“Good enough for the Championship”

Diadora Van Basten

SomethingAboutObua

This is arguable the weakest Championship since its opening 2013-14 season, not that keen on pointless expensive players when guys like Dikamona would probably win Defender of the year by miles in this league.

I don't like talking down Scottish football and being over confident, and the Championship has consistently been the best league for competitiveness and excitement in Scotland since it began, but this year the best teams are no money Dundee, no money Inverness and barely full time Ayr United.

Hibs and Utd struggled because they had competitive teams in their leagues and got out when they were sole favourites. The gap between Hibs/Utd and the 2nd best team in their league winning seasons is still smaller than the gap between us and the next best team this season. 

We won the league against Rangers, Hibs, the best QoS team in years and a strong Falkirk side. Compare that to Covid Dundee who've had to slash wages and lose their best striker, Covid Inverness, and Covid everyone else? We don't need an unbeaten season to win this league, and I'd rather we signed as such.

52 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Certainly, our defence should be less porous. 

Hopefully won't be a strain or go off the boil. 

Seymour M Hersh

Maybe we should wait until we know who leaves and who comes in and how the team that Robbie puts together fares in the friendlies. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Maybe we should wait until we know who leaves and who comes in and how the team that Robbie puts together fares in the friendlies. 

The indicative value of pre-season friendlies will be as it almost always is - ZERO.  I think as long as there isn’t a sudden rush for the exit doors by our top half dozen remaining players, we’re good enough by miles to walk this league as we stand squad wise. All about application once the league starts for me

5 hours ago, David Black said:

The squad we have should go through the entire season undefeated in this league. We are head and shoulders above the rest put together. The other 9 clubs couldn't put a select team against us that had the same quality.

The squad we have also should not have been bottom or anywhere near bottom for most of last season on paper.

For the record though i do agree something wrong far wrong if we dont win the league.

6 hours ago, GinRummy said:

😀 no **** ever picks me up on typhoos while I’ve still got time to edit. 

Fixed that for you😉

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, David Black said:

The squad we have should go through the entire season undefeated in this league. We are head and shoulders above the rest put together. The other 9 clubs couldn't put a select team against us that had the same quality.

So how has our squad improved so much they should go.the entire season undefeated when last season it managed one win against the bottom six? How are we head and shoulders above the rest? Is the bottom half of the premiership.head and shoulders above  the top half of the Championship?

Frightening level.of over-confidence on here.

Edited by Francis Albert

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Is the bottom half of the premiership.head and shoulders above  the top half of the Championship?

Yes. In normal times that is the case, nevermind now.

Our team is good enough for the Championship.

::troll::

Can’t really see anyone being anywhere near us.

We will them away at the restart , already in training , most of the teams will leave their preseason until as late as possible to save money .

Also great to see the deadwood being moved along , although a few still to move . That will allow Robbie to start building the bones of the ready to be back in the SPFL 

David Black
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

So how has our squad improved so much they should go.the entire season undefeated when last season it managed one win against the bottom six? How are we head and shoulders above the rest? Is the bottom half of the premiership.head and shoulders above  the top half of the Championship?

Frightening level.of over-confidence on here.

Nope not over confidence, just an accurate assessment of what quality we have in this squad compared to others. I more than take your point as to our record against the other teams , but that was due to attitude. fitness and application, not to do with ability. If RN sorts that out and I am very confident he will, I will stick by my assessment. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, David Black said:

Nope not over confidence, just an accurate assessment of what quality we have in this squad compared to others. I more than take your point as to our record against the other teams , but that was due to attitude. fitness and application, not to do with ability. If RN sorts that out and I am very confident he will, I will stick by my assessment. 

Hope you are right. But it will take a huge transformation  from last season. Dundee United Rangers and Hibs have shown recently it is not that easy a league to get out of at the first attempt.

Good enough for the championship implies to me that its lower league players being bigged up..

We should have enough in the armoury to take of the championship regulars...

The "Good enough" chat is , for me, utter Old Firm shite. "We've got this because of who we are.. not ability..!".. 

Go out, get in, get the win .move on to the next one. 

No longer active
14 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

If we don’t get promoted this year it will be down to these five words.

I have a worry that we won’t get promoted this season, but not because of those 5 words; we will be streets ahead of all the Championship teams.

It will be for the very same reason we were ejected from the SPL this last season, Covid.

However this time there won’t be promotion or relegation because the SPFL will argue that you cannot call the league after 14 fixtures (for example), however they will dish out the prize money for Celtics 10th championship in a row won with a record low number of points. And during the subsequent SFA arbitration process which we will undoubtedly call for, once again strange logic will win and we will be confined to another year or maybe 3 whilst Covid comes and goes.

Where is that joining the English pyramid thread ?

We have the unique advantage this season that we have a virtual passport to a Scottish Cup final in late October.  That will stimulate the team to good league performances and a good run in the League Cup.

All looking pretty damned good.

Sadly, our owner will be more concerned about community work, taking a knee, rainbow laces, girls teams, hospitality, Hibs, digital inovation centres, the SFA, a stand, rainbows, pixies, unicorns, Harry Potter, yachts, butterflies and Juniper trees to concern herself with such pressing matters.

