Arsenal fc redundancies.

Angel eyes

Arsenal have announced 55 redundancies due to Covid 19.....now just say average is 35k so that’s 2million saved yet their wage bill last season was 230 million. This season they’ve qualified for the Europa league that’s 40 million+F.A Cup 3.6 million 

or that disgusting article Ozil gets paid & £350k A WEEK for doing nothing......🤔 hardly fair is it,eh

2 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Arsenal have announced 55 redundancies due to Covid 19.....now just say average is 35k so that’s 2million saved yet their wage bill last season was 230 million. This season they’ve qualified for the Europa league that’s 40 million+F.A Cup 3.6 million 

or that disgusting article Ozil gets paid & £350k A WEEK for doing nothing......🤔 hardly fair is it,eh

Ozil gets paid what he agreed with the club.

Not his fault people are being paid off.

I believe he does a lot for charity as well.

You should look at the people that own Arsenal they are probably Billionaires.

Is shocking that people will loose their jobs when the club makes a fortune

joondalupjambo

Arsenal players had all agreed wage cuts of 12.5% before these redundancies so guess they have already stepped up to an extent.  I guess the club could have gone back to the players and ask they go for bigger cuts saying if you do that we can save these people's jobs.  Who knows what goes on behind the scenes though.  

35 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Players should offer to take a 1% pay cut fo help save these jobs. 

Probably announcing these redundancies in the press to put pressure on players to take a pay cut to keep staff on 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Probably the most repulsive story of the year. 

I get sustainability and so on but not when someone gets 350k a week 

If arsenal believe draconian measures are necessary, what about championship clubs in Scotland?

The short-term future has surely never been so uncertain.

1 hour ago, Madjambo21 said:

Doesn’t take away from the fact that players wages are frankly disgusting!

6 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Doesn’t take away from the fact that players wages are frankly disgusting!

At top level you are correct but if you were a player you would do the same.

Short career and could be all over with one bad challenge.

Also if you earn 350k a week but the guys who are asking you to take a pay cut are millionaires would you do it.

Put that situation into your job

2 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

At top level you are correct but if you were a player you would do the same.

Short career and could be all over with one bad challenge.

Also if you earn 350k a week but the guys who are asking you to take a pay cut are millionaires would you do it.

Put that situation into your job

The big money that top clubs in England pay out to their players does not come from the owners - it comes from the massive TV money.

Anyway where ever it comes from paying a man £350k per week to play football is just sick in today’s society.

Edited by Thomaso

3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The big money that top clubs in England pay out to their players does not come from the owners - it comes from the massive TV money.

Anyway where ever it comes from paying a man £350k per week to play football is just sick in today’s society.

Not saying the money comes from the owners pockets but it comes from the club due to tv/sponsors and season tickets amongst other things.

I agree it's a lot of money to earn but it's not sick to earn that much that's just life.

You get paid for the job you do.

Rumours they just offered Aubamayang a new contract at 300k a week as well. 

Should not be allowed to offer wage increases if they are letting folk go.

Sadly nothing in the EPL surprises me (much the same in the circus up here but for different reasons).

The money down there is obscene and (without knowing the ins and outs of it) it looks shameful. 

willie wallace

The main man at Arsenal is Stan Kroenke who also owns the LA Rams.

Their new stadium which is due to open this season is part of a $5 million development.

He also owns a ranch which is bigger than New York so you can see his need to make redundancies at Arsenal.😥

He also left St.Louis without a team so I don't think he will be too worried.

14 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

The main man at Arsenal is Stan Kroenke who also owns the LA Rams.

Their new stadium which is due to open this season is part of a $5 million development.

He also owns a ranch which is bigger than New York so you can see his need to make redundancies at Arsenal.😥

He also left St.Louis without a team so I don't think he will be too worried.

Think you mean $5 BILLION dollars for the stadium....

No arguments with the rest of your points though 👍

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Ozil should just go money grabbing weasel! Does not want to play driven by money no respect for for club nor fans.

51 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Not saying the money comes from the owners pockets but it comes from the club due to tv/sponsors and season tickets amongst other things.

I agree it's a lot of money to earn but it's not sick to earn that much that's just life.

High paid footballers, celebrities and fat cat business bosses should be taxed at 90% after the first 300k per annum of earnings imo. 

****ing ridiculous amounts they earn compared to folk that really matter like health and care workers. 😕

This is the club that used to be known as the Bank Of England club so if they are in trouble God help the rest! 

8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

High paid footballers, celebrities and fat cat business bosses should be taxed at 90% after the first 300k per annum of earnings imo. 

****ing ridiculous amounts they earn compared to folk that really matter like health and care workers. 😕

Don't disagree that health workers, fire service and police all should be paid more for the jobs they do but that's not the way the world works unfortunately.

You tax the rich that much they move elsewhere and take their companys with them.

We lose the business and the jobs they brought.

With all that goes on in the world is footballers and celebs getting paid too much the worst thing 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Don't disagree that health workers, fire service and police all should be paid more for the jobs they do but that's not the way the world works unfortunately.

You tax the rich that much they move elsewhere and take their companys with them.

We lose the business and the jobs they brought.

With all that goes on in the world is footballers and celebs getting paid too much the worst thing 🤷‍♂️

Capitalism stinks. 😕

willie wallace
1 hour ago, brianmc said:

I am sure it is the whole project Brian.The stadium was around the 2 million mark.

Edited by willie wallace
Missing words

It's not just the lowest paid people being let go, it seems to be most of their scouting network.

