• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• Francis Albert

• Bazzas right boot

13 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ibrox has somthing about it Tbh. 

Like old and traditional, but big and new as well. 

“For it is old and it is beautiful.....”

12 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Yeah, it showed. Can never get my head around how people felt so much affection for it. I’ve sat and stood in every single part of the ground since 1986. Until the new stand was built when I shifted over to it, I was most recently in the Wheatfield for about a decade. I used to look over at the “old lady” and dream about it being torn down and replaced with something that completes the stadium. Something the same height for starters

Dreams do come true...... 

20 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

I know this will be very controversial, but I think the old stand looked shit. Looked like the exterior of a warehouse. I feel absolutely no loss now that it’s gone. As far as AL designs went, it was clearly in the cheaper end of the market. 

Wouldn't say its controversial at all. The stand lacked any sort of unique characteristics or design, as you say very warehouse like. I was hoping an older photo might show something which was there at some point but gotten rid of for whatever reason, but it would appear not. 

Yes it was full of history, but it never looked like it was built with history in mind. 

11 minutes ago, OTT said:

Wouldn't say its controversial at all. The stand lacked any sort of unique characteristics or design, as you say very warehouse like. I was hoping an older photo might show something which was there at some point but gotten rid of for whatever reason, but it would appear not. 

Yes it was full of history, but it never looked like it was built with history in mind. 

Think I did see one like that once. I’ll have a wee look. 👍

38 minutes ago, OTT said:

From the back it looked entirely underwhelming.  From the pitch, it looked OK but nothing special.

Vastly superior to anything Hibs had is it's singe merit.

Francis Albert

First off apart from an obviously tongue in cheek comment about a 70's office building I have posted nothing derogatory here about the new stand. Although if it were not for the signage It would not be recognisable from the street as a football stand but any fan of Archibald would have recognised the old stand as a football stand.

And the first thing I said on the thread was that the old stand had to be replaced.

But we should not judge it by today's standards. The dressing rooms may have looked primitive today (despite some improvements over the years) but when footballers spent the morning 

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert

First off apart from an obviously tongue in cheek comment about a 70's office building I have posted nothing derogatory here about the new stand. Although if it were not for the signage It would not be recognisable from the street as a football stand but any fan of Archibald would have recognised the old stand as a football stand.

And the first thing I said on the thread was that the old stand had to be replaced.

But we should not judge it by today's standards. The dressing rooms may have looked primitive today (despite some improvements over the years) but when footballers spent the morning shift down the pit before training or the game itself and lived in houses that didn't have a bath or inside toilet they were luxurious.

Even as late as over 50 years ago I remember reading in  the programme for a cup tie at Montrose the old stand described as "still imposing" which it was if you were used to most other grounds in Scotland.

Gone now but for some of us more than half the age of the old stand not forgotten and remembered with some affection.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert

But we should not judge it by today's standards. The dressing rooms may have looked primitive today (despite some improvements over the years) but when footballers spent the morning shift down the pit before training or the game itself and lived in houses that didn't have a bath or inside toilet they were luxurious.

Even as late as over 50 years ago I remember reading in  the programme for a cup tie at Montrose the old stand described as "still imposing" which it was if you were used to most other grounds in Scotland.

Gone now but for some of us more than half the age of the old stand not forgotten and remembered with some are tion.

Edited by Francis Albert
Multipleposr

Franny... it looked like a warehouse, mate. Doesn’t matter how much you try and shine a flattering light on it, it was a very basic and nondescript red brick building that wouldn’t have looked out of place along the side of a dock. Thank god the ugly old girl has finally been laid to rest. 

Francis Albert
34 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Franny... it looked like a warehouse, mate. Doesn’t matter how much you try and shine a flattering light on it, it was a very basic and nondescript red brick building that wouldn’t have looked out of place along the side of a dock. Thank god the ugly old girl has finally been laid to rest. 

Unless you are very lucky (or maybe umlucky) you will be old and ugly one day. I don't really understand your contempt for a stand that served our club well for a century. Good we have replaced it but hopefully the new one will be replaced too and  maybe in less than a century.

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Unless you are very lucky (or maybe umlucky) you will be old and ugly one day. I don't really understand your contempt for a stand that served our club well for a century. Good we have replaced it but hopefully the new one will be replaced too and  maybe in less than a century.

What would you like the new stand to be replaced with? 🤔

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No contempt for it, it served a purpose. It was however a cheap and functional red brick building that resembled a dilapidated warehouse. It has seen some wonderful things, but at the end of the day, it was a shanner that that was our main stand for so long. Third biggest club in the country and look at what we were playing out of... I mean Jesus wept. 🙄

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

It is a bit early to say. I hope it won't be replaced for a long time but since it won't last forever I hope it will be replaced by something.

