Any Sympathy for her views?

jake

AlphonseCapone

Emotionally, absolutely not. 

Legally, I've no idea about English law but presume the judge was within his rights or he wouldn't have sentenced him to it. 

Overall, lock up him up for the longest possible time legally and if that's forever then good. 

Governor Tarkin

I'm sure there are many of us who posess the moral flexibility required to pull the trigger on the **** ourselves with barely a second thought, but the lassie might have a point.

The line between justice, punishment, and retribution is blurred, so there's no harm in any objective scrutiny that her questions may encourage.

He who fights monsters...

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Judges are given the power to determine a range of punishments and length of any jail terms specifically so that they can hand down each sentence on a case by case basis.

Since no two cases are ever the same, no two punishments are ever the same.

Sometimes people think a sentence is overly harsh and others are seen as unduly lenient.

This is both a strength and a weakness of our legal system. The ability for punishments to be altered to fit each case is a strength.

But it's a weakness to rely on the opinions of a single human being to pass judgement and this sometimes results in either overly harsh or very light sentences.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Here's a textbook example of mental internet behaviour. A clip is posted with not a lot of context. None of us know who the woman, who she represents, or what position she's advocating overall. Eight posts in and we're already getting close to criticising "the left". Another few posts and we'll be back and forth culture warring. All from a tiny snippet of a video none of us know anything about. 

Riddley Walker

76 before he's due for parole. Way worse than a death sentence. Shame. 

The woman is so far off with her point. The UK in general is relatively lenient with sentencing, although Scotland is considerably more lenient than England and Wales. 

Weakened Offender
26 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Here's a textbook example of mental internet behaviour. A clip is posted with not a lot of context. None of us know who the woman, who she represents, or what position she's advocating overall. Eight posts in and we're already getting close to criticising "the left". Another few posts and we'll be back and forth culture warring. All from a tiny snippet of a video none of us know anything about. 

Perfect. 

As Louis CK said....

The law against murder is the number one thing preventing murder.

Never understood how premeditated murder can mean 10-15 years. Take a life then your access to your own one should be taken too imho. Here's 4 walls and a toilet. They're yours until you die.

The Internet
17 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

:spoton:

Francis Albert
18 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

There is enough context in the clip to answer the OP's question. For me the answer is No. 

He won't serve 55 years. He will be out in plenty of time to enjoy decades more life than most of those murdered had.

If you want balanced, in depth and reasoned discussion then the internet is probably something to be avoided.

Edited by Francis Albert

Riddley Walker
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

There is enough context in the clip to answer the OP's question. For me the answer is No. 

He won't serve 55 years. He will be out in plenty of time to enjoy decades more life than most of those murdered had.

If you want balanced, in depth and reasoned discussion then the internet is probably something to be avoided.

No, he will serve 55 years minimum. He's received a life sentence and 55 years is the earliest he will receive parole. Those on life sentences don't get out a day before their tariff, and usually stay in quite a bit longer, if not forever. Life sentences fit a  different sentencing structure than other criminal sentences. 

Francis Albert
27 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

No, he will serve 55 years minimum. He's received a life sentence and 55 years is the earliest he will receive parole. Those on life sentences don't get out a day before their tariff, and usually stay in quite a bit longer, if not forever. Life sentences fit a  different sentencing structure than other criminal sentences. 

Thanks for the correction. That is comforting. Although a lot can change in 55 years.

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Muslims will have probably taken over by then and let him out early eh. 

The race card was bound to be played.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Francis not being able to understand what a minimum sentence is has made my morning.

Sorry to hear that is the highlight of your morning. Hope the rest of your day picks up.

JudyJudyJudy

Yes he deserves that long sentence and will serve it unless he dies before that time . I can’t see anyone disagreeing with that

Jamstomorrow

If he was executed he would be seen as a martyr.  He then becomes entitled to his dozens of virgins in heaven.   Time he gets out of jail now, I imagine 1 virgin would likely to be remaining so!  

On the other hand,the price of a rope would be much, much less than the cost of keeping him in jail.

49 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry to hear that is the highlight of your morning. Hope the rest of your day picks up.

I got to bed at half 3 and I'm only just out it.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Francis not being able to understand what a minimum sentence is has made my morning.

LOL.

He gets corrected and then has the bad grace to suggest he might still be right cos , y'know, 55 years is a long time.

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

LOL.

He gets corrected and then has the bad grace to suggest he might still be right cos , y'know, 55 years is a long time.

I thanked the poster who corrected me. What should I do to atone ? ... get out the ritual disembowelling sword?.

Tell you what I will bet any amount you want he won't serve 55 years!

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I thanked the poster who corrected me. What should I do to atone ? ... get out the ritual disembowelling sword?.

How will you know? 

Walter Payton
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Only because you won't be around in 55 years to pay out when you're proven wrong. He'll serve 55 years if he doesn't die first. 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Bring on the Future said:

Only because you won't be around in 55 years to pay out when you're proven wrong. He'll serve 55 years if he doesn't die first. 

You worked that out all by yourself?

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

How will you know? 

Of course I won't. It is the sort of bet I like!

Edited by Francis Albert

Walter Payton
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

You worked that out all by yourself?

