Addictions and having an addictive personality

Morgan

2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

My addiction is Online dating sites - even when I was married. Just chatting and trying to bed the occasional lady but it was becoming all consuming - 3 or 4 sites. Chatting intensely to half a dozen girls and then ultimately meeting up with them. The minute I met someone I moved on to the next and the next..... I met and lost some great girls due to this. 

Sounds like a dream but it affected my mental health - the constant need for attention and some kind of affection that ultimately I pushed away. 

Got way worse now that I’m single - I was in all kind of sites. Dating, friends, sex sites.... spent hours just watching and watching them chatting online to then texting and then 💥.

However I didn’t notice but during lockdown the weight fell off me. I started running after many years away to hip resurfacing. I’ve now found another addiction - that and hillwalking.

Ive deleted all accounts but you will laugh but I struggle to stay away. It’s highly addictive. The need to feel the rush of meeting someone and then taking it to the next level when you are living a lie. 

I’ve been 8 days off the sites and It’s now dawned on me that I actually detested them 😐. It was the instant gratification that I sought. 

What an honest post.  :thumbsup:

Governor Tarkin
16 hours ago, BudgeUp said:

I'm a recovering addict. 

I used to do amphetamines through to zoplicone and everything in between. 

Main vices were cocaine and mdma until I ordered oxycodone off the dark Web. This spiralled to heroin. 

I'm clean and sober now. 

I never touched drugs until I had a child with a disability and lost my brother to suicide within a few weeks. Escalated from a line in the toilet from a mate to be totally truthful. 

12 stepped it but that in itself is hard when you don't believe in God. 

Wouldn't say I have an addictive personality but circumstances and weakness led me to that path. 

Well done, bud, and best wishes for the future. 👍

Салатные палочки
16 hours ago, BudgeUp said:

I'm a recovering addict. 

I used to do amphetamines through to zoplicone and everything in between. 

Main vices were cocaine and mdma until I ordered oxycodone off the dark Web. This spiralled to heroin. 

I'm clean and sober now. 

I never touched drugs until I had a child with a disability and lost my brother to suicide within a few weeks. Escalated from a line in the toilet from a mate to be totally truthful. 

12 stepped it but that in itself is hard when you don't believe in God. 

Wouldn't say I have an addictive personality but circumstances and weakness led me to that path. 

Refreshingly honest mate and well done for getting to where you are today.  I work in addictions and your story is similar to a lot of people who attend our service.  You find that a lot of people who are involved in heroin started through trying to blot out a significant traumatic event.  

We're all guilty at times of saying "aw those bloody junkies, no one but themselves to blame".  There may be some truth in that.  No one forces us to lift a pint to our lips, a toot to our nose or a needle to our arm.  But we rarely know the background to their lives and how they got to this point.  All manner of things including childhood sexual abuse or abuse in care.   

Салатные палочки
21 hours ago, Stokesy said:

I can go months without drinking but as soon as I start I keep going until I fall over. I'm not sure if that's classified as an addiction but, it's certainly a drinking problem.

I seem to have finally kicked my fizzy juice addiction. I used to consume around two litres a day but I think I've had less than ten bottles this year. I had a litre of Coke on my birthday and had a blinding headache afterwards. Not sure if there's a causal link between the Coke and my headache?

Quite simply, it's binge drinking and it is seen as problem drinking.  I am as much at fault for it as anyone but it opened my eyes when I seen referrals coming in to our team from people for binge drinking and I was reading them thinking "jesus........this is me".  Binge drinking is taken pretty seriously because of the short term effects; blackouts, alcohol poisoning, fighting etc.  People just don't think of it being as bad as long-term drinking as they're not doing it every day. 

On 22/08/2020 at 17:28, Morgan said:

Not sure if there is such a thing as an addictive personality.  I say there is, my wife says there isn’t.

No such thing as an addictive personality.  Your better half is right. Just an excuse for having no will power.

Edited by Marvin

wentworth jambo
On 22/08/2020 at 18:09, Lord BJ said:

I’m probably the poster boy for addictive behaviour. I’m all or nothing type person.

My only saving grace, I’m shit feared of needles. Saved me a few quid and a number of stints in rehab.

Not addictive like you BJ - can take or leave most things and have at some point but I definitely share the needle phobia - can’t even watch someone else get an injection.

On 23/08/2020 at 16:26, Morgan said:

I had a double take at that bit.  ^^^^^

Then, I realised that you had indeed spelt ‘walking’ correctly.

