinyl stock from anywhere and trying to flip it for a profit is very hard.

I’d do it again though. Actually if anyone has a collection they’d be happy to have sold on a commission basis (35%)give me a shout. I was actually going to start a thread on selling vinyl so this saves me the trouble.

Edited by JimmyCant

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I’ve sold a couple of vinyl record collections for folk recently. About 400 records in total I was given. I’ve got the time to catalogue and grade it all and list it and watch it and package and post it. It’s quite time consuming when you’ve agreed to sell a whole collection in a month.

70/80/90 punk and prog rock sells quite well and luckily that’s my area of expertise but the condition has to be pretty spot on and you need to be honest about descriptions and covers and sleeves or you get inundated with questions and returns and refunds.

i did the first one on 40% commission after fees which I had paid and they got 60% if what was left. The second one I did at 30% /70% and to be honest was barely worth the effort for me as his collection wasn’t as good. However it was way more than a dealer/shop had offered them even after all the fees and my cut. They also get back all the not so good stuff that didn’t sell. I didn’t sell anything for less than a fiver because the fees swallow all the profit up.

Obviously  thatS the sort of thing you can only do successfully if you already have the stock. Buying vinyl stock from anywhere and trying to flip it for a profit is very hard.

I’d do it again though. Actually if anyone has a collection they’d be happy to have sold on a commission basis (35%)give me a shout. I was actually going to start a thread on selling vinyl so this saves me the trouble.

I sold the bulk of my vinyl 10-12 years ago on eBay, sold hundreds of singles bit by bit and a lot of albums, Beatles albums went like hot cakes, I recall.

If you've got the time there's money to be made, still have a few hundred singles from the late 70's early 80's up in the attic, suppose I should really put them back out, still have a lot of the proper mailing envelopes as well which I had bought at the time, so I really don't have any excuse tbh, I've just never bothered over the last 10 years or so.

Do have a lot of '78's, mostly Jimmy Shand, Alexander Brothers and Scottish Country Dancing etc etc from the 40's & 50's, they were my Grandparents' (Mothers side), so I might keep one or two of them and hand them down.

Yeh, need to get back up into the attic and see just what the hell I have left and take it from there, as I've never played any vinyl for close on 20 years now, not since I converted all my vinyl & tapes into mp3 format (crackles and all in some cases) :laugh:.

29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I sold the bulk of my vinyl 10-12 years ago on eBay, sold hundreds of singles bit by bit and a lot of albums, Beatles albums went like hot cakes, I recall.

If you've got the time there's money to be made, still have a few hundred singles from the late 70's early 80's up in the attic, suppose I should really put them back out, still have a lot of the proper mailing envelopes as well which I had bought at the time, so I really don't have any excuse tbh, I've just never bothered over the last 10 years or so.

Do have a lot of '78's, mostly Jimmy Shand, Alexander Brothers and Scottish Country Dancing etc etc from the 40's & 50's, they were my Grandparents' (Mothers side), so I might keep one or two of them and hand them down.

Yeh, need to get back up into the attic and see just what the hell I have left and take it from there, as I've never played any vinyl for close on 20 years now, not since I converted all my vinyl & tapes into mp3 format (crackles and all in some cases) :laugh:.

Jimmy Shand 78’s still sell on eBay Believe it or not. Like all vinyl, the condition is key obviously but there’s a (small)market it would seem. If you decide you can’t be bothered with the hassle, give me a shout sometime and we can maybe sort something out that suits. I’m retired/redundant so I’ve got time on my hands and I pretty much know what I’m doing.all above board and transparent of course

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Jimmy Shand 78’s still sell on eBay Believe it or not. Like all vinyl, the condition is key obviously but there’s a (small)market it would seem. If you decide you can’t be bothered with the hassle, give me a shout sometime and we can maybe sort something out that suits. I’m retired/redundant so I’ve got time on my hands and I pretty much know what I’m doing.all above board and transparent of course

I'm in the same boat, retired (medical reasons) so have lots of time on my hands as well and have been selling on eBay for the last 15-16 years, it's my pocket money nowadays, but every now and again you get a good one.

Sold a first day cover for over £200 tail end of last year, I probably bought it in a job lot for £10 or £20 or something like that, but sometimes you can find a wee gem in them, I've found a few over the years.

I'm at £53,000 worth of selling on ebay.   Mostly private buying and selling personal goods.    Trying to think of some kind of commodity to do some some small scale business trading.   I want to hit these requirements.

1.  Small items for home stock storage.

2.  Relatively low value items in order to safely use cheap shipping method,  free to purchaser,  with little liability from a percentage of lost items.  Small mailer bag sized.

3.  Items of little risk of being damaged,  faulty,  broken,  not as described.

4.  Enough margin to operate at small scale,  avoid very small margin to require large scale requiring excessive time listing,  packaging,  posting,  answering questions,  etc.   Ability to absorb cost of lost items.

5.  Avoid items with existing mass saturation of market,  pervaded by huge scale vendors.

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm at £53,000 worth of selling on ebay.   Mostly private buying and selling personal goods.    Trying to think of some kind of commodity to do some some small scale business trading.   I want to hit these requirements.

1.  Small items for home stock storage.

2.  Relatively low value items in order to safely use cheap shipping method,  free to purchaser,  with little liability from a percentage of lost items.  Small mailer bag sized.

3.  Items of little risk of being damaged,  faulty,  broken,  not as described.

4.  Enough margin to operate at small scale,  avoid very small margin to require large scale requiring excessive time listing,  packaging,  posting,  answering questions,  etc.   Ability to absorb cost of lost items.

5.  Avoid items with existing mass saturation of market,  pervaded by huge scale vendors.

I’ve used John PYE auctions (they have a depot in Bo’ness)with varying degrees of success to buy stock for resale. Best I did was a big job lot of Echo Dots which I tripled my money on. There’s also been failures I have to say and you need to remember there are fees and VAT to add to your winning bid. Pretty good if you know what’s selling that week in the market. It’s very short bursts with a lot of stuff. Get in quick and you’ll mAke money. Then the market saturates in a given item and you cant even get back what you paid out.

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’ve used John PYE auctions (they have a depot in Bo’ness)with varying degrees of success to buy stock for resale. Best I did was a big job lot of Echo Dots which I tripled my money on. There’s also been failures I have to say and you need to remember there are fees and VAT to add to your winning bid. Pretty good if you know what’s selling that week in the market. It’s very short bursts with a lot of stuff. Get in quick and you’ll mAke money. Then the market saturates in a given item and you cant even get back what you paid out.

No I would be looking to sell the same things on a consistent basis.   Sourced from a reliable wholesaler.    Some kind of stuff to gradually build up a range or build up enough scale to achieve better purchase prices.    Most low value items on ebay are swamped by the huge scale sellers of course.    Not interested in having to put in 12 hour days for £40 gross profit or such like.    

• 5 weeks later...

Been re-selling on ebay now for 2 months. £1800 total sales, and sitting around £1100 total profit.

Its quite enjoyable, can be a little stressful at times getting things posted on time when your working a full time job however. 

Best purchase so far has been a disney waffle maker at a car boot for £3 that we just sold on Friday for £100. 

Been concentrating on game bundles, splitting up and selling individually and it's working well. Loving the thrill of getting a good deal on something and watching the bids fly in. 

Have only had a couple issues with items and the majority of things are fairly low in price that we send so it's easy enough to take the hit and just refund. You can kind of sense when some one is at it.