Elliot Frear taken on trial

Danguar

Kenneth Dubeke
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Mcdonalds problem is concentration from what I’ve seen. At times he looks like a David templeton on the ball, but a lot of the time he just doesn’t seem totally focused and up to speed with teammates. Henderson looks like a strong athlete, generally does the basics well, but again just not sure he actually has the desire to go at defenders, harass them and give them a torrid time, Naismith style. 

I think we saw flashes of that type of attitude with Moore, what interest me about him is the recent story about how his dad passed, and how much impact it had on him, I believe it was during or before that spell at Falkirk. He sounds motivated and full of desire. I thought it showed on the pitch. Not afraid to go at players and take on defenders. There’s no doubt he wants it. You need so much desire effort and commitment to be a Hearts player, more than other clubs.

But ultimately it’s quality end product which will determine everything for all 3 of them. That is the be all and end all when you’re an attacker, end product. Let’s see how they do in the championship 👍

Moore did have a difficult time personally. Can't write him off. Just not sure I see him creating much. I don't dismiss his work ethic. Reminds me of David Smith from last relegation. Plenty endeavour but limitations 

Lack of impact made by Macdonald and Cochrane last season in the league we're going into is a worry 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kenneth Dubeke

• Ari Gold

• Unknown user

• JamboAl

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Kenneth Dubeke said:

Moore did ok under Stendel.  He showed a good attitude and work rate. But surely that's a minimum expectation? Never looked like he could create anything. Let's not forget he couldn't get a game in League 1 for Falkirk 

Macdonald has something about him. Touch and awareness beyond what Moore and Henderson possess.  Hemderson looks pretty ordinary.  Charges about with no real end product 

So in other words, they could make it at Hearts, certainly in the Championship where it'll be easier to come up wth "end product", for example? You say Moore couldn't get a game with Falkirk to prove he can't make it, but Henderson could get a game with Montrose down there and did well. They are all young enough to improve and experienced enough not to be phased about playing in the first team for us in the Championship.

Kenneth Dubeke
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

So in other words, they could make it at Hearts, certainly in the Championship where it'll be easier to come up wth "end product", for example? You say Moore couldn't get a game with Falkirk to prove he can't make it, but Henderson could get a game with Montrose down there and did well. They are all young enough to improve and experienced enough not to be phased about playing in the first team for us in the Championship.

Could all make it. Good if they do 

Just don't see it with Henderson and Moore is more about effort and endeavour 

Macdonald has by far the most technical quality of the 3 in my opinion.  He and Cochrane are at a pivotal point I  their development 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Kenneth Dubeke said:

Could all make it. Good if they do 

Just don't see it with Henderson and Moore is more about effort and endeavour 

Macdonald has by far the most technical quality of the 3 in my opinion.  He and Cochrane are at a pivotal point I  their development 

I'm sure you'll be backing them all the way.

Kenneth Dubeke
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm sure you'll be backing them all the way.

I will 

I will also highlight if they aren't capable. Expectations at Tynecastle are rightly high. Very important,  now more than ever, that we don't accept failure and mediocrity 

23 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

What an over-reaction. The main takeaway should be we're prioritising wingers. We're building a squad for the Championship on a reduced budget so no doubt we'll be looking to combine experience and youth and will aim to have better players than the other teams in every position. Sam Nicolson showed that getting our number 1 targets might be tricky in the circumstances.

We should be building a squad for beyond the championship. Know nothing about Frear really and we’ll probably always need squad fillers in some positions but building a squad to win the championship is laughable. The standard of the other teams will be woeful. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We should be building a squad for beyond the championship. Know nothing about Frear really and we’ll probably always need squad fillers in some positions but building a squad to win the championship is laughable. The standard of the other teams will be woeful. 

What makes you think we won't be? Last season showed you need specific things for specific jobs. We didn't have the players to cope with a relegation battle (although they may have been had the last games been played) and it's the same for the Championship. We need players to win that league first and foremost.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

What makes you think we won't be?

