Elliot Frear taken on trial

Danguar

SectionDJambo

Better get used to this type of trial or signing, in the short term. We're playing in the Championship, although we do have a cup semi final to consider. The signing policy will be different from before. We have a new backroom team in there, with fresh ideas about how we play and who we need to get promoted first time. It's all about players gelling together as a team.

We're not going to attract many big names as things stand, which was probably the thinking of the likes of Aberdeen and Hibs, working hard to demote us. We can't turn our noses up at players who have played in better teams than we have been, in the last 18 months.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kenneth Dubeke

• Ari Gold

• Unknown user

• JamboAl

Top Posters In This Topic

This place :vrface:

Over the last few season we’ve signed players with a decent pedigree with good experience and now look where we’ve ended up.

What do folk really expect?

8 goals and 14 assists in 2 season for a winger is a decent return. Well worth a trial  imo.

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I can't really recall the lad from last season however if we are looking at players from teams that were SIGNIFICANTLY better than the utter dross we served up last season then I'm happy with that. 

I can as it happens, he gave us plenty of problems on a number of occasions over the last couple of seasons but the last time I remember him was as a sub.

I actually thought h was a youngster breaking through. Surprised to see his age. Who are Forest Green?

Maybe time for some to look up and learn what a trial is. Robbie will have definite targets but will also give trials to relatively inexpensive punts. Not really worth losing any sleep over. 

He was a regular starter for a top 6 premiership team 2 years ago, surely he could do a job against the likes of raith and dunfermline.  He could help bring on moore by adding a bit competition for the position. 

1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

Setting the bar high I see.

Something tells me you would need a satnav to find Tynecastle

Considering Robbie wanted him before and we're in the championship I don't really see the problem here. 

Why are people expecting us to sign top players? On paper we have a very good side, we just need someone to kick them up the arse and get a tune out of them which will be MUCH easier in the championship.

Ronald Villiers

I'm sure he was quite a decent wee player for Motherwell any time I saw him.  Although I'm not overly excited about this, just think back to when Hartley was initially linked with us.  I hope Robbie gets it right.

wattie exploited

should be having a clear out of the wasters we have still then try and use the money to get somebody better than some one from forest green another pub team lol :rifle:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

Fed up reading people writing off players before they even play for us 🤦‍♂️

Yes because we’ve hit the bullseye in the transfer market so many times in the past few years.

Harry Potter
13 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. In their dreams or on the PlayStation.

I've never heard of the guy but it's not my job the see whether he is any good or otherwise.

I'd wager that they haven't even heard of the player, but just want to be dismissive either out of habit or of ignorance.

They probably dismissed Skaçel, Bednar and Pospisil too.

Aye probably jonno, lets just wait and give the player a chance.

KyleLafferty
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yes because we’ve hit the bullseye in the transfer market so many times in the past few years.

I was gonna bother writing out a list of good players we gave signed in the last 3-4 seasons, but I can already see your comeback. We aren't the only team to sign shite. Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Killie have signed loads of garbage. In fact include Rangers and Celtic on that list.

Edited by KyleLafferty

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

I was gonna bother writing out a list of good players we gave signed in the last 3-4 seasons, but I can already see your comeback. We aren't the only team to sign shite. Hibs, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Killie have signed loads of garbage. In fact include Rangers and Celtic on that list.

Our recruitment is, or has been, a joke.

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Our recruitment is, or has been, a joke.

I didn't say it wasn't, in fact I agree with you 100%. However don't act like we haven't signed good players in the last few seasons.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, KyleLafferty said:

I didn't say it wasn't, in fact I agree with you 100%. However don't act like we haven't signed good players in the last few seasons.

The point is, the good players we’ve signed could have been scouted by Stevie Wonder. You don’t need a recruitment department to identify Naismith or Lafferty.

But when it comes to transfers which require good judgement and analysis, we are found wanting time after time. Which is the reason why people will be looking at Frear on trial and thinking ‘meh’.

At least he’s on trial though. Levein/Murray would have been straight out the door with the offer of a four-year deal.

HillmanHearts

Robbie needs wingers. This boys available for a look. We have a good few weeks before we actually play.

What’s the problem with running the rule over the guy.

He seemed to do well in a half decent Motherwell and apparently turned down a contract renewal.