SpruceBringsteen

If we don't get promoted this season then we should voluntarily resign from world football.

Oh ****, Alloa. Have a word you ****ing cretin.

:laugh2:

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

The indicative value of pre-season friendlies will be as it almost always is - ZERO.  I think as long as there isn’t a sudden rush for the exit doors by our top half dozen remaining players, we’re good enough by miles to walk this league as we stand squad wise. All about application once the league starts for me

Friendlies are not worth zero and only strange people think that way. Managers will learn a lot about their squads from these games.  If they were as you the almighty one seem to think worth zero then teams wouldn't play them. Now for fans going along to watch that's (not that we'll be able to) a different conversation. 

Jeremy Goss

I think we’ll struggle. 

Don’t get over confidence here. We were abysmal last season.

Neilson needs to drastically improve home form and take care of tricky away ties at Dundee, ICT and Dunfermline.

We can’t afford to just show-up and win. We done that against so called lower opposition last season and ended up bottom.

Reliant on Haring staying fit but hopefully we can bring in another couple of centre mids. Having Gordon back will stabilise low in confidence defence.

40 minutes ago, Jeremy Goss said:

I think we’ll struggle. 

Neilson needs to drastically improve home form and take care of tricky away ties at Dundee, ICT and Dunfermline.

We can’t afford to just show-up and win. We done that against so called lower opposition last season and ended up bottom.

Reliant on Haring staying fit but hopefully we can bring in another couple of centre mids. Having Gordon back will stabilise low in confidence defence.

Make a prediction then.  I'll make mine.  We will win it by miles.

Jeremy Goss
9 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Make a prediction then.  I'll make mine.  We will win it by miles.

We’ll start slow but improve over the course of 27 games to win it by a couple of points. My point is it won’t be easy as some seem to think. Players need to be driven and well up for it.

that or the virus makes a return, football stopped and the fun and games with the SPFL board happens all over again.

19 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:. Berra has proven that he is more than able to deal with the championship, in fact - last season was the best defender in it bar none.. 

Berra best Defender? He only played 6 games!!

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Jeremy Goss said:

I think we’ll struggle. 

Ah yes ICT with Brad Mackay at the back, and Dundee with Jordan McGhee at the back. We will struggle to get any change out of top defenders like that. These guys are the best defenders in the championship clubs... you’ve now realised just how bad the level is.

grumpyespana
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Sadly, our owner will be more concerned about community work, taking a knee, rainbow laces, girls teams, hospitality, Hibs, digital inovation centres, the SFA, a stand, rainbows, pixies, unicorns, Harry Potter, yachts, butterflies and Juniper trees to concern herself with such pressing matters.

Nothing wrong with that i8hibsh lol thats why she has JJ and Robbie to run the football side of things lol.

21 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

We should win this without breaking sweat. 

Edited by Marvin

maroonlegions

As i predicted this thread is reeking..  FTH. 

We will ram this championship right back Spunkcastors sun dont shine. 

Harry Potter
22 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Should not be a problem, in robbie we trust.

Harry Potter
19 hours ago, jambopilms said:

This squad have been shite for years now, I don't see any reason to believe they are going to skoosh anything. I would rather have average players with a good attitude than good players with a shite attitude.

Why would this bunch who slept walked us in to last place suddenly be winners ?

Never understand this attitude carry on, they have a great job, should love their work.

20 hours ago, brux said:

This season is all about building and gelling a team for the spfl the following season 

Agree and their gelling period is skooshing this league.

I entirely disagree.

Players like Brandon, Garuccio, Irving, McDonald, Cochrane, Morrison, Moore and Henderson are all "good enough for the championship"

A year in the championship playing first team football may likely make them "good enough for the premiership".

I'd rather we let these youngsters play than bring in expensive replacements who are maybe not going to be good enough in a year's time.

Equally Berra may not be good enough for the premiership but his mentality is and will be useful next season.

2 minutes ago, Glottis said:

I entirely disagree.

Players like Brandon, Garuccio, Irving, McDonald, Cochrane, Morrison, Moore and Henderson are all "good enough for the championship"

A year in the championship playing first team football may likely make them "good enough for the premiership".

I'd rather we let these youngsters play than bring in expensive replacements who are maybe not going to be good enough in a year's time.

Equally Berra may not be good enough for the premiership but his mentality is and will be useful next season.

Good points. It’s probably unrealistic to expect us to sign players with a future with every signing but we simply have to cut down on journeyman type signings to see us through a season. The amount of average players we burn through is ridiculous.  

2 minutes ago, Glottis said:

A season in the Championship should give Berra the chance to rebuild his confidence again. His past injuries will always hinder him in the Premier but now he can get playing again and the pressure would have eased on him.

Johnny Sandiego
21 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Would like to believe I'm as fervent Hearts as they come and also balanced. 

Totally agree with OP really is now time to look for better and show the correct level of ambition. 

That is being a regular top 4 club over a decade, with maybe a couple of excellent ones and a couple of bang average. 