Relying on Agents to offer players to the club is a pish decision.

Under Arsene Wenger the club got to the top by having a superb scouting network and finding hidden gems.

Henry, Flamini and Fabregas are three I can name off the top of my head.

4 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Not fair to blame Ozil but it certainly puts things into context.

3 hours ago, benny said:

Offer Willian less wages and keep staff on.

I don't think Chelsea paying their players less will keep Arsenal staff in a job.

Just now, Locky said:

Not fair to blame Ozil but it certainly puts things into context.

I don't think Chelsea paying their players less will keep Arsenal staff in a job.

Seemingly about to sign for Arsenal.

1 minute ago, benny said:

Seemingly about to sign for Arsenal.

Fair enough mate. I missed that one. Then again I'm just finding out City have shelled out £60 million on 2 players.

3 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Doctors, surgeons, nurses, firemen, ambulance workers, care home workers all “get paid for the job they do” and they are underpaid!

Top EPL players “get paid for the job they do” and they are disgustingly totally overpaid!

22 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Doctors, surgeons, nurses, firemen, ambulance workers, care home workers all “get paid for the job they do” and they are underpaid!

Top EPL players “get paid for the job they do” and they are disgustingly totally overpaid!

Absolutely bud, the obscene money being paid is a huge turn off for me also. It's not as if the product is that good either, the games are mostly dull and predictable. The huge inflation started during the Wenger vs Ferguson era when some quality was on show but it's got totally out of control. Hope the whole lot folds up.  

Edited by JackLadd

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, brianmc said:

Read a bit about that. 

Figures between $2.6- $5b have been touted for a ****ing stadium. 

Also, the got some tax payers money as well to help with it. 

2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

They are in the entertainment business and earn what their job reflects.

Millions of people watch them week in week out globally.

I don't get why people get bent out of shape over footballers wages.

Plenty of normal jobs where the harder working guy gets less cause it's not a "skilled job"

25 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Plenty of normal jobs where the harder working guy gets less cause it's not a "skilled job"

I agree with you to a point but it flies in the face of it being the people's game.  There is crazy money in the world now.  Kardashian billionaires.  Tiki Tok, whatever the hell it is, already worth more than the NZ economy.

I honestly find it bewildering.

1 hour ago, Madjambo21 said:

You are trying defend the indefensible! 

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

It's a lot of things but really it's market forces at work.

Millions want to watch the Premier league so billions are paid for TV rights. The clubs are chasing the riches and pay whatever it takes to get to them, and ultimately players are what will get you there.

The only way this ride stops is if the TV income crashes, and that only happens if people stop watching/paying, in the UK and further afield.

7 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

:spoton:  And we all allow it. Mental! 

Nookie Bear
47 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm probably going against the grain here, but I'll say it anyway.

I don't know what roles the redundant staff had, but I would imagine that many of them were involved in ticketing, stewarding, match day catering etc.  With football behind closed doors for the foreseeable, these jobs quite literally no longer exist. The riches of the owners and the wages of the players aren't relevant, these jobs have gone. Should Arsenal pay their staff to do nothing?

Kudos to any clubs who have so far avoided making staff redundant, but we don't know how long they will manage that for.

I'm redundant myself in September, by the way, so I know what it's like. And in my home area I have a lot less chance of another job than I would have if I was an ex-Arsenal employee living in and around London.

Ask Ozil 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I don't know what roles the redundant staff had, but I would imagine that many of them were involved in ticketing, stewarding, match day catering etc.  With football behind closed doors for the foreseeable, these jobs quite literally no longer exist. The riches of the owners and the wages of the players aren't relevant, these jobs have gone. Should Arsenal pay their staff to do nothing?

Kudos to any clubs who have so far avoided making staff redundant, but we don't know how long they will manage that for.

I'm redundant myself in September, by the way, so I know what it's like. And in my home area I have a lot less chance of another job than I would have if I was an ex-Arsenal employee living in and around London.

Good luck, been there pleased to be out of it. Always good to get a 2nd slant on the story.

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I would imagine most of the stewarding etc is agency staff. 

Its pretty indefensible when it'll save them probably about £1-£1.5m and they are giving willian £10m signing on fee. 

7 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

You are trying defend the indefensible! 

Maybe time I became a solicitor (defo pays more than my job)

Don't think we will agree with each other but respect your opinion.

All the best and we shall continue to support the famous 👍

3fingersreid

Not doing anything illegal 

Morally it’s corrupt

but that’s what I’d expect from that shower of 💩 

hopefully they’ll go on a downward spiral 

16 hours ago, DH1986 said:

My knee jerk reaction is to agree with this. 

But.... what is happening across industries at the moment is 'restructuring' - or clearing out the dead wood. The CFOs have been given a scythe and they know the 'time is now' to use it. You are seeing this most explicitly in advertising where entire departments that were superfluous to requirements have been emptied. Yes, worry for employees, but capitalism is at work - expect rising stock markets and rising unemployment over the foreseeable. 

Given that pretty much every football club (bar Manchester City arguably) is run in an antiquated fashion and has dead wood all over their org structure, off-loading a few staff in August is probably the tip of the iceberg. Crazy to think that back in 2008 very few EPL teams actually had an HR department anyway. Seriously, once you see inside these companies, you wonder how they got away with it for so long. 

Deodato 

25 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Maybe time I became a solicitor (defo pays more than my job)

Don't think we will agree with each other but respect your opinion.

All the best and we shall continue to support the famous 👍

👍