Great Song Cover Versions

Cade

It doesn't get much better than The Rolling Stones covering Bob Dylan. 'Like A Rolling Stone'

Acid trip like video featuring Patricia Arquette.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• frankblack

• Tazio

• ri Alban

I've been listening to this album a lot lately and have found myself particularly enjoying this track. Probably the only one where I think I like it more than the original, albeit in a very different way.

Tommy Brown
17 hours ago, Boof said:

Holy cow!

Just disco-vered this. Awesome!

Hi boof,

why do you feel that is awsome? 

IMO it is just a live replica of the original, no artistic input to change.

To me, a good cover, is when you listen to it and your mind knows the lyrics but you cant fathom out the song or who the original artist was.

(hope that makes sense.

24 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hi boof,

why do you feel that is awsome? 

IMO it is just a live replica of the original, no artistic input to change.

To me, a good cover, is when you listen to it and your mind knows the lyrics but you cant fathom out the song or who the original artist was.

(hope that makes sense.

I suppose because it IS a live replica. By Blondie, whom I would not have associated with the electro-disco sound.

To me (though you do make perfect sense) a good cover is when you DO know the song and it's done differently (The Beat - Tears of a Clown) or unexpectedly as in this example.

21 hours ago, frankblack said:

Therapy covered Husker Du and had a minor hit with it, but it would probably be banned now for its subject matter:

Therapy? have tonnes of covers, on top of those mentioned they have Iron Man, Ace of Spades, Don't fear the reaper, teenage kicks, breaking the law, you really got me and even we are family

"Plastic surgery disasters" by Dead Kennedys is  probably one thee most perfect punk albums.

This classic covered by Les Thugs is just wondeful.

6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I must admit that Birdy is an artist I like who doesn't fit in with most of my music taste.  One of my go to artists for more chilled out music.

jambos are go!
On 06/08/2020 at 07:00, ri Alban said:

Original. 

Although recorded first the earliest released version was by Gladys Knight and the Pips IIRC.

4 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Although recorded first the earliest released version was by Gladys Knight and the Pips IIRC.

Yip. But technically Gladys did a cover. 

Both from a John Peel CD "This CD isn't supposed to be mood-establishing. If anything, it's mood-demolishing. These are some of my favourite songs... there's a real risk I'll listen to nothing else ever again." John Peel 1939 - 2004

• 5 months later...
On 07/08/2020 at 01:07, Ulysses said:

Tori is always good for a cover version. There aren’t many people cover Led Zeppelin songs, never mind the way she does it. 

More of a guest vocalist than a cover. Fiona Apple singing I Want You with Elvis Costello and his band as back up. A lot of covers don’t really offer much but Jesus, she takes an already bitter emotional song and totally takes it to the next level.  I’ve just discovered it tonight and watched it twice in a row. Not the best video quality but the sound is good. She’s an amazing singer and songwriter. 

That Disturbed version of Sound Of Silence always crops up on these type of things and I just don’t get it. The guy has good vocal control and produces a lot of volume but I just don’t think it reflects the original song. I was unfortunate enough to see Miley Cyrus covering Fade Into You by Mazzy Star a few days ago and it was the same deal, killing subtlety. 

Shanks said no

I was a massive Clash fan back in the day but when I heard Jimmy Cliff sing Guns of Brixton it blew me away

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

That Disturbed version of Sound Of Silence always crops up on these type of things and I just don’t get it. The guy has good vocal control and produces a lot of volume but I just don’t think it reflects the original song. I was unfortunate enough to see Miley Cyrus covering Fade Into You by Mazzy Star a few days ago and it was the same deal, killing subtlety. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Tori is always good for a cover version. There aren’t many people cover Led Zeppelin songs, never mind the way she does it. 

She has a way of reinterpreting what she covers, that's for sure.

Once upon a time Id have posted Marilyn Manson, I'm thinking Tainted Love but he did others.  This is going to be like Michael Jackson now - does my love of the music outweigh what he did.

15 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Once upon a time Id have posted Marilyn Manson, I'm thinking Tainted Love but he did others.  This is going to be like Michael Jackson now - does my love of the music outweigh what he did.

I’ve never been a fan, and quite by coincidence one of the things that I found out of order were his comments about Fiona Apple who I posted a song by further up the thread. 

10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

A couple of versions of songs that I think are better than those released by bigger named acts.

That Kula Shaker cover never really impressed me - it was a bit too similar to Deep Purple's version.

12 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I was a massive Clash fan back in the day but when I heard Jimmy Cliff sing Guns of Brixton it blew me away

Oh that is GOOD !

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Oh that is GOOD !

It’s a rare one, when Jimmy Cliff’s version would normally be thought of as the original with the Clash punking it up.

even stranger is the line

You see, he feels like Ivan

given that Jimmy Cliff played the part of Ivan in the 1972 film “the harder they come”

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

Paul Simon wrote to the band praising it, so that's a ringing endorsement.

Walk on by. The Stranglers

Wherever I lay my hat. Paul Young

Nothing Compares 2 U. Sinead O Connor

Stripped.  Rammstein 

Personal Jesus.  Covenant.  Does  a remix count?

• 3 weeks later...