Video of Tynecastle in 1936

Ecce Romanov

ToadKiller Dog

Enjoyed the video ,when did the police stop wearing dummy tit hats in scotland ?.

Interesting looking at season 36-37 ,bigger crowds at home in the league to celtic and rangers than away in Glasgow according to wiki .

40,000 + at home to the orcs ,5000 at home when we played Clyde  

Right fussy support .

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

3:30 is Murrayfield and definitely not Tynecastle for the football.

It’s tynecastle 

Ecce Romanov
1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

3:30 is Murrayfield and definitely not Tynecastle for the football.

Sorry, meant to type 4.30 🙄

Jingle Bells

We had a great team in the 1930's according to my Late Grandad, with six or seven current internationals playing in the team, but lost to many games to late goals.

Later transpired that the Hearts Trainers, of the time,  did not employ the then modern training methods and therefore most of the other Teams were much fitter.

2 hours ago, Ecce Romanov said:

Starts at 3:30. Looks like we were playing Celtic

Wow that’s fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

This is the Edinburgh that my father lived in as a teenager. Churchill Place then Montpelier Park. It was from Montpelier Park I walked to my first Hearts game from my grandpas flat! My father (as a school boy) played golf at the Braid Hills, on holidays always 3 rounds and on the odd occasion 4 rounds in a day!! Our family still reminisces about these days and funeral receptions seem to be always held at the Braid Hills Hotel!

And oddly 40 years later in my teenage / young man years Edinburgh had not changed much so it’s all very familiar!

If only Edinburgh houses were not so expensive I’d move back!

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, underwaterwoodwelder said:

They should have just kept the trams it would have saved a fortune.

council with no forward planning.

18 minutes ago, Westcliff said:

The link to the video has gone (well I can't see it). Can someone please repost the link?  Thanks.

13 hours ago, Ecce Romanov said:

The quote should show you it :)

rudeskaboyuk

Typical Hearts. Backs against the wall against Celtic. 

Great footage though. 

Love all this stuff. 

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

The quote should show you it :)

Thanks.  It just didn't work for me in Firefox; using Chrome it was fine.  Great film, thanks for posting Ecce Romanov.

Seaside jambo

Brilliant video , was born and grew up a stones throw from the open air pool .

My memory of the pool, it was always busy but cold and there was a right buzz when the waves were on and a massive clamour for the raft 

great time 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Love this sort of stuff. 

Bit of a mind bender,  but wonder who I would have been,  through different eras, would I have been any different. 

Think I would have enjoyed the simpler life 

SectionDJambo

Not a surprise, from those pictures, that Edinburgh was known as Auld Reekie. Seeing cars parked on Princes Street was something I'd forgotten about. 

Hearts must have done work to the tunnel, maybe either side of the war. We never had those steps up to pitch level when my visits started in the 60s.

It is to the credit of all who made it happen, that we never relocated to another ground. Tynecastle Park is where Hearts belong.

What... No hibs? 😂😂 Great video and so strange him videoing the war memorial and wouldn't have known at the time they were only 3 years away or so from another one. The clothes, the cars, the trams and the newspaper headline about someone killed testing a plane 😱 take so much for granted these days it's easy to forget how far we have moved on in a relatively short time (in the grand scheme)

I found this clip on YouTube a couple of years ago. Really interesting to see Edinburgh in the 30s. It's noticeable how slim everyone seems to be. Really interesting to see Tynecastle. Does anyone know what is the oldest film of the Hearts at Tynecastle?

Preston Jambo
44 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I found this clip on YouTube a couple of years ago. Really interesting to see Edinburgh in the 30s. It's noticeable how slim everyone seems to be. Really interesting to see Tynecastle. Does anyone know what is the oldest film of the Hearts at Tynecastle?

There's footage of a Scotland V Wales game at Tynecastle in the 1920s I think.

Features the old Iron Stand. Might  by on British Pathe.

jamboinglasgow
On 18/08/2020 at 22:03, Jingle Bells said:

We had a great team in the 1930's according to my Late Grandad, with six or seven current internationals playing in the team, but lost to many games to late goals.

Later transpired that the Hearts Trainers, of the time,  did not employ the then modern training methods and therefore most of the other Teams were much fitter.

I remember one of the London Hearts people (I think) saying on here that in the later 30s were one of most supported clubs in Scotland possibly rivaling the old firm in crowd numbers and there was a belief that if we just won the league we could have really kicked on in size but the league title just never happened.

There was also plans put up here that the club wanted to build a new stadium at Saughton because of the popularity but WW2 put the end to that.

John Findlay
9 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I remember one of the London Hearts people (I think) saying on here that in the later 30s were one of most supported clubs in Scotland possibly rivaling the old firm in crowd numbers and there was a belief that if we just won the league we could have really kicked on in size but the league title just never happened.

There was also plans put up here that the club wanted to build a new stadium at Saughton because of the popularity but WW2 put the end to that.

I believe we were offered the chance of Murrayfield in the 1930s

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I remember reading in ‘The roar of the crowd’ that we’re the only club other than the OF who have recorded the highest average attendance over a season. 

You’re correct on the new stadium (might have been sighthill from memory). It was to hold 100,000. 

found the thread with the plans, you are right that it is Sighthill

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I believe we were offered the chance of Murrayfield in the 1930s

My old man used to talk of a perceived curse on Hearts when they played at home on the same day as an international rugby match at Murrayfield.

It was said that because we turned down the chance to move to Murrayfield, we never won at Tynecastle on the same day as a rugby international match there.

I have no idea of the actual statistics.

Ecce Romanov
5 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

My old man used to talk of a perceived curse on Hearts when they played at home on the same day as an international rugby match at Murrayfield.

It was said that because we turned down the chance to move to Murrayfield, we never won at Tynecastle on the same day as a rugby international match there.

Not sure of a curse, but I have noticed that it is very rare for the scotland rugby team and Hearts to win on the same day.

ps Glad so many have liked the video. Just came across it by chance on the Lost Edinburgh Facebook page

Jingle Bells
On 20/08/2020 at 21:55, jamboinglasgow said:

The 1930's Teams playing style was quite similar to our recent Championship winning side, according to another Late elderly relative, however obviously they were much better at it , until they ran out of puff.

Shanks said no

Noticed this for sale in an auction down south, some pretty famous players 

MILITARY / HEARTS Four page programme at Tynecastle ( Heart of Midlothian ) British Army v RAF 1/4/1944.

Players included Swift, Doherty ( Man City ), Drake, L Compton, Scott ( Arsenal ), Matthews, Soo ( Stoke ), Hardwick ( Middlesbrough ), Rowley ( Manchester United ) Mercer, Lawton ( Everton ), Cullis and Taylor ( Wolves ) and Ditchburn and Burgess (Tottenham). 

Auction is on 4th September

Harry Potter
On 18/08/2020 at 19:36, Ecce Romanov said:

Great film and thanks for that, players a lot faster and fitter back then😀.

22 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

We did beat Cowdenbeath by a rugby score when the dark blues were playing at Murrayfield.😃

On 20/08/2020 at 21:41, Preston Jambo said:

There's footage of a Scotland V Wales game at Tynecastle in the 1920s I think.

Features the old Iron Stand. Might  by on British Pathe.

This has to be found.

Great film!

Especially at the opening scenes, you can see why it was called “Auld Reekie”.

(I don’t remember the station at the West End but I notice here they called it ‘Caledonian Station’.  I know it was the Caledonian Railway - hence the hotel - but it was called Princes Street Station.  What did people call it everyday?)