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It is a bit early to say. I hope it won't be replaced for a long time but since it won't last forever I hope it will be replaced by something.

🤷‍♂️

4A2E90A2-B911-49D7-A59A-5BAE97083423.jpeg

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Beast Boy said:

Have you been to the Albert Dock in Liverpool?  Your prejudice against good dock and  warehouse building is ignorant. As is your opinion.of our old stand.

1 hour ago, Beast Boy said:

No contempt for it, it served a purpose. It was however a cheap and functional red brick building that resembled a dilapidated warehouse. It has seen some wonderful things, but at the end of the day, it was a shanner that that was our main stand for so long. Third biggest club in the country and look at what we were playing out of... I mean Jesus wept. 🙄

Agreed.  The Old Main stand was horrible to be honest.  It looked very disjointed and enevitably got worse over time.  The only time it looked okay was shortly before it was demolished when all the seats had been removed.  

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Have you been to the Albert Dock in Liverpool?  Your prejudice against good dock and  warehouse building is ignorant. As is your opinion.of our old stand.

Nope. Is it a really nice example of a warehouse? 🤷‍♂️

Not really in to warehouses unless they have early nineties rave and Indy music blaring out of them. 

gorgie rd eh11

The old stand lost a lot in size and character when the standing enclosure was first seated then reduced in size during the initial stadium r edevelopment.

old stand.jpg

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Not really in to warehouses unless they have early nineties rave and Indy music blaring out of them. 

When you say nope do you mean no. In other words you have not been to or seen  the Albert Dock?

And yet you think a comparison with warehouse docks is some sort of insult?

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I said I hoped it would be replaced by something.

Don't you?

Or do you think it will last forever?

Edited by Francis Albert

36 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Well I never! The nerve of you.

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

When you say nope do you mean no. In other words you have not been to or seen  the Albert Dock?

And yet you think a comparison with warehouse docks is some sort of insult?

I think you need to stop taking it so personally Archibald. I think it looked shit. Get over it. 👍

9 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Well I never! The nerve of you.

I know. I really need to start getting in to warehouses more. I’ve obviously never lived.

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, OTT said:

I agree but tbf, when it was built it was current not in the past or history so unsure how it could have been built with history in mind, the club was maybe only 30 odd years old when it was built? 

It was a shit hole and put dated by the time it was replaced, thankfully it has been. 

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree but tbf, when it was built it was current not in the past or history so unsure how it could have been built with history in mind, the club was maybe only 30 odd years old when it was built? 

It was a shit hole and put dated by the time it was replaced, thankfully it has been. 

Point is though, it was pretty nondescript and uninspiring compared to other clubs’ main stands anyway. 

50 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Point is though, it was pretty nondescript and uninspiring compared to other clubs’ main stands anyway. 

Which stands in particular. If your comparing other stands it has the original ones. For example Ibrox which looks like a giant warehouse or the old Easter Road which was constructed from metal sheeting and had no back on the seats. 

41 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I've stayed in the hotel at Albert Dock. It's a wonderful conversion of a warehouse, as is the entire Albert Dock development.

I think I share a bit of your love for imposing red brick, as I also admire the old, undeveloped warehouses on the Leeds-Liverpool canal between Shipley and Saltaire. There's just something about the way the Victorians used brick.

Having said this, and back on topic, the Tynecastle stand wasn't even a pale imitation of those at Ibrox or Villa Park. The Tynecastle stand was utilitarian, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that's all it was.

Maybe an age thing . When I started to go to games we would go round to the main stand after the game to get autographs and (creepy?) just see the players coming out . Seemed magical at the time . 

To those of us old enough it was a lot more than a brick building

28 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Which stands in particular. If your comparing other stands it has the original ones. For example Ibrox which looks like a giant warehouse or the old Easter Road which was constructed from metal sheeting and had no back on the seats. 

Ibrox’s main stand was a much more pleasing on the eye construction. Hibs’ was shit too, no doubt about that. I can’t believe I’m even having to debate this point tbh. I’m all for maroon tinted specs, mine are never far from reach, but as far as “main stands” go, it was ugly, bland and totally uninspiring. 🤷‍♂️

38 minutes ago, pablo said:

I enjoyed sitting in the old stand more than the new one. 

Fully aware that it needed replacing etc.

