Addictions and having an addictive personality

Morgan

Not sure if there is such a thing as an addictive personality.  I say there is, my wife says there isn’t.

I get easily addicted/hooked on things, very quickly.

My three main ones are alcohol, very spicy food and ridiculous amounts of exercise.

Does anyone else become quickly, and fanatically, addicted to certain things?

doctor jambo

Yes . I do everything to excess .

I struggle with moderation in anything including work, spending, drinking , smoking and snacks.

Its why I steered away from drugs, no way I’d not be hooked.

Riddley Walker
12 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Yes . I do everything to excess .

I struggle with moderation in anything including work, spending, drinking , smoking and snacks.

Its why I steered away from drugs, no way I’d not be hooked.

Except 2 of the most harmful and addictive drugs in booze and fags? 

54 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Not sure if there is such a thing as an addictive personality.  I say there is, my wife says there isn’t.

I get easily addicted/hooked on things, very quickly.

My three main ones are alcohol, very spicy food and ridiculous amounts of exercise.

Does anyone else become quickly, and fanatically, addicted to certain things?

Do they change much mate and is alcohol a keeper.

I swop mines around but I've a few that are pretty constant with occasional breaks.

I've just accepted this and enjoy it to be honest.

As long as you dont fek right up some of what you fancy is good for your mental health.

43 minutes ago, jake said:

Do they change much mate and is alcohol a keeper.

I swop mines around but I've a few that are pretty constant with occasional breaks.

I've just accepted this and enjoy it to be honest.

As long as you dont fek right up some of what you fancy is good for your mental health.

Alcohol for years now, Jake.  Not ridiculous amounts by any means, perhaps so when I was much younger though!

Spicy food?  Many, many years.

Exercise?  The last 7 or 8 years.  In the last six months though, it’s got ridiculous, but still enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m probably the poster boy for addictive behaviour. I’m all or nothing type person.

My only saving grace, I’m shit feared of needles. Saved me a few quid and a number of stints in rehab.

‘All or nothing’ is a very good way to describe it.  👍

I'm going cold turkey til Christmas (Bevvy), when the gym reopens. 

Back to my addictive weight training mode. Hopefully.  

Hope  to be squatting and Dead lifting over 400lb before Xmas. Looking to get over 500 by spring. It's been 5 years since I've been intense. 

Looking forward to being addicted to the gym and chicken and broccoli. 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I'm going cold turkey til Christmas (Bevvy), when the gym reopens. 

Back to my addictive weight training mode. Hopefully.  

Hope  to be squatting and Dead lifting over 400lb before Xmas. Looking to get over 500 by spring. It's been 5 years since I've been intense. 

Looking forward to being addicted to the gym and chicken and broccoli. 

Winter is the hardest for it but having something to aim for should make it easier

6 minutes ago, Gone said:

Winter is the hardest for it but having something to aim for should make it easier

Winter darkness is the main problem for Scots. 

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m probably the poster boy for addictive behaviour. I’m all or nothing type person.

My only saving grace, I’m shit feared of needles. Saved me a few quid and a number of stints in rehab.

You can smoke it you know. 

:sadrobbo:

Mate of mine went full abstinence at the start of last year after 20+ years of a coke habit (45 now). Doing the steps he also had to stop everything which meant weed and bevy too and he’s handled it all fine. In the last six months he’s also quit the fags. The fascinating part for me is that he’s achieved the abstinence with the same determinism that was the driving force in his previous vices - going out for a few beers was never an option for him, that was just the catalyst for a full on drink and alcohol session. 

Its amazing what he’s done but it’s like his addictive personality is the thing which has ultimately driven his successful rehabilitation.

He’s addicted to being clean - if that makes sense.

Edited by GlasgoJambo

I smoke and drink to levels that my dentist said it was his duty to point out the dangers - I think meaning that if it was one or the other he’d let it pass but two together is a red flag.

Thing is, I personally feel my addiction to my phone is actually the most negative impact on my life on a day to day basis.

I wish I didn’t get addicted to things easily. One of the main reasons I’ve avoided drugs regardless of the situation - I just don’t trust myself 

1 minute ago, GlasgoJambo said:

I smoke and drink to levels that my dentist said it was his duty to point out the dangers - I think meaning that if it was one or the other he’d let it pass but two together is a red flag.

Thing is, I personally feel my addiction to my phone is actually the most negative impact on my life on a day to day basis.

Very interesting point you raise 

7 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Very interesting point you raise 

It’s brought home by the fact my four and a half year old son sees nothing unusual in the fact that we can be sitting having a perfectly normal conversation and there’s nothing strange in the fact I’m holding and keeping an eye on the little computer in my left hand while we chat.

It’s Sartre-esque levels of nausea if I think about how hideous that actually is.

Harry Potter
9 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Quavers for me.

You tend to have the occasional shandy 😏, as for me , love sausages, cant get enough.

3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

You tend to have the occasional shandy 😏, as for me , love sausages, cant get enough.

