Hearts v celtic - League Cup - August 1975

A Shoreditch Heart

A Shoreditch Heart

bit of light relief - I just bought this little beauty in an East London market today for 50p. I wasn't allowed to go  'cause I was a kid and it was celtic, but it was great result. I went to the Roda JC friendly the week before, but we also played the Arsenal a couple of days later and I can't remember it. We started the season well and our team was great - memories?

Bobby Prentice.png

Just now, A Shoreditch Heart said:

bit of light relief - I just bought this little beauty in an East London market today for 50p. I wasn't allowed to go  'cause I was a kid and it was celtic, but it was great result. I went to the Roda JC friendly the week before, but we also played the Arsenal a couple of days later and I can't remember it. We started the season well and our team was great - memories?

Bobby Prentice.png

I remember the Roda friendly , it was a beautiful summer evening IIRC.

And also the Arsenal game. 

I was absolutely not allowed to go to this game - lost of violence at Celtic games back then. 

We won 2-0 that night Stevie Hancock and Donald Ford scoring, unsurprisingly Celtic won the section , as for starting the season well we lost 1-0 in the season opener at Easter Road, Joe Harper scoring

We did reach the cup final after countless replays against Clyde Montrose and Dumbarton, we didn’t turn up for the cup final on a horrible day against Rangers in May

We all like to look through maroon coloured glasses sometimes, but there is no disputing the fact Hearts were awful in the 70s

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

:thumbsup:

Pedant alert.

We beat Clyde 3-1 without a replay.

Cruicky got concussed and wee Fordy went in goals.:vrwow:

Nope sorry that was 1974

we played Clyde en route to 1976 final and required a replay at Shawfield

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, jbee647 said:

Nope sorry that was 1974

we played Clyde en route to 1976 final and required a replay at Shawfield

:facepalm::oopsoops:

Clyde isn't ringing a bell.

Vividly remember 74.

Tommy Brown

Early 73/74 was a great time.

Humping Hibs 4-1, Rangers at Ibrox 3-0. Buzzbomb, Prentice, Cant.

Beating Everton at Goodison and over 2 legs.

Not sure where it peetered out?

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Early 73/74 was a great time.

Humping Hibs 4-1, Rangers at Ibrox 3-0. Buzzbomb, Prentice, Cant.

Beating Everton at Goodison and over 2 legs.

Not sure where it peetered out?

Drew 0-0 with Dumbarton at Tynecastle, lost 3-0 to a fantastic Burnley side in the Texaco Cup , lost 3-1 to Celtic at home then hammered 5-0 at Turf Moor in the return leg, season over in 14 days

Edited by jbee647

33 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

We won 2-0 that night Stevie Hancock and Donald Ford scoring, unsurprisingly Celtic won the section , as for starting the season well we lost 1-0 in the season opener at Easter Road, Joe Harper scoring

We did reach the cup final after countless replays against Clyde Montrose and Dumbarton, we didn’t turn up for the cup final on a horrible day against Rangers in May

We all like to look through maroon coloured glasses sometimes, but there is no disputing the fact Hearts were awful in the 70s

The 70s was a difficult time for Hearts fans I think we only

beat hibs twice in that decade 

It’s always surprising where old football programs turn up

think we only beat them once in the 70s the game after the 7-0 defeat 

Edited by Hairdryer
Amendment

davemclaren
1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

I see Stevie Hancock regularly as he drinks in my local - or did before Covid. A Hibs supporter but loves football in general. Tells some great stories about his time at Hearts, and his other clubs, after a drink or two. 

HillmanHearts

Agree we’ were a bit pish generally in the mid 70s but there was some good drama. The three games v Montrose were fecken mental.

Late Shuggy equaliser at Montrose, limping Don Murray and scraping a 2 - 2 in the replay at Tynie, the Ralph Callaghan screamer in extra time at Muirton Park to win in the 2nd replay.  Was just a youngster but was at all three and loved it. 

1 hour ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

bit of light relief - I just bought this little beauty in an East London market today for 50p.

FS mate you’ve been done, it was only 10p on the day😉

I know a lot of our support thought it was pretty miserable in the 70’s but it was the early 70’s I fell in love with HMFC.

My best pal was the nephew of the Hearts PR man at the time, Ian Scott.