The 3rd biggest club in Scotland should never accept "good enough for the championship "

I think we are showing exactly the level of ambition that is required and more importantly affordable right now. Brining in a goalie was the single most important signing we needed and we went out and got as good as there is in Gordon.

We have/had the 4th biggest wage bill in Scotland last season and even if some have had cuts, we are still massively over what is sustainable for a 27 game season in the Championship.

We have no choice but to get rid of some high earners, get as much as we can out of under performers and hopefully progress some of the youngsters on the fringes of the first team.

That approach is nothing to do with the overall ambition of the club and everything to do with the circumstances we find ourselves in.

I would actually be more annoyed if we chucked money at the squad this season as i really beleive its not needed. We have a squad that will walk the league so lets just save the rebuild for when we are out of this mess and back in the Premier league.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

You forgot about getting rid of our bigots and folk that use sweary words. 

My daughter loves unicorns, when they about, she might come along to that? 

5 hours ago, Jeremy Goss said:

I think we’ll struggle. 

😂 Really! 

Pretty sure RN won’t share your concerns as the last time he managed us down there we SKOOSHED it, and created a points record. 

Fitba' broke my Heart

We have more than enough players to achieve our goals this year, that is why the club can release/sell players.

Winning comes down to creating a cohesive team something which is more than a sum of its parts.

We should only buy what we cannot achieve by coaching; which explains CG.

Bring in the youth, there is an academy blinking well use it.

I expect at least 3 academy players to feature in every game, substitutions included (time wasting subs in the last 2 minutes don't count as that's just patronising).

I want to see the club grow on the pitch, home grown!

Only Hearts.

One more striker but someone who can score plenty in the Championship. Speed real fast wide men to get the ball across the goals and score a few. Our squad needs pace going forward there’s no doubt about that.

Edited by mitch41

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

I think we are showing exactly the level of ambition that is required and more importantly affordable right now. Brining in a goalie was the single most important signing we needed and we went out and got as good as there is in Gordon.

We have/had the 4th biggest wage bill in Scotland last season and even if some have had cuts, we are still massively over what is sustainable for a 27 game season in the Championship.

We have no choice but to get rid of some high earners, get as much as we can out of under performers and hopefully progress some of the youngsters on the fringes of the first team.

That approach is nothing to do with the overall ambition of the club and everything to do with the circumstances we find ourselves in.

I would actually be more annoyed if we chucked money at the squad this season as i really beleive its not needed. We have a squad that will walk the league so lets just save the rebuild for when we are out of this mess and back in the Premier league.

And start again next year. No. Short sighted 

12 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Friendlies are not worth zero and only strange people think that way. Managers will learn a lot about their squads from these games.  If they were as you the almighty one seem to think worth zero then teams wouldn't play them. Now for fans going along to watch that's (not that we'll be able to) a different conversation. 

Chill yer jets pal. I wasn’t being almighty. I was giving an opinion about the indicative value of friendlies. I didn’t say friendlies themseleves were worth zero, clearly they’re not. Their main purpose is match fitness and system education. Losing them or winning them tells you nothing about how the season might go, in my almighty opinion.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Chill yer jets pal. I wasn’t being almighty. I was giving an opinion about the indicative value of friendlies. I didn’t say friendlies themseleves were worth zero, clearly they’re not. Their main purpose is match fitness and system education. Losing them or winning them tells you nothing about how the season might go, in my almighty opinion.

Whatever. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

And start again next year. No. Short sighted 

Not at all. Every team is keeping their squad slim in case things shut down again. We need a team that can get us out of the championship, that's all that matters. Football teams are no different from all the companies with a hiring freeze right now - filling essential positions only.

When there's a vaccine or at least more certainty and stability, eg with crowds back, all clubs including us will go on a signing spree.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not at all. Every team is keeping their squad slim in case things shut down again. We need a team that can get us out of the championship, that's all that matters. Football teams are no different from all the companies with a hiring freeze right now - filling essential positions only.

When there's a vaccine or at least more certainty and stability, eg with crowds back, all clubs including us will go on a signing spree.

I think you need to be ready for August 21 myself,  fail to prepare prepare to fail. 

I think we had plenty to begin with and this is a culling process largely, but let's not then go back and fill the ranks with yet more dross that needs clearing out for a Premier campaign 

• 8 months later...
Jambo 4 Ever
On 08/08/2020 at 15:20, JimmyCant said:

Man for man, player by player, the squad is NOT shite. As a collective it’s attitude has been shite. Very good individual players have also not had the right attitude. The coaching and tactics have been archaic, disjointed and ever changing. Some players train only when they fancy it and it fits in. The injuries have been horrendous, especially muscle injuries which to me points the finger at the overall fitness levels. The youth players are reaching a level and not progressing beyond it. Some of the signings and contracts have been ludicrous. Pace, width and goalkeeping has been an issue for nearly 3 years. Coaching and manager appointments have been repeatedly proved to be the wrong choice.

Loads of issues if we were a premiership club, not so many as a championship club and a full year to put it right.

I’m not sure we will go through the championship unbeaten but I’d be astonished and very concerned if we don’t win it by at least 12 points.

Still a chance of winning by 12

5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Still a chance of winning by 12

Interesting bump in general but you’re at it again.