Becoming an "Ebayer"

Jambomuzz

Recently had a clear out of some old stuff lying about the house, used ebay to sell the majority and it has become somewhat addicting to the point where I'm looking at buying and reselling items online. I thibk there is cash to be made. 

Does anyone else do this and have any hints etc? 

Protect yourself. Make sure there's a paper trail for everything you send along with adequate insurance from the carrier. Eg. Send everything at least track and trace. 

Got a mate at work that does it and he does very well. He jumps on every trend going and knocks the arse out of it.

I've seen some people say get yourself on Amazon as well if you're going to flip stuff. 

Apparently, it's not unusual to see stuff sell on Ebay for half the price listed on Amazon Marketplace.

There's money to be made if you're smart enough. I am not. 

6 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

I've seen some people say get yourself on Amazon as well if you're going to flip stuff. 

Apparently, it's not unusual to see stuff sell on Ebay for half the price listed on Amazon Marketplace.

When I still had my ps3, I always bought my games on Amazon then sold them on ebay for a couple of quid more, always found games cheaper on Amazon. 

Ive become more minimalist so offload loads. Ebay is a necessary evil. Its all in favour of buyers though amd unfortunately there are plenty unscrupulous buyers who will try it on so you need to be savvy.

Also fees are ridic. They take a cut of postage to. Easy way is work out that between ebay n paypal you lose 20% overall. Its slightly less but this will cover your packaging and sellotape etc

Also everyone is at it. And be careful if you either buy and sell the same items online or get to levels where ebay can deem you a business. (Needs to be quite high for this but worth mentioning)

My mate now owns a warehouse where he buys decon stock etc and sells online. Makes a decent living off it.

I find its good for clearing out and pocket money.

Also you will be shocked at what sells old clothes etc.

Doctor FinnBarr

I came home from the pub one night and managed to put in a winning bid of 3k for a VW trike. Got relisted as I didn't have enough "buying points" or summit. Was pretty glad in the cold light of day, don't imagine her indoors would have been too chuffed to get home from work to find a bright green trike parked outside.

4 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I came home from the pub one night and managed to put in a winning bid of 3k for a VW trike. Got relisted as I didn't have enough "buying points" or summit. Was pretty glad in the cold light of day, don't imagine her indoors would have been too chuffed to get home from work to find a bright green trike parked outside.

:rofl: 

SectionDJambo

Some general opinion, not just for the OP.
Used to sell quite a bit on eBay some years ago. I enjoyed it but, as has been said previously, watch out for chancers and people who don’t appreciate postage costs. If you aren’t laying out money for the items you are selling, it’s not such a big deal to take some of the postage and packing hit, but take care on your pricing. Remember eBay take a percentage of the sale amount as commission too.
Make sure you have a post office within walking distance, so you don’t need to use your car, adding to your expenses. Use good packaging to minimise the chance of damage of your items in transit. You want to be confident that you can argue your case if their is a dispute about the condition your items arrive, at the buyer, in.
Try not to list too many items at once. If they all sell, you’ll end up going along to the post office with a lot of packages and annoy some other, impatient, punters in the queue behind you. 
If you’ve got plenty spare time, it can be an enjoyable pastime and will give you cash for clearing out stuff that’s getting in the road.

If you’re buying items to sell, consider all the potential expenses and how confident you are that your items will sell on for a worthwhile profit.

crunchy frog

Be wary of sending stuff to countries that have a dodgy postal system. Russia and Moldova spring to mind but I have heard Italy is bad. Things can go "missing" and you may have to refund the buyer

9 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Used to sell quite a bit on eBay some years ago. I enjoyed it but, as has been said previously, watch out for chancers and people who don’t appreciate postage costs. If you aren’t laying out money for the items you are selling, it’s not such a big deal to take some of the postage and packing hit, but take care on your pricing. Remember eBay take a percentage of the sale amount as commission too.
Make sure you have a post office within walking distance, so you don’t need to use your car, adding to your expenses. Use good packaging to minimise the chance of damage of your items in transit. You want to be confident that you can argue your case if their is a dispute about the condition your items arrive, at the buyer, in.
Try not to list too many items at once. If they all sell, you’ll end up going along to the post office with a lot of packages and annoy some other, impatient, punters in the queue behind you. 
If you’ve got plenty spare time, it can be an enjoyable pastime and will give you cash for clearing out stuff that’s getting in the road.

If you’re buying items to sell, consider all the potential expenses and how confident you are that your items will sell on for a worthwhile profit.

And 10% of your postage charge as well, then there's paypal charges as well to consider.

