Pro cycling returns......and so do the crashes!

Cade

It seems David Millar was right, Dunno how he knew that from TV pictures, but hey. 

I'm very proud of all my teammates, they did such a fantastic job today, they controlled the race. They pulled hard in the front of the peloton from the start, all day. In the end, there were crosswinds, and Emu and I stayed with the first group, everything was looking nice for the finish but, unfortunately, in the finale, my chain dropped off and I couldn't finish my sprint. I missed a lot of points but what can I do? That's cycling.

Peter Sagan

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Cade

• Boof

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

D'you reckon this will be the 'Bastille Day' stage?

16 15 September La Tour-du-Pin to Villard-de-Lans 164 km (102 mi) 20px-Mountainstage.svg.png Mountain stage

Additionally, since work gets in the way of full stage viewing, I've not heard much about Dumoulin, Quintana or Bardet so far but they're all comfortably in the top 10.

Could be a cracker of a Tour...unless I've just jinxed it.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Great racing, not sure if Yates will still have yellow. 

I can't believe how many maskless idiots are shouting right in the faces of the riders though :facepalm:

I cannae see past Roglic for winning this now, his team is too strong and there's a time trial right at the end of it. 

Quintana might actually come 2nd with nae team. 

Went for a nice Saturday ride today with a coffee meet with pals in the middle of it so I recorded the stage. Got home and started watching from the point I left the house. Fecking recording ran out just as Peters went over the top of the final climb! 
So then I had to wait until the highlights on Eurosport as I wanted to watch the end without knowing the result. 
A great result for AG2R and Peters, and serious guts from Yates, and further proof that some of the young talent coming through is fantastic. It used to be you weren’t even quoted for grand tours until you were in your mid 20’s at least, now there’s 21 year olds winning. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Went for a nice Saturday ride today with a coffee meet with pals in the middle of it so I recorded the stage. Got home and started watching from the point I left the house. Fecking recording ran out just as Peters went over the top of the final climb! 
So then I had to wait until the highlights on Eurosport as I wanted to watch the end without knowing the result. 
A great result for AG2R and Peters, and serious guts from Yates, and further proof that some of the young talent coming through is fantastic. It used to be you weren’t even quoted for grand tours until you were in your mid 20’s at least, now there’s 21 year olds winning. 

FFS. You still using Betamax?  Lol

1 minute ago, SecN said:

FFS. You still using Betamax?  Lol

TIVO box, stupidly decided not to go for the live sport option of adding an extra hour to the recording and the programme overran. 

Edited by Tazio

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

TIVO box, stupidly decided not to go for the live sport option of adding an extra hour to the recording and the programme overran. 

6.99 for the eurosport player, mate. 

I did 5 mins on the exercise bike and was good to go. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

6.99 for the eurosport player, mate. 

I did 5 mins on the exercise bike and was good to go. 

I’ve got Eurosport on my telly so I’m not spunking extra cash to get the player. And if I was going to I’d get the GCN racepass which is the same coverage with lots of post race extras. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve got Eurosport on my telly so I’m not spunking extra cash to get the player. And if I was going to I’d get the GCN racepass which is the same coverage with lots of post race extras. 

GCN is the same hing, i'm sure. 

I had the app but deleted it, no really arsed with all the after talk. 

(you get all the after talk on the the eurosport player tae) 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

GCN is a YouTube channel that has being growing enormously over the last few years and seems to have some cash clout behind it. The tie in with Eurosport is a big thing for them. The race pass could be a great thing as it’s going to cover a lot of races and not just the grand tours and classics so perfect for geeks like me. 

30 minutes ago, Tazio said:

GCN is a YouTube channel that has being growing enormously over the last few years and seems to have some cash clout behind it. The tie in with Eurosport is a big thing for them. The race pass could be a great thing as it’s going to cover a lot of races and not just the grand tours and classics so perfect for geeks like me. 

Have you been following the lantern rouge on youtube? no idea who he is and i can't stand his mullet but he knows his stuff. 

Just finished catching up on it. Fascinating stage and a real shame for Hirschi, just unfortunate for him he did the ride of his life on a day the GC contenders decided to go for broke against each other. 

55 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Just finished catching up on it. Fascinating stage and a real shame for Hirschi, just unfortunate for him he did the ride of his life on a day the GC contenders decided to go for broke against each other. 

Indeed. I was almost hoping that the pursuing GC bunch would allow Hirschi to take the stage, and perhaps in times gone by they might have done so. But those extra GC points for finishing first were obviously far too tempting.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. I was almost hoping that the pursuing GC bunch would allow Hirschi to take the stage, and perhaps in times gone by they might have done so. But those extra GC points for finishing first were obviously far too tempting.