Can't get enough love sausages, Harry?

Sounds a bit :oohmatron:

:lol:

Edited by Boof
Adding smiley to indicate leg-pull

Governor Tarkin
11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Alcohol and female dentists.

😃

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

From Warwick?

She was a ****ing butcher.

Howked out most of my baby teeth for **** all.

Aye, I tend not to do things by halves either. Excessive boozing and otc opiod painkillers to ease the subsequent hangovers are the primary offenders atm. I need to make sure I have some sort of project on the go at all times and tend to get tunnel vision with those too. When I'm at sea I get addicted to the gym and treadmill. I come home from a trip looking and feeling phenomenal, but struggle to keep up the same intensity when real-life gets back in the way. 

I've never been remotely tempted to try heroin, meth, etc, as I know I'd be baw deep in no time. 

I can see the time coming when I ditch the grog altogether too, tbh.

30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Excessive boozing and otc opiod painkillers to ease the subsequent hangovers are the primary offenders atm.

I've never been remotely tempted to try heroin, meth, etc, as I know I'd be baw deep in no time. 

America has a massive health crisis now with all the folk getting hooked on opioid painkillers. Many of them end up on heroin.

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

She was a ****ing butcher.

Howked out most of my baby teeth for **** all.

Aye, I tend not to do things by halves either. Excessive boozing and otc opiod painkillers to ease the subsequent hangovers are the primary offenders atm. I need to make sure I have some sort of project on the go at all times and tend to get tunnel vision with those too. When I'm at sea I get addicted to the gym and treadmill. I come home from a trip looking and feeling phenomenal, but struggle to keep up the same intensity when real-life gets back in the way. 

I can see the time coming when I ditch the grog altogether too, tbh.

Great pair though.

Worth the pain.

Im not addicted to alcohol but im addicted to going to my local pub if that makes sense. I just enjoy being there, usually 5 pints max then I'm off home. I'll happy go down just me and the dog, he loves it too as he gets treated like a king.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Can't get enough love sausages, Harry?

Sounds a bit :oohmatron:

:lol:

Ha Ha  , i should read before i post,🙂.

Governor Tarkin
31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

America has a massive health crisis now with all the folk getting hooked on opioid painkillers. Many of them end up on heroin.

Aye it's oxycodone I think. Hillbilly heroin the American guys I work with call it. Not sure if it's available in the UK. 

I can see how it could become habit forming though. Works a treat at lifting a nasty hangover now that I can't have a sly puff.

I can go months without drinking but as soon as I start I keep going until I fall over. I'm not sure if that's classified as an addiction but, it's certainly a drinking problem.

I seem to have finally kicked my fizzy juice addiction. I used to consume around two litres a day but I think I've had less than ten bottles this year. I had a litre of Coke on my birthday and had a blinding headache afterwards. Not sure if there's a causal link between the Coke and my headache?

3 things I'm like this with, drinking, fags and blow. Not an alcie or junkie though. I can have 1 drink or get hammered, nothing in between. The same when I have a bit of blow (I only get a wee bit once a month). If I could trust myself to have some blow in the house and only touch it at weekends I would stop drinking altogether. 

For the fags, I can stop easily enough but when I have a drink, I'm back on them.

If blow was sold here like it is in holland, I would be able to just buy a gram on a Friday for the weekend.

JudyJudyJudy

Never really had addiction problems . I like going for a drink once a week , if at all . But when I’m out I’m out . I’ve never been able to just go for one drink . Never drink in the house either , unless going out later . I do like my food but try to keep an eye on my intake and it’s mainly healthy stuff . Can’t stand spicey food . I do like a smoke now and then . Never gambled but seem the devastation it causes to people . An ex was a compulsive gambler , sometimes betting online at 4 am in the morning or as soon as he woke up was right online betting on some obscure football match in South America or the like . It’s an insidious and invisible addiction which makes it even worse .  

Harry Potter
49 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

I can go months without drinking but as soon as I start I keep going until I fall over. I'm not sure if that's classified as an addiction but, it's certainly a drinking problem.

I seem to have finally kicked my fizzy juice addiction. I used to consume around two litres a day but I think I've had less than ten bottles this year. I had a litre of Coke on my birthday and had a blinding headache afterwards. Not sure if there's a causal link between the Coke and my headache?

If your falling over maybe 2 or 3 less might help, mind you i get greedy with drink, only 2 never happens , in saying that never had a drink since febuary, im better off it.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Hot curries, chillis, walking the dogs.

Oh and coffee.

I had a double take at that bit.  ^^^^^

Then, I realised that you had indeed spelt ‘walking’ correctly.

:biggrin:

5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Great pair though.

They could have taken your eye out, never mind your teeth.

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aye it's oxycodone I think. Hillbilly heroin the American guys I work with call it. Not sure if it's available in the UK. 

I can see how it could become habit forming though. Works a treat at lifting a nasty hangover now that I can't have a sly puff.