That can be swings and roundabouts that one, I've often bought stuff thinking, yes I'll make money on this, and then struggle to sell it/them, equally I've put out stuff thinking I'll be lucky to sell this only to find it goes quickly, it just depends who is looking for what you're selling at any given time.

2 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Be wary of sending stuff to countries that have a dodgy postal system. Russia and Moldova spring to mind but I have heard Italy is bad. Things can go "missing" and you may have to refund the buyer

I stopped sending anything to Russia a good while back, way too many things went 'missing', China & India ain't that great either, I've had issues with both.

Personally I've never had a problem with Italy and I've sent dozens of items to there.

The UK is generally alright, but things can and do go 'missing' here as well.

9 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Post Office? Feck that! Plenty of couriers with drop off points in corner shops which are a lot cheaper and better. There are also the inpost lockers which are serviced by Hermes (who despite their bad rep, I've never had any issues with 🤞) where you can drop off items 24hrs.

Ebaying is on paper easy, but as others say the fees are substantial, although they quite often have offers where selling prices are capped. Usually only for 100 or so items so depends on your volumes. PayPal fees are the final insult. 

The other side of it is that it is a lot of work if you get properly into it. Obtaining stock, packaging, the right sized boxes, arranging couriers or buying postage labels, answering queries in a timely fashion, chasing returns, returning shite stock, ebay disputes, storage, listing items, and the scum who don't pay for their items 😡 That's just off the top of my head. 

Good as a side hustle to make a few quid as long as you keep it on a relatively small scale. If you do it as a business ebay will put a lot more tools at your disposal which help a bit. 

Overall I'd say its hard to make it lucrative if you're a one man band due to the amount of hours you have to put in. 

Салатные палочки

I only started during the summer as I wanted a clear out of clothes and to supplement the money I was saving on fuel during lock down.  So far I have made around £390 quid from selling clothes alone, which is incredible when I think about it.  Most expensive was my M65 parka, which I got £75 for and the cheapest was a crappy wee blue harrington jacket that someone bought for £5.20.  Amazing that the stuff you no longer need or want is what someone else is looking for.  I put another five jackets on last night and a vintage Bayern shirt.  Next I think I'll start putting my old books on.  Got my eye on a new winter jacket so need the reddies for that.  

Weakened Offender

I know someone who has a wee 'part-time job' going around charity shops and then doubling up on ebay. The wee toon charity shops don't have a scooby apparently.. 😀

SectionDJambo
33 minutes ago, Smack said:

Post Office? Feck that! Plenty of couriers with drop off points in corner shops which are a lot cheaper and better. There are also the inpost lockers which are serviced by Hermes (who despite their bad rep, I've never had any issues with 🤞) where you can drop off items 24hrs.

As I said, it was a long time ago, that I used eBay extensively. I’m a dinosaur as far as alternatives to the post office are concerned. Good information and worth following up.

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

I only started during the summer as I wanted a clear out of clothes and to supplement the money I was saving on fuel during lock down.  So far I have made around £390 quid from selling clothes alone, which is incredible when I think about it.  Most expensive was my M65 parka, which I got £75 for and the cheapest was a crappy wee blue harrington jacket that someone bought for £5.20.  Amazing that the stuff you no longer need or want is what someone else is looking for.  I put another five jackets on last night and a vintage Bayern shirt.  Next I think I'll start putting my old books on.  Got my eye on a new winter jacket so need the reddies for that.  

Most people don't realise that they've got hundreds if not thousands of pounds worth of 'stuff' just sitting around in their wardrobes, cupboards, attics and cellars which they may no longer need or use, but somebody somewhere is looking for.

I have had one dispute so far. But he seems to have agreed it has now arrived. But has not closed his dispute. I assume it will be closed by ebay once they see his messages back to me. 

Someone has also not paid for one of the items, how does that work? Do you still get charged the sellers fees etc? 

It's only been a couple days since he won the auction. 

4 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Send to russia semi often. Old gen video games still sell pretty well there. Seems they are a bit behind. Ps2/ps3/xbox

Royal mail insured does the job. Just claim if it gets lost.

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

I know someone who has a wee 'part-time job' going around charity shops and then doubling up on ebay. The wee toon charity shops don't have a scooby apparently.. 😀

Getting harder, anything decent i find alot of charity shops over inflate prices based on a novice google search.

Amount of times if something was £5-10 id take a punt but the items are up at top retail, £20-40.

From past experience scammers will only go for certain items. Not much point in trying to full a fast one one something not worth much in the first place. I sold a MacBook Pro last year and had 2 dodgy buyers before eventually selling it to the 3rd person. 

