Covid protocols - ‘Govt money wanted’

taylor75

Dennis Reynolds
39 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Given what has been covered in today's SPFL statement and that Hearts operates a testing bubble, I'd be surprised if both East Fife (tonight) and Spartans (tomorrow) will have tested their squads within the last seven days. 

Would it be at Hearts discretion possibly? 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Nookie Bear

It will certainly be interesting to see how it goes however it seems unlikely a lot of these clubs can afford to test routinely. Say £50 a pop a week for 30  people (likely more) gives you £1,500 a week.  It's likely clubs have at least 32 weeks of testing being required unless something drastically changes soon so that's £50k this season. That's before you factor in retests etc. and weeks were multiple testing  might be needed.  

I'd imagine it will take 1 or 2 outbreaks to have games being postponed and players revolting. I would see a big risk that at least some clubs will end up withdrawing from competitions this season.

The betfred cup is surely going to see some ridiculous scores also. It normally doesn't go too badly as the PL clubs use it as a warm up and everyone is just coming back. This year your 9-5 joiners will have had a small pre-season and be going in against full time clubs and potentially with players having to be excluded regularly due to isolation or inability to properly test for games where it is required. Would be surprised to not see some healthy score lines and that is assuming it goes ahead. The qualifying rounds of the CL saw quite a few issues due to COVID and at this level I think our league will be ripe for similar occurring.

Given we will be playing against teams that aren't testing it's almost inevitable that we will get cases. Not much we can do about it so we're just going to need to deal with it when it happens.

I cannot see the PFA or wider authorities allowing players to be put at such a substantial risk.  Whilst there is inevitably some risk to everyone whilst the pandemic is live if players are going to be asked to train, play and mix with others I'd imagine there will be demands for high levels of safety measures.

If they aren't in place it might get started however by the time of the 2nd or 3rd club outbreak it will be put to a stop.

9 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Given we will be playing against teams that aren't testing it's almost inevitable that we will get cases. Not much we can do about it so we're just going to need to deal with it when it happens.

It’s a complete shambles. Only to be expected of the idiots running the game here.

Montgomery Brewster
8 hours ago, farin said:

9E6CD75A-94A7-4E39-A025-0ECFFB6BB6E9.thumb.jpeg.73d7737ab7b791fea64a753d9bbd74ba.jpeg

Sign of the times at tynie with a sanitizer station. 

Can we finally do something with that half arsed club badge against the stand wall.

even just a giant FTH under it ?

10 hours ago, SectionFJambo said:

It will certainly be interesting to see how it goes however it seems unlikely a lot of these clubs can afford to test routinely. Say £50 a pop a week for 30  people (likely more) gives you £1,500 a week.  It's likely clubs have at least 32 weeks of testing being required unless something drastically changes soon so that's £50k this season. That's before you factor in retests etc. and weeks were multiple testing  might be needed.  

I'd imagine it will take 1 or 2 outbreaks to have games being postponed and players revolting. I would see a big risk that at least some clubs will end up withdrawing from competitions this season.

The betfred cup is surely going to see some ridiculous scores also. It normally doesn't go too badly as the PL clubs use it as a warm up and everyone is just coming back. This year your 9-5 joiners will have had a small pre-season and be going in against full time clubs and potentially with players having to be excluded regularly due to isolation or inability to properly test for games where it is required. Would be surprised to not see some healthy score lines and that is assuming it goes ahead. The qualifying rounds of the CL saw quite a few issues due to COVID and at this level I think our league will be ripe for similar occurring.

A few club chairman or managers said about not being able to afford testing and the difficulties around part time players with jobs etc.

But it's still all not clear. They forget again that you should be bringing everyone with you on this including the supporters who are the ones keeping the game and clubs in business.

The SPFL/ SFA should be explaining it all not just statements. 

12 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Unfortunately we just need to make sure that our players stick to all the protocols - and it is laid on the line to them.

We have a squad big enough that games can be played.  Subject to local or national lockdowns, we should never be in a position not to play and relinquish results. 

It's not happening at Premiership level yet, but you never know.

Interesting. Maybe the mods care to explain why Gaz_jambo and my replies have mysteriously been deleted from this thread?

Thought it was a free country? Maybe we’re not allowed to question what is going on with covid and to suggest there is virtually no risk for under 70s due to the virus. 

Come on mods let’s hear what you’ve got to say about this?

3 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Interesting. Maybe the mods care to explain why Gaz_jambo and my replies have mysteriously been deleted from this thread?

Thought it was a free country? Maybe we’re not allowed to question what is going on with covid and to suggest there is virtually no risk for under 70s due to the virus. 