There's a good docu-series on Netlfix about it called "The Pharmacist". Louis Theroux also did a programme on it. It's shocking how readily it's dished out by doctors in the States.

I'm a recovering addict. 

I used to do amphetamines through to zoplicone and everything in between. 

Main vices were cocaine and mdma until I ordered oxycodone off the dark Web. This spiralled to heroin. 

I'm clean and sober now. 

I never touched drugs until I had a child with a disability and lost my brother to suicide within a few weeks. Escalated from a line in the toilet from a mate to be totally truthful. 

12 stepped it but that in itself is hard when you don't believe in God. 

Wouldn't say I have an addictive personality but circumstances and weakness led me to that path. 

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

If your falling over maybe 2 or 3 less might help, mind you i get greedy with drink, only 2 never happens , in saying that never had a drink since febuary, I’m better off it.

You’re more boring now though, Harold!

Only kidding.  :wink: 

5 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

I'm a recovering addict. 

Main vices were cocaine and mdma until I ordered oxycodone off the dark Web. This spiralled to heroin. 

I'm clean and sober now. 

I never touched drugs until I had a child with a disability and lost my brother to suicide within a few weeks. Escalated from a line in the toilet from a mate to be totally truthful. 

Wouldn't say I have an addictive personality but circumstances and weakness led me to that path. 

Great to hear you're clean now, all the best in future.

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

If your falling over maybe 2 or 3 less might help, mind you i get greedy with drink, only 2 never happens , in saying that never had a drink since febuary, im better off it.

The moderators are grateful - kidding. 😄

generally only drink Thursday, friday and saturday but once I’ve had a couple I don’t like to stop. 

I knew a lad from the mid 1980's who had jumped, and continued to do so, from one vice to another. 

Smack before I knew him, alcohol when I met him, mind altering stuff (hash, LSD...) after that then lost touch with him. 

Highly intelligent, perfectly affable, never out of work but just could not stand reality. 

Died about a decade ago, aged 51. No great surprise when I heard of it but very sad, nonetheless. Left behind a wife/partner and a teenage daughter. 

Morgan 1 Morgan's wife 0, I'd say. 

Although if she's anything like mine it's a mere consolation goal at the end of a heavy defeat. 

Definitely agree with you Morgan. I don't want to stop once I've got a taste for the bevvy. Saying that, I can sometimes go weeks without a drink, but my biggest thing in my social life is drinking, so hard to stay away or say no. I tend to smoke and even dabble in white powder when I'm drinking too. More and more these days it feels, and I hate myself for it. The class A part stems purely from like minded mates who like it. I tend to just go along with it, but it's that lack of willpower that I detest. Was out all weekend last week, plenty of bevvy had which was great, but stupdily dabbled too much on the powder, came home at 6am Sunday morning, and 3am Monday morning. Felt brutal for about 3-4 days after.

My big addiction is spending money. I very seldom have much to burn, that when I do have some money, I tend to burn it as quick as I can. Be it betting, drinking or buying takeaways or clothes etc. I just can't stop spending money when I have it, then bleat about how skint I am after. I know it's the spending money part, because when I'm skint, betting never crosses my mind, and neither does drinking unless it's being offered to go out with mates when I can't afford it. 

1 hour ago, martoon said:

I knew a lad from the mid 1980's who had jumped, and continued to do so, from one vice to another. 

Smack before I knew him, alcohol when I met him, mind altering stuff (hash, LSD...) after that then lost touch with him. 

Highly intelligent, perfectly affable, never out of work but just could not stand reality. 

Died about a decade ago, aged 51. No great surprise when I heard of it but very sad, nonetheless. Left behind a wife/partner and a teenage daughter. 

Morgan 1 Morgan's wife 0, I'd say. 

Although if she's anything like mine it's a mere consolation goal at the end of a heavy defeat. 

Morgan 1 Morgan’s wife 0.

:sweeet:

My addiction is Online dating sites - even when I was married. Just chatting and trying to bed the occasional lady but it was becoming all consuming - 3 or 4 sites. Chatting intensely to half a dozen girls and then ultimately meeting up with them. The minute I met someone I moved on to the next and the next..... I met and lost some great girls due to this. 

Sounds like a dream but it affected my mental health - the constant need for attention and some kind of affection that ultimately I pushed away. 

Got way worse now that I’m single - I was in all kind of sites. Dating, friends, sex sites.... spent hours just watching and watching them chatting online to then texting and then 💥.

However I didn’t notice but during lockdown the weight fell off me. I started running after many years away to hip resurfacing. I’ve now found another addiction - that and hillwalking.

Ive deleted all accounts but you will laugh but I struggle to stay away. It’s highly addictive. The need to feel the rush of meeting someone and then taking it to the next level when you are living a lie. 

I’ve been 8 days off the sites and It’s now dawned on me that I actually detested them 😐. It was the instant gratification that I sought. 

Edited by PTBCAL

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, BudgeUp said:

I'm a recovering addict. 

I'm clean and sober now. 

Best wishes for the future