Interesting Piece of Jambo-related Trivia

Highlander

Before Robbie Neilson repeated the feat this year, who was the last Scottish manager to lead a Scottish football team to promotion from the second-tier to the top-tier only to join a team that had just been relegated?

3fingersreid

As there’s no confirmed answer , I’ll have a guess at Alex MacDonald ? 

ignore that misread the question 🙈🙈🙈

Edited by 3fingersreid

32 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Wullie Ormond?

I'm sure Willie had the distinction of being sacked by both Hearts & Hibs while they were both top of the Championship. Due to health reasons both times and Alex Rennie did a great job with us that last season when Ormond failed to turn up a lot of the time.

I remember hearing a story a game had kicked off and Ormond appeared on the bench and was asking Rennie "Who's that?" about  one of our players. Sadly his health deteriorated quickly - his pub in Musselburgh was a good one though....... He was always friendly and easy to talk to with no airs and graces. He admitted openly the Famous Five could never get the better of the Terrible Trio.

A Shoreditch Heart
32 minutes ago, JTJ said:

I'm sure Willie had the distinction of being sacked by both Hearts & Hibs while they were both top of the Championship. Due to health reasons both times and Alex Rennie did a great job with us that last season when Ormond failed to turn up a lot of the time.

I remember hearing a story a game had kicked off and Ormond appeared on the bench and was asking Rennie "Who's that?" about  one of our players. Sadly his health deteriorated quickly - his pub in Musselburgh was a good one though....... He was always friendly and easy to talk to with no airs and graces. He admitted openly the Famous Five could never get the better of the Terrible Trio.

aw its good to hear that was a nice bloke. I was a kid when he took over and a few of my uncles and stuff were not happy 'cause he was hibs . He got us playing some great football again that season in the 1st division so I will always respect him - and also he put together our greatest national football team ever

2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

We’ve not been relegated

We’ve been expelled.

FFS!!!!!!!

A succinct and stellar point very well made. How dare I?

Expelled. 

Some good answers but none of which is correct... yet.  

Clue: It took place in the last 30 years. Between Season 1990/1991 and the present.

Expelled!  Evicted! Ejaculated.

Can't wait for those celebrating this attrocity to pay a very heavy price.  Starting with Dundee.

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Highlander said:

A succinct and stellar point very well made. How dare I?

Expelled. 

Thank you.

Hectormasson
4 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

We’ve not been relegated

We’ve been expelled.

FFS!!!!!!!

Booted oot by the cellic loving spfl !

2 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

Booted oot by the cellic loving spfl !

Celtic "dependent" SPFL.

Edited by Tasavallan

On 06/08/2020 at 20:13, Highlander said:

Some good answers but none of which is correct... yet.  

Clue: It took place in the last 30 years. Between Season 1990/1991 and the present.

I love a good quiz question but cannot for the life of me think of the answer so PLEASE answer :berra:

brunoatemyhamster

Is this a trick question?

Is the relegated team Scottish aswell? 

John Findlay
16 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Alex Neil

Good shout. Promoted with Hamilton then took over at relegated Norwich and got them promoted again.

• 3 weeks later...

Alex McLeish. He managed Motherwell until 1998, who were competing in the then Scottish Premier League, and then moved on to the wee team doon the road just as they were relegated, leading them for three years before moving to Rangers. 

Dallas Green
28 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Alex McLeish. He managed Motherwell until 1998, who were competing in the then Scottish Premier League, and then moved on to the wee team doon the road just as they were relegated, leading them for three years before moving to Rangers. 

But he hadn't just promoted Motherwell? 

Also, the Scottish Premier League only came about in the 1998/99 season. Before that it was the Premier Division. 

On 06/08/2020 at 14:56, Highlander said:

Before Robbie Neilson repeated the feat this year, who was the last Scottish manager to lead a Scottish football team to promotion from the second-tier to the top-tier only to join a team that had just been relegated?

Your question is asking who promoted a team from the second tier to the top tier then quit that team that he just got promoted to join the team that got relegated.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I read it as Scottish team to Scottish team but it doesn't look like it has to be. In that case, must be Jack Ross - promotion with St Mirren, moved to relegated Sunderland. 

I’d thought it would be David Hopkins as I thought he had gone from Livi to Morton after winning the play offs in 2018, but a quick Wikipedia check suggests he went to Bradford in between

edit - also misread their question as was thinking of James Keatings  syndrome rather than joining a relegated team

Edited by everton_jambo

3fingersreid

It’s bloody lambie , got hamilton promoted but left to join partick again who’d just been relegated ( at least it is in my mind) 

11 hours ago, Highlander said:

They hadn’t been relegated when he joined them.  He just finished the job.  He has a history of relegating teams. 

On 06/08/2020 at 10:45, A Shoreditch Heart said:

aw its good to hear that was a nice bloke. I was a kid when he took over and a few of my uncles and stuff were not happy 'cause he was hibs . He got us playing some great football again that season in the 1st division so I will always respect him - and also he put together our greatest national football team ever

When i was at every game home and away i must have missed it 

Fort Vallance
On 06/08/2020 at 18:03, JTJ said:

I've had the same "health reasons" loads of times. Usually still made my work on a Monday.

A Shoreditch Heart
1 hour ago, andi17 said:

When i was at every game home and away i must have missed it 

ha yeah, I know what you mean it wasn't the greatest football ever. What I should have said was after the previous few years of despair - Ormond got us winning again most weeks, which was something that I'd never experienced before.

Edited by A Shoreditch Heart

15 hours ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

ha yeah, I know what you mean it wasn't the greatest football ever. What I should have said was after the previous few years of despair - Ormond got us winning again most weeks, which was something that I'd never experienced before.

Now that's better lol