• Cade

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Tazio

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Салатные палочки
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It would certainly tie in with the tactic Israel used to use in previous conflicts. Fly in low from the sea, hit an area and then give it a few minutes and then hit the exact same target again with another plane. 

What's the purpose of that tactic? To maximise casualties? 

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

What's the purpose of that tactic? To maximise casualties? 

The Lebanese said it was to hit the area after emergency services arrived to weaken the ability to react to future attacks. 

Central Belt 1874
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Ah...it's gone from fireworks to explosive material now. 

20200804_183812.jpg

Yes. Clearly not a 'Firework Factory explosion'.

The pictures and interviews from Al Jazeera suggest that this will cripple the country. The port has been obliterated. 

Some people saying that their bread supplies are imported and that the situation in the area and covid had already brought the country to its knees. 

Devastating. 

Shanks said no
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That was my possibly badly worded point. If it was military jets the locals will know exactly what they were hearing and report accordingly. 

Wasn't meant as a dig. The airport is 6 miles from the explosion, roughly Tynecastle to Turnhouse, if people were noticing jets I have doubts they were from the airport.

34 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Sorry lads, disagree, no danger is that fireworks. No danger. 

It may have been a fireworks factory there as cover for something else, there's no danger was that fireworks exploding. 

Most likely it was something to do with Hezbollah, Iran and it was hit by an Israeli missile. 

When I was working in Holland this happened ...

Some Lebanese officials now saying the warehouse was storing "highly explosive materials" that had been confiscated from various sources and had been there for years and years.

Ze plot thickens.

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

The initial site of the first explosion is. As to what definitely caused the second larger one...I'm of a mind, upon seeing other footage, that something else went bang. Including the fireworks.

I'm inclined to think Israel in some manner. But as has been said, you'll just never know.

Israel not claiming it but given the location and its history, it wouldn't be the first time weapons were dropped on that area. 

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

When I was working in Holland this happened ...

I've seen that and the one that went up in Turkey. 

That defo wasn't fireworks exploding. I've seen gas tanks, petrol tanks explode, they don't have a massive vacuum and 10 mile shock wave, then a mushroom cloud like that. That explosion was more similar to a Thermobaric Missile or Bunker Buster missile due to the vacuum. Folk heard it in Cyprus. 

14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Israel not claiming it but given the location and its history, it wouldn't be the first time weapons were dropped on that area. 

I've seen that and the one that went up in Turkey. 

That defo wasn't fireworks exploding. I've seen gas tanks, petrol tanks explode, they don't have a massive vacuum and 10 mile shock wave, then a mushroom cloud like that. That explosion was more similar to a Thermobaric Missile or Bunker Buster missile due to the vacuum. Folk heard it in Cyprus. 

You said it couldn't be fireworks - I just pointed out what fireworks can do. 

Also , I believe the Enschede explosion was estimated to be 1.8 kiloton. 

40 minutes ago, Cade said:

Not sure that's your jurisdiction, ya wanks

Just knew they would have to get their tuppenceworth in.

Салатные палочки
40 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The Lebanese said it was to hit the area after emergency services arrived to weaken the ability to react to future attacks. 

Horrible but probably very effective. 

Jambo-Jimbo
14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's a bird you can see it flapping it's wings, and if it were a missile it must be the smallest bird sized missile in the world.

With inflation hitting 50% overall and some products in triple figures, the sight of those grain silos sitting in the middle of all that doesn't bode well for flour/bread prices.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's a bird you can see it flapping it's wings, and if it were a missile it must be the smallest bird sized missile in the world.

You must have amazing eyesight. 

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Fireworks creating what is clearly a pretty vicious shock wave?   H.E. or something like an acetylene cylinder I reckon. 

Ammonium nitrate will do that no problem. That's what I think was involved. One of the videos I seen shows what looks like a bit of dark orange smoke before the explosion. Thats nitrogen oxide compounds given off as AN heats up and starts to thermally decompose before detonating. 

Similar to what happened in Nevada a while back. Although that was AP rather than AN. 

https://youtu.be/_KuGizBjDXo

Edited by trotter

16 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Neil Doncaster says it was just fireworks 

Hearts to be deducted 15 points for not stopping it

31 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

And the bomb/explosion experts are here . 😂

Thought I'd have a dabble. 

sketch-1596566517689.thumb.jpg.ca689fb488a649ce106085927b0431e4.jpg

The white flash is immediately before the explosion. 