Exactly, whatever one’s view on the old stand it was well past it’s sell by date. It’s good that some of the bricks were re-used as a nod to the past. 

I’ve been in the stands or been at grounds of the stands mentioned in this thread, Arsenal, Rangers, Everton, Fulham, Bologna etc., but compared to the the old stand at Tynecastle they were all second! The Old Stand was the best, simply because it was Hearts, Hearts supporters sat in it, Hearts teams changed in it (all the great players) and played in front of it, these other imposters to greatest stand never had any of these! I saw my first game in the old stand. And the ‘sound effects’ what the foot stamping spread north to south / south to north was unbeatable! Yes it was passed its ‘sell by date’ but in its day the Hearts Old Stand was the best! Forget about the bricks and mortar, the supporters, players, teams, performances and memories made it Number One!

I sat in the Main Stand for one game before it was demolished to get some photos.

Unfortunately the sun shining straight into your eyes also spoiled any small chance I had of taking a decent photo.😏

nYsa1BK4WNhoV55sVImFMDlQtBY6F8HQKVuTmDAwQqjIyf5s_lITY3zQ0HThmD1xho71pNkVm-QchXOFGtxeRU1kR5o0K3FRiscdtO5prZX_6D-o7Se5I05VGHDyCN-7TwQ4jPCOebiFoUV6hmEyK6-b8KPo0KqsmM8yIt9uJpVajOvUNcwHxkYzGwNTIs0xh_sA9ZLwJJZZlfGp6PYPEEeLlpMANAPE3N5j2ADxzE1Jgj7i2nqO0-v4I_s_p2V_0RlfSoPgdn6cBPq-atsVw_97bYdXRpNF58LncUpMDLtYNFk6zy1GJXzxR5OO3L1p-LhVb0a_CoOFdksdYmJwaT1rPXgjv53WTi5DxxkL9wrgblBE9ZX_MZiHnrJgqj80NsRTFFn6whLQAWvvvqOIHL6V18CqToiykIP2EeJhX3ND8bRejlA8r5LlLnxfxcYhfgNlsmd4RV7stwF-i0iHICqBYh2ZrYj5EICJkGTJrtKr9qe9xaSVwRUUkvI0fbZ0cjAJUUUc_HTIP1XDO54BINlGeBmhpYk1mTTPAiX9mtTl3k0pYe54oOmNThZbQLH_4LsYm-PAbQOzxsIKyQavgmZKPuJnFFwaKpKx4F3FB0-5vaAerEQeurTrZWW4gdrPu3xy9cuceca7KiFXdc1lY160IwoMPhDOsJNvrzjWVL7dGy_GE_9QH8D90lfN_Q=w1560-h878-no?authuser=0TGahTP9_yZEvR4kZvL1MQr7bCW7cc8d_zrctAOEs1RkEUf67aaOITK6BHC7wKNYACWZjOZMiIgDAjvUMg2ilTL8xcT2wdg0UUvTHi3_4jibHXfXbovfhu9xq3mnz_67oHe4mASUWONIn6OFosv93hAeHq9umXFxhFzunR6L33RFK2F0C4W-YhrByoWutZlwF4KRfLFOxiDvyR5MHGdUaxXP_Pnlj_r9ZaDMQM_fYoV_pahYWIF8u9FGF1FmbwoVPuI6el8NTrkoydxgCrq941Q38OXRIieSGtzb-QO39D8gbC9r0WHFxtb7F-INVJhmAZP7wSs0jMwi_0DiL9_c40AC0UwFdjz3C9LWBocOjiFrOr74SLUuhf8BYKWPCGTUoA6XCssig_EHHJMYxRWLlvx-4UGfJvkzgQBrhiwPHkGKUg8nWfDbj8v3ymt6u55UM5HzoN89J0QhZwaXc0VNZ5Bcb6jufV4A9z-vb0pnUnKz1n8LNdshLeKDsNF0XRcprAKP7ZyT9RgE-kssA5_nhNZ7EiRp89wir4zoj2DNi-Cmgp_VvTnnolok0YOInKZ0XB9-aZtaquDfRgHpICln2gSwChXmosLvw3pMKTafXI5mPfcJsZ6LicVjkUE_q5-MUbMnGwp4WQcrvZ0Vejya4oVsWHcaZweLol1HJMMTIo4WD-ZP3YZk8wK1haIQcCQ=w1560-h878-no?authuser=0