I considered whether you were intelligent enough to be making a subtle joke, then I remembered you didn't understand the "minimum" part of minimum sentence.  

Just now, Bring on the Future said:

I considered whether you were intelligent enough to be making a subtle joke, then I remembered you didn't understand the "minimum" part of minimum sentence.  

I suppose the "minimum sentence" will be open to an appeal?

Riddley Walker
13 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Like everyone else he'll be entitled to appeal, yes. Think it's unlikely it would ever be succesful. The only reason he wasn't given a whole life tariff is because he was under 21 when he did it. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I misunderstood the difference between recommended minimum term and statutary minimum term before parole is possible. Mea culpa once again.

But the new law in this respect is relatively new.  Less than 20 years I think. My later point about 55 years being a long time was not about the Muslim takeover as someone suggested. In 55 years the law can and probably will change. Barely before he starts his sentence we already have human rights and civil liberties being cited to question the length of sentence. Can anyone really dismiss the possibility that a change in the law will release him before his term is up. There will be Lord Longford type figures claiming he has reformed, found God or  a more moderate Allah. I am not even saying that that would be wrong. I don't know why and how he got to where he is.

But for the time being and given the current laws 55 years does not seem unreasonable for the crime committed.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I misunderstood the difference between recommended minimum term and statutary minimum term before parole is possible. Mea culpa once again.

But the new law in this respect is relatively new.  Less than 20 years I think. My later point about 55 years being a long time was not about the Muslim takeover as someone suggested. In 55 years the law can and probably will change. Barely before he starts his sentence we already have human rights and civil liberties being cited to question the length of sentence. Can anyone really dismiss the possibility that a change in the law will release him before his term is up. There will be Lord Longford type figures claiming he has reformed, found God or  a more moderate Allah. I am not even saying that that would be wrong. I don't know why and how he got to where he is.

But for the time being and given the current laws 55 years does not seem unreasonable for the crime committed.

I agree with you about the law possibly changing, that could easily happen, as could a lawyer taking on the appeal, I hope he serves the full sentence but I can circumstances changing so he doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I agree with you about the law possibly changing, that could easily happen, as could a lawyer taking on the appeal, I hope he serves the full sentence but I can circumstances changing so he doesn't. 

He is the type of murdering scum that politicians will never allow to be released due to the nature of the crime he helped commit.  While under 21, he is classed in the same bracket as Sutcliffe and the Moors Murderers.

If there were ever attempts to change the law to release the likes of him I think the public would find it unacceptable and parliament would reject it.

I guess the real question is will he survive in prison long enough to meet any possible release date?

Edited by frankblack

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

If there were ever attempts to change the law to release the likes of him I think the public would find it unacceptable and parliament would reject it.

I hooe you're right, I'd not bet on it is all I'm saying.

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I hooe you're right, I'd not bet on it is all I'm saying.

In a post-EU world that type of reform has zero chance with a Tory government.

SpruceBringsteen

This the boy that was trained by the same ISIS soldiers the UK government merrily used to overthrow Gaddafi because they can't keep their snout of the business of other countries, aye?

I mean, I couldn't care less if he never sees the light of day ever again but I feel like there's far more culpable folk being let off the hook here.

Francis Albert
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

In a post-EU world that type of reform has zero chance with a Tory government.

You think we will have Tory government for the next 55 years? God (or Allah) help.us!

Francis Albert

The majority of the public opposed the end of capital punishment but it happened ... rightly IMO.

Meant to quote frankblack on that where he said the public would oppose and stop any change in the law to commute the 55 year sentence.

Edited by Francis Albert

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

You think we will have Tory government for the next 55 years? God (or Allah) help.us!

You have a 50/50 chance of one being in power whenever such a reform is attempted, and even if one is successful under Labour it might be overturned by the next government.

Francis Albert
32 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You have a 50/50 chance of one being in power whenever such a reform is attempted, and even if one is successful under Labour it might be overturned by the next government.

Maybe but abolition of hanging and the many other liberal or progressive changes of the Labour government (on homosexuality and race relations and others) of the sixties survived many subsequent Tory governments. Despite Tory voters opinions on those issues.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Maybe but abolition of hanging and the many other liberal or progressive changes of the Labour government (on homosexuality and race relations and others) of the sixties survived many subsequent Tory governments. Despite Tory voters opinions on those issues.

Oh please.  You can't seriously be comparing sentencing terms of mass murderers to the abolishment of capital punishment?

Francis Albert
20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Oh please.  You can't seriously be comparing sentencing terms of mass murderers to the abolishment of capital punishment?

As precedents for laws that pass and survive and are not supported by the general public yes.

In fact I doubt most Labour supporters let alone Tory supporters approved of the changes on social issues in the sixties  on the things I mentioned.

Riddley Walker
15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As precedents for laws that pass and survive and are not supported by the general public yes.

In fact I doubt most Labour supporters let alone Tory supporters approved of the changes on social issues in the sixties  on the things I mentioned.

There will be no laws passed in the next 55 years that ensure the release of mass murderers from prison earlier than they should be. 

Imagine a govt signing off the release of Tobin and Sutcliffe and this boy into witness protection...Time to stop digging.