Women in football

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

***warning, may cause some posters to explode ***

BBC reporting that the Dutch fa allowing mixed teams at amateur level in a pilot scheme. 

Not be long before it is mixed at every level  but very few women would make the grade as it stands, but it looks like before long they'll all have the chance. 

A young Dutch lass is joiing a team in their 4 teir. 

3fingersreid

I’m sure most know about my support of the women’s game and whilst at a very young age it’s possible to have mixed teams , this for me is a step too far .

Crikey! Whatever next? Women MSPs? Honestly, it doesn't matter a hoot whether it is plumbing or football. A person is either good enough or not. Gender should never be an issue.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m sure most know about my support of the women’s game and whilst at a very young age it’s possible to have mixed teams , this for me is a step too far .

Unsure how Tbh. 

If they are good enough they'll make it, if not they won't. 

Giving them the opportunity changes nothing, other than they have the same opportunity as men. How it should be imo, whether any women get to the standard of the men's professional league is another debate tho. 

Салатные палочки

Be a long time before a woman will be good enough to play in a men's team at a decent level. Even watching the womens world cup, the standard at times was terrible. Joel Perriera could play in goals for them and be an improvement, that's how bad they are. 

The fear that some sports women have is that if you allow mixed teams or events depending on the sport, over time the women's only leagues and events will regress and lose funding meaning only a small minority of exceptional women will be able to take part at all and very few of them at the very top level. As an example the Williams sisters dominated women's tennis and made millions, if it were a mixed sport they would struggle to break the top 200 and you would never have heard of them. 

3fingersreid
8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Unsure how Tbh. 

If they are good enough they'll make it, if not they won't. 

Giving them the opportunity changes nothing, other than they have the same opportunity as men. How it should be imo, whether any women get to the standard of the men's professional league is another debate tho. 

The difference in physicality is the first and main factor for me  , last year Hearts women played a friendly against a youth team from Falkirk , even that level showed up the difference in speed and power , even though a couple of the women could’ve potentially been old enough to be the boys mothers . 
I’ll not condemn it but I don’t think it’ll be a positive . 

Harry Potter
23 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Crikey! Whatever next? Women MSPs? Honestly, it doesn't matter a hoot whether it is plumbing or football. A person is either good enough or not. Gender should never be an issue.

Very good post, now im going back to the 80s , when playing for Corstorphine thistle,

sunday league, the other team brought on a female, she was brilliant , not many women

players back then .

Some of us were scared to tackle her in the fear she would get hurt, think it was more the reason in case she got the better of us with the ball😮.

Edited by Harry Potter

Jamstomorrow
26 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Quite agree!  Lets see men joining women's teams.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

***warning, may cause some posters to explode ***

BBC reporting that the Dutch fa allowing mixed teams at amateur level in a pilot scheme. 

Not be long before it is mixed at every level  but very few women would make the grade as it stands, but it looks like before long they'll all have the chance. 

A young Dutch lass is joiing a team in their 4 teir. 

I've been involved with ladies football and I can see the benefit of this in areas where there are insufficient numbers to make up a league of ladies teams or simply to get a ladies team playing regularly. 

Other than that, I cannot foresee how this is going to be a regular thing : women just don't have the strength to compete with men and even more rarely do they have the skill levels. In the ten years or so I was involved I only ever saw two ladies good/strong enough but they were outstanding and went on to play pro level in England. 

Another thing to consider is that gender isn't the only characteristic that sport uses to categorise people. There are weight categories in most combat sports, disability classifications, and age categories for youths and older athletes for almost all sports. The purpose is to encourage participation not to prejudice particular groups. So they are probably right to be cautious and start with a pilot to see how it affects the established leagues. 

I’ve not got a problem with this but I’m sure women players would reach a certain level then the physical side would surely come into play.

Having said that look at boxing and you have Nicola Adams, Katie Taylor etc. They would punch the heid right of my shoulders.

colinmaroon
3 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I’ve not got a problem with this but I’m sure women players would reach a certain level then the physical side would surely come into play.

Having said that look at boxing and you have Nicola Adams, Katie Taylor etc. They would punch the heid right of my shoulders.