RMxTaq_s_xgIwg-rDsbNQyoVFRLoUXmRuxxaOxPl3LATmV_lcTBJgdXPEpFz51xHGqXXmUDMJnKFQe9QiOWT2jPpzyOEW3VaTNQ8-euWC0OAm7efwR6RElE5i0G5X1dy8jQ6J8hDPIKT1SPCPJmJkmnFeQ9suIu2LyzmAK9WexltCC5XLoQEa4VPxGFqn3liIQXF4NtVOruE2TSkQy3yPXWzQYttC0UOFJVx_0erYBzrn7WaI2zvmwy5LzlmVZ-6QRg7ASaaddUtF3kQqh8EV2whjLTCC4T2tf29OYpO63MZJMuzDJUzKM9-OmMOXJt0-_NPuiB29_tlANws7nQQYsfxtrUx5sv5LaTirWqSDb6wuIPWrFVxRAx9zWoyI6UyfQZiFwR03kcI9EE-3_ya7UZHmcs89DY3_kEx13FgMUZEqkuLliWomLYjtPK9k1mdmAw2hxo9SrmFZEGqrnwDjOTZZ8oVEBfBOXCFA-o75T3SEpbPgctsEYn2IpDg7G5-yCwbTNvYLjt8QOjlIxXuVx5_J7e9atdL5wj-dK_kGN9qYktOwuMQoSW9IWUfKMEfgCyc_MKY9_agRQSneEIPWpZOmwrqtp0-CTPJqvUf9fJl2hvBxsapmaYci_pGwGdlOgxFSKg281Uxf0o2urCxEj_WNYXRTxv8SWm2-L3X7zkO1I7P5Yk7a6I_KMvi5w=w1560-h878-no?authuser=0

Montgomery Brewster
22 minutes ago, sassenach said:

In case anyone is interested, here's a picture of the great Brian Clough in front of the 1903 Ayresome Park main stand.

The spectator areas were very similar to those in the Tynecastle stand, the main differences between the stands being the roof designs with Ayresome's being of a barrel-shape rather than flat pitched. Ayresome Park's roof also had a characteristic Leitch gable in the centre, although this was also curved to match the main roof.

What I find interesting is the fancy ironwork beneath the roof edge. This had all been removed by the time I made it to Ayresome Park, but like gables, some kind of decorative ironwork was a common feature of Leitch's stands. Did the Tynecastle stand also previously have any decorative ironwork? I have searched many times for photographs but never found anything.

00027E3B-0E39-1E2C-A9C980BFB6FA0000.jpg.5c021ec003149d3f7ff65cb5e1bfea2a.jpg

No. I believe we went for the budget option at the time (even that almost broke us)

1 minute ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

No. I believe we went for the budget option at the time (even that almost broke us)

Exactly. I get folk sticking up for it because it was ours and it was witness to great times and people, but the actual structure itself was just cheap and nasty looking. It should not have taken us as long as it did to replace it, but we have been skint for so bloody long, it’s understandable.

17 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Exactly. I get folk sticking up for it because it was ours and it was witness to great times and people, but the actual structure itself was just cheap and nasty looking. It should not have taken us as long as it did to replace it, but we have been skint for so bloody long, it’s understandable.

It was built over 100 years ago and at the time it was built and for its first 3 or 4 decades I’m sure it was highly regarded. And on balance probably more highly regarded in its first 40 years than the Gorgie, Wheatfield or Roseburn were from build to now!

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

It was built over 100 years ago and at the time it was built and for its first 3 or 4 decades I’m sure it was highly regarded. And on balance probably more highly regarded in its first 40 years than the Gorgie, Wheatfield or Roseburn were from build to now!

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest it wasn’t particularly highly regarded at the time, and that there were far better ones built, many by the same architect. 

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sorry, I maybe wasn't clear enough. When I said built with history in mind, I was thinking about Ibrox or Villa park. Unique architecture that gives a wonderful impression of the club and time in which it was built. Contrasted with our old stand that seemed to lack any recognisable unique characteristics or really any character in general, it was just old.. it was part of the reason I was asking if anyone had any pictures of the exterior prior to those god awful office buildings being plonked in front of it. It seems to me that when Ibrox's main stand was constructed it wasn't just built to fulfil a function, it was also a statement about the club. Ours didn't have that. There wasn't even a main entrance by the looks of things. What became the main entrance from my memory looks to have been tacked on at a later date (although I could and hope I'm wrong, hence the request for a photo of the exterior from before the office buildings were built).

Seemed like ours was functional where as other clubs were statements/ purposeful in a way. Its a shame really, in a city with such historical architecture its a real tragedy that the main stand didn't appear to have been built with any sort of view of tomorrow in mind. 

