Train derailed Aberdeen

Cruyff

Seen a train buff post on Twitter that 3 passenger trains have passed through this morning and reached their intended destination, so perhaps this is a freight train or just an empty train going to another station.

That could be nonsense, but if true then there won't be a lot of casualties thankfully. Although I still hope the driver and any additional crew are fine. 

12 minutes ago, Locky said:

Seen a train buff post on Twitter that 3 passenger trains have passed through this morning and reached their intended destination, so perhaps this is a freight train or just an empty train going to another station.

That could be nonsense, but if true then there won't be a lot of casualties thankfully. Although I still hope the driver and any additional crew are fine. 

Its deffo a passenger train 

Don’t think there was many people on it but deffo had passengers 

12 minutes ago, Locky said:

It's an Aberdeen-Glasgow Scotrail HST. With the Aberdeen lockdown it hopefully won't have had too many on board although I was in Stonehaven at the weekend and got the Glasgow train out on Sunday morning and it was fairly busy then but fingers crossed. 

5 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

A Network Rail control log, says engine + 4 carriages fallen down embankment.

And burst into flames apparently 😬😬😬

SwindonJambo
9 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

A Network Rail control log, says engine + 4 carriages fallen down embankment.

Oh shit :( This sounds bad. Am earlier poster said it's an HST set, which, until 3 years ago ran on the Great Western Line which passes within a mile of my place. They were transferred North when the line was electrified. They're over 40 years old and very heavy so a fall down an embankment really isn't good.

Edited by SwindonJambo

10 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Oh shit :( This sounds bad. Am earlier poster said it's an HST set, which, until 3 years ago ran on the Great Western Line which passes within a mile of my place. They were transferred North when the line was electrified. They're over 40 years old and very heavy so a fall down an embankment really isn't good.

12 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

And burst into flames apparently 😬😬😬

Also, log says 3 crew members and 6 passengers on board.

Train returned on the Down Main having encountered a landslip further south.

Edited by The Spy Who Loved Me

1 minute ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Also, log say’s 3 crew members and 6 passengers on board.

Train returned on the Down Main having encountered a landslip further south.

Sounds morbid but thankfully that Train wasn't packed. 

SwindonJambo
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Sounds morbid but thankfully that Train wasn't packed. 

A railway buff just called Radio 5 and said the lead power car detached itself from carriages, plunged down a ravine and burst into flames. 1 unconfirmed fatality. He said It was a member of the public who raised the alarm and not the driver.

John Findlay

Not announced yet, but the driver of the passenger train is sadly a fatality.

I will say no more at present.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Not announced yet, but the driver of the passenger train is sadly a fatality.

I will say no more at present.

Sorry for the loss of your colleague

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

That's terrible, John. 

It sure is. 

There is no answer to mother nature when she sets her mind to it.

15 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Seen some photos. Horrendous. 

Thoughts to all involved in it. Hopefully the casualties are low. 

As I said without sounding bad it was lucky the train wasn’t packed or you’d be talking lots of deaths 

12 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Seen some photos. Horrendous. 

Thoughts to all involved in it. Hopefully the casualties are low. 

As a Scotrail employee myself I find it really crass and insensitive at some of the photos flying about social media from the scene. Especially given john findlay's earlier post saying the driver (and one of our colleagues) has tragically lost their life. That person could quite possibly have friends and family members who are aware there's a possibility they couldve been driving that train and could be waiting to hear of their (hopeful) safety. 

indianajones
6 minutes ago, theshed said:

As I said without sounding bad it was lucky the train wasn’t packed or you’d be talking lots of deaths 

Extremely lucky.

5 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

As a Scotrail employee myself I find it really crass and insensitive at some of the photos flying about social media from the scene. Especially given john findlay's earlier post saying the driver (and one of our colleagues) has tragically lost their life. That person could quite possibly have friends and family members who are aware there's a possibility they couldve been driving that train and could be waiting to hear of their (hopeful) safety. 

I agree but thats the nature of social media these days. Beruit being another example. 

As long as no one is posting it on here.

6 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Era of the smartphone. Where taking photos comes before a thought process.