He was mascot that day, and led out the team holding the hand of Steve Hancock.

davemclaren

The 70s were a poor time to be a Hearts supporter but hopefully the defiance we had then is coming back now. I remember discussing with another supporter, about 78, whether we would have real success ever again. Three cup wins since then.  

Keep the faith. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Three cup wins since then.  

Keep the faith. 

Your wine is as good as my wine, Dave!  :cheers:

The Hearts will be back, Hibs will remain in the gutter.

A Shoreditch Heart
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I see Stevie Hancock regularly as he drinks in my local - or did before Covid. A Hibs supporter but loves football in general. Tells some great stories about his time at Hearts, and his other clubs, after a drink or two. 

I always thought that Stevie Hancock scored both goals that night

Doctor FinnBarr
36 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Thats what I thought, I was on holiday in Bridlington at the time and didn't know the result til I went out to buy my old mans paper the following morning.

davemclaren
42 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Sorry, can’t remember. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Doctor FinnBarr
14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sorry, can’t remember. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Perhaps a sober/responsible adult could check London Hearts. Thats not me by the way, loused at 10, off for the weekend, I'm belting into it now.

Hackney Hearts
13 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Perhaps a sober/responsible adult could check London Hearts. 

Steve Hancock 15; Donald Ford pen 73

Jingle Bells
4 hours ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Bobby Prentice.png

Howdy Doody Jambo

This would be the same Hancock that scored for Forfar when they beat us 1-0 at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup late 70s maybe I vaguely remember 

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

This would be the same Hancock that scored for Forfar when they beat us 1-0 at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup late 70s maybe I vaguely remember 

Correct. 

Jingle Bells
4 hours ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Bobby Prentice.png

Whoops!

Alan Ball played keepy-uppy in front of the Shed and got to live.

Think it was 0-2 but could be wrong.

Doctor FinnBarr
33 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Whoops!

Alan Ball played keepy-uppy in front of the Shed and got to live.

Think it was 0-2 but could be wrong.

I was at the Roda and Arsenal games, can't actually remember the result of the Arsenal game but I seem to remember Ball being awfy pissed off with the shed shouting Alan in squeaky voices.

Jingle Bells
14 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I was at the Roda and Arsenal games, can't actually remember the result of the Arsenal game but I seem to remember Ball being awfy pissed off with the shed shouting Alan in squeaky voices.

He was getting a lot of stick. Might have been Brian Hornsby that scored for them. Thats about all can I remember.

Think we beat Roda 1-0

I was at all three games mentioned.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

He was getting a lot of stick. Might have been Brian Hornsby that scored for them. Thats about all can I remember.

Think we beat Roda 1-0

I was at all three games mentioned.

I thought Roda was 0-0, could be and might be wrong, it was a wee while ago.

Jingle Bells
4 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I thought Roda was 0-0, could be and might be wrong, it was a wee while ago.

Your right, Roda was 0-0

Arsenal was 0-2

Just looked both up on Wiki

Being half right is better than the norm these days!

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, Jingle Bells said:

Your right, Roda was 0-0

Arsenal was 0-2

Just looked both up on Wiki

Being half right is better than the norm these days!

Aye, I'm happy wi that mate.

:flag1:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

People will look back on the tennies as Hearts being shit. 

A decade salvaged by one day. 

But what a day

:jjockio:

3fingersreid
10 hours ago, Morgan said:

Your wine is as good as my wine, Dave!  :cheers:

The Hearts will be back, Hibs will remain in the gutter.

When did they upgrade to the gutter? I’ve always believed they lived down in the sivers 

SectionDJambo

The 70s weren't good for us, but we still had some memorable victories along the way. Promised much, at times, but always disappointed us in the end. The team had a way of building up our hopes, only to crash. Some fairly big home attendances at times of thinking optimistically.

The change to a 10 team top league found us out, after managing to squeak our way into it, during the qualifying season. The late 70s were a period which a club of Hearts potential, should never hsve fallen into. A completely inept board who clung to power as long as they could, almost to the cost of Hearts' existence.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

The 70s weren't good for us, but we still had some memorable victories along the way. Promised much, at times, but always disappointed us in the end. The team had a way of building up our hopes, only to crash. Some fairly big home attendances at times of thinking optimistically.

The change to a 10 team top league found us out, after managing to squeak our way into it, during the qualifying season. The late 70s were a period which a club of Hearts potential, should never hsve fallen into. A completely inept board who clung to power as long as they could, almost to the cost of Hearts' existence.

The 70s was an embarrassing time to support hearts we lost a lot of the fan base that decade and sadly never got them all back

A Shoreditch Heart
9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Correct. 

uuuurgh, that was the lowest of the low - 1982 if I remember and it was Alex McDonald's first game in charge I think 

davemclaren
1 minute ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

uuuurgh, that was the lowest of the low - 1982 if I remember and it was Alex McDonald's first game in charge I think 

I think he had been interim manager for a few months but was confirmed as the final whistle blew.

I missed that match as I was in bed with flu and was listening to updates on the radio. Didn’t make me feel any better. 

18 minutes ago, Crete said:

The 70s was an embarrassing time to support hearts we lost a lot of the fan base that decade and sadly never got them all back

I wasn't aware we lost a lot of

Our fan base and never got them back 

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

We lost a lot more in the 60s to be fair, as did most teams. The dynamics of attendances are different nowadays with less peaks and troughs depending on who we are playing. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We lost a lot more in the 60s to be fair, as did most teams. The dynamics of attendances are different nowadays with less peaks and troughs depending on who we are playing. 

Yes I must agree the same happened to most teams

Nowadays its different as the average supporter purchases a season ticket as going back season tickets where not a big thing

5 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Yes I must agree the same happened to most teams

Nowadays its different as the average supporter purchases a season ticket as going back season tickets where not a big thing

It was before my time, but I think the big societal changes of the time saw big drops from the huge attendances of the 50s/60s. Back then a lot of men worked on a Saturday morning and of course pubs were shut in the afternoon. Few people had cars, so what are you going to do?

For us brought up in the yo-yo years, if someone had told me then we would often get over 17 thousand for run of the mill league games against Hamilton or Motherwell, I wouldn't have believed them.

Robbo-Jambo

Vaguely mind sitting in St John's Road with pals giving all the Mhanks buses the fingers as they were going through 😊

A Shoreditch Heart
1 hour ago, Crete said:

no, I disagree mate - sure it was awful at times, but never "embarrassing". That walk down Wardlaw Street at quarter to 3 on a Saturday to the noise and the smell of booze 'n fags on Gorgie Road was magical to us kids in the early '70's. The walk back up at quarter to 5 was usually not so good, but never ever "embarrassing" 

6 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

no, I disagree mate - sure it was awful at times, but never "embarrassing". That walk down Wardlaw Street at quarter to 3 on a Saturday to the noise and the smell of booze 'n fags on Gorgie Road was magical to us kids in the early '70's. The walk back up at quarter to 5 was usually not so good, but never ever "embarrassing" 

For the original poster to say embarrassing to support hearts is not a true supporter

1 hour ago, Hairdryer said:

This combined with the last day defeat by Kilmarnock did a lot of damage, I read that our average crowds in 1960 were approximately 21,00, by 1970 it had dropped to 9,500, by 1980 they were around the 6000 mark, dark desperate days, at that time had we won twice at Easter Road , knocked Rangers out the cup  and reached two semi finals and finished 12th (18 team league then) it would be considered a half decent campaign 

Edited by jbee647

A Shoreditch Heart
9 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

This combined with the last day defeat by Kilmarnock did a lot of damage, I read that our average crowds in 1960 were approximately 21,00, by 1970 it had dropped to 9,500, by 1980 they were around the 6000 mark, dark desperate days, at that time had we won twice at Easter Road , knocked Rangers out the cup  and reached two semi finals and finished 12th (18 team league then) it would be considered a half decent campaign 

the Forfar cup tie debacle that Dave mentioned above in 1982 - there was 5,500 there. Our next home league game the Saturday after was against Q of TS - 2,600 brave souls attended - different times

Harry Potter

Might have been trouble in the shed that day, we were in the corner and the celtic fans under the refreshment 

board.☹️.  Won 2-0 , 19000 there.

Edited by Harry Potter

John Findlay

We lost a few supporters due to us being proper mini huns in the 70s. My dad being one for starters. He hated all that shite, like me, with a passion.

davemclaren
48 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Dave is that the same Stevie Hancock that scored the goal when Forfar knocked us out at Tynie ? 

Wasn't the crowd around 4 or 5 thousand for that match ? 

Goodness me we were utter mince back then.

Yip, the same one. Played for Celtic Leicester, us and Forfar iirc. 

18 hours ago, jbee647 said:

We were - the Texaco Cup was the only saving grace.