what 6 hearts player should we build the team around

wattie exploited

John Findlay
20 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Davy Holt injured ?

Could only pick 6 and had to have a keeper

rudi must stay

Why 6. Why not 4

Gordon Halkett (captain at Livi, I'm in the minority but I rate him as our best defender) Haring and Naismith. A captain each part of the pitch, how Mourinho used to do it. And Haring by the way, yes he's good but if you can bring in a tough tackling centre mid even better 

john thomas
15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Could only pick 6 and had to have a keeper

Forgot it had to be 6 . I'll let you off

wattie exploited
5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Why 6. Why not 4

Gordon Halkett (captain at Livi, I'm in the minority but I rate him as our best defender) Haring and Naismith. A captain each part of the pitch, how Mourinho used to do it. And Haring by the way, yes he's good but if you can bring in a tough tackling centre mid even better 

the problem with Haring is there is a good chance it will be another 6 months before he really is match fit if at all and we could do with a box to box midfield player as we still havent got one !!!!!!!!

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

the problem with Haring is there is a good chance it will be another 6 months before he really is match fit if at all and we could do with a box to box midfield player as we still havent got one !!!!!!!!

I think we might use Walker as someone who can break from deep and make runs in behind to support the strikers and get on the end of things, bit agree we need another CM.

Edited by ToqueJambo

wattie exploited
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I think we might use Walker as someone who can break from deep and make runs in behind, bit agree we need another CM.

don,t know if Jamie has the legs to do box to box still ,I think we need someone who can open up teams who are just going to sit in which I reckon will be most teams :rifle:

Guest ToqueJambo

When all fit, no club in the championship has anyone anywhere near as good as any of these players (accept at least 2-3 will leave):

Gordon

Berra

Souttar

Smith

Hickey

Halkett

Haring

Walker

Naismith

Boyce

Washington

Tempted to add Lee to that list as well.

Edited by ToqueJambo

21 hours ago, Last Laff said:

John Souttar?  How on earth do we ever build a team around him?  Boyce probably won’t be here and this is a perfect time to build a young exciting young team.  Naisy and Craig, yes, pray PH comes back but the rest? Nah. 

I’m all for building a young exciting team

but we don’t have young exciting players 

the standard of our young players is vastly underwhelming 

if it takes experienced journeymen players to get us out of the championship and at the top end of the premiership I couldn’t care, if they are all fat and bald and 35 I couldn’t care as long as we have a winning team

wattie exploited
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

When all fit, no club in the championship has anyone anywhere near as good as any of these players (accept at least 2-3 will leave):

Gordon

Berra

Souttar

Smith

Hickey

Halkett

Haring

Walker

Naismith

Boyce

Washington

Tempted to add Lee to that list as well.

well Hickey and Washington are definitely leaving   Berra is ok for the Championship but not good enough for the SPL  would like to see Irvine and Cochrane  get a chance Haring will be months before he is fit if at all so we definitely need a  box to box CM Player 

wattie exploited
On 07/08/2020 at 00:03, JimmyCant said:

Not so much overrated, just made of glass. You can guarantee he’ll be out long term again before Christmas.

I think Souttar  this season will show how good he really is and if he can get over his injuries as he has the potential to be a really great player and future captain for hearts :rifle: 

6 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

I think Souttar  this season will show how good he really is and if he can get over his injuries as he has the potential to be a really great player and future captain for hearts :rifle: 

Well hopefully an injury free season and a player if his class should be strolling this league. The season after that is where we’ll see how good he is, or otherwise. Not sure when his contract is up so that’s another thing we’ll need to look at. If he stays injury free for a good long spell we’ll struggle to keep him anyway

Edited by JimmyCant

Jambof3tornado
8 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

Fingers crossed he stays injury free. I genuinely think its his last chance for a decent move from us. Him halkett and Gordon will compliment each other nicely.

wattie exploited
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Well hopefully an injury free season and a player if his class should be strolling this league. The season after that is where we’ll see how good he is, or otherwise. Not sure when his contract is up so that’s another thing we’ll need to look at. If he stays injury free for a good long spell we’ll struggle to keep him anyway

I think with him and Peter Haring being out for the last year they should agree another year onto their contract so if we want to sell them we get some money for them as they have had a years wage out being injured I think this would be the fair thing for them to do :rifle:

26 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

I think with him and Peter Haring being out for the last year they should agree another year onto their contract so if we want to sell them we get some money for them as they have had a years wage out being injured I think this would be the fair thing for them to do :rifle:

Aye if only players put loyalty, fairness and gratitude before hard cash 💰 

wattie exploited
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Aye if only players put loyalty, fairness and gratitude before hard cash 💰 

perhaps its just people like us who believe in doing the right thing .I always believe in standing bye people who have stood by me and in this case Hearts fc  have stood by them  for at least a year when most other people would not have paid their wages like we have :rifle:

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I see no way that Naismith will be with us next season 

Really? He was texting Gordon to tell him that he is still Captain next season. Seems likely he will be. Have you heard differently?