A few other screenshots from the video are below. 

Screenshot_20200804-193304_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2dd0d84186477b28570a0ab0b8902122.jpg

Screenshot_20200804-192950_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1fd2b595bee8f9437038d92b5cd3daa8.jpgScreenshot_20200804-193448_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6783650b4b7026ef2e8a8a574aae6868.jpg

been here before

I love these threads.

Tailor made for the JKB Experts On Everything.

I imagine the eyes of the world are focusing on this thread for answers.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's a bird you can see it flapping it's wings, 

Aye, but it's a thermobaric bird.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Smack said:

Thought I'd have a dabble. 

sketch-1596566517689.thumb.jpg.ca689fb488a649ce106085927b0431e4.jpg

The white flash is immediately before the explosion. 

A few other screenshots from the video are below. 

Screenshot_20200804-192950_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1fd2b595bee8f9437038d92b5cd3daa8.jpgScreenshot_20200804-193448_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6783650b4b7026ef2e8a8a574aae6868.jpg

I’ll have a dabble, this is the money shot.

34C7D581-52B6-4ABA-9AF6-43F352CB01E0.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Clearly better than yours. 😄

No really, I never said it was or was not something. 🤷 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

With inflation hitting 50% overall and some products in triple figures, the sight of those grain silos sitting in the middle of all that doesn't bode well for flour/bread prices.

It's toast.

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm only messing, bud.👍🏻

Seen these...?😬

Fireworks 🤪 that’s some mental footage caught there. That building on the right made to look like matchsticks.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Imagine how much mental footage there would be if 9/11 had happened post-smartphone. 

Some of the footage I've saw on twitter has been really shocking. Even the colour of the blast. 

Crazy, last I saw was 30 dead and 3000 injured. Considering the size I'm shocked (and glad obviously) its not higher. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

No really, I never said it was or was not something. 🤷 

Indeed you didn't.

What I find the most telling thing is that nobody, maybe with the exception of social media are blaming anybody else.

The Lebanese are saying it was consficated explosives, Hezbollah are saying none of their arms dumps were involved & Israel are saying that they can't see anything to dispute the Lebanese version of events, even the Russians & the Iranians are quiet and not pointing the finger at anyone.

The Lebanese Prime Minister has said that the officials responsible will be held to account.

It is looking very much like a simple tragic accident.

The Mighty Thor
49 minutes ago, Barack said:

Thought I'd have a go too:

20200804_202238.jpg

It would have been a seagull. They're nasty feckers. 

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Seems like the "explosive material" being stored there, according to the Lebanese Army, was Ammonium Nitrate.

The chemistry buffs amongst us will agree, it's a tad explosive given the right set of events...

Yup...

1 hour ago, trotter said:

Ammonium nitrate will do that no problem. That's what I think was involved. One of the videos I seen shows what looks like a bit of dark orange smoke before the explosion. Thats nitrogen oxide compounds given off as AN heats up and starts to thermally decompose before detonating. 

Similar to what happened in Nevada a while back. Although that was AP rather than AN. 

https://youtu.be/_KuGizBjDXo

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Nearly 3 tons of it.

Read something on twitter about 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate being stored at the port. 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Read something on twitter about 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate being stored at the port. 

This picture shows what happens when 4,500 tonnes really go for it. Oppau, Germany. 

467b6617d4c581e8da96a440d9448b25.jpg

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Pretty much the world's biggest ever non-nuclear bomb then.

NH4 NO3 + fireworks + grain silo dust + spark

= that.

Aye I'd love to see the port authority risk assessment for that lot. 

Someone's arse will be twitching like a rabbit's nose. 

Just now, Barack said:

Pretty much the world's biggest ever non-nuclear bomb then.

NH4 NO3 + fireworks + grain silo dust + spark

= that.

I did an iduction course to get a pass to work at Roseisle Distillery for a contract job, the videos of dust explosions were a reall eye opener, I had no idea about it before, they were, quite rightly, paranoid about them.