Oldham v Hearts Texaco Cup

otterjohn

My ever thoughtful wife has told me I have a present on the way.Its a match programme from the Texaco cup game 2nd leg between Oldham and Hearts

i was working For the Post Office in those days before it became BT. I took a days annual leave to travel down but only had the one day left so had to be back at work for 8 the 

next day. It may be that my brains been a bit pickled but can anyone else remember being in the Oldham Supporters Club after the game .The club was packed with jambos even standing on tables.The Hearts team walked in to a great ovasion but promptly turned and went back out again. That bit is definately true but im sure Drew Busby decided he was staying and joined in the party. Does anyone else have any recollection of that night

Cheers Otterjohn

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Yes, I was there!

No, I can't remember a thing!

If you cant remember a thing. How do you know you where there? 🤣

millerjames398

Long before my time, but im sure i read that some of our rowdier element got into the oldham end before the home fans got there before the match, think it was called takin their end...😂🇱🇻

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

His police record confirms it. 

Harry Potter
29 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

My ever thoughtful wife has told me I have a present on the way.Its a match programme from the Texaco cup game 2nd leg between Oldham and Hearts

i was working For the Post Office in those days before it became BT. I took a days annual leave to travel down but only had the one day left so had to be back at work for 8 the 

next day. It may be that my brains been a bit pickled but can anyone else remember being in the Oldham Supporters Club after the game .The club was packed with jambos even standing on tables.The Hearts team walked in to a great ovasion but promptly turned and went back out again. That bit is definately true but im sure Drew Busby decided he was staying and joined in the party. Does anyone else have any recollection of that night

Cheers Otterjohn

Aye 17th Sept 1974, Hearts lost 1-0 in front of a crowd of 11465.

Back to Tyne on the 30th of sept, score of 1-1 with a crowd of 10000.

heartmussel

Seem to remember our bus getting pulled up by the police after visiting a pub after the game, and they recovered quite a few momentos from said pub.Sure Goram was in goals for them,to be honest was one of these games where I had to read papers/ few phone calls to recall much of that day out.

2 minutes ago, heartmussel said:

Seem to remember our bus getting pulled up by the police after visiting a pub after the game, and they recovered quite a few momentos from said pub.Sure Goram was in goals for them,to be honest was one of these games where I had to read papers/ few phone calls to recall much of that day out.

No way Goram was in goals.

John Findlay
31 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

His police record confirms it. 

I forgot about that. Those men of the cloth....dark horses😉

Seymour M Hersh

I skipped off school to go to it. Seems to remember a few skirmishes in the ground but not an awful lot else. Can't remember a thing about the game.

SectionDJambo

I was in there. I remember John Cumming came in to get any Hearts players, who were still in there, to leave.

He ended up being equally mobbed by the Hearts fans, which didn’t help him on his mission.

Crap game and result, but that was a highlight.

thanks a million Section D Jambo that ties in with my recollection Im sure it was The Buzzbomb that was last to leave

There was a great support down that night

cheers

TorinoJambo

There was massive trouble. Dozens of Man Utd "red army" came up, originally to battle Hearts, saw the numbers and joined hearts fans fighting Oldham. My mate was lifted for nothing (somebody had jumped on a policemans back and he got grabbed). I followed him outside to plead his case, only to be asked if I wanted to join him. If not I was to eff off. Unbelievable.

heartmussel
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

No way Goram was in goals.

Probably right,but was he not originally Oldham?

29 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

There was massive trouble. Dozens of Man Utd "red army" came up, originally to battle Hearts, saw the numbers and joined hearts fans fighting Oldham. My mate was lifted for nothing (somebody had jumped on a policemans back and he got grabbed). I followed him outside to plead his case, only to be asked if I wanted to join him. If not I was to eff off. Unbelievable.

:laugh:

52 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

thanks a million Section D Jambo that ties in with my recollection Im sure it was The Buzzbomb that was last to leave

There was a great support down that night

cheers

I'm pretty sure Drew was the only player to come into the Social Club. When asked about the rest of the side, he replied

"Still up the road in the ground, scared to come down here" or words, slightly stronger, to that effect!!

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

John its like the expression if you remember the 60's you really weren't there

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I remember getting there. 

I remember the game, just! 

That's all folks!

willie wallace

I am sure the main reason Hearts fans were in the home end was because it was covered and it was lashing down.

I hope the town has improved since that game.

Arrived in Oldham early afternoon and the bus parked up at Boundary Park, we went into town.

Got back well before KO said to the stewards and police which end is which, they said this is the home end, to which we said aye ok we will go in there then, reply, ok lads on you go!

It was a great atmosphere but it did get a ‘little bit heated’!!

Straight back on bus after match (tbh I didn’t think we would get into the Oldham supporters club) so missed Busby after the match leading the singing!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

We took a bus down and I had organised a tour of Old Trafford in the afternoon. Pat Crerand, as he always was whenever i met him, a real gentleman and good company, unlike that arsehole of a manager that United had at that time who could barely be bothered to speak to us. On the walk to Boundary Park I was struck by the number of "For Sale" signs in the row of bungalows. Turned out that the team from Old Trafford, having been relegated, were due to play Oldham a few weeks later. The aforementioned carry on in the social club was, indeed, memorable.

5 minutes ago, vasco said:

We took a bus down and I had organised a tour of Old Trafford in the afternoon. Pat Crerand, as he always was whenever i met him, a real gentleman and good company, unlike that arsehole of a manager that United had at that time who could barely be bothered to speak to us. On the walk to Boundary Park I was struck by the number of "For Sale" signs in the row of bungalows. Turned out that the team from Old Trafford, having been relegated, were due to play Oldham a few weeks later. The aforementioned carry on in the social club was, indeed, memorable.

Just unbelievable that the manager of ManUre never took time out to greet and talk to visiting Jambos! Perhaps his mind was on a female conquest ....

9 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Just unbelievable that the manager of ManUre never took time out to greet and talk to visiting Jambos! Perhaps his mind was on a female conquest ....

He's up Mrs Brown, He,s up Mrs Brown.......