St Johnstone v Hearts first division

otterjohn

19 hours ago, Australis said:

St Johnstone seemed to be our boogie team back then in the 70s

They had a guy called Henry Hall and another called Connoly who were both very good.

Jim Towsend was a decent player who came to us.

23 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Sorry for prattling on but heres another memory for the seniors.Can you remember we were in the old first division.We played each team twice one home and one away.

We played against the Saints at Muirton Park. Two years in a row we were winning 2-0 at half time only to get beat 2-3 both times.

the third game we were 1-3 down at half time only to get it to 3- 3 with just about the last kick of the ball I think. A young Jim Brown saved the day.Im sure in one of those games our full back Chris Shevlane scored with a header from a great distance.That was all in the days when hearts had a really large travelling support.

Lots of us travelled in the special excursion buses put on by SMT.

The travelling seemed to take forever then. I remember buses stopping for chips on the way bac from distant Falkirk.

Happy Days

Maybe another old timer could share one of their safer stories of those days

Hearts made a habit of winning at half-time and losing the game.

12 October 1972, Tannadice another example and don't start me about the 80's at Celtic Park.

The 2-2 v. Montrose at Tynecastle was my 2nd ever game and first under the floodlights. My dad was a Gorgie Road end punter back then. Never forgotten the first sight of the pitch and the lights etc. when we stepped onto the terracing. 

0-2 down, 1-2, then, iirc, a late penalty missed but an equaliser at the death anyway. 

Big crowd and rowdy atmosphere. I haven't checked the att. on London Hearts but I'd guess it was close to 20k.

1976 must have been one of the most arduous runs to a Cup final in history. All against lower league clubs, too. 

20 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Brilliant story Willie .I remember going to a midweek afternoon kick off v Partick. It was during the miners strike

The electricity had to be cut off during some days and most of the country was on a 3 day week.  Im sure we won

4-1 my boyhood hero Fordy scoring hatrick 

oilrig jambo
On 09/08/2020 at 19:20, samgolden said:

ReplayScottish cup At Muirton actually the 3rd game v Montrose can’t remember the year Callahan scored winner in E/t if I remember  

It was 1976

Some brilliant stories there.I wonder if anyone recalls or has a story about the Scottish cup 6-5 victory against Dundee United.

Another game at Tannadice I remember was a thrashing from them.A group of about 20 of us from the Palmerston Hearts bus were still singing the Hearts song which the Dundee Utd fans got a laugh at but also brought out a round of applause.

After the game we went to a pub near Tannadice.Everything was going well with the post match postmortem then in through the door

walked the referee[Brian Mcginley]and his two linesmen.There was a bit of a good natured discussion about a penalty against Hearts

but gladly it was all a good laugh.

On 09/08/2020 at 17:42, davemclaren said:

I remember Muirton in the early 80s when someone ( George Cowie? ) scored a wind assisted winning goal from our half. 

Was at that game. Absolute screamer! 

1 hour ago, otterjohn said:

Some brilliant stories there.I wonder if anyone recalls or has a story about the Scottish cup 6-5 victory against Dundee United.

Another game at Tannadice I remember was a thrashing from them.A group of about 20 of us from the Palmerston Hearts bus were still singing the Hearts song which the Dundee Utd fans got a laugh at but also brought out a round of applause.

After the game we went to a pub near Tannadice.Everything was going well with the post match postmortem then in through the door

walked the referee[Brian Mcginley]and his two linesmen.There was a bit of a good natured discussion about a penalty against Hearts

but gladly it was all a good laugh.

The 6-5 game. I was there as a 13 year old. Apart from the tremendous match the craziest thing was Rangers were at Dens THE SAME day. We kicked off at 2 o'clock them at 3. Buses from both clubs in the same area.  You can imagine the trouble. How on earth the authorities let that happen still amazes me to this day. The other laugh was my late father when I got home. He was a massive jambo but his work stopped him going to most away games. He got home, watched the teleprinter (remember that?) Which came up Dundee United 5 whereupon he started raging at the telly until the "Hearts 6" followed. My mum and brother were pissing themselves at his reaction.

On 10/08/2020 at 09:45, jonnothejambo said:

The Perth Pack liked a wee rumble.

Muirton Park had one of the biggest playing surfaces, if not the biggest, in the country. 

I don't really recall many games there but I do recall being 'chased'.

First ever away game i went to, think about 82,83 on the corrie, clerry hearts bus, too young to get in pub so was waiting outside wi rest of young lads, the Perth pack came round corner and the pub emptied. Carnage! Roasting hot day, under the old shed with fence between the fans, constant bits of terracing flying over. Think game was a draw. Some day, loved it. 

On 10/08/2020 at 09:47, jonnothejambo said:

Loved Big Ernie. Not the best but always gave everything. 

