People that go missing.

Dawnrazor

The amount of posts on Faceache for information on people that are missing is incredible, I can't think of a worse situation for a parent or loved one than not to know where thier son/daughter/spouse or parent is.

In this day and age of social media and mobile phones it's magnified somehow, I'd disappear for weeks on end in the late 80's but as long as I phoned my mum once a week she was happy, but now, communication is diffirent. Fingers crossed for people looking for a missing family member.

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, Cade said:

Someone goes missing in the UK every 2 minutes.

Often they are found within a few days.

Sometimes it takes months, or years.

Sometimes they are never found.

Had a housemate go missing a few years ago and it was a tense time until he popped up at the other end of the country.

https://www.missingpeople.org.uk/help-us-find.html

That’s an incredible stat . It’s a real mystery where they go ? Think most intentually    go “ missing “ to just start a new life 

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

The amount of posts on Faceache for information on people that are missing is incredible, I can't think of a worse situation for a parent or loved one than not to know where thier son/daughter/spouse or parent is.

In this day and age of social media and mobile phones it's magnified somehow, I'd disappear for weeks on end in the late 80's but as long as I phoned my mum once a week she was happy, but now, communication is diffirent. Fingers crossed for people looking for a missing family member.

Seems to have been a deliberate tactic since Police Scotland  came into being.

24 minutes ago, Cade said:

Someone goes missing in the UK every 2 minutes.

Often they are found within a few days.

Sometimes it takes months, or years.

Sometimes they are never found.

Had a housemate go missing a few years ago and it was a tense time until he popped up at the other end of the country.

https://www.missingpeople.org.uk/help-us-find.html

Must've been a terrible time for his family and friends, truly terrible.

What prompted my post was a young woman from Skipton, about 50 minutes from me, a really lovely town, very Yorkshire, somewhere you'd think "idyllic", guess you never know.

3 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Seems to have been a deliberate tactic since Police Scotland  came into being.

Eh?

Space Mackerel
9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Eh?

I think he/she means the Police use social media nowadays to help. 

The word deliberate is unnecessary is this context. 

2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I think he/she means the Police use social media nowadays to help. 

The word deliberate is unnecessary is this context. 

Ok, cheers👍

William H. Bonney

There was a story in the news last week of a man presumed murdered 5 years ago found living in the woods. He had disappeared due to threats to his life. 

My auntie’s husband went missing in the 60’s after he didn’t return from a trip at sea (merchant navy), never found and she resigned herself to a life as a widow. Fast forward almost 20 years and a lad I was at school with told me he was going to Liverpool to visit his Uncle Donald in the summer holidays. I mentioned this to my mum and she was a bit shocked to say the least. Uncle Donald was the long lost husband! 
To be fair to the guy I can’t say I completely blame him if he was married to my auntie. My mum decided it was best just to keep it quiet and not tell her as she was suffered badly with her mental health for years and it could have been the last straw for her. 

Weakened Offender

Must be brutal for young ladies these days. Can't go out and get a half decent bag-off without their teapot parents posting them missing on social media. 🙄

1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

There was a story in the news last week of a man presumed murdered 5 years ago found living in the woods. He had disappeared due to threats to his life. 

Aye he was a victim of modern slavery and was getting death threats from his captor/employer after making contact with citizens advice.

Employer/captor posted him missing and said he thought he was probably dead.

Poor guy was living in fear in the woods for five years.

Pretty sure there was a documentary few years back about folk who go missing on cruises based on one particular disappearance.

200 folk disappeared since 2000 i think. Very easy murder tactic....book a sea view cabin....get your partner tipsy......and over you go. Even if you were spotted the response time to getting to you and/or turning the ship around means you've little chance.

12 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Must be brutal for young ladies these days. Can't go out and get a half decent bag-off without their teapot parents posting them missing on social media. 🙄

That one thing i've noticed is that more often now it's cases of not being seen since this morning or last night, when I was younger i'd go for a pint on a thursday night and sometimes now make it back to my parents until sunday night!

14 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Must've been a terrible time for his family and friends, truly terrible.

What prompted my post was a young woman from Skipton, about 50 minutes from me, a really lovely town, very Yorkshire, somewhere you'd think "idyllic", guess you never know.

What made it worse was that my housemate was a recovering addict and formerly homeless.

He'd gone through an intense residential rehab programme with 5 other guys and he was the only one still alive.

All the others had either fallen back off the wagon or the damage done to their bodies over the years had just too much and they all passed away in quick succession.

So it was panic stations when he disappeared.

Had to deal with family, the support group, his doctor, police, his addiction sponsor and whole other bunch of people.

After he was found it was nice to not have the phone ring every few hours.