With all due respect, you are no Lennox Lewis.

Just now, colinmaroon said:

With all due respect, you are no Lennox Lewis.

Colin if I entered a boxing ring now I’d probably have a heart attack!

btw Katie Taylor has represented ROI in football at u17 and u19.

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Spot on- if any player is good enough they should get the chance imo 

heatonjambo

As someone with a daughter who is pretty good at sport this is a disaster waiting to happen.

the finalists at the last womans World Cup, USA v Netherlands, had warm up matches before the tournament.

USA got beat 7-0 from an under 16 college team.

netherlands where 7-0 down at halftime to Newcastle United under 16.

its a physical thing, not technical, or cerebral 

Used to play quite a bit in my day. We got to take part in a finals tournament down in Manchester after winning a tournament up here. The finals had youth teams from clubs like Villa and City and a female team from London, might've been Crystal Palace, can't remember. We were outclassed by a fair bit when we came up against the lads from Villa and City, but the female team were absolutely brutal. A few of their players were technically very good but they really struggled to cope with the physicality of playing against lads and a few of them were hurt because of that.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have women match up against men in a contact sport.

Stendelsarmy
5 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Used to play quite a bit in my day. We got to take part in a finals tournament down in Manchester after winning a tournament up here. The finals had youth teams from clubs like Villa and City and a female team from London, might've been Crystal Palace, can't remember. We were outclassed by a fair bit when we came up against the lads from Villa and City, but the female team were absolutely brutal. A few of their players were technically very good but they really struggled to cope with the physicality of playing against lads and a few of them were hurt because of that.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have women match up against men in a contact sport.

This for me. It just isn't going to happen, ever, for that reason.

There are some really good woman players out their, however for me the goalkeeping raises question marks. I know it won't happen that quickly but can you imagine Ronaldo smashing the ball towards a female keeper? It would got straight through her, pretty much like what we had to watch with Pereira.

Edited by Mr 3 Putt

10 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

There are some really good woman players out their, however for me the goalkeeping raises question marks. I know it won't happen that quickly but can you imagine Ronaldo smashing the ball towards a female keeper? It would got straight through her, pretty much like what we had to watch with Pereira.

Bit harsh on female keepers. 

Maiden Gorgie
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Bit harsh on female keepers. 

It isn't really to be fair. They are horrendous, almost without exception

Should just make it mixed, would be brilliant and I would fully support a hearts team that contained women players/coaches.  

I could imagine folk like Megan Rapinoe would be well against it though, making lawsuits because they demand equal pay.  Would be a shock when their equal pay actually gets them Bonnyrigg rose levels of pay. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's all about abilities. 

You either cope with a level or you find your way to the level you are capable of. 

How it should be 

Maiden Gorgie

My mates sister came along to a kick about years ago, she was with hibs but before they got good admittedly.

Plenty of skill but another mate of mine put in the most powder puff challenge you have ever seen and broke her ankle.

Now that could also easily happen with two guys making the challenge but I bet this would be commonplace

13 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Meanwhile in more interesting news it was raining today....

Why bother posting if you are not interested in the subject ? 

Anyway back on topic I tend to think of Woman's sport as a separate game. 

There are some great Ladies Sports athletes in their own gender groups but it would be unfair to mix their sport with the men's sport. 

Might be alright for the likes of darts, snooker etc but not contact or physical sport. 

16 minutes ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

It isn't really to be fair. They are horrendous, almost without exception

It was a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

Ah, sorry bud

No worries. I should've put an emoji in but there's nowt for "poppadom hands" when I search. 

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

You kind of answered your own question there, if a useless **** like Perriera can sign for Man Utd then the door is open surely? The GKs in the women’s game are poor, they remind me of GKs from the 1950s. The reason appears to be that they aren’t coached due to finance. They will get better as more money is invested into the game. 
If guys like Bobby Burns and Chris Hamilton can play for us then some of these girls can play alongside them in the future.

Edited by Pasquale for King

I heard this on the radio driving home. At first I thought they were taking about the top professional league the way they were reporting it as big breaking news. I think we are a long long long way from mixed teams becoming the norm at any level.

Nah, sorry, this doesn't help anybody.  It definitely doesn't help Women's football improve, and could take funding away from dedicated Women's teams.  Not many women are going to make the breakthrough at a high level, so what is the point in them trying to push this?  There are some sports where it is feasible to have mixed teams, but unfortunately football just isn't one of them.

Imagine they brought quotas in - you'd end up with people there to tick a box instead of being there on merit or ability, and people who genuinely have worked hard and end up getting left out.  There should be more mixed coaching staff, and mixed training could also be a realistic approach, but when it comes to games, it's just not going to work.

What would help, is more money being diverted into Women's football and allowing the game to start to catch up to a decent level.  However, look at the seethe fest it caused on here when Hearts Women were on the end of a relatively minimal cash injection of £100,000 from the club.

Edited by tian447

Absolute Scenes

Nothing against women’s football

nothing against women

but mixed gender football is up there with some of the worst ideas ever.

1. biology: male bone stricter, muscle mass etc and general mass is higher than women’s so the unfair sporting advantage rules would surely rule this out

2. men tackling women: unless you’re a complete jack off, who is going to slice threw a woman (John Souter esq style on that wee fast ***** Hibs signed on loan a few seasons ago). Naturally it causes the game to become less competitive and more about including everyone and making everyone a winner. Subconsciously , some male players will try less against women, from fear of hurting them, unfair advantage in speed, strength etc. Can you imagine uche running at them.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE THE WORLD A SNOW GLOBE. THERES A REASON OT DOESNT HAPPEN NOW, TAKE OFF THE FEMINIST GLASSES.

rant over :)

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Why bother posting if you are not interested in the subject ? 

Anyway back on topic I tend to think of Woman's sport as a separate game. 

There are some great Ladies Sports athletes in their own gender groups but it would be unfair to mix their sport with the men's sport. 

Might be alright for the likes of darts, snooker etc but not contact or physical sport. 

They have tried it with snooker and darts but so far only a few women have gotten past round one of the major events. Both men amd women have issues with it though. The women who aren't the ones picked to play in the men's events are scared that the sponsorship for the women's events will stop, often the women's events can't attract sponsors and the sponsors of the men's events are contractually obliged to fund both, an argument that disappears if you have mixed events. And the men who miss out on qualification for the major events because spots have been reserved for the top female seeds take umbrage at the fact that they have been denied a chance to earn a living. Some have even argued that they should be able to complete in the top women's event as the prize money can be more than they men's lower level events dispite the standard being higher. 

Maiden Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

They have tried it with snooker and darts but so far only a few women have gotten past round one of the major events. Both men amd women have issues with it though. The women who aren't the ones picked to play in the men's events are scared that the sponsorship for the women's events will stop, often the women's events can't attract sponsors and the sponsors of the men's events are contractually obliged to fund both, an argument that disappears if you have mixed events. And the men who miss out on qualification for the major events because spots have been reserved for the top female seeds take umbrage at the fact that they have been denied a chance to earn a living. Some have even argued that they should be able to complete in the top women's event as the prize money can be more than they men's lower level events dispite the standard being higher. 

Darts and snooker are not contact sport obviously. Tennis is the best example for me illustrated above. It doesn't come down to ability but physicality. Thats where women are at a disadvantage and could get hurt.

But totally agree Womens football should obviously be encouraged and supported, but don't mix with mens.

7 minutes ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

Darts and snooker are not contact sport obviously. Tennis is the best example for me illustrated above. It doesn't come down to ability but physicality. Thats where women are at a disadvantage and could get hurt.

But totally agree Womens football should obviously be encouraged and supported, but don't mix with mens.

I was replaying to a post that said that it might be OK for snooker and darts which I agree there is no physical reason why that shouldn't be the case but as yet the female players haven't really been able to make much of an impact. However it helps to highlight some of the issues in terms of sponsorship etc. that could arise if we go down the integration root. A lot of female players could find that there is no longer a space for them to complete at all. And that is all the more likely in the more athletic or power based events. Like I said before about the Williams sisters, you would hardly have heard of them if they were ranked 200+ in the world and they are two of the best female athletes of all time. So it would destroy the chances of a full time athletic career for almost all women. 

fabienleclerq

It would harm womens football imo, some top players might make it to a decent standard but I doubt they'd be professional. The rest of the women's game would end up struggling. 

I wonder if they have one eye on dealing with trans people in sport, they obviously have a physical advantage over women.The aussie rules woman is almost comically bigger than her opposition. 

Pre-covid, womens football was going gangbusters in many countries and that's fantastic.  I think it's great to watch.

Other than for youngsters, I see no point in mixed teams where a womens structure is in place.

3 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

It would harm womens football imo, some top players might make it to a decent standard but I doubt they'd be professional. The rest of the women's game would end up struggling. 

I wonder if they have one eye on dealing with trans people in sport, they obviously have a physical advantage over women.The aussie rules woman is almost comically bigger than her opposition. 

Yeah it would undo a lot of the work to raise the profile of the women's game in recent years if the top players left to join low level men's teams. Also as someone said above it would dent the push for increasing wages if they had the opportunity to make more money elsewhere but couldn't make the grade. 

The trans question raises similar issues and fairly high profile female athletes like Sharon Davies have spoken out against it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if a certain number of women in a team became mandatory.

Ability is no longer the main criterion in much of society.

Awful idea.

Having a daughter I love the fact that the woman’s game is getting more exposure and finance. But it really is a different sport all together.

I remember my u17s boys club team played Hibs ladies in a friendly. Beat them 8-0 and that was with us afraid to tackle them

Stupid Sexy Flanders
6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

The difference in physicality is the first and main factor for me  , last year Hearts women played a friendly against a youth team from Falkirk , even that level showed up the difference in speed and power , even though a couple of the women could’ve potentially been old enough to be the boys mothers . 
I’ll not condemn it but I don’t think it’ll be a positive . 

What was the score? I've always thought that would be quite interesting, take the best women's team and have them play Cowdenbeath or something, just to see how they'd get on. I'd watch that game. 

3fingersreid
15 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

What was the score? I've always thought that would be quite interesting, take the best women's team and have them play Cowdenbeath or something, just to see how they'd get on. I'd watch that game. 

I’ll ask my daughter when I see her tomorrow . 

Nothing against women’s football (although it doesn’t interest me at all) , but keep the male and female leagues separate for gods sake. 
Id imagine it will probably come at some point but if I’m still alive I’d call it a day.

16 or 40 years old, male or female, black or white or brown or anything else, catholic or protestant or muslim or scientologist, 6 foot 6 or 5 foot nowt, none of that pish matters.

All that matters is are they good enough at football.

2 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Nothing against women’s football

nothing against women

but mixed gender football is up there with some of the worst ideas ever.

1. biology: male bone stricter, muscle mass etc and general mass is higher than women’s so the unfair sporting advantage rules would surely rule this out

2. men tackling women: unless you’re a complete jack off, who is going to slice threw a woman (John Souter esq style on that wee fast ***** Hibs signed on loan a few seasons ago). Naturally it causes the game to become less competitive and more about including everyone and making everyone a winner. Subconsciously , some male players will try less against women, from fear of hurting them, unfair advantage in speed, strength etc. Can you imagine uche running at them.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE THE WORLD A SNOW GLOBE. THERES A REASON OT DOESNT HAPPEN NOW, TAKE OFF THE FEMINIST GLASSES.

rant over :)

this

33 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Awful idea.

Having a daughter I love the fact that the woman’s game is getting more exposure and finance. But it really is a different sport all together.

I remember my u17s boys club team played Hibs ladies in a friendly. Beat them 8-0 and that was with us afraid to tackle them

Playing boys is about helping them to be pushed by a better team. No problem there. Also with the 8-0 who cares. Why does everyone want to highlight how they got pumped. Maybe the girls were happy with that result. Maybe they played better football at times but just weren't strong enough. Could you compare a 15 year old Usain bolt (junior world champ) with and Olympic womens sprinter. Bolt was 1 sec quicker. Or would we compare them.? Seems to be it's just football we have an issue with comparing sexes.