The main stand

campbell

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Oops! Yeah definitely, being able to preserve the mosaic was fantastic. Its nice to see the club going in the right direction at last, I hope we see continued growth and further stadium expansion over the coming decade. The past is one thing, but need to look towards the future. When you stand still you get left behind. 

I think we're finally moving forwards and have a bit of momentum. If we could get up to 25-30k capacity I reckon we'd be looking at 6-8 full houses a season which would substantially increase the finances available to the club, create the gap between ourselves and the other 9 and really give us a leg up going forward. I really believe there is a buzz and a bit of momentum about the club just now, I think a bit of ambition with stadium capacity will pay dividends later down the line. 

My vision is similar, top 3/4 in the league every season, be about the cups as we have last two seasons, then get to the last euro qualifier regularly and build from there. 

We have a lot of work to do for that but we have the infrastructure in place and as you say if we can do that for even 5/6 years then the capacity would need to be looked at. 

Meduim to long term thinking tho, short term get promoted see the club and business through covid. 

Football changes quickly, hard to think about such things atm, but a wee sc final in December would be a start. 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• Francis Albert

• Bazzas right boot

11 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Ibrox’s main stand was a much more pleasing on the eye construction. Hibs’ was shit too, no doubt about that. I can’t believe I’m even having to debate this point tbh. I’m all for maroon tinted specs, mine are never far from reach, but as far as “main stands” go, it was ugly, bland and totally uninspiring. 🤷‍♂️

Archibald Leitch was a Rangers fan and money was no object 

for Rangers therefore they got the best our stand was built

to a budget the same as dens park main stand which was very

similar.Another nice Archibald Leitch stand was villa park 

4 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest it wasn’t particularly highly regarded at the time, and that there were far better ones built, many by the same architect. 

That’s your opinion on matters over 100 years ago ...

6 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Archibald Leitch was a Rangers fan and money was no object 

for Rangers therefore they got the best our stand was built

to a budget the same as dens park main stand which was very

similar.Another nice Archibald Leitch stand was villa park 

That is what I thought. Apart from the Rangers fan bit. Didn’t know that.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Fox said:

That’s your opinion on matters over 100 years ago ...

Well, aye... clearly. None of us were there, were we. I’ve got eyes in my head though, and I am able to make a call by looking at it and comparing how it looked against others from that time. 

I get that people have fond memories of it. That’s fine. Let’s not pretend it was some grand design or beautiful construction though. It just wasn’t.

1 minute ago, Beast Boy said:

Well, aye... clearly. None of us were there, were we. I’ve got eyes in my head though, and I am able to make a call by looking at it and comparing how it looked against others from that time. 

I get that people have fond memories of it. That’s fine. Let’s not pretend it was some grand design or beautiful construction though. It just wasn’t.

You didn’t like it!

I did!

When I walked along Dalry Road, into Gorgie Road and then turned right into McLeod Street it looked awesome (especially at night matches), beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

20 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

You didn’t like it!

I did!

When I walked along Dalry Road, into Gorgie Road and then turned right into McLeod Street it looked awesome (especially at night matches), beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

Sure, no problem with that. Be honest though, it’s more to do with memories and nostalgia than it was the actual design and construction. I could see the thing from my living room window for six years. My nostalgic memory of old Tynecastle is climbing the stairs at the school end before kick off and the stadium opening up in front of me when I reached the summit. Not because the view was one of beauty though. It’s because it was exciting. I remember the anticipation and the sights, sounds and smells that made it exciting. At no point was I ever in awe of the aesthetic beauty of the place though. I don’t really get that.

Edited by Beast Boy

59 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Sure, no problem with that. Be honest though, it’s more to do with memories and nostalgia than it was the actual design and construction. I could see the thing from my living room window for six years. My nostalgic memory of old Tynecastle is climbing the stairs at the school end before kick off and the stadium opening up in front of me when I reached the summit. Not because the view was one of beauty though. It’s because it was exciting. I remember the anticipation and the sights, sounds and smells that made it exciting. At no point was I ever in awe of the aesthetic beauty of the place though. I don’t really get that.

Understand that .... but in my eyes it was beautiful as were the other unique parts of Tynecastle  Park!

40C6B796-0F85-4B7F-BFB2-69221925E4E2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

What a beauty ...

DB23A132-A2D4-49D0-AB03-4C420063E6C6.jpeg

Wonderful memories. This photo in particular reminds me of going to games with my Dad when I was a kid. We stood a bit further to the right (from the photographer’s point of view), but that’s about as close to a snapshot from my memory as you will get. 

