Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Tazio

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's a Thermobaric Bomb. So it must have been fired by the US, UK or most likely, Israel. 

Russian/Syrian is a good possibility

Other angles show the building is already burning and then explodes. Sadly as it is Beirut people instantly presume the worst. though apparently here have been other explosions reported. 

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

Russian/Syrian is a good possibility

Could be the Russians. I thought they were pals with folk in Beruit though. I don't think the Syrians have those type of very expensive weapons as it is quite a modern tech. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

Could be the Russians. I thought they were pals with folk in Beruit though. I don't think the Syrians have those type of very expensive weapons as it is quite a modern tech. 

Who knows, looks brutal whatever.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Other angles show the building is already burning and then explodes. Sadly as it is Beirut people instantly presume the worst. though apparently here have been other explosions reported. 

Holy shit. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Holy shit. 

If you go onto twitter Beirut is trending and there are views from several angles, including from boats off the shore. Whatever it was it was massive. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Sky News reporting that Local Lebanese TV stations are saying that there is a large fireworks factory/storage facility located in that area.

Whatever it was, it was some explosion.

The White Cockade
25 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's a Thermobaric Bomb. So it must have been fired by the US, UK or most likely, Israel. 

Or a fireworks factory exploding

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Smack said:

In the second video, you can see lots of what looks like fireworks going off and then the big explosion.

Fireworks creating what is clearly a pretty vicious shock wave?   H.E. or something like an acetylene cylinder I reckon. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Fireworks creating what is clearly a pretty vicious shock wave?   H.E. or something like an acetylene cylinder I reckon. 

Fireworks...

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Lebanese health minister says it was as ship carrying fireworks.

Israeli Defence Force says "no comment"

A ship? Inside a building?

Some of those videos are equal part terrifying and fascinating.

The shockwave was brutal and shows the power of gunpowder explosions, which are slower than weapons explosives but provide more of a "push" force than "blast"

luckyBatistuta

Plenty more rockets going off on what happened.

There will also be some young rockets here trying to find out if they can get there hands on those type of fireworks for bonfire night.

Lebanese army says it was a fire at a fireworks storage that then spread to a nitrate store and that's what blew up.

I mean, storing fertilizer next to fireworks is kind of asking for trouble.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lebanese health minister says it was as ship carrying fireworks.

Israeli Defence Force says "no comment"

'No comment' is a comment of sorts as opposed to actually not commenting. If they had said 'aye sound' 'giruy' or 'shit happens' then I'd be thinking fair enough. 

The Lebanese seem to be tying themselves in knots a bit, but are not pointing the finger at Israel which tells a story. Not sure what story though. 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Next to grain silo's.

The silo’s look wrecked. 
Id imagine a large number of fatalities. Tragic for that country, the last thing they needed.

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Plenty of things out there now that this area is "supposedly" where Hezbollah stores its weapons, and are shipped off here from Iran.

It might well be a fireworks factory. But I can just as easily see the alternative narrative being  true.

Yeah, the video from the port does look a bit more like bullets fizzing about. What do I know though 🤷‍♂️ Time will (maybe) tell. 

Several reports of hearing jets in the sky in the minutes before the blast.

But then there is an airport in the city.

Speculation doesn't achieve much. Tend to the wounded, get the fires out then take stock.

Gas is terrifying. Have to wonder how many people were outside like 'wooo look fireworks' then a massive explosion knocks them to the floor in seconds. Crazy

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Several reports of hearing jets in the sky in the minutes before the blast.

But then there is an airport in the city.

Speculation doesn't achieve much. Tend to the wounded, get the fires out then take stock.

If the residents of any city in the world can tell the difference between commercial airliners and military jets it’s Beirut. 

On a totally off topic subject, I had a drink with a few guys from Beirut when in Turkey and they were some of the nicest people I've met... one didn't know who Tiger Woods was though wtf

1 hour ago, The White Cockade said:

Or a fireworks factory exploding

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Easy there, Han Solo. Been confirmed as a fireworks storage factory. 

2020 brings up yet another winner...😬

Sorry lads, disagree, no danger is that fireworks. No danger. 

It may have been a fireworks factory there as cover for something else, there's no danger was that fireworks exploding. 

Most likely it was something to do with Hezbollah, Iran and it was hit by an Israeli missile. 

Edited by Cruyff

Салатные палочки

That shock wave :wow:

All of that footage is incredible. 

18 minutes ago, Barack said:

For context and those who like coincidences, there has been recent activity by Hezbollah against Israel.

Netanyahu warned Lebanon only yesterday about testing them, and Israel would do whatever's necessary.

Then today, in a port where it's apparently an open secret that Hezbollah receive weapons deliveries too, goes bang...interesting timing.

Indeed .

The Internet

Cnn have got a building out there, few miles from the blast, and one of their reporters is speaking from a room that looks like it's just been utterly levelled. Window blown out, debris lying around, lights flickering, all sorts. 

Eel4rO4XYAQao7X?format=jpg&name=large

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Cnn have got a building out there, few miles from the blast, and one of their reporters is speaking from a room that looks like it's just been utterly levelled. Window blown out, debris lying around, lights flickering, all sorts. 

Eel4rO4XYAQao7X?format=jpg&name=large

That the same CNN caught faking before in disaster zones.

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If the residents of any city in the world can tell the difference between commercial airliners and military jets it’s Beirut. 

Beirut Rafic Hariri Airport isn't currently that busy, like all others they have a lot of cancellations. Averaging 1-2 arrivals and 1-2 departures an hour. If they were hearing multiple jets I would doubt they are commercial.

2 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Watching on Al Jazeera, almost all witnesses mentioning Jets/Planes/ missiles.

It would certainly tie in with the tactic Israel used to use in previous conflicts. Fly in low from the sea, hit an area and then give it a few minutes and then hit the exact same target again with another plane. 

3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Beirut Rafic Hariri Airport isn't currently that busy, like all others they have a lot of cancellations. Averaging 1-2 arrivals and 1-2 departures an hour. If they were hearing multiple jets I would doubt they are commercial.

That was my possibly badly worded point. If it was military jets the locals will know exactly what they were hearing and report accordingly.