I think clubs that are still at their original ground have managed something special, but to have managed to preserve your original stand is a real achievement but obviously, thats something which needs to be tempered with the practical reality of modern football. My point is that its a bit sad our original main stand wasn't as grand as Ibrox or Villa Park even Highbury  to have been worth trying to preserve. 

Does that kinda clear up where I was coming from with my post?

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Sorry, I maybe wasn't clear enough. When I said built with history in mind, I was thinking about Ibrox or Villa park. Unique architecture that gives a wonderful impression of the club and time in which it was built. Contrasted with our old stand that seemed to lack any recognisable unique characteristics or really any character in general, it was just old.. it was part of the reason I was asking if anyone had any pictures of the exterior prior to those god awful office buildings being plonked in front of it. It seems to me that when Ibrox's main stand was constructed it wasn't just built to fulfil a function, it was also a statement about the club. Ours didn't have that. There wasn't even a main entrance by the looks of things. What became the main entrance from my memory looks to have been tacked on at a later date (although I could and hope I'm wrong, hence the request for a photo of the exterior from before the office buildings were built).

Seemed like ours was functional where as other clubs were statements/ purposeful in a way. Its a shame really, in a city with such historical architecture its a real tragedy that the main stand didn't appear to have been built with any sort of view of tomorrow in mind. 

I think clubs that are still at their original ground have managed something special, but to have managed to preserve your original stand is a real achievement but obviously, thats something which needs to be tempered with the practical reality of modern football. My point is that its a bit sad our original main stand wasn't as grand as Ibrox or Villa Park even Highbury  to have been worth trying to preserve. 

Does that kinda clear up where I was coming from with my post?

Aye, it wiz cheap, nae thought onto it. 😂😂👍

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

I think Ibrox looks good from certain points. 

Old, traditional but also big. 

It was far superior to our old stand in every way I can think off apart from the fact ibrox is in Govan and our old stand wasn't. 

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, it wiz cheap, nae thought onto it. 😂😂👍

Not really how I was looking for it to be condensed down to, but whatever. 

If anyone has a photo of the main stand prior to say, 1950 that clearly shows the exterior that would be much appreciated. Can't find a photo anywhere and would be keen to see it before it became so dated. 

Just now, OTT said:

If anyone has a photo of the main stand prior to say, 1950 that clearly shows the exterior that would be much appreciated. Can't find a photo anywhere and would be keen to see it before it became so dated. 

The only full length photo of the frontage I’ve seen was taken just before demolition started and the modern buildings were gone. 

34 minutes ago, OTT said:

33 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The only full length photo of the frontage I’ve seen was taken just before demolition started and the modern buildings were gone. 

Aye. Thought I’d seen a “panoramic” photo of it from before the old club and office buildings were erected, but clearly must have been imagining it. Can’t find one anywhere. Maybe London Hearts? 🤷‍♂️

As Tazio said, there’s just a few from when we demolished them:

2898107D-DA59-48DC-90FA-F4E039B19E4A.jpeg

CD147431-DD30-4EA1-9CD7-24564257F9C6.png

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, OTT said:

I was jesting. 

I think our new stand does what you were alluding too, its preserves our history through the bricks, the mosiac, the museum etc. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I was jesting. 

I think our new stand does what you were alluding too, its preserves our history through the bricks, the mosiac, the museum etc. 

Oops! Yeah definitely, being able to preserve the mosaic was fantastic. Its nice to see the club going in the right direction at last, I hope we see continued growth and further stadium expansion over the coming decade. The past is one thing, but need to look towards the future. When you stand still you get left behind. 

I think we're finally moving forwards and have a bit of momentum. If we could get up to 25-30k capacity I reckon we'd be looking at 6-8 full houses a season which would substantially increase the finances available to the club, create the gap between ourselves and the other 9 and really give us a leg up going forward. I really believe there is a buzz and a bit of momentum about the club just now, I think a bit of ambition with stadium capacity will pay dividends later down the line. 

Loved sitting in the auld lady, best stand for atmosphere and characters.

FFS, yes it was old and tired at the end, it was over 100 years old

............and the old Section N in her, was night and day ahead of the current one.

35 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Loved sitting in the auld lady, best stand for atmosphere and characters.

FFS, yes it was old and tired at the end, it was over 100 years old

............and the old Section N in her, was night and day ahead of the current one.

Just imagine the atmosphere we could get going if we played in a public park. We should just do that. :lol:

Few people taking the absolute undeniable truth about our old stand a bit personally here. Lots of people love clapped out old Ladas and Des O’Connor jokes. Doesn’t make them any less shit though.