30 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Extremely lucky.

I agree but thats the nature of social media these days. Beruit being another example. 

As long as no one is posting it on here.

Couple of pretty graphic photos posted on here 2hrs ago 😔

29 minutes ago, Gone said:

Era of the smartphone. Where taking photos comes before a thought process.

sad times. I'm damn sure if I was near the scene of an accident like that the 1st thing that would enter my mind is can I help? I get what you're saying though...phone is just a name these days and not even a primary function of the smart phone thanks to social media!

39 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I totally agree, Billy. We have turned into a society of voyeurs and ghouls, always looking for the next shock fix, insensitive to the harm to others. A real shame.

SwindonJambo

The BBC have reported 3  pronounced fatalities at the scene, including the driver. 6 others are in hospital. 

Edited by SwindonJambo

23 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I totally agree, Billy. We have turned into a society of voyeurs and ghouls, always looking for the next shock fix, insensitive to the harm to others. A real shame.

Not convinced that's the case. I believe it's all about the attention and potential likes/shares. Both could tie in with each other but I'd say 'likes' are more important than shocking someone.

Three people at least will go through what I have just gone through. I had the benefit of seeing my loss to the end, now I have had that experience my heart goes out to the poor souls who will receive this tragic sudden news of the passing of a loved one. My heart is still full of loss, but I am sure my wife would be the first one to tell me to make space there for these poor sad to be people. I give them my condolences and understanding for their sadness.

1 hour ago, Gone said:

Not convinced that's the case. I believe it's all about the attention and potential likes/shares. Both could tie in with each other but I'd say 'likes' are more important than shocking someone.

Agree with this. Numerous arseholes resharing these images and saying they're not mine. Why share them then ya arsehole. Clearly looking for likes and attention. Shameful.

RIP and very sorry for colleagues loss gents. 

John Findlay

It was a HST train from Aberdeen to Glasgow which had been delayed due to flooding. My sincere condolences to the family and friends of those that have sadly lost their lives.

Absolutely gutted to hear people have lost their lives. Was following this most of the day, so really saddened to see its ended up with casualties.

Its so bloody tragic, sounds like the driver was doing the right thing and returning back to the station too so for that to have happened like this is utterly depressing. 

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of the driver and  passengers. I hope in the wake of this the government will look closely at what, why and how it happened to try and tighten up rail safety so this doesn't happen again.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

It was said to me, a few weeks ago in conversation, that 30 years ago, if somebody was in difficulties in the sea, a number of people would do all they could to rescue the person in distress.

These days, most of them would just film the person drowning.

There's a time and place for smartphone cameras. This rail tragedy today, clearly, wasn't. Shame on those who saw fit to take pictures of such a scene, for sharing on social media. 

Terrible day for all those affected. We are lucky, and privileged, that the skill and dedication of railway workers makes this an unusual event.

What a horrible day for all involved. My thoughts go out to the family of the deceased and all at Scotrail.

Some of my colleagues are up there at the minute. I was on annual leave today but seen the news and offered my help - been dealing with the flooding / bridge collapse at Polmont all day.

John Findlay
43 minutes ago, Homme said:

What a horrible day for all involved. My thoughts go out to the family of the deceased and all at Scotrail.

Some of my colleagues are up there at the minute. I was on annual leave today but seen the news and offered my help - been dealing with the flooding / bridge collapse at Polmont all day.

The bridge across the station or the one near the Tesco's?

Very sad to see this news tonight, 2 staff and 1 passenger lives lost. As a railway worker myself a derailed train is my worst fear, horrible to see it so close to home. 

19 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The bridge across the station or the one near the Tesco's?

Should have been more precise. A culvert and not a bridge. Washout.

It's just east of the station.

The canal burst its banks at Whitecross and washed out the railway also. Gonna be closed for months.

Edited by Homme

John Findlay
25 minutes ago, Homme said:

The canal burst its banks at Whitecross and washed out the railway also. Gonna be closed for months.

Got you.

45 minutes ago, Homme said:

Edinburgh to Glasgow line closed for months?