Queen of the South v Hearts Scottish Cup

otterjohn

Sorry Mods maybe I should have done these memories on one thread. Im sure I will eventually pick it up. Anyway I wondered if anyone remembers or saw this.

Hearts played QOTS in the Scottish Cup many moons ago.We hadnt played them in a while I think it was in the 70s.We took a massive support and our bus left about 6am

I think our watering hole was called The Hole in the Wall.We left the pub for the game and right over our heads flew a Swan with a Hearts scarf on .The rumour was it had been tied to it by one of the well known McIntosh twins,great guys and great Jambos.but maybe not so good naturalists

John Findlay
20 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Sorry Mods maybe I should have done these memories on one thread. Im sure I will eventually pick it up. Anyway I wondered if anyone remembers or saw this.

Hearts played QOTS in the Scottish Cup many moons ago.We hadnt played them in a while I think it was in the 70s.We took a massive support and our bus left about 6am

I think our watering hole was called The Hole in the Wall.We left the pub for the game and right over our heads flew a Swan with a Hearts scarf on .The rumour was it had been tied to it by one of the well known McIntosh twins,great guys and great Jambos.but maybe not so good naturalists

Was that the one we won 2 nil?

Queen of the South Goalie their talisman and long serving player Alan Ball?

Sorry John, im afraid I was very very drunk.I fell asleep in the Hole in the Wall shunkie at about 7 and was carried back to the bus.

I do recall their goalie being a real hero to them much like our own Cruickie.

What would Cruickie have thought of all our goalies performances last season I wonder

rambothejambo

I went to this game back then, travelled in the back of a friend of my Dad's van! The one abiding memory (I think) I have is that we were standing next to Alan Anderson's brother in the crowd. For any youngsters looking in Alan was one of our centre halves (and also captain IIRC). RTJ.

scott herbertson

We cycled there (one of us's bike got locked in third gear all the way....)

We were in the Hole in the Wall early doors and got threatened by the local neds

Only for the train to arrive with thousands of Hearts neds - bye lads....

Was in the hole in the wall before and after the game. Ended up missing the bus home and stayed the night in dumfries

4 hours ago, twjambo said:

I remember it being a very hot day. Lots of Jambos there, huge away support. 

It was February 75 and the crowd was 13,700

TyphoonJambo

I remember going there for a midweek game. Our bus, Drylaw Hearts, got trashed, almost every window gone and we had a big chest freezer full of ice lollies that had been liberated from a dumfries chippy down the back. Mental. 

11 hours ago, twjambo said:

I remember it being a very hot day. Lots of Jambos there, huge away support. 

That's right. It was almost tropical. It was 1-0 until near the end and I think it was the Buzzbomb who clinched it.

SectionDJambo
8 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

That's right. It was almost tropical. It was 1-0 until near the end and I think it was the Buzzbomb who clinched it.

Different trip I think. The cup tie was, as said earlier, and early round played in February.

I do have a recollection of going down on a very hot day though, but possibly after we were relegated. I can’t recall the score.

A couple of other memories from there are a Peter Shields free kick goal, which might have won a game, and a midweek game where we let a 3-0 lead go, to draw 3-3.

scott herbertson
14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Was that the one we won 2 nil?

Queen of the South Goalie their talisman and long serving player Alan Ball?

Ball was a real character. In one of the games I remember him coming round the back of the goal to exchange 'pleasantries' with the Hearts fans -, big grin on his face. He was a big lad

QosFC: Legends - Allan Ball

Spot the Hearts player guesting at his testimonial

Allan%20Ball%20testimonial%20(Small).jpg

Edited by scott herbertson

John Findlay
1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

Ball was a real character. In one of the games I remember him coming round the back of the goal to exchange 'pleasantries' with the Hearts fans -, big grin on his face. He was a big lad

From memory was a very decent keeper too. I think he had a soft spot for the Hearts.

Another big day out with a massive Hearts support. The crush barrier in front of us collapsed and I was convinced i was going to die. After the game I was trying to get some food in RS M cColls near the ground but it was being pillaged by Jambos who took everything they could cary. one guy walked out with the entire sweet counter display. Good times and bad times.

John Findlay
53 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Spot the Hearts player guesting at his testimonial

Allan%20Ball%20testimonial%20(Small).jpg

Gary MacKay, also see Davie Cooper and Danny McGrain too