Come on mods let’s hear what you’ve got to say about this?

You are allowed but the Shed is the place for detailed discussions of Covid. 

21 hours ago, ritchies75 said:

SPFL STATEMENT

SPFL ANNOUNCES COVID-19 TESTING PROTOCOLS FOR BETFRED CUP AND CHALLENGE CUP...

At its meeting earlier today, the Board of the Scottish Professional Football League determined the Covid-19 testing regime that will be put in place for the Betfred Cup and the Challenge Cup this season.

League matches
At present, all Premiership clubs are obliged to carry out RT-PCR (swab) testing of their squad in the 168 hours prior to kick-off for a Premiership match, with results made available to the SPFL by midday two days prior to the match. These arrangements will continue.

There remains no requirement for routine swab testing in relation to Championship, League 1 or League 2 matches.

Betfred Cup
In relation to the Betfred Cup, a number of lower division and non-SPFL (and therefore non-swab testing) clubs will play against Premiership (swab testing) clubs this season. To minimise the risk of transmission to Premiership players   - but we don't care if lower league players transmit Covid to other lower league players -    any team drawn against a Premiership club in the Betfred Cup this season will be required to swab test their players in the 168-hour period prior to that Betfred Cup fixture, with results provided to the League by midday two days prior to the tie.

As with Premiership league fixtures, any players who test positive would be required to self-isolate and would not be able to take part in the tie.

If a club is unable or unwilling to field a team in a Betfred Cup Round 1 group stage tie, or fails to provide sufficient negative test results, the club concerned will forfeit the match (on the basis of a 3-0 defeat) -    unless it's a big Premiership team in which case we'll re-think this rule.

Challenge Cup
The SPFL’s Challenge Cup has, over its history, predominantly been a competition for the benefit of lower league clubs. It also noted that prize money in this competition is significantly less than for the Betfred Cup.

As a result, the SPFL Board does not consider it reasonable to impose a requirement on clubs to have to swab test, if they are drawn against a Colt team in the Challenge Cup.

However, the prospect of having their Colt team play against an untested team may concern Premiership clubs, due to the increased risk of transmission of Covid-19 into their playing ‘bubble’.

The SPFL Board has therefore decided that:

- for any tie not involving a Colt team, there will be no requirement to swab test  

- for any tie involving a Colt team, the Premiership club may elect for their opponent to have to swab test their squad in the 168 hours before kick-off, but at the cost of the Premiership club

- Premiership clubs may elect not to enter a Colt team in the Challenge Cup this season

As with the Betfred Cup, there is potential for a club not to (or not to be able to) play a tie. In these circumstances, the club concerned will forfeit the match, with their opponents automatically progressing to the next round.

Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL said: “The enormous efforts SPFL clubs are going to is a sign of the sport’s determination to do everything humanly possible to mitigate the impact of Covid19. The very future of many of our clubs depends on this comprehensive suite of steps to which clubs are rigorously adhering. The fact that Premiership clubs will pay for Covid-19 tests to be carried out by lower league opponents in the Challenge Cup is very positive. Everyone in our game knows we are all in this together    and the fact that the game as a whole is taking a very collegiate and mature approach augurs very well for the future.”:facepalm:    :jjno::19:

Well, there we have it in black and white -  an admission that the SPFL exists purely to protect the  Premiership, and to hell with  clubs in lower  leagues .... and their players.

"Brass neck" doesn't even come close to describing Doncaster's arrogance.

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Well, there we have it in black and white -  an admission that the SPFL exists purely to protect the  Premiership, and to hell with  clubs in lower  leagues .... and their players.

In reality it’s to protect the sky contract. 

I have seen some of Jason Leitch’s interview the bit were he says elite level sport should be okay really concerns me. I can see a few games being called off due to not be able to test. The SPFL/Doncaster is showing his true colours we are all in this together is lies and what he means is as long as Celtic and Rangers are okay then the rest can fold. 

Gorgie Boot boy
16 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

Knowing the integrity of the club i would imagine that we would cover sides who have no testing kits etc while playing at Tynecastle,

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Those rules are bonkers. Not insisting on tests because the prize money is less in the Challenge Cup? 

Its immoral. 

14 minutes ago, Rods said:

I have seen some of Jason Leitch’s interview the bit were he says elite level sport should be okay really concerns me. I can see a few games being called off due to not be able to test. The SPFL/Doncaster is showing his true colours we are all in this together is lies and what he means is as long as Celtic and Rangers are okay then the rest can fold. 

Said for a while that the main job of our CEO should be to get assurance from The SPFL that games will either go ahead or be awarded 0-3 results. 

