Pro cycling returns......and so do the crashes!

Cade

Also EF have new outfits for the Giro so their pink doesn’t clash with the leader. Designed by Palace and Rapha, Palace being a skateboard company. The bike design is equally mental. I like it but I imagine a few people getting the rage. And just wait until you see the TT helmets!! 

3C71F666-A414-4F85-9069-C1C9F48DC0B0.jpeg

Edited by Tazio

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Cade

• Boof

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Also EF have new outfits for the Giro so their pink doesn’t clash with the leader.

I like the idea of the jersey-holders being instantly recognisable in either a peloton or mass sprint.

JV were a bit too yellow for me in Le Tour. I know it's a slightly different shade...

Even Mitchelton Scott with their yellow shoulders had me double-taking occasionally.

As expected winner on the opening TT, Thomas pretty well placed in the final results and a lot of the GC contenders losing a lot of time. 
Sadly Miguel Angel Lopez taken off the course in an ambulance after a crash. If you crash in a TT it tends to be a bad one. No updates on his condition but he out the race. And amazingly one rider has managed to miss the time cut coming in over 7 minutes behind the winner. 
Winner’s name in spoiler. 

Spoiler

Ganna took the stage, a week after winning the world championship, he’s a machine in TT. 

Edited by Tazio

Officially confirmed now, hip injury apparently. He hit a bump as he was shifting between bars, those TT bikes really are tricky to ride as they’re so narrow. 

Weird looking crash and a nasty one.  

Looks like maybe he got a flat front on a straight and that got the wheel wobbling.

Faceplanted a barrier. 

Luckily as it was a TT his team car was right with him at the time and he got attention immediately.

I watched the David Millar Time Trial program. Artistically produced but finished in a bit of a weird style. Some moments were like 2001 Space Odyssey but on a bike. I’m sure it will be well received in certain circles.  

8 minutes ago, SecN said:

I watched the David Millar Time Trial program. Artistically produced but finished in a bit of a weird style. Some moments were like 2001 Space Odyssey but on a bike. I’m sure it will be well received in certain circles.  

Yes, it is very David Millar the whole thing. I like him as he’s a fascinating character but understand he’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Great commentator though as he explains tactics and what you’re watching, and about to watch, so clearly. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

#51 Peter Sagan to win today's Giro stage. 

Mathieu Van Der Poel to win Leige Bastogne Leige. 

I’d be astonished if Van Der Poel won it after his 50k breakaway and victory in the Binck-Bank yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I’d be astonished if Van Der Poel won it after his 50k breakaway and victory in the Binck-Bank yesterday. 

:P

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ah, I didn't watch that. 

I'll get my coat. 

Hard to predict it today as the stage finishes on a small climb so not one for the classic sprinters. It all depends how hot they hit the final section. 

Nibali has got to be up for the Giro now but I wouldn’t put it past an outsider to win either. The cycling has been bat shit crazy this year.

Edited by heartyhub

This years bike races continue to astound with bizarre accidents and injuries. I saw the riders on the ground at the end of the stage but no explanation was given, now it’s clear. Hopefully the “broken back” isn’t as bad as it sounds. 

Giro d’Italia rider taken to hospital with multiple injuries after ‘helicopter blows barriers into road’ https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/54441571

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Ganna's having one hell of a season.

Thank Christ someone else has posted, I was starting to think I was the only person interested in racing outside the TdF. 
An amazing ride from Ganna today, especially as he’s essentially a rookie in road racing. With that strength he could become a great rider in the spring classics and monuments. 

6 hours ago, Tazio said:

Thank Christ someone else has posted, I was starting to think I was the only person interested in racing outside the TdF. 
An amazing ride from Ganna today, especially as he’s essentially a rookie in road racing. With that strength he could become a great rider in the spring classics and monuments. 

Only able to catch highlights due to work. I thought I heard one of the Eurosport lads mention someone with a broken pelvis but can't find any news via Google. Has there been someone get crocked (in the pelvic department) this Giro?

9 minutes ago, Boof said:

Only able to catch highlights due to work. I thought I heard one of the Eurosport lads mention someone with a broken pelvis but can't find any news via Google. Has there been someone get crocked (in the pelvic department) this Giro?

Geraint Thomas.

3 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Geraint Thomas.

Jaysus! Very nasty.

All I could find was a Daily Telegraph article from 2013 about him fracturing his pelvis. I thought I caught the commentator saying his name but wasn't sure. Bummer for him.

Crosswinds causing havoc today.

Echelons all over the place and riders having to work really hard to re-establish contact right from the start.

:yas:

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Paris-Roubaix cancelled :sob:

Baws. A Roubaix with autumn weather was one of the few bonuses of all this schedule disruption. 

Arnaud Demare is behaving like prime Cavendish on this Giro. Worryingly Sagan didn’t look like he was going 100% on that sprint once he realised how strong Demare was today. I hope he’s not going for the plan of Demare struggling to get over the mountains later on in the race as the TdF proved that’s a flawed tactic. 

Sagan's not been right all season.

The lack of winter training and his usual annual routine of warm up races is away to pot.

Half expecting the Vinokourov crash of 2011 to make it into that list.

Him and most of his team missed a corner on a descent and ended up in the woods.

He ended up with a cracked femur.

Announced his retirement from pro cycling soon after.

But he did carry on for another year after his rehab went better than expected.

Edited by Cade

The Abdoujaparov on the Champs is the famous one, and of course the policeman in the sprint. Stupid tit was taking a photo of the riders coming towards him. Even though he leapt back to his feet he actually had a broken leg from the impact. 
The 1st crash with Jens Vogt even though it looked innocuous was actually a really bad one with a lot of injuries to him. Including horribly scraping along the road on his face. What you can’t see is that he’d crashed not long before as well. 

Edited by Tazio

The boy that won the Giro stage yesterday...did I see it right?

Did he just stop and fall sideways - as part of his traditional celebration?

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

A horrible day out in Italy.

Dreich.

Cold, wet and minging.

Miserable weather for a slow day with lots of climbing. Good practice for the mountain stages in the north. Lots of potential for absolute misery up there. 

It could be worse though. I’ve just had a look at the mountain bike World Cup downhill from Austria. Thick mud all the way down the track and snowing at the top of it. 

Cavendish just said after the finish of Gent-Wevelgem that it could be his last ever race. I think that would be a good move for him, he’s never fully recovered from the Epstein- Barr illness. 

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

It could be worse though. I’ve just had a look at the mountain bike World Cup downhill from Austria. Thick mud all the way down the track and snowing at the top of it. 

A great win in the mens elite by Reece Wilson of Scotland 

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Motorbike in the middle of the peloton hits Viviani from behind going round a roudabout

:vrface:

Very poor, these bike riders are supposed to have special training about how to navigate the riders. Didn’t help another rider seemed to push him over afterwards. The 3 wheeled bikes are used as they are supposed to be safer as they can come to a standstill or go very slowly if needed. 

Moto should have pulled over to the side of the road at the outer edge of the roundabout and let the peloton pass.

Thankfully they were all going slow as it was a hairpin pinch point right after the roundabout.