17 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Be quite surprised if he wasn’t.  

wattie exploited
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

he was one of the first players to say he was staying with us no matter what league we where in he will def be staying for sure :rifle:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Drama queens all over this thread I see.

Gordon Naismith and Boyce definitely. And we do know they have all committed. 

Difficult to say who else,  either injury prone, unproven or possible exits.

All being well Smith,  Souttar and Haring would be the other 3.

3 at the back has because fashionable. 

A team like this would please me

Gordon 

Smith 

Souttar 

Halkett 

Haring 

Lee

Irving 

Walker 

Naismith 

Moore 

Boyce 

Bazzas right boot

Difficult. 

Our better players won't be around that long, but going for a term of say 3 years. 

Gordon

Souttar 

Haring 

Naismith 

Boyce 

Berra and Smith will be useful too imo in different ways. 

Halkett, I'll wait and judge later. 

That if injury free tho. 

If Souttar, Haring and Naismith continue the Injuries, then it's not good Tbh. 

How that team were bottom is beyond me,, but then all the best players have been ****ed long term at some point so it's hard to say. 

A good player who is always injured makes it difficult to build a team around, especially if most of your best players are of that ilk. 

A team of

Gordon

Lb

Souttar 

Halkett 

Lee

Haring

1x cm

Walker 

1 x winger 

Naismith 

Boyce 

Plus all the others around the squad should be top 6 easy. 

If half are injured, not so much. 

Nb- that team will beat hibs in the sf. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Drama queens all over this thread I see.

Gordon Naismith and Boyce definitely. And we do know they have all committed. 

Difficult to say who else,  either injury prone, unproven or possible exits.

All being well Smith,  Souttar and Haring would be the other 3.

3 at the back has because fashionable. 

A team like this would please me

Gordon 

Smith 

Souttar 

Halkett 

Haring 

Lee

Irving 

Walker 

Naismith 

Moore 

Boyce 

Should have read that, would have saved me. 

😂😂

Pretty much identical. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Apart from the fact he said he would be. 

:vrface:

Bazzas right boot
21 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Fingers crossed he stays injury free. I genuinely think its his last chance for a decent move from us. Him halkett and Gordon will compliment each other nicely.

Can't agree, Berra being left sided and better in the air conplements them both. 

Souttar isn't as good as a left sided Cb, Halkett is worse. 

IMO both suffered there. 

We need a left sided Cb, we also Need a "heed the baw" type giving Scottish footballs rather direct approach. 

Bring a decent player at Cb is useless when teams pump 60 yard diagonals and you have a weakness in the air. 

Berra, imo is needed, simply because he's brilliant in the air (yes) and left sided. 

Holyrood_Hearts

Berra 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Gordon 

Smith 

Souttar 

Halkett 

Haring 

Lee

Irving 

Walker 

Naismith 

Moore 

Boyce 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

A team of

Gordon

Lb

Souttar 

Halkett 

Lee

Haring

1x cm

Walker 

1 x winger 

Naismith 

Boyce 

Don't mind the 3-5-2/3-4-3 in principle, but I can't think of many players less suited to playing wing-back than Jamie Walker.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Don't mind the 3-5-2/3-4-3 in principle, but I can't think of many players less suited to playing wing-back than Jamie Walker.

3 3 3 1 for me

No wing backs,  Haring basically fills a hole whenever someone strides forward or when we fall into a defensive position. 

My team would also be 2nd to none fitness wise

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Yeah, in that walker sits behind Naismith and Boyce. 

We'd need pace out wide and directness in midfield for that to work tho.

Imo, balance is key, not quality. 

I slated butcher, but if that sort was fit he'd let Lee and others go forward. 

If we play Boyce, Naismith and walker, we'll need pace in other areas.

For example, Damour and guys like whelan although maybe quality ( relative) if they had pace around them do not add anything to Naismith, Boyce, walker etc. 

Balance is key, CL got it wrong. 

6 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

he was one of the first players to say he was staying with us no matter what league we where in he will def be staying for sure :rifle:

Hope so Wattie

On 07/08/2020 at 09:10, buzzbomb said:

Dare say there is the chance Irving moves on. 

why?

13 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Really? He was texting Gordon to tell him that he is still Captain next season. Seems likely he will be. Have you heard differently?