The standard of the opposition and the vastly reduced budgets they will have in comparison to the minuscule budgets they had last year. We should be looking to build a squad of players who will learn and develop from the championship and be ready for the top flight next season. Not easy, but that’s what we should be at least attempting to do. 

17 minutes ago, Kenneth Dubeke said:

I will 

I will also highlight if they aren't capable. Expectations at Tynecastle are rightly high. Very important,  now more than ever, that we don't accept failure and mediocrity 

You sound like a previous poster with a different username.

Kenneth Dubeke
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

You sound like a previous poster with a different username.

Never posted previously 

Jamstomorrow
4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Quite right.

I wonder how many people were underwhelmed when we signed an unknown from a lower league Austrian team?  

3 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Robbie needs wingers. This boys available for a look. We have a good few weeks before we actually play.

What’s the problem with running the rule over the guy.

He seemed to do well in a half decent Motherwell and apparently turned down a contract renewal.

Can he hug the touchline and whip in good deliveries ? Does he have pace ? Nae idea ! 

Might be handy might not - hence the trial. 

F’n Robbie doing his job and actually LOOKING at players.

Whats wrong wi You Tube?

Robbo-Jambo
3 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Robbie needs wingers. This boys available for a look. We have a good few weeks before we actually play.

What’s the problem with running the rule over the guy.

He seemed to do well in a half decent Motherwell and apparently turned down a contract renewal.

Can he hug the touchline and whip in good deliveries ? Does he have pace ? Nae idea ! 

Might be handy might not - hence the trial. 

Exactly. 

He is on a trial. 

Might fit the bill, might be crap. 

It's not going to kill anyone having a look at the guy. 

Too much pant wetting on here at times. 

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hearts fans - we should do what Motherwell do and scout lower leagues.

Also Hearts fans, after taking a guy who previously done well at Motherwell on trial - **** sake Hearts, Budge oot!!

Well said :whistling:

Said it many times, they have very good scouting record from English leagues.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Very decent player for Motherwell. Guess consistency is what is lacking could be a useful 1 year deal 

Holyrood_Hearts

Some of the replies to this. Never seen the guy play or know much about him but all the scouts on here say he’s shit 🤷🏼‍♂️

Guest ToqueJambo
45 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Well said :whistling:

Said it many times, they have very good scouting record from English leagues.

We've done alright there recently too - McLaughlin, Dunne and Smith were outstanding signings. Boyce should be a great signing. Sibbick looked like he would have been very good. Clare, Lee, White and Washington, and even Uche, could yet come good.

Naismith, Walker and Lafferty obviously fall into the known quantity category, but I assume whoever was in charge of recruitment still had a role to play in signing them.

3 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I wonder how many people were underwhelmed when we signed an unknown from a lower league Austrian team?  

There are the usual suspects on here who would complain if we signed Messi and Ronaldo on frees at £10 per week.

Edited by JamboAl

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

There are the usual suspects on here who would complain if we signed Messi and Ronaldo on frees at £10 per week.

Aye bringing in a winger who is 30 next month is exactly like that.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Diadora Van Basten

It says it all for our recruitment that I am more excited about players leaving than players joining. I just see this as a waste of a jersey.

Is he that good - no

Is he likely to improve - no

Is he blocking the chance of a youngster coming through - yes

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Very decent player for Motherwell. Guess consistency is what is lacking could be a useful 1 year deal 

Probably a good guess. Typical of wingers. 

Francis Albert

Don't know about Frear but glad we are going to have a look at him before signing in contrast to the many stabs in the dark we have made for the past few years.

One thing that worries me is the sentiment expressed by a few that "he should be good enough for the "Championship". We need a very big step up in personnel, performance and attitude from last season. We won just one game against bottom six teams last season. I don't think there is a huge gap between bottom half of the Premiership and top half of the Championship and unless there is a major transformation I struggle to feel confident that we will bounce back up or that we justify being favourites to do so. We absolutely need to put a team out that is good enough for the Premiership as we did last time we were down. Or else we may be down for a while.