10 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Someone has also not paid for one of the items, how does that work? Do you still get charged the sellers fees etc? 

It's only been a couple days since he won the auction. 

Dont let them.off the hook

I have my settings to open unpaid item case after 2 days (they then get a further 4 days too pay) or a black mark against account (and seller fee reimbursed)

This doesnt have much real world effect but i also have my settings set to anyone with more than one unpaid item case against them cant bid on my items. Cant being doing with time wasters.

Id encourage any other sellers to do the same.

Just now, Alan_R said:

Dont let them.off the hook

I have my settings to open unpaid item case after 2 days (they then get a further 4 days too pay) or a black mark against account (and seller fee reimbursed)

This doesnt have much real world effect but i also have my settings set to anyone with more than one unpaid item case against them cant bid on my items. Cant being doing with time wasters.

Id encourage any other sellers to do the same.

100% agree. I always make sure these vermin get a strike against them. It's particularly frustrating if it's an auction. Pity you can't block the zero feedback accounts. 

Some people are scared into action when you open the unpaid item case but most just blank it. Had one guy saying something like 'Hi, sorry, got this elsewhere, please cancel' after bidding on my auction at the last minute. This sub human scum was then furious when I opened the unpaid item case and asked me why. I pointed out that the system was in part designed to stop people like him ruining auctions. This made him even more irrationally irate which brought me a modicum of satisfaction. Got more for it second time round anyway. 

Anyway, @Jambomuzz they have 48 hrs to pay and then you can open an unpaid item case. You can then cancel the sale and get your fees back. But if you're hardcore you don't cancel it until the 5th day of the case being open to ensure the bellend gets a strike. 

rudi must stay
13 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

Recently had a clear out of some old stuff lying about the house, used ebay to sell the majority and it has become somewhat addicting to the point where I'm looking at buying and reselling items online. I thibk there is cash to be made. 

Does anyone else do this and have any hints etc? 

I have done it since June 2018. Yes there's cash to be made and a nice community on eBay and Instagram. I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I do know on bigger items you need to wait, don't be tempted to lower you prices. Also see it as a bit of fun, some people take it way too seriously. When I make profit I use it to buy stuff I like and it keeps it fun 

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Send UK only I have done and it's saved me hassle and money. I have an ipad myself that's probably still travelling around India 

6 minutes ago, Smack said:

100% agree. I always make sure these vermin get a strike against them. It's particularly frustrating if it's an auction. Pity you can't block the zero feedback accounts. 

Some people are scared into action when you open the unpaid item case but most just blank it. Had one guy saying something like 'Hi, sorry, got this elsewhere, please cancel' after bidding on my auction at the last minute. This sub human scum was then furious when I opened the unpaid item case and asked me why. I pointed out that the system was in part designed to stop people like him ruining auctions. This made him even more irrationally irate which brought me a modicum of satisfaction. Got more for it second time round anyway. 

Anyway, @Jambomuzz they have 48 hrs to pay and then you can open an unpaid item case. You can then cancel the sale and get your fees back. But if you're hardcore you don't cancel it until the 5th day of the case being open to ensure the bellend gets a strike. 

And that's exactly what I do.

After day 5 of an auction ending and if they still haven't paid, I send them another invoice, then the same on day 6, then on day 7 or 8 it's an unpaid item case, about 50% still don't pay up, so then I close the case as soon as I can, I get all my fees back and they get an unpaid item strike against their account.  They then get added to my blocked bidders list and on my account settings I also have if you've had two unpaid item strikes you are barred from bidding on anything I have on sale.

You've got to try and weed out the time-wasters, them and the scammers are what get's eBay a bad name.

It looks at though he is based in the US (based on his profile location) as I wasn't offering international delivery im assuming this is why he can't pay. Bit silly to be bidding on something that can't be shipped to you! No correspondence whatsoever though to explain.

Ill wait till tomorrow then open an unpaid claim, and as advised wait till the 5th day. I am in no rush for the money and the item will sell eventually (witcher 3 ps4). 

15 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

It looks at though he is based in the US (based on his profile location) as I wasn't offering international delivery im assuming this is why he can't pay. Bit silly to be bidding on something that can't be shipped to you! No correspondence whatsoever though to explain.

Ill wait till tomorrow then open an unpaid claim, and as advised wait till the 5th day. I am in no rush for the money and the item will sell eventually (witcher 3 ps4). 

The international thing is weird. I'm not enrolled in the international sellers program they have but can still sell internationally. 

Have had the same problem you describe where I didn't offer international postage but had a buyer from Brazil. The way around it is to exclude countries/continents/galaxies at this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ship/prf/excludeRegions 

queensferryjambo

Ebay and Paypal take a big bite out the cash (they are the same company I believe) so always take that into account.

People also don't take into account shipping prices and the cost of packaging materials, jiffy bags etc so get stroppy with shipping charges. 

My feed back is 990 something and is 100% positive so must be doing something right. If everyone I sold to or bought from bothered to leave feedback it would be double that.

If you are selling communication is the key IMO.

been here before

We used to sell quite a bit in ebay a good few years ago- made a decent amount at the time. I dont know if its still an option but we always used to list on a Thursday night between 7-9 pm and select the '10 day listing'. 

That way your advert was on over 2 weekends, the days when most people look, and finished at a time when most people are buying.

Might all have changed though.

14 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Amazon fees are even worse than eBay/PayPal. There's money to be made but, you need a decent markup to make it worthwhile.

I once had someone from new Zealand bid on some hearts programmes even though I said uk only. Gave them a ridiculous quote for shipping which they accepted. There were no issues this time. The guy got back to me when they arrived and said he was a huge jambo who missed watching the famous and loved collecting our programmes. 

Had another person from the states, again i gave him a ridiculous price for postage and he took the huff, even though my ad said uk only. Now I wont entertain an overseas buyer.

11 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Send to russia semi often. Old gen video games still sell pretty well there. Seems they are a bit behind. Ps2/ps3/xbox

Royal mail insured does the job. Just claim if it gets lost.

Getting harder, anything decent i find alot of charity shops over inflate prices based on a novice google search.

Amount of times if something was £5-10 id take a punt but the items are up at top retail, £20-40.

I've found PS2 games to be quite fun sourcing and selling on, you know of any to keep an eye out? I dug out some of my old ones to begin with and already have a bid on balders gate 2 for over 10 quid! My witcher 3 on the ps4 wasbt even selling for that!

30 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

I've found PS2 games to be quite fun sourcing and selling on, you know of any to keep an eye out? I dug out some of my old ones to begin with and already have a bid on balders gate 2 for over 10 quid! My witcher 3 on the ps4 wasbt even selling for that!

Theres plenty that are valuable

Rule of rose off top of my head is a big ticket item.

But some of the spiderman and marvel games, spyros, sly racoon, a lot of the rpg games all steady £10ish

Too many folk are doing it. If i pick up a bundle cheap or spot the odd gem in a charity shop then its a nice wee bonus but the competition is flooded if you are looking to make any series money.

I used to do well off lego and building toys (few years back) but again market is flooded. Backside has fell right out that.

7 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Theres plenty that are valuable

Rule of rose off top of my head is a big ticket item.

But some of the spiderman and marvel games, spyros, sly racoon, a lot of the rpg games all steady £10ish

Too many folk are doing it. If i pick up a bundle cheap or spot the odd gem in a charity shop then its a nice wee bonus but the competition is flooded if you are looking to make any series money.

I used to do well off lego and building toys (few years back) but again market is flooded. Backside has fell right out that.

Ill keep an eye out for that one. I suppose games are a pretty low risk investment if you are only paying a quid a game, you can't really lose on them.

I managed to pick up a thrustmaster t150 for the ps4, in really good condition for 50 pounds off facebook marketplace. Seem to sell for between 100-120 second hand on ebay, hoping to make a quick buck off that, already afew people keeping an eye on it. 

I had a look at lego and stuff but people know it's worth ive found, Playmobil also, so it's hard finding a good deal that's going to make you money. 

11 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

Go on ebay and search for 'PS2 games', then filter it for games over,say, £20 and you'll see the ones that go for good money.

Has anyone ever got to the stage where they had to declare themselves a business on ebay? 

Both me and my brother have bought things(off ebay) to then sell on ebay. I struggle to see how they could determine we were a business as such? 

I imagine there is a cap on how much you can sell or something. 

49 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Has anyone ever got to the stage where they had to declare themselves a business on ebay? 

Both me and my brother have bought things(off ebay) to then sell on ebay. I struggle to see how they could determine we were a business as such? 

Is eBay saying you have to register as a business?

been here before
14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

If you can be arsed with folk visiting your door...just Gumtree it mate. No fees.

Much less of a market but far easier to sell. Far better.

Dont ebay own Gumtree?

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Much less of a market but far easier to sell. Far better.

Dont ebay own Gumtree?

Wouldnt surprise me. Ive sold quite a bit on Gumtree. Mainly shite from up the loft or old stuff that the lad doesnt use anymore. 

