Pro cycling returns......and so do the crashes!

Cade

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Cade

• Boof

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If, and it’s a big if, he was to do it you’ll have watched the most dramatic win since Lemond beat Fignon on the last day of the tour. 
I’d love him to do it so I’ve probably cursed him. 

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

He probably won't do it, but the Richie Porte battle for 3rd as well is making this quite an interesting TT.

Looks like I cancelled the curse. ;)

22 hours ago, Tazio said:

So the main thing I decided when I was out for a wee 20km spin after today’s stage is this. 
Pogacar in Roglic’s team, wins the tour.

Roglic in Pogacar’s team, top 10 in the tour. 

Roglic’s first stage without his bodyguards today. 

Quite simply one of the most astonishing things I’ve ever watched live in sport. Roglic was gone completely at the end of that, body shape gone, helmet not on his head properly, total exhaustion but nothing he could do. 
The poor guy must feel like the world has ended. 

How the feck did he manage a time 1 minute 21 seconds faster than Dumoulin's?!!!

In the olden days, folk would be suspecting drugs straight away with a performance like that.

Well done that man!

Edit: And to Richie Porte!

Edited by redjambo

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Bradley Wiggins got that completely wrong with all his preparation chat. 

In terms of the ex pro experts on the commentary teams David Millar is miles ahead. He’s brilliant at spotting what’s happening in the race during the stage and explaining it concisely. 

Speaking of David Millar I’ve just spotted Time Trial the documentary about his last season is on BBC Scotland at 9pm. It’s a good watch if you like either cycling, or sports documentaries, or both. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Speaking of David Millar I’ve just spotted Time Trial the documentary about his last season is on BBC Scotland at 9pm. It’s a good watch if you like either cycling, or sports documentaries, or both. 

Is this also on demand?

And so begins today’s parade. 
Oddly I really like the Paris finale. The inevitable long breakaway when they start the laps, very often a rider in their last tour before retirement, Jens Voigt did a great break of over 40k on his last one. Then seeing the pace get faster and faster as they get closer to the last lap, and then the nervousness building up as they hit the last lap. 
Logic says Bennet for the win, but I have a feeling Sagan is hurting and desperately wants it so will go for it all out. However I don’t think he’s got the raw pace to beat him. It all depends to me on whether it becomes a lead out train sprint or a messy one. Luke Mezgec could be a dark horse for the win if Mitchelton Scott get their act together. 

I also like the final day's carnival atmosphere within the peloton and the gradual acceleration on the laps down the Champs Elysee.

Team photos, champagne served by the team cars, jokes with the camera bikes, proper last day of school vibes.

:rofl: 

Carlton  Kirby on Eurosport...

"And there they go, past the Luxor obelisk. Just reading some of them...Eye, sun, falcon, jug, chariot, goose. And we all know what that means."

7 minutes ago, Boof said:

:rofl: 

Carlton  Kirby on Eurosport...

"And there they go, past the Luxor obelisk. Just reading some of them...Eye, sun, falcon, jug, chariot, goose. And we all know what that means."

Great mix of commentators on both channels covering it. The Eurosport daily recipes have been great. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Great mix of commentators on both channels covering it. The Eurosport daily recipes have been great. 

I know you're more of an ITV4 chap with David Millar but Sean Kelly is the man for me today.

Bradley in the studio earlier on in the tour was a bit of a missed opportunity, IMO. Too much gesticulation put me off watching him!

3 minutes ago, Boof said:

I know you're more of an ITV4 chap with David Millar but Sean Kelly is the man for me today.

Bradley in the studio earlier on in the tour was a bit of a missed opportunity, IMO. Too much gesticulation put me off watching him!

I enjoy both channels, Dan Lloyd has been a good addition to Eurosport as well. I basically channel hop between the 2 at ad breaks, the stick with a channel until it has a break. Annoyingly they occasionally have breaks at the same time. 

The slow motion of the sprint from the front is fantastic, Sagan’s rear wheel is all over the place with wheel spin and bouncing side to side, amazing bike control at that speed. 

Right, world championships next week, then the Giro, and the La Vuelta starts while it is still on. And some of the “spring” classics still to come. I can’t wait for Paris-Roubaix, hopefully with a bit of rain to spice it up.  
I’d rather not still be stuck on furlough but it’s helping me be able to watch races without depending on highlights. 

So, the world championships started yesterday with the women’s time trial. I’m a bit sad about the women’s World Cup as Annameik Van Vleuten isn’t there. Anyhow it was all a bit dull as time trial days tend to be, apart from the end of the TdF of course. However Chloe Dygert had a bit of a tumble as it looked like she had a front wheel puncture approaching a downhill bend. Scary stuff. 

It took a long time to confirm she was ok but the reports said she had cut her leg. She posted this on Twitter earlier, I’ve put it in spoilers in case anyone is a bit squeamish or hasn’t had their breakfast, it’s quite a big cut it turns out. 

Spoiler

Has Roglic finished that time trial yet? 

It will take a bit for me to start watching Women's cycling, gotta be up there with the women's football? 

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

That was some ride by the Italian laddie.

I was sure he'd pushed way too hard at the first intermediate but he managed to keep his pace up.

That’s two massive time trial wins in the last couple of weeks for him. He’s a big unit though and would have to lose some of that for grand tours though I think. 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Shocking crash in the Binck-Bank stage today in Belgium. 

Jesus!

Bottom of the screen, 0:06 in - the Mitchelton Scott (I think - black and yellow) rider goes headlong and lands full frontal on top of another bike.

8 minutes ago, Boof said:

Jesus!

Bottom of the screen, 0:06 in - the Mitchelton Scott (I think - black and yellow) rider goes headlong and lands full frontal on top of another bike.

Quick luckily for him as it launched him over the low brick wall instead of straight into it. The entire Mitchelton team were caught up in the crash. A couple of riders in the peloton were able to get back on and depended on riders from other teams to basically push them for the last 3km. Road cyclists are a tough bunch. Annameik Van Vleuten broke her wrist in the Giro Rosa, had it operated on and got 2nd in the world championship a week later. 

Stage 2 of the Binck-Bank has been cancelled as there are new COVID regulations in place in the Netherlands. It will restart on Thursday as that stage is in Belgium. 

2 minutes ago, SecN said:

Giro starts tomorrow. 

Can’t wait, I love the Giro as a race and this is a classic route, lots of crazy mountain days. I’m just a bit disappointed there are 3 TT days. Though tomorrow’s is interesting. A big climb to start that gives KOM points then pretty much downhill all the way to the end. 
Heart says Nibali, head just can’t decide.