:biggrin:

:rofl:

On 23/08/2020 at 18:55, Locky said:

Definitely agree with you Morgan. I don't want to stop once I've got a taste for the bevvy. Saying that, I can sometimes go weeks without a drink, but my biggest thing in my social life is drinking, so hard to stay away or say no. I tend to smoke and even dabble in white powder when I'm drinking too. More and more these days it feels, and I hate myself for it. The class A part stems purely from like minded mates who like it. I tend to just go along with it, but it's that lack of willpower that I detest. Was out all weekend last week, plenty of bevvy had which was great, but stupdily dabbled too much on the powder, came home at 6am Sunday morning, and 3am Monday morning. Felt brutal for about 3-4 days after.

My big addiction is spending money. I very seldom have much to burn, that when I do have some money, I tend to burn it as quick as I can. Be it betting, drinking or buying takeaways or clothes etc. I just can't stop spending money when I have it, then bleat about how skint I am after. I know it's the spending money part, because when I'm skint, betting never crosses my mind, and neither does drinking unless it's being offered to go out with mates when I can't afford it. 

I don't think you're alone by any means and I think it's actually got worse for many people during lockdown with people being bored at home. The thing is, the way the economy is nowadays it basically relies on us all being encouraged to spend spend spend. Credit is so easy to access for many people nowadays and with interest rates at virtually zero, there is absolutely no incentive to save - in fact when you take inflation into account ,if you're saving money your actually losing money.

In terms of the OP's question there's no doubt that some people are much more susceptible to addiction than others and the consequences can be devastating. The thing is, a person can be rich, intelligent, talented, good-looking, charismatic etc. but all of those things can be trumped by a serious addiction.

12 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I don't think you're alone by any means and I think it's actually got worse for many people during lockdown with people being bored at home. The thing is, the way the economy is nowadays it basically relies on us all being encouraged to spend spend spend. Credit is so easy to access for many people nowadays and with interest rates at virtually zero, there is absolutely no incentive to save - in fact when you take inflation into account ,if you're saving money your actually losing money.

In terms of the OP's question there's no doubt that some people are much more susceptible to addiction than others and the consequences can be devastating. The thing is, a person can be rich, intelligent, talented, good-looking, charismatic etc. but all of those things can be trumped by a serious addiction.

You're not wrong. Worse yet, it's already hard enough to save money. I've been trying to save up to buy a place for 4 years, and so far my life savings are literally zero. I've had to dip into the savings so much, that I've honestly got nothing. Once I've paid my rent and bills, I've got about £200 disposable a month if I'm lucky. Which sounds decent on the face of things, but you want to buy a new pair of trainers, and get a night out with your mates, then it's almost gone.

16 minutes ago, stirlo said:

IThe thing is, a person can be intelligent, talented, good-looking, charismatic etc. but all of those things can be trumped by a serious addiction.

It's tough I admit.

On 24/08/2020 at 09:22, Salad Fingers said:

Refreshingly honest mate and well done for getting to where you are today.  I work in addictions and your story is similar to a lot of people who attend our service.  You find that a lot of people who are involved in heroin started through trying to blot out a significant traumatic event.  

We're all guilty at times of saying "aw those bloody junkies, no one but themselves to blame".  There may be some truth in that.  No one forces us to lift a pint to our lips, a toot to our nose or a needle to our arm.  But we rarely know the background to their lives and how they got to this point.  All manner of things including childhood sexual abuse or abuse in care.   

I have a female friend who is an alcoholic.  She is only 25.  Its so tragic. She wont admit she has an issue but seems to drink every day. I've never known anyone to drink like her.  I am shocked that a female can be like this ? She had a " good " upbringing , is intelligent but cant hold a job down due to the bevvy.  She just shrugs it off when sacked. Her mother is a heavy drinker too.  So its probably hereditary if people believe in the " disease" theory of addictions? I'm not so sure. It's painful to see as i don't feel it will end well. 

20 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

When it come to beer, I can do none but I can't do one.

One is too many and a thousand is not enough!

On 25/08/2020 at 15:31, Robbofan99 said:

I have a female friend who is an alcoholic.  She is only 25.  Its so tragic. She wont admit she has an issue but seems to drink every day. I've never known anyone to drink like her.  I am shocked that a female can be like this ? She had a " good " upbringing , is intelligent but cant hold a job down due to the bevvy.  She just shrugs it off when sacked. Her mother is a heavy drinker too.  So its probably hereditary if people believe in the " disease" theory of addictions? I'm not so sure. It's painful to see as i don't feel it will end well. 

My ex before she got imprisoned could drink. She'd easily down a bottle of wine in under an hour. I'd nag her about it but she'd shrug it off and blame it on having an addictive personality.

Her dad who I still get on well with was quite overprotective and say she's got an addictive personality which in some way would justify her drinking as much as she had been.