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Don't know about Frear but glad we are going to have a look at him before signing in contrast to the many stabs in the dark we have made for the past few years.

One thing that worries me is the sentiment expressed by a few that "he should be good enough for the "Championship". We need a very big step up in personnel, performance and attitude from last season. We won just one game against bottom six teams last season. I don't think there is a huge gap between bottom half of the Premiership and top half of the Championship and unless there is a major transformation I struggle to feel confident that we will bounce back up or that we justify being favourites to do so. We absolutely need to put a team out that is good enough for the Premiership as we did last time we were down. Or else we may be down for a while.

100%

Neilsons 1st job should be sending the rest of the squad to a sports scientist or physiologist. There is a losing culture at the club.

3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

100%

Neilsons 1st job should be sending the rest of the squad to a sports scientist or physiologist. There is a losing culture at the club.

Leaders on the pitch, which won't happen if we still have the same 11. 

Jambof3tornado

Plenty time and plenty options to choose from so no rush at all. Be amazed if we dont see a dozen or so player try out for us.

Clerry Jambo

Our current mob despite being pathetic for most of last season are more than good enough to get out of this shit division. We don’t need 4 or 5 players above what we have. Gordon is a quality signing, another 1 of this standard would be suffice. Obviously can’t take our eye off what’s in front of us this season, but we need to also look to hitting the ground running next season in the top league, being proactive as they say.

WheatfieldWarrior
9 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

If we’re looking at a 29 year old journeyman what’s that saying about the Moore’s Henderson’s McDonalds who we are trying to bring though and hopefully progress. 

Anyway only on trial for now but I don’t get the thinking on this one.

As I understand it, we have been looking for an experienced winger for a while - someone with a bit of consistency that the youngsters can learn from, so I'd imagine this is why we are looking at him.   

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Aye bringing in a winger who is 30 next month is exactly like that.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you see age as a problem then Frear is younger than both Messi and Ronaldo.

Nah, we wouldn't want them.  Too old.

Leveins Battalion
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If you see age as a problem then Frear is younger than both Messi and Ronaldo.

Nah, we wouldn't want them.  Too old.

Age is a problem when our keeper is 37 our centre half is 35 and our captain and striker is 34.

That's the spine of our team and we need to get the age down and sign some younger quality players.You do realise this?

Plus we have a squad that is made of chocolate and spends most of the time in the treatment room.

50 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Age is a problem when our keeper is 37 our centre half is 35 and our captain and striker is 34.

That's the spine of our team and we need to get the age down and sign some younger quality players.You do realise this?

Plus we have a squad that is made of chocolate and spends most of the time in the treatment room.

Maybe so but Frear is 29 not 34, 35 ot 37!

https://www.transfermarkt.com/elliott-frear/verletzungen/spieler/135111

Injury History for Motherwell, missed 12 games.  A recent ankle injury for Forest Green.  Apart from this he's had a injury free career if correct.  Always a bonus when looking for first team players.

17/18Knee InjuryDec 15, 2017Jan 31, 201847 days8

17/18ConcussionAug 28, 2017Sep 12, 201715 days1

17/18Knee InjuryAug 7, 2017Aug 22, 201715 days3

Kenneth Dubeke

If there are very few new additions it will be worth seeing what some of the current squad are capable of. They showed they could raise their game last season when they could be bothered. Similarly they were chronic against crap 

Maybe a good run next season could improve their collective confidence.  We aren't going to be able to make wholesale changes 

We don't want to be needing to make wholesale changes this time next season either. It's very unfortunate that Gordon,  Berra and Naismith are having to play in Championship at this stage in their respective careers. They're 3 of top earners and they're going to be 38 and 35 in case of Gordon and Naismith if/when we return. Berra will be out of contract at 36

500ClubCraig

Experienced left sided player who has also played as a wing-back, knows the Scottish game, add in Hickey possibly moving on and it make sense to have a look at him.

Hopefully there are a few more set to leave and make space for some new additions.

Stendelnator

Some of our best signings in the last ten years were players we took on trial first. 