Remember as game v Morton  at Tynie

2-0 down and I think big Ernie came on 

it ended 2-2 ,and the cartoon strip about the game on Mondays news showd big Ernie in a cage waiting to get at them from Subs bench 

On 09/08/2020 at 21:16, willie wallace said:

I was there that day.I think we won 4-1.

Think it was 73\74.  Willie Gibson scored a late leveller for us in first game 1-1.  

1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

Was it Glenfarg we had to crawl through to get there before the motorway? Cheers

Certainly was and as the road got nearer to Perth it was like being in the Monte Carlo rally! Same route to Dundee where after Perth it was just as bad!
Kinross and Milnathort were popular stopping places on the return trip!

I vaguely remember running on to the pitch at Muirton to introduce myself to a new centre half called Don Murray.

He joined us from Cardiff. As was par for the course at that time im afraid I was very very drunk.I got kicked out by the friendly Perth constabulary but managed to get back in when no one was watching. Once more  I travelled  with the Palmerston Hearts bus.

Im sure every away trip started at the Cauldron for a few followed by a walk to get the bus at Haymarket.

A visit to the offy got us sorted with 6 cans of export and a bottle of Four Crown each. Ive very few memories of what actually happened at the games but i do know it was a fortnightly event getting thrown out the club at ten oclock for singing the Hearts song 

to noisily. it didnt go down well with the bingo players.

Oh and we thought it was great eating the hamburger and onion rolls the club sold

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Certainly was and as the road got nearer to Perth it was like being in the Monte Carlo rally! Same route to Dundee where after Perth it was just as bad!

The old road was certainly ‘scenic’. 😄

4 hours ago, otterjohn said:

I vaguely remember running on to the pitch at Muirton to introduce myself to a new centre half called Don Murray.

He joined us from Cardiff. As was par for the course at that time im afraid I was very very drunk.I got kicked out by the friendly Perth constabulary but managed to get back in when no one was watching. Once more  I travelled  with the Palmerston Hearts bus.

Im sure every away trip started at the Cauldron for a few followed by a walk to get the bus at Haymarket.

A visit to the offy got us sorted with 6 cans of export and a bottle of Four Crown each. Ive very few memories of what actually happened at the games but i do know it was a fortnightly event getting thrown out the club at ten oclock for singing the Hearts song 

to noisily. it didnt go down well with the bingo players.

Oh and we thought it was great eating the hamburger and onion rolls the club sold

Ah Four Crown. There was a drink to put hairs on your chest. La soupe electrique. Liptons (forerunner to Wm Lows) had sherry whose name escapes me but we called it tractor starter.

Edited by TorinoJambo
spelling

17 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

Ah Four Crown. There was a drink to put hairs on your chest. La soupe electrique. Liptons (forerunner to Wm Lows) had sherry whose name escapes me but we called it tractor starter.

Perhaps that was the famous QC Sherry?

Quality Counts!!

Harry Potter
On 09/08/2020 at 17:42, davemclaren said:

I remember Muirton in the early 80s when someone ( George Cowie? ) scored a wind assisted winning goal from our half. 

Some memory, 👍.

16 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Perhaps that was the famous QC Sherry?

Quality Counts!!

I think you may be right, though the name Spring Grove has entered my head.

Jingle Bells
On 11/08/2020 at 17:48, Jambo-Fox said:

Cheers Fox

It was always a bit of a concern that the rickety old bus was going to make it to the top of that hill.

Better than Darvel for sure, going the other way.

N Lincs Jambo
On 10/08/2020 at 09:45, jonnothejambo said:

The Perth Pack liked a wee rumble.

Muirton Park had one of the biggest playing surfaces, if not the biggest, in the country. 

I don't really recall many games there but I do recall being 'chased'.

Went to a midweek game at Muirton 81-82 season when I was a student at Dundee probably February I think. Travelled through by train with a Hearts fan from Stirling called George, a Saints fan (name escapes me but he was a good lad) and a Spurs fan called Pete who was going to his first game in Scotland. We were all around 18-19 at the time. Obviously a few scoops were had before the game 😂.

Anyway segregation in those days was just the old police line - no fences then. At half-time me and George decided we would go for a half-time chat with our SJ supporting mate so we walked through our part of the police line, across no-man’s-land and into their crowd. Bear in mind George and I had colours on. Pete, our Spurs supporting mate came with us but was absolutely shitting himself. Didn’t find him so after about 10 minutes crossed back into the Hearts support.

Things got a bit tasty in the second half as we blew an early lead and went 2–1 down. The Hearts support in those days didn’t take defeat too well and kicked off big style. 

At the end of the game about 20-30 Perth Pack, having waited in the ground for the main Hearts support to depart, decided to launch a charge. Despite us heading for the exits, George hears them coming after us, turns round and charges right back at them - on his own!!

Perth Pack actually shat it off him and retreated! No time nor respect for that mob 😂. Great night despite the result.