Gorgie Boot boy
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Those rules are bonkers. Not insisting on tests because the prize money is less in the Challenge Cup? 

Its immoral. 

Hearts were steps ahead yet again, fully covered themselves.

We are available to win everything we play for.

Have to give a big thumbs up to the club for their decision on providing the correct equipment and advice  for Covid 19 rules restrictions and PPE.

2 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Knowing the integrity of the club i would imagine that we would cover sides who have no testing kits etc while playing at Tynecastle,

With JA's money, we've kinda done that already.

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, EarnockJambo said:

With JA's money, we've kinda done that already.

We may as well at least check the forehead temperatures. James is not the main benefactor though either.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

Guest ToqueJambo

German clubs gave money to smaller clubs at the start of COVD.

English clubs are discussing paying lower league clubs' testing costs for cup games right now. I think it's time for all of our "elite" clubs to do the same (including us), and the SPFL should look at using prize money etc to fund the lower leagues' testing as well for the full season. The alternative will be the lower leagues won't happen.

You have to ask what the lower league clubs did with the 50 grand that was supposed to go to something like a testing machine.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

English clubs are discussing paying lower league clubs' testing costs for cup games right now. I think it's time for all of our "elite" clubs to do the same (including us), and the SPFL should look at using prize money etc to fund the lower leagues' testing as well for the full season. The alternative will be the lower leagues won't happen.

You have to ask what the lower league clubs did with the 50 grand that was supposed to go to something like a testing machine.

There's also a strong moral argument that the Bigot Brothers should fund testing for other 10 Premiership clubs as well as the lower league clubs -  a sort of "thank you"  from them to everyone else for not complaining about the bias and unfairness which underpins Scottish football.

Gorgie Boot boy
12 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

There's also a strong moral argument that the Bigot Brothers should fund testing for other 10 Premiership clubs as well as the lower league clubs -  a sort of "thank you"  from them to everyone else for not complaining about the bias and unfairness which underpins Scottish football.

Hearts are covered. Let the rest of them get on with it. The way things have been going this year anything is possible.

14 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

gerrard is in one of todays papers saying the premiership teams should fund testing for the lower leagues betfred cup games. it is a start but that is the only games that would affect premiership teams as teams forfeiting games could affect premiership teams progress

On 19/09/2020 at 09:38, And he’s not praying! said:

I can see my seat. 😌😍

I cannie see my old seat guys lol.😪

On 19/09/2020 at 16:29, Nookie Bear said:

Said for a while that the main job of our CEO should be to get assurance from The SPFL that games will either go ahead or be awarded 0-3 results. 

You would think that would be the only fair outcome......but the SPFL do not to fair as far as Hearts are concerned! 🤬

Guest ToqueJambo
On 19/09/2020 at 08:29, Nookie Bear said:

Win the league unbeaten, no goals against and 81 for. Promoted as Champions and take St Mirren's place. 

Judging by what I saw on the news this morning, a return to normal is a very long way off.  We're returning to normal for the second time tomorrow but it's much eassier here.  Remote island with tiny population and no places like Leith.

Not sure if this is the right thread or not.

Is anyone getting worried that the likelihood of new restrictions coming in will effect the start of the championship. I can see how the leagues will start / continue without testing.

32 minutes ago, Rods said:

I reckon now Feb before fans are through the gates. 

Na not this season some clubs going to the wall no doubt

Italian Lambretta
53 minutes ago, His name is said:

Not sure if this is the right thread or not.

Is anyone getting worried that the likelihood of new restrictions coming in will effect the start of the championship. I can see how the leagues will start / continue without testing.

Big decision by the government tomorrow. How can they expect us to play other teams that have no testing in place?

Also the start of the league cup will cause havoc with Premiership clubs and us having to play teams from league 1 & 2.

The shit is going to hit the fan again very soon so i expect Liewell will be on the blower to Duncaster about 10 in a row

If fans are allowed back it's going to be very low numbers.

Everything mainly will be to minimise indoor contacts. Toilets, leaving the ground as well as transport to and from games is the main problems. 

Some grounds including Celtic Park are not well designed - it's too tight and you are indoors too much. Murrayfield being all outdoors might have to be considered. 

Good luck with the finances SPFL clubs. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If fans are allowed back it's going to be very low numbers.

Everything mainly will be to minimise indoor contacts. Toilets, leaving the ground as well as transport to and from games is the main problems. 

Some grounds including Celtic Park are not well designed - it's too tight and you are indoors too much. Murrayfield being all outdoors might have to be considered. 

Good luck with the finances SPFL clubs. 