Dont post anything or sell anything through Paypal though. Loads of scams on the go with that. get cash in hand from the buyer at your door.

Theres also that "for sale or wanted" (Edinburgh, East/West Lothian & Fife etc) on Facebook. I sold an old set of drawers to a guy in Galashiels about a month ago on that. He drove all the way up here that night and paid cash. Easy peasy.

8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Is eBay saying you have to register as a business?

Not at all, i was just curious incase I got to that stage. 

11 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Not at all, i was just curious incase I got to that stage. 

Doubt you will get to that stage tbh.

I've been selling on eBay for over 10 years (on 1 account, I have multiple accounts) and I'm still listed as a private seller, with almost 1600 feedback, 100% I might add, and I have no intention of upgrading to a business account, the reason, I made that mistake of doing that on an my original account back around about 2006 and unless you take out a subscription plan or open a shop (which costs monthly) then you pay for everything you list this account I use nowadays as my buying account), whereas being a private seller on my other accounts, I get at present 1000 free listings every month and at least once a month I also get promotional offers of maximum final listing fees of £1, which obviously is when I list my high value stuff.

Stay as a private seller, you get much more benefits that way, at least that's my opinion.

17 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

I cant remember exact figures so dont quote me on this but im sure its 6 or 8 grands worth a year or certain volume a month.

23 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Wouldnt surprise me. Ive sold quite a bit on Gumtree. Mainly shite from up the loft or old stuff that the lad doesnt use anymore. 

Dont post anything or sell anything through Paypal though. Loads of scams on the go with that. get cash in hand from the buyer at your door.

Theres also that "for sale or wanted" (Edinburgh, East/West Lothian & Fife etc) on Facebook. I sold an old set of drawers to a guy in Galashiels about a month ago on that. He drove all the way up here that night and paid cash. Easy peasy.

What exactly are the PayPal scams? I forgot cash once and offered PayPal and they looked at me like I was a demon. Are there really scams or is it one of those Facebook scare stories? 

50 minutes ago, Smack said:

What exactly are the PayPal scams? I forgot cash once and offered PayPal and they looked at me like I was a demon. Are there really scams or is it one of those Facebook scare stories? 

To be honest I'm not sure Smack but there was various e-mails in the past from PayPal warning about it and how to prevent being scammed.

I just stay away from Paypal when it comes to people paying me although I do use it myself to pay on-line vendors. 

16 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

To be honest I'm not sure Smack but there was various e-mails in the past from PayPal warning about it and how to prevent being scammed.

I just stay away from Paypal when it comes to people paying me although I do use it myself to pay on-line vendors. 

The only scams I'm aware of are the bog standard phishing emails saying that there has been suspicious activity on your account or that paypal has placed a temporary hold or someother scam which wants you to use the link to sign in to your account.

17 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

There's definitely a gap in the market for a trusted peer to peer payment system which can be used for gumtree/car boots etc. I know you can get card readers like izettle and sumup but people don't really trust other 'civillians' with this tech 😁 Would probably have to come from banks before people would accept it. 

That said, I know people who won't put their card details online and reject contactless cards from their bank so the idea of doofing your phone against someone else's to pay for something must seem terrifying. 

22 minutes ago, Smack said:

There's definitely a gap in the market for a trusted peer to peer payment system which can be used for gumtree/car boots etc. I know you can get card readers like izettle and sumup but people don't really trust other 'civillians' with this tech 😁 Would probably have to come from banks before people would accept it. 

That said, I know people who won't put their card details online and reject contactless cards from their bank so the idea of doofing your phone against someone else's to pay for something must seem terrifying. 

Minefield mate.

Cash is king (still)!

Салатные палочки

Why don't people pay for their items straight away? Sold two items last night, a signed Hearts shirt and a Bayern Munich shirt. Guy paid for the Hearts shirt straight away but the Bayern guy hasn't paid yet despite a reminder. If you don't have the money to pay for it then don't bid, especially when the second highest bid was only £1 less. 

:seething:

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Why don't people pay for their items straight away? Sold two items last night, a signed Hearts shirt and a Bayern Munich shirt. Guy paid for the Hearts shirt straight away but the Bayern guy hasn't paid yet despite a reminder. If you don't have the money to pay for it then don't bid, especially when the second highest bid was only £1 less. 

:seething:

Always pay immediately myself.......gave up years ago trying to understand why some folks wait days to pay, it doesn't stress out me at all now.

In saying that there may be a possible reason, eBay has been out for several areas of the country from yesterday evening, had issues signing in myself this morning, although I can now, don't know if everywhere is operating normally now or not.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo