Tom forsyth died...

Hectormasson

Hectormasson

ex hearts coach and former rangers player has died at 71 years of age....

Edited by Hectormasson
missed a letter

Another legend from my youth passes.

Some player, was "Jaws".

I can still remember  the 1971 ECWC semi final when he feigned injury to dodge a red card after absolutely crippling a Bayern player and the ref fell for it.

RIP Tom. Hard player when players were allowed to tackle

Made one of the best tackles I've ever seen in the Scotland v England game in the mid 70s

Old Pivotonian
Just now, Musemic said:

Made one of the best tackles I've ever seen in the Scotland v England game in the mid 70s

Remember it well.  Great tackle. Beautifully timed.    An example of why tackles from  behind can still be perfectly legal.

Hectormasson
1 minute ago, Musemic said:

That was a brilliant tackle, got scotland their win as channon looked certain to score.....

56 minutes ago, Old Pivotonian said:

Go to 07.45.   

Great memories! I was at that game behind the goal right behind and in line with the Dalgleish/ Clemence through the legs goal 

57 minutes ago, been here before said:

No one thinking of or sending thoughts and/or prayers to family and / or friends?

All I will say it's sad when another of my generation of players passes on. 

I remember TF as a good honest professional. 

RIP Jaws. 

John Findlay
10 hours ago, Musemic said:

It was 1976 at Hampden. Scotland leading 2-1, the famous Kenny Dalglish through Ray Clemence legs game.

Near the end of the game Mick Channon is through on goal and everyone is expecting him to make it 2-2 When Jaws Forsyth times his tackle beautifully and wins the ball fair and square. Tackling an art form Fifa want to take from the game.

Watch the Brazil v England World Cup game from 1970. Forget the Pele header and banks save. Watch how Bobby Moore tackles Pele fairly to win the ball.

It is a masterclass in the timing of the tackle.

RIP big Tam.

Edited by John Findlay

Guess The Crowd
11 hours ago, Old Pivotonian said:

Go to 07.45.   

An iconic tackle, if there's such a thing. Remember it like it was yesterday.

My late father who was a Hibby and also a very good bowler. He played at Pilrig BC and Milton Street indoors. He is the only man I knew who hated Rangers and Celtic more than I do, One evening he came home and said he had been playing against Tom Forsyth and ( I think ) Colin Jackson at Milton Street. When I asked what they were like, he said both of them were absolute gentlemen and nothing like what he expected. He actually looked forward to playing them again, which he did.

Just shows what a good team we had in the mid seventies - really should have done a lot better in Argentina with players of the quality of Masson, Dalgleish, Rioch, Gemmill and Jordan.

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It was 1976 at Hampden. Scotland leading 2-1, the famous Kenny Dalglish through Ray Clemence legs game.

Near the end of the game Mick Channon is through on goal and everyone is expecting him to make it 2-2 When Jaws Forsyth times his tackle beautifully and wins the ball fair and square. Tackling an art form Fifa want to take from the game.

Watch the Brazil v England World Cup game from 1970. Forget the Pele header and banks save. Watch how Bobby Moore tackles Pele fairly to win the ball.

RIP big Tam.

It was a moment that is well remembered by those of us around then.

The crowd went quiet for a second or two, fully expecting the equaliser. Forsyth was so quick to realise the danger and deal with it, without any panic that could have risked a penalty.

I saw Bobby Moore play against us, for Fulham. Even though he was in the twighlight of his career, his class was obvious. Brilliant anticipation and calm throughout.

Perth to Paisley
15 hours ago, Old Pivotonian said:

Go to 07.45.   

In 1976 i was in 6th year at Liberton High and we shared a bus with St Augustines to this game.

We got tickets to the school boy enclosure - from memory this full of under-agers with a bag of cans.

In our group was a future player _ he played for amongst others Hearts  Chelsea, Dundee Utd and Scotland)

Many moons ago now.

John Findlay
26 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

In 1976 i was in 6th year at Liberton High and we shared a bus with St Augustines to this game.

We got tickets to the school boy enclosure - from memory this full of under-agers with a bag of cans.

In our group was a future player _ he played for amongst others Hearts  Chelsea, Dundee Utd and Scotland)

Many moons ago now.

One Eammon Bannon.

Robbo tells a good story about Tam during his “this is your life” gig.  Apparently he was taking the youngsters for training one day and asked Derek Holmes and a couple of others to fetch all the balls back.  He told them there was 15 of them and he was expecting them all to be brought back.  They bring back 14 balls and Tam’s going daft telling them to get back into the bushes and trees to find the 15th ball.  Derek Holmes turns round to Tam and says “what about the baw under your arm?” 😂

RIP Jaws 

4 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Robbo tells a good story about Tam during his “this is your life” gig.  Apparently he was taking the youngsters for training one day and asked Derek Holmes and a couple of others to fetch all the balls back.  He told them there was 15 of them and he was expecting them all to be brought back.  They bring back 14 balls and Tam’s going daft telling them to get back into the bushes and trees to find the 15th ball.  Derek Holmes turns round to Tam and says “what about the baw under your arm?” 😂

RIP Jaws 

19 and 20 but same story haha RIP TAM 

Nucky Thompson
20 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Great memories! I was at that game behind the goal right behind and in line with the Dalgleish/ Clemence through the legs goal 

Christ. How good was the Scotland team then?

RIP Tam

8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Christ. How good was the Scotland team then?

RIP Tam

World beaters the world cup came two years to late we might have even scraped it in 77.Brian Clough apparently said when we set of for Argentina  in 78 the finest group of players ever to leave the British Isles.We should have offered the job to Clough and am no slagging Ally because i loved all the hype but he might  have taken it just to fek off the English blazers could you imagine what he could have done with that group of players  then again the Scottish blazers couldn't have handled him either.

I think he served me once in a pub he owned in Hamilton.  Might be mistaken though.  If it was him he came across very well.

Taken too young.

Doctor FinnBarr
30 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Superb nickname for a player. 

RIP.

Tam Forsyth, he's called Jaws, he's got Channon by the baws

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Tam Forsyth, he's called Jaws, he's got Channon by the baws

Magic 👍

aberhill jambo
On 14/08/2020 at 23:30, Jambo-Fox said:

Yip was also at the game.

We got beat in the Cup final the week before 3-1 Rangers was at the game 

Bayern Munich European cup final Was also at Hampden that week

7 minutes ago, aberhill jambo said:

Yip was also at the game.

We got beat in the Cup final the week before 3-1 Rangers was at the game 

Bayern Munich European cup final Was also at Hampden that week

Rolling Stones concert the same night as the Bayern Munich game - pubs had their licensing hours extended .......

SwindonJambo
On 15/08/2020 at 09:21, John Findlay said:

RIP big Tam.

Bobby Moore was a brilliant tackler. At the end of that game, Pele went to look for Moore to shake hands and swap shirts. There's a great photo of it somewhere. 

Big Tam's tackle was right up there though. You can well imagine one of our delightful refs giving a pen for a tackle like that, unless they played for the OF.