Still say it’s an ugly construction though.

7 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Understand that .... but in my eyes it was beautiful as were the other unique parts of Tynecastle  Park!

40C6B796-0F85-4B7F-BFB2-69221925E4E2.jpeg

As Spike Milligan once said:-

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...

... Get it out with Optrex" 😊

To me, that is now't more than a basic cheapo utility construction and was put to shame by any number of fine Edinburgh buildings. Exhibit No.1, M'lud ... Powderhall Refuse Depot, a waste incineration plant constructed in 1893.

20200911_071842.jpg

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

a basic cheapo utility construction

That’s exactly what it was. All a part of cementing our place in the grand scheme of things. A place we are hopefully going to climb above in the future. The current stadium is a step in the right direction. Maybe when it’s time to redo the other three stands, we can take another step or three. A larger capacity would be nice.

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

And this 

0CC827A6-17EC-4D01-8ADC-46C6B83027C5.jpeg

That’s the best pic I’ve seen in ages. It’s good seeing colour pics like this. What season was this ?

34 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

That’s the best pic I’ve seen in ages. It’s good seeing colour pics like this. What season was this ?

Looks like Motherwell. I think they played in that top in the early 70s?

• 10 months later...

Maybe it’s a July only problem but I’m surprised anyone wants to pay for main stand season tickets over the Wheatfield given you’re getting the sun blasting you all game in the former. 

PhoenixHearts
5 hours ago, JCR said:

Maybe it’s a July only problem but I’m surprised anyone wants to pay for main stand season tickets over the Wheatfield given you’re getting the sun blasting you all game in the former. 

Nothing that some sunglasses or a cap can't fix

I sit in the main stand right by the home dugout.

Admittedly the sun can be annoying on very clear days but I like the trade off of being so close to the technical area I can hear all the shouting and balling and see all the goings on. Really adds to my matchday experience. Right across the stairs from where all the unused players sit. Always fun to spy on in January in case you see any unfamiliar faces.

Honestly it's the rainy days that give me buyers remorse. 100 times worse than a bit of sunshine, being in the 6th row and all...But that's a problem shared by all stands.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Nothing that some sunglasses or a cap can't fix

I sit in the main stand right by the home dugout.

Admittedly the sun can be annoying on very clear days but I like the trade off of being so close to the technical area I can hear all the shouting and balling and see all the goings on. Really adds to my matchday experience. Right across the stairs from where all the unused players sit. Always fun to spy on in January in case you see any unfamiliar faces.

Honestly it's the rainy days that give me buyers remorse. 100 times worse than a bit of sunshine, being in the 6th row and all...But that's a problem shared by all stands.

Before the all seated rule came in I used to watch from the enclosure, down from the stand. There was usually a great vibe in there, with good view even when the fence went up. The sun was never a problem, but the rain could be.

I remember a match, midweek against St Johnstone if I remember correctly, when there was a deluge of rain. It got so bad that many of us were shouting up at Wallace to let us into the stand, which wasn't anywhere near capacity. We had to stay where we were and man up. 

It is obviously much worse sitting in the rain than standing. For guys of my generation, standing in the rain at grounds wasn't unusual. Most grounds had large areas without cover, Hampden being one of the worst.

Bungalow Bill
35 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Before the all seated rule came in I used to watch from the enclosure, down from the stand. There was usually a great vibe in there, with good view even when the fence went up. The sun was never a problem, but the rain could be.

I remember a match, midweek against St Johnstone if I remember correctly, when there was a deluge of rain. It got so bad that many of us were shouting up at Wallace to let us into the stand, which wasn't anywhere near capacity. We had to stay where we were and man up. 

It is obviously much worse sitting in the rain than standing. For guys of my generation, standing in the rain at grounds wasn't unusual. Most grounds had large areas without cover, Hampden being one of the worst.

I was at that game, it was in January (it was my brothers birthday), can’t remember the year though. The St J fans were moved next to us in the main stand due to the rain. 

12 hours ago, JCR said:

I sit quite far back, just like I did in the old main stand. I never had a problem with sun in the old stand, but you sometimes lost the ball in the air because of the roof, the pillars could get in the way, the sightlines to the touchline in the corners could be a problem and you could not see the stadium in totality. I've now got none of these problems. Yes, there can now be a problem with the sun however it is only early in the season and I've learned to bring a cap.