Hearts should reopen the back of the Wheatfield, Gorgie and Roseburn stands to the elements.

Toilets are a big constraint though but I thought an online booking app should resolve that. 🤩

16 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

There will be no fans inside stadia in Scotland, and probably in the UK, for the duration of this season. 

Just my opinion, but reading between the lines of today's soundings then I reckon there is not a chance.

Actually I wonder if there will even be a Championship......

We may only have two meaningful games this season, both in the Scottish Cup.....

You might be right.

19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Hearts should reopen the back of the Wheatfield, Gorgie and Roseburn stands to the elements.

Toilets are a big constraint though but I thought an online booking app should resolve that. 🤩

The socially distanced queue to the old toilets at the top of the Shed could stretch to Balerno. 

Guest ToqueJambo
42 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

There will be no fans inside stadia in Scotland, and probably in the UK, for the duration of this season. 

Just my opinion, but reading between the lines of today's soundings then I reckon there is not a chance.

We may only have two meaningful games this season, both in the Scottish Cup.....

Unfortunately I've really pessimistic about the Championship playing. Even if we pay for our opponents to get tested in games against us to safeguard our players, which I assume we might do, are all the other teams even training yet?

I wonder if we can go down another legal route if it doesn't happen. We did say at the time that it was restriction of trade to punt a team into a league the SPFL knew may not be able to play.

In Belgium and France top flight teams were at least demoted into functioning, FT leagues. We always knew our Championship is very different from French and Belgium second tiers, which made the punishment for demotion potentially much bigger for us than teams in those countries that went down the same route of ending the league.

Edited by ToqueJambo

40 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

i think you are correct.  Clubs below the premiership cannot operate without crowds.. there won’t be any crowds of any significance gathering in stadiums this season. 

in fact, most of the premiership teams wil struggle 

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

i think you are correct.  Clubs below the premiership cannot operate without crowds.. there won’t be any crowds of any significance gathering in stadiums this season. 

in fact, most of the premiership teams wil struggle 

True. Hamilton, St Mirren, Livvy... Even Aberdeen said they couldn't survive with no crowds. This yet again shows how reconstructing the leagues, and looking closely at the timings ie delaying the start closer to when crowds might be back as the Championship did, with only teams that can afford to play with no crowds was the thing to explore. Even if we ended up with one 10 team league playing and everyone else mothballed and given financial support. But it was never even considered because... Celtic and their 9 in a row, Celtic and their 10 in a row, Celtic in Europe..... Staring the Premiership August 1st was a nonsense given it was obvious how long it would be before crowds were back.

We should have focused on finishing the previous season and properly explored reconstruction and later starting dates, with the key question for every club before making any decisions being "How long can you play with no crowds?" with their answer backed up by crunched financial numbers. The SPFL just acted like there was no pandemic and it was business as usual for the new season.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Not a chance if we get more restrictions that the season in our league will play out. The SPFL will do all they can to make sure the top league continues while not bothering about the rest. I suspect the majority of clubs will be quite happy at that as they won't have funds to test or keep the clubs open with the no fans coming in. 

25 minutes ago, Rods said:

I am very concerned the incompetent board of the SPFL have no plan for the lower leagues. 

Unfortunately, they have no plan for anything other than keeping Celtic happy.

Or so it seems. 
No plan for a league sponsor.

No plan for testing outwith the Premiership.

No plan for enduring the 2nd tier starts and completes, never mind 3rd and 4th.

No real plan for an outbreak of covid within a Premiership club.

No plan for the financial shortfall that another curtailment of the season would cause.

But they have a ceo/secretary who earns over £400k.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
35 minutes ago, Rods said:

I am very concerned the incompetent board of the SPFL have no plan for the lower leagues. 

Right from the start they seem to have taken he attitude that if the lower leagues don’t start or have to be abandoned, it’s one of those things and who really cares.

As someone else alluded to, their only priority this season will be making sure Celtic get their shot at 10 in a row, as proven by the fact that they’ve fined Celtic rather than awarding the postponed game against them. I bet even awarding that fine was agony for them.

This is honestly beyond my comprehension.  What are clubs like Raith and Arbroath living off?  Do they have any employees being paid?  What are their sources of income, if any?

Simply can't understand it.

If the championship isn’t played then how do they then go ahead with the Scottish cup? If we aren’t able to play competitive games then surely, even the ****ing SFA have to consider voiding the competition?

The championship was delayed until October because that was when we were expecting crowds to be allowed in.  Doesn’t take a genius to work out what will happen now that there is zero chance of that happening.

Oh well looks like we will be seeing a lot of diddy clubs round about us die.

:jjyay:

shame.