There’s a great documentary on amazon called Wonderful Losers about domestiques (or gregarios as the Italians call them). One of the interviewees talks about the one time in a grand tour he did a breakaway and led until the last few hundred yards where he was passed by Contador. As he went past Contador shouted “take my wheel” knowing that the guy was exhausted but could sprint past him at the line with that advantage and gave up the stage win so the guy could have the only won of his career. 
Not the general view Of Contador but a nice thing to do. 

Edited by Tazio

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

There’s a great documentary on amazon called Wonderful Losers about domestiques (or gregarios as the Italians call them). One of the interviewees talks about the one time in a grand tour he did a breakaway and led until the last few hundred yards where he was passed by Contador. As he went past Contador shouted “take my wheel” knowing that the guy was exhausted but could sprint past him at the line with that advantage and gave up the stage win so the guy could have the only won of his career. 
Not the general view Of Contador but a nice thing to do. 

That was indeed a very nice thing to do. Good on him. :)

Today could go 2 ways for me.

No wind, incredibly dull stage with a breakaway that will get pulled back leading to a bunch sprint at the end.

Strong wind, makes the day very interesting as it will be a technical exercise in which team can protect their GC rider (or sprinter for non GC teams) and deliver them safely to the end. In the past I would have confidently backed Ineos (Sky) but they don’t seem to have that clinical aura now. I’m also not sure Jumbo Visma are quite there yet. 

I thought there was a glitch on the route profile for today.

Nope, it's just flat as a pancake.

I love that they've marked all the "hills".

Highest peak, 16m.

:gok:

8922b

Edited by Cade

Say they got to 20k from home. 

Would it be even remotely possible for one team just to go on an absolutely balls-out team time trial to the finish or would there be the certainty of too many hangers-on?

And would there be any point? Say for instance a team just isn't going to win GC or Green, Polka dot or White jerseys...are stage wins or TV exposure during breakaways the only things they're going for?

6 minutes ago, Boof said:

Say they got to 20k from home. 

Would it be even remotely possible for one team just to go on an absolutely balls-out team time trial to the finish or would there be the certainty of too many hangers-on?

And would there be any point? Say for instance a team just isn't going to win GC or Green, Polka dot or White jerseys...are stage wins or TV exposure during breakaways the only things they're going for?

It’s possible but very difficult to organise a break like that and not have another team or individuals jump on. Especially on a stage like today. A lot of the teams come in knowing they won’t win any of the big jerseys so aim for stages, that was Mitchelton-Scott’s plan until Yates accidentally ended up in yellow. The tv exposure is a big thing as it keeps the team sponsors happy and their name mentioned a lot. And as they mentioned in the commentary today Movistar oddly seem to aim for the team prize even though it’s not one of the awards that’s spoken about much by the public. 

It doesn’t matter how many races I watch I still get nervy on these long flat run ins when you can visibly see the pace getting cranked up for a bunch sprint. 

This is looking like another flat out finish. One rider out today with a pretty serious looking injury, too many silly crashes this year. Sean Kelly made a good point that if a rider on disc brakes slams the anchors on someone behind on rim brakes just can’t react fast enough or stop as rapidly. 

Great sprint at the end, fully committed from Sagan but not quite enough, it’ll be interesting to see if the commissars make of his use of the shoulder on Van Aert. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
58 minutes ago, Cade said:

That shoulder looked borderline, at full speed it was quite the shove.

Seen Cav DQd for less in previous years.

Sagan might get away with it as he was on Van Aert's right, if he was on his left and nudged him towards the barrier then it would probably mean a punishment for Sagan.

What an exciting finish though, the closest sprint so far.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Sagan relegated and docked his 13 sprinter's points.

Sam Bennett promoted to 2nd.

VanAert promoted to 3rd on the stage.

Edited by Cade

7 hours ago, Cade said:

That shoulder looked borderline, at full speed it was quite the shove.

Seen Cav DQd for less in previous years.

And of course Sagan was thrown off the race a few years ago for elbowing Cavendish into the barriers and leading to Cav breaking his shoulder. 
Abdoujaporov would never finish a stage race nowadays with his crazy sprinting style. Great to watch though as he sprinted like a lunatic in every stage. 

12 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I think we'll be hearing a lot more of the name Hirschi, only 22 as well. 

Certainly looks like a good rider for the monuments and spring classics. You’ve got to love a breakaway rider, Jens Voigt was always a favourite for me. 

33 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I think we'll be hearing a lot more of the name Hirschi, only 22 as well. 

He will be a *very* happy bunny tonight.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

He will be a *very* happy bunny tonight.

He's making me want to drag my bike out now, I've got 2 years on Valverde, so still plenty of time to make it 🤣

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

He's making me want to drag my bike out now, I've got 2 years on Valverde, so still plenty of time to make it 🤣

:D Do it! Remember to have "Greedy Jambo" somewhere on your shirt so that I know it's you as you lead the peloton up Alpe d'Huez.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Do it! Remember to have "Greedy Jambo" somewhere on your shirt so that I know it's you as you lead the peloton up Alpe d'Huez.

Haha