Pro cycling returns......and so do the crashes!

Cade

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Cade

• Boof

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Cade said:

Ineos just not firing as a team yet and running out of days in which to do so.

Roglic is looking very impressive.

Moped and Jiffy Bag booked for this week coming though.

Bernal late for the start today, was he just having a wee last espresso before the flag dropped?  🤫

I’ve just watched the highlights from today, that last 2km was thoroughly  nasty For a hilltop finish. The type of massive effort the Vuelta organisers love. I get the fear these days at the idea of cycling up The Mound and Bank Street. 

Bardet out of the race due to concussion.

Commentators said he did look very shaky on his feet after the crash and the gendarme in attendance was indicating at the time that he'd hit his head.

Questions about concussion protocol are sure to follow.

44 minutes ago, Cade said:

Such an unpredictable Tour.

Impossible to strategise or even gather your thoughts.

Absolute mayhem.

:jj:

That’s how it should be. If I was in charge radios would be banned straight away, way too much guidance from team cars going on, it even happens in the TT stages FFS.

Green jersey battle is still bubbling along nicely. Sagan and his team going for it to crush his chances of any points today by exploiting the climbs. Here’s also the tactic that they could try and keep the pace up and see Bennett fired out the back of the race and potentially not finish the tour. Good planning with major climbing coming up that Bora-Hansgrohe know that Sagan can survive even if not at the front of the stages. 

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Green jersey battle is still bubbling along nicely. Sagan and his team going for it to crush his chances of any points today by exploiting the climbs. Here’s also the tactic that they could try and keep the pace up and see Bennett fired out the back of the race and potentially not finish the tour. Good planning with major climbing coming up that Bora-Hansgrohe know that Sagan can survive even if not at the front of the stages. 

Badly worded post from me. Obviously I meant crush any chances of Bennett getting points. 

Sagan's good enough to get up the hills and get max points in the sprints on the latter stages.

He'll just keep chipping away at Bennett.

Interesting competition.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Sagan's good enough to get up the hills and get max points in the sprints on the latter stages.

He'll just keep chipping away at Bennett.

Interesting competition.

My take is that they’re taking a big risk trying to break Bennett completely. However tomorrow is going to be a painful day for any sprinters with more of the same to come. Bennett has done the tour twice and only finished once however Sagan has proved many times he can complete. Also interesting that both teams are built around them so plans must be in place to make sure they can drag them over the line. 

Sagan eats into Bennett's lead by 19 points.

Game well and truly on.

Not to mention how knackered Bennett will be after being dropped that far back on the road.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Sagan eats into Bennett's lead by 19 points.

Game well and truly on.

Not to mention how knackered Bennett will be after being dropped that far back on the road.

Or alternatively they made a conscious decision to coast in to save energy so he can survive tomorrow. Caleb Ewan had a classic sprinters stage when it gets lumpy. Good chance he might not be there for Paris if he doesn’t make the most of Monday’s rest day. 

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

Ineos have done the square root of feck all this tour.

They've made a complete James Hunt of it.

On the plus side, they'll need to try something now, instead of just sitting in the peleton every stage. 

Yates is a clever rider, he’s definitely aiming for a podium and is doing it safely by tagging along behind Jumbo. 
Bernal is a great rider but is, in my opinion, not ready to be a leader on a grand tour yet. Sadly for Ineos they only have 2 riders that can do that but neither were in any kind of shape to do the tour. 

In other news

Simon Yates wins the Tirreno-Adriatico stage race from Geraint Thomas who is looking back to some decent form ahead of the Giro Italia.

Annameik Van Vleuten is crushing it so far in the Giro Rosa as expected, the best form cyclist in the world just now I’d say. 
And after much consideration I am firmly of the opinion that Pogacar would be winning the TdF if he had a team like Jumbo Visma behind him, and I still wouldn’t rule him out at this stage, but only if Jumbo have a shitemare in the Alps which looks pretty unlikely. 

23 minutes ago, Cade said:

d8a3c

:sob: Some brutal climbs all day long.

A nice warm up for the next couple of days. Tomorrow is pretty horrible with 2 HC climbs and a mountain top finish. I can’t wait. 

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

A nice warm up for the next couple of days. Tomorrow is pretty horrible with 2 HC climbs and a mountain top finish. I can’t wait. 

Obviously I meant Wednesday. 
Pretty disappointing stage today apart from the break. Jumbo Visma are just doing too good a job of policing the peloton. 

JV are doing a SKY.

Sitting on the front, keeping the pace high and crushing any moves.

Sagan's not looking himself and I think the green jersey is out of his reach (still time though)

No being funny lads, but I came on this thread expecting to see 'pro-cycling crashes'.

Very disappointing to see the off-topic tangents being taken on here!!!

Anyway, is it time for a "Craig Levein's fault" tangent yet?

That was a painful looking climb, now for the scary descent, before an even harder climb. They’re earning their cash today. I expect someone to go shit or bust on the last uphill section, Pogacar logically but Jumbo Visma are still keeping their stranglehold on the peloton. 

5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

No being funny lads, but I came on this thread expecting to see 'pro-cycling crashes'.

Very disappointing to see the off-topic tangents being taken on here!!!

Anyway, is it time for a "Craig Levein's fault" tangent yet?

Here are couple of little ones from this years tour to amuse you. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Adam Yates turn the day, surely. 

It will be difficult for him as he’s isolated from his team. He’s been pretty good at freelancing onto other teams so far and might get away with it again as he doesn’t pose a threat to the race lead. Lopez hasn’t really been spoken about in the battle for 3rd for some reason despite being right up there. Landa might strike out with a few Km to go as he has previous for that type of attack. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It will be difficult for him as he’s isolated from his team. He’s been pretty good at freelancing onto other teams so far and might get away with it again as he doesn’t pose a threat to the race lead. Lopez hasn’t really been spoken about in the battle for 3rd for some reason despite being right up there. Landa might strike out with a few Km to go as he has previous for that type of attack. 

Yeah, Lopez tried something yesterday and might try again today, Yates will be trying to get closer to the 3rd spot.