Naw he’s just rambling.

6 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

why?

Think I was replying to someone who was suggesting he wouldn’t play as Robbie was looking for 2 centre mids. I was suggesting that maybe he’s looking for 2 CMz because irving is leaving. I don’t know that, was just a suggestion as to why Robbie Might be looking for 2 CMz

wattie exploited
18 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

why?

we will keeping Irvine for sure he is one off our better young upcoming players :rifle:

3 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

we will keeping Irvine for sure he is one off our better young upcoming players :rifle:

Exactly

I think building a team around youngsters is difficult, because any young player who is either good enough to do that will attract interest or have ambitions to play down south (or west..) so I think that causes problems when trying to build a team. Replacing key players is bloody hard and messes with continuity.

Gordon, Smith, Souttar/Halkett, Haring, Walker, Boyce and Naismith have enough in the tank to do us this season, next season and possibly the following season, although its worth considering Gordon will be pushing 40 at that point! Still, if Gigi can do it, why can't oor Craig :D The point being we should be able to get through the next few seasons with minimal changes assuming no one moves or breaks down. Despite being being 12th when the season was called, I do still believe we have a really good squad and there is enough of a foundation to build on with the inclusion of 1 or 2 quality signings and leaning more on the kids to step up. I think Robbie will be able to bring out a lot of the natural talent we have, Walker in particular.

I think with our spending limitations, we need to build teams around older players, or players unlikely to move (e.g. Walker). Long term theres a lot of continuity there. I think Aberdeen had struck a good balance with the likes of Shinnie, Rooney, McGinn, Logan and Hayes but have lost most of them in recent years, although they do have 3/5 back again, then theres guys like Lewis, Cosgrove, McKenna and Ferguson. A real strong and clear spine. 

I think its a case of using the youngsters to improve what we have. Guys like Walker, Naismith and Boyce have heaps of quality in their lockers, so its about seeing what youngsters can help bring out the best in them. Its why I think this season is really important in terms of giving younger players a chance. We absolutely need to go up first time of asking, but this isn't a league with Rangers, Hibs or Dundee Utd in it. Our biggest rivals are ICT and Robbie has already won the Championship twice before, so will be comfortable with how to do it. 

wattie exploited
On 09/08/2020 at 21:15, i8hibsh said:

Hope so Wattie

he will also he is the captain so extra motivation to stay  :rifle:

WheatfieldWarrior
On 06/08/2020 at 23:13, Jambo92 said:

Gordon 

Halkett Souttar

Haring

Naismith 

Boyce

Fitness key for this however..

Souttar, Haring and Naismith have barely kicked a ball in 2 years.  We built a team round them and dropped down because they were never fit.  Good players on their day though.

If I were to pick, and leave out the ones who have (thus far) shown to have unreliable fitness I'd go

Gordon

M Smith

Berra

Irving 
Boyce

Uche

Big pool of players that are good on their day, but always injured:

Souttar

Haring

Walker

Naismith

Promising, but always injured:

White

Garuccio

Moore

Promising, but need games to develop:

Brandon

Cochrane

Henderson

McDonald

Likely out the exit door:

Hickey

Washington

Doyle

Who knows:

Damour

Lee

I think Bobby's a decent backup 

I don't think Halkett's a good fit for hearts - needs to play in a 5 - probably move him on if we can.

I haven't seen Roberts play, so not sure how to fit him in to the scheme above. 

I think we still need signings, including a ball-winning midfielder (Gomis type) and a big unit at centre back

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

wattie exploited
6 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Souttar, Haring and Naismith have barely kicked a ball in 2 years.  We built a team round them and dropped down because they were never fit.  Good players on their day though.

If I were to pick, and leave out the ones who have (thus far) shown to have unreliable fitness I'd go

Gordon

M Smith

Berra

Irving 
Boyce

Uche

Big pool of players that are good on their day, but always injured:

Souttar

Haring

Walker

Naismith

Promising, but always injured:

White

Garuccio

Moore

Promising, but need games to develop:

Brandon

Cochrane

Henderson

McDonald

Likely out the exit door:

Hickey

Washington

Doyle

Who knows:

Damour

Lee

I think Bobby's a decent backup 

I don't think Halkett's a good fit for hearts - needs to play in a 5 - probably move him on if we can.

I haven't seen Roberts play, so not sure how to fit him in to the scheme above. 

I think we still need signings, including a ball-winning midfielder (Gomis type) and a big unit at centre back

good post apart from would like to see Damour ,Doyle,Garuccio  go think Lee will do ok in this league but we still need a box to box CM :rifle: