Going solo

skwif1

Thinking of returning to our castle next term  and getting a season ticket in either the new or Wheatfield Stand. My main problem is I will be on my own. How many supporters on here go solo to Tynecastle for home games? Any advice on where to go for a good seat?, I dont want too rowdy but I want a spot with a bit of life.  Any help/advice will be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

I’ve been on my own off and on a few seasons over the years. Would recommend it. No nippy bairns or moaning mates to contend with. 

highlandjambo3
12 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I only get to a few games a season, and 90% of the time I'm on my own.

I enjoy myself just as much as when I'm with someone - I still get pished in The Diggers first and just talk to anyone who will tolerate me.

I try to get a ticket for upper G, side nearest to F.

So, that was you was it 😉

BackOfTheNet

Have always had a ST next to someone I know, however certain circumstances can mean I end up at a game on my own (last minute issues, no time to ask anyone else if they want ticket etc) and to be quite honest I enjoy it. Not sure if I’d enjoy it for every game, but I like the not having to rely/wait on someone else. (Been a few times I wasn’t driving and my lift wanted to leave 5 mins early, which irritates) So you have freedom in that respect. Personally I would say get yourself a seat with a great view. If you’re there yourself your chat is sometimes limited so seeing the match from a better viewpoint helps. (Over the years I’ve had behind goals, front row pitch side, In Wheatfield and Main but to the side as well as more central - some of the cheaper seats may save you money but particularly when on your own you can miss certain things from certain angles and there’s no one you know next to you to ask if they saw what you didn’t, by chance) A plus will be there’s likely to be some really great seats with vantage points available if you’re only looking for one seat than if you had to look for 2, 3 etc.

I’ve been going on my own since the sons found different priorities for their money (or lack of it) I sit in D lower and over time got to know the folk around me , at the start it was like watching a game in a pub where your not a local, make comments and cheer but don’t make contentious comments.

13 hours ago, skwif1 said:

Thinking of returning to our castle next term  and getting a season ticket in either the new or Wheatfield Stand. My main problem is I will be on my own. How many supporters on here go solo to Tynecastle for home games? Any advice on where to go for a good seat?, I dont want too rowdy but I want a spot with a bit of life.  Any help/advice will be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Hi skwif1, I am also going to Tynecastle next season, also travelling and attending alone, my philosophy is also get to know a few fans sitting in the same section, in my case G, and support the team and show your colours with pride. At the end of the day it's one very large Jambos Family so don't worry about going on your own cos you won't be on your own. HHGH Only 💕 and **** the rest! Terry. 

Edited by CARDIFFBOY

13 hours ago, skwif1 said:

I go solo and I love it. It's good getting to know other ST holders round about you as well.

I’m the dullest football supporter in the world. Go on my own. Don’t drink before or after. Go mental for 90 minutes. Go home.

Occasionally speak to folk next to us and try to not hear the couple of spangles who sit behind us.

Cant wait for October 🤪

I have had the dilemma of sitting in the opposite teams section to save money.

Never went through with it though.

Just be wary of the big breasted lady.

I also go solo with me and my two mates. Never utter a word and go off my head when we score. I like to keep a low profile these days, especially on the supporters bus when I also fly solo but go mental on away days... especially fester 😉

will-i-am-a-jambo

To the OP, I went solo for a couple of seasons, was good getting to know other season ticket holders. It's not something to worry about.

Thanks to all responders. I had a ST (Gorgie Stand) before but had the kids in tow, now they are grown up and can't go as they have youngsters of their own.  So I am flying solo for the first time in years.  

I badly miss the atmosphere and the game experience.  I also miss being able to let off some steam.  I have not seen the new stand (in person) and I am looking forward to that.

I am fairly chatty so dont think I will have too much bother, and I promise not to bring a glove puppet.  Thanks again for all your tips and all going well see you all in October.

HHGH

I go on my own all the time.  Means that I can concentrate on getting to the match in my own time rather than having to wait, or pick someone up, or any of the other nonsense that usually happens last minute. 

People around me in G were pretty sound, and you get used to the faces around you. Usually just someone to moan about things to, but it's decent enough :lol:

Just now, tian447 said:

I go on my own all the time.  Means that I can concentrate on getting to the match in my own time rather than having to wait, or pick someone up, or any of the other nonsense that usually happens last minute. 

People around me in G were pretty sound, and you get used to the faces around you. Usually just someone to moan about things to, but it's decent enough :lol:

Same as me. 

Always go on my own these days. Used to go with my uncle when he came up from Leicester way to visit my mum but since she's buggered off to Yorkshire the Scotland visits have dried up! 

On my own I can please myself time wise, pub wise and train wise. 

Being on your own doesn't mean you can't be sociable in the pub or with those, around you at the game. Generally keep myself to myself but willing to chat to amiable folk... 

Live in livingston so usually back for half sevenish, chinky and few drinks with wife. Hopefully happy after a win.. 👍👍🍻🍻

been here before
22 minutes ago, skwif1 said:

Thanks to all responders. I had a ST (Gorgie Stand) before but had the kids in tow, now they are grown up and can't go as they have youngsters of their own.  So I am flying solo for the first time in years.  

I badly miss the atmosphere and the game experience.  I also miss being able to let off some steam.  I have not seen the new stand (in person) and I am looking forward to that.

I am fairly chatty so dont think I will have too much bother, and I promise not to bring a glove puppet.  Thanks again for all your tips and all going well see you all in October.

HHGH

Thats exactly what you should do. Talk to it throughout the game. Do that thing Mathew Corbett used to do with Sooty when Sooty spoke in his ear then turn to the folk next to you amd say things like 'Tambo the Jambo says Olly Lee's pish... Berras past it...Tambo says its a ****in Hearts corner you cheating ****s'. Get him a tiny wee Hearts scarf to wear and wave about... do the Hey Jude/Jam Tarts twirly just the 2 of you..

Be priceless watching the folk around you.

Edited by been here before

J.T.F.Robertson
5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Thats exactly what you should do. Talk to it throughout the game. Do that thing Mathew Corbett used to do with Sooty when Sooty spoke in his ear then turn to the folk next to you amd say things like 'Tambo the Jambo' says Olly Lee's pish... Berras past it...Tambo says its a ****in Hearrs corner you cheating ****s'. Get him a tiny wee Hearts scarf to wear and wave about...

Maybe organise a first goalscorer Sweep tae?

maroonlegions

You can meet a lot of drinking buddies at games, recognizing those faces that sit next to you or near you can be productive if you see them in the boozer too.  FTH.

Make sure to bring a drum. You will find lots of people interacting with you if you do so you won't feel lonely. 👍

I go on my own after my nephew got too old to go with his Aunty. Have family I see before game there in a different stand tho. Got to know the arseholes round me. Didn't bother me at all...

18 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I’m the dullest football supporter in the world. Go on my own. Don’t drink before or after. Go mental for 90 minutes. Go home.

Occasionally speak to folk next to us and try to not hear the couple of spangles who sit behind us.

Cant wait for October 🤪

😄😄😄

14 hours ago, been here before said:

Thats exactly what you should do. Talk to it throughout the game. Do that thing Mathew Corbett used to do with Sooty when Sooty spoke in his ear then turn to the folk next to you amd say things like 'Tambo the Jambo says Olly Lee's pish... Berras past it...Tambo says its a ****in Hearts corner you cheating ****s'. Get him a tiny wee Hearts scarf to wear and wave about... do the Hey Jude/Jam Tarts twirly just the 2 of you..

20200809_083035.jpg

• 1 month later...

There is (or was) a proggy on children's tv and one of the characters would only talk via a ventriloquist dummy.  That would be hilarious but I dont have the nerve to do it. 

Gorgie Boot boy
On 07/08/2020 at 23:55, skwif1 said:

Read the terms conditions GUARANTEE  first mate, you would not want to suffer Jambo Seethe during restrictions.

On 08/08/2020 at 08:46, kila said:

You’ll get to know the folk around you. Unless they are arseholes in which case you can move seats again, during the season. 

This.  I have a ticket with my stepdaughters, but 1 of them doesn’t bother now and the younger one only makes it to a few games a season so I’m on my own with 3 seats most weeks.  You’ll get to know the folk around you better than most of your pals if you see them every fortnight.  

On 07/08/2020 at 23:55, skwif1 said:

I go on my own, Section R until a couple of seasons ago then I shifted to D. Better view and less far to walk home. Folk around me are sound apart and there's a kid behind me who kicks my seat back all game - kept me awake when Levein was manager.

Gorgie Boot boy
On 09/08/2020 at 08:38, Wee Mikey said:

20200809_083035.jpg

On 08/08/2020 at 00:19, Gone said:

as long as you don't show up with a hand puppet you will be fine

Get him signed pronto. 

10 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Get him signed pronto. 

Certainly didn't help that day! 1-2 v Sevco iirc. The number of ineffective 'lucky mascots' I have gracing my collection is equalled only by the number of disappointing players signed over the last few seasons. Never mind; I live in hope more more than expectation although I tend to agree with your optimism for this season (should the games come to pass) seeing as the team now assembled really ought to skoosh it.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Get him signed pronto. 

I was wondering why you had chosen that as a photo 👍🏽👏🏾😆

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

This.  I have a ticket with my stepdaughters, but 1 of them doesn’t bother now and the younger one only makes it to a few games a season so I’m on my own with 3 seats most weeks.  You’ll get to know the folk around you better than most of your pals if you see them every fortnight.  

That’s not always a good thing, the folk that sit and stand around me cross the street when the see me in the real world 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈🤪🤬👿😡.

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Certainly didn't help that day! 1-2 v Sevco iirc. The number of ineffective 'lucky mascots' I have gracing my collection is equalled only by the number of disappointing players signed over the last few seasons. Never mind; I live in hope more more than expectation although I tend to agree with your optimism for this season (should the games come to pass) seeing as the team now assembled really ought to skoosh it.

I have my own collection of ritual tokens i have lovingly worshiped gave grace to my scarf hat and jacket, to be useless. The only Hearts bit of retro ive never took to a Hearts game as luck, is a jam tarts cushion i have had since the early 70s has a maroon frill around the edge. I often feel i am the bad luck, a nearly man all my days.

Gorgie Boot boy
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was wondering why you had chosen that as a photo 👍🏽👏🏾😆

I had to have it though, sums me up to a T.

On 08/08/2020 at 07:07, sassenach said:

I only get to a few games a season, and 90% of the time I'm on my own.

I enjoy myself just as much as when I'm with someone - I still get pished in The Diggers first and just talk to anyone who will tolerate me.

I try to get a ticket for upper G, side nearest to F.

Excellent philosophy. I don’t often go on my own, but I think I enjoy it just as much when I do. The Diggers is just a great pub for talking to random people.

When I go for a pint before the game I get my son to drop me of at Grays Mill . Decent pint of Carling and a reasonable price, got chatting to the locals a few times, usually get a seat no bother if I’m in early.

1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I have my own collection of ritual tokens i have lovingly worshiped gave grace to my scarf hat and jacket, to be useless. The only Hearts bit of retro ive never took to a Hearts game as luck, is a jam tarts cushion i have had since the early 70s has a maroon frill around the edge. I often feel i am the bad luck, a nearly man all my days.

How long have you been transitioning?

Gorgie Boot boy
19 minutes ago, JohnB said:

How long have you been transitioning?

Explain in what way do you think i am transitioning ?

been here before
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I go solo.. have 2 tickets but 99% of the time unused

I thought youd have about 600 odd tickets. All of them Super Platinum Premier Plus.

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Explain in what way do you think i am transitioning ?

Lighten up mate - it was nothing more than an attempted joke -  just a play on your words "a nearly man". Sorry if it upset you.

Edited by JohnB

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, JohnB said:

Lighten up mate - it was nothing more than an attempted joke -  just a play on your words "a nearly man". Sorry if it upset you.

Not my intention to make you feel like that, I was wondering what i was transitioning from into. As i have got possibilities on all fronts. Ah the loser tag lurcing in the back ground. I currently have a winners tag as i have a lot to accomplish. So i am transitioning into success. Be lucky.

On 17/09/2020 at 17:11, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I had to have it though, sums me up to a T.

You might be happy to know that that wee fella's 1st outing as a 'lucky mascot' was a beautiful sunny day at Hampden on 13th April 2019 when we stuffed ICT 3-0.

Talking of which, the recently departed Uche did the biz, as did oor Bobby Zlamal with a top-class save from a free kick; plus Souttar firing one in at the back post; and a sublime Clare pen (that Uche won for us). It wasn't ALL bad last season. 😉

20200924_233200.jpg

Edited by Wee Mikey

On 17/09/2020 at 18:48, jamboozy said:

When I go for a pint before the game I get my son to drop me of at Grays Mill . Decent pint of Carling and a reasonable price, got chatting to the locals a few times, usually get a seat no bother if I’m in early.

no such thing