Look at Osman Sow’s previous clubs. 

18 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Some of our best signings in the last ten years were players we took on trial first. 

Look at Osman Sow’s previous clubs. 

we had rudi on trial 1st.....

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Gordon, Berra (who may not even be first choice) and Naismith will be three of the best players in the Championship next year whatever their age. Christ look at the Juventus team that just won the league - Ronaldo, Buffon, Higuin, Bonucci, Matuidi... Players play well into their 30s these days.

Hopefully Craig and co can do a similar job to the Dad's Army of Jardine, Bone and co who helped us out of a similarly bad situation and had a huge influence on the likes of Bowman, Robbo and Mackay. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

SomethingAboutObua

I want  to see McDonald and the young guys getting this season as their make it or break it as starters season, so I’m hoping this is more of a utility type winger signing. 

It is so important that he isn’t another injury-prone-aiming-to-get-his-career-back-on-track signing. Really hope that policy has been binned alongside the dozens of players signed on it. 

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

Did we? I thought we signed him on loan from Marseille

Trialist in the friendly against Middlesbrough (along with a few others). 

Special Agent Dale Cooper
20 minutes ago, CMc said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11790/2342245/hearts-look-at-striker

Those were the days, eh? Bring back Simon Hunt!

Edited by Special Agent Dale Cooper

Leveins Battalion
10 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11790/2342245/hearts-look-at-striker

Those were the days, eh? Bring back Simon Hunt!

Great Days!!!I mind being at a friendly against Stirling just before,Brellier played and was stinking!!haha...

Glad we didn't punt him after that game!

kingantti1874

Yet more evidence that we have some of the absolutely clueless weapons in our support.

no idea when or how this happened but I’m pretty sure it is since the days of Romanov.

It’s embarrassing though 

Sure JJ made it clear that he will be advising Hearts that unless the target player is well known to us (plays in the Scottish Premier or whatever), then we should NOT be signing anyone based on a Youtube clip or just on someones say-so but by someone at the club ACTUALLY seeing him play (or close up at training in this instance) and making a proper old school assessment of him.

He used the Stephan Adam signing as an example of that.

So hes here to train with us so we can take a look at him. Seems the right thing to do. Lets see. 

Trials are the right way of going about things, rather than taking a stab in the dark. I’m sure Neilson has a history of it too.

I seem to recall Lee Currie playing a few friendlies before the Championship season.

10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Did we? I thought we signed him on loan from Marseille

pretty sure he played against Southampton as a trialist, may just have been a way of getting him a game before we actually signed him though.

there were so many trialists that day I may be wrong though 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, CMc said:

I had in mind he was Burleys first signing and wasn't a trialist, just a straight loan, but time blurs the lines eh?

I remember my takeaway from that game - we have to sign Sebastian Schemmel!

16 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

We've done alright there recently too - McLaughlin, Dunne and Smith were outstanding signings. Boyce should be a great signing. Sibbick looked like he would have been very good. Clare, Lee, White and Washington, and even Uche, could yet come good.

Naismith, Walker and Lafferty obviously fall into the known quantity category, but I assume whoever was in charge of recruitment still had a role to play in signing them.

Bit hyperbolic here I think. 

In what way has Smith been an outstanding signing? He's been a good signing I'd say. Jury is out on Boyce. The others you mentioned from England haven't been good enough. 

Edited by Ari Gold

On 04/08/2020 at 13:03, jonnothejambo said:

Come on then. Tell us all about the lad. 

What are his strengths and his weaknesses ??

I don't know but hopefully you can enlighten us all.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Yeah he's brilliant, we've done well to get him on trial. Glad he's chosen us over all the other offers.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Yeah he's brilliant, we've done well to get him on trial. Glad he's chosen us over all the other offers.

74 games for a decent Well side, 8 goals and 14 assists. Similar stats at Forest Green.

Similar stats to Horgan at Hibs and better than Boyle when Hibs signed him.

Seems like a decent shout for an experienced left-sided wide player, which we desperately need.

Edited by ToqueJambo