Can he hug the touchline and whip in good deliveries ? Does he have pace ? Nae idea ! 

Might be handy might not - hence the trial. 

Robbie has always liked a few older pros at each position to mentor the kids.

Nothing to say this will hinder development of the likes of Moore. May actually do the opposite.

Never seen the guy play, but we will have plenty of time to look at him on trial and we if it turns out he can hit the line and put in a reliable stream of crosses, then that would be a bonus. If he has played at wing back, he should be reasonably solid definsively as well.

Edited by CMc

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

If we’re looking at a 29 year old journeyman what’s that saying about the Moore’s Henderson’s McDonalds who we are trying to bring though and hopefully progress. 

Anyway only on trial for now but I don’t get the thinking on this one.

Journeyman could be an overstatement. I know it is only a trial but if a 29 year old winger from the English lower leagues is the level of player that the club is looking at, then it could be a long season ahead.

17 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Robbie needs wingers. This boys available for a look. We have a good few weeks before we actually play.

What’s the problem with running the rule over the guy.

He seemed to do well in a half decent Motherwell and apparently turned down a contract renewal.

Can he hug the touchline and whip in good deliveries ? Does he have pace ? Nae idea ! 

Might be handy might not - hence the trial. 

Better than signing him on a four year deal  after looking at him on Wyscout. 😍

7 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Journeyman could be an overstatement. I know it is only a trial but if a 29 year old winger from the English lower leagues is the level of player that the club is looking at, then it could be a long season ahead.

Except the fact the boy was a more than adequate SPL player. 

:notsure:

heartandsoul
42 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Come on then. Tell us all about the lad. 

What are his strengths and his weaknesses ??

I don't know but hopefully you can enlighten us all.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Exactly. Give the guy a chance. He hasn't even signed yet.

hmfc_liam06

Hearts fans - we should do what Motherwell do and scout lower leagues.

Also Hearts fans, after taking a guy who previously done well at Motherwell on trial - **** sake Hearts, Budge oot!!

KyleLafferty
22 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The point is, the good players we’ve signed could have been scouted by Stevie Wonder. You don’t need a recruitment department to identify Naismith or Lafferty.

But when it comes to transfers which require good judgement and analysis, we are found wanting time after time. Which is the reason why people will be looking at Frear on trial and thinking ‘meh’.

At least he’s on trial though. Levein/Murray would have been straight out the door with the offer of a four-year deal.

Ok so what about Mcglaughlin, Haring, Djoum, Jimmy Dunne, Sean Clare, Adao was decent till his disaster at ibrox, Johnson was a good player and still playing higher level than us, Isma scored goals, Milinkovic, Rossi,  I'll even go as far as Juanma he scored 14 goals in his first season. Then the championship we signed, Sow, ozturk, eckersley, pallardo, zeefuik. 

We do sign good players, and reading off those names a lot were under Neilson so I'm not gonna doubt him. Yes we also signed horrendous players under him as well, but no club in the world gets every signing right.

If we do end up signing him then I hope he kicks right on, but as usual (I'm not aiming this as you) people on JKB will be gagging to dismiss him and say I told you so if he is shite.

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Not a world beater by any means but may do ok in Championship. 

Nail, hammer, head.  It is Scotland and the Championship.  

Everybody Loves Baz!

This place really is shite sometimes.

I'm sure I read in the first sentence .....Trial???

People saying Levein etc would've offered long term deals etc etc are those that look to have a dig at the Club no matter what they do.

We're a Championship club just now whether we like it or not, lost a few trials along the way and probably, (I said probably) have to cut our cloth accordingly.

xxxxing wanting to sign Messi and Ronaldo .

JKB really is for arseholes.

Edited by Everybody Loves Baz!

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, jambo3tevie said:

He is 29 years old, he should be at the peak of his ability for the next couple of years. If he is hungry to play and show what he can do then thats good enough for me. Also the fact that Motherwell wanted to keep him while they where doing well tells me he has enough about him for the SPL never mind the championship. I will trust in Robbie and if he decides to offer Frear a contract then he should get our full support.

Sensible post alert!

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

this, same sort of folk who were setting themselves at the prospect of damour because he came with a decent rep on a big pay packet from a decent club, or spaghetti hands because he cane from Man U 😂. Or the same kind of fans who lament the fact that motherwell and stmirren manage to snap up players we’ve never heard of who are effective in this league.

If the last few years has taught me anything is repution means nothing.  We need players who are hungry and effective

In a nutshell 

Joey Barton , Roy Keane, Freddie Ljunberg and Ian Wright, all horseshit in Scottish football, gimme an unknown with something to prove 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Also Hearts fans, after taking a guy who previously done well at Motherwell on trial - **** sake Hearts, Budge oot!!

Fair point 😂

Auld Reekin'
3 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

I'd guess we're looking at no nonsense cheap players that know the leagues and have enough to drag us out of the Championship ASAP (rather than exciting foreign signings who will arrive here and then be horrified by the shite they have to wade through and the work they have to do!). :lol: :icon14: If one or two of them have a bit of nous or experience to pass onto the youngsters then so much the better. :icon14: :icon14:

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

If we’re looking at a 29 year old journeyman what’s that saying about the Moore’s Henderson’s McDonalds who we are trying to bring though and hopefully progress. 

Says what they are, very average footballers. 

Edited by rudi must stay

rudi must stay
35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's like Adam Eckersley, take guys who can do well at the level we're in. Smart way of running a football club, this guy could be a gem anyway in the SPL. All we need is a winger that's quick and can put a good ball in, we've been missing one since Mulraney and even he did that ocassionally

A_A wehatethehibs
3 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

it says, they are not proven players at first team level. Is that news to you? 

63 Hearts appearances between the 3 of them, no goals. 

Hope the young lads come on to a game and start performing at a level that meets expectations. 

Not saying Frear sounds amazing or anything but he at least has basic proven competence as a pro which puts him above those 3. On paper, his profile actually pretty much what you’d expect for a Scottish championship level signing for Hearts. An experienced, properly motivated professional who worked his way up from non-league to notch 200 professional games under his belt. Hearts would be the opportunity of a lifetime for him to play for a big club, I’m sure he will work his socks off. As per above, an Adam Eckersley type signing. 

That’s the glass half full outlook, let’s hope he comes in, trial is a success and does well for us in a romp to promotion and one or two of the young lads prove themselves. 

Kenneth Dubeke
8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

it says, they are not proven players at first team level. Is that news to you? 

63 Hearts appearances between the 3 of them, no goals. 

Hope the young lads come on to a game and start performing at a level that meets expectations. 

Not saying Frear sounds amazing or anything but he at least has basic proven competence as a pro which puts him above those 3. On paper, his profile actually pretty much what you’d expect for a Scottish championship level signing for Hearts. An experienced, properly motivated professional who worked his way up from non-league to notch 200 professional games under his belt. Hearts would be the opportunity of a lifetime for him to play for a big club, I’m sure he will work his socks off. As per above, an Adam Eckersley type signing. 

That’s the glass half full outlook, let’s hope he comes in, trial is a success and does well for us in a romp to promotion and one or two of the young lads prove themselves. 

Moore, Henderson and Macdonald will not make it at Hearts 

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, Kenneth Dubeke said:

Moore, Henderson and Macdonald will not make it at Hearts 

I think it’s possible that at least one of them will.

Right now Moore is the only one of the 3 I think possibly has the necessary desire, not seen any indication the other 2 are hungry enough. 

The main thing is, they are about to get the chance every 20 year old footballer in Scotland would love to have - a full season ahead at Hearts, with no big names blocking their path to first team games. A huge opportunity. So let’s hope someone grabs it and makes a name for himself. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Kenneth Dubeke
6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think it’s possible that at least one of them will.

Right now Moore is the only one of the 3 I think possibly has the necessary desire, not seen any indication the other 2 are hungry enough. 

The main thing is, they are about to get the chance every 20 year old footballer in Scotland would love to have - a full season ahead at Hearts, with no big names blocking their path to first team games. A huge opportunity. So let’s hope someone grabs it and makes a name for himself. 

Moore did ok under Stendel.  He showed a good attitude and work rate. But surely that's a minimum expectation? Never looked like he could create anything. Let's not forget he couldn't get a game in League 1 for Falkirk 

Macdonald has something about him. Touch and awareness beyond what Moore and Henderson possess.  Hemderson looks pretty ordinary.  Charges about with no real end product 

It’s not 2014 were we had a clutch of decent laddies, everyone was on a high and talk of a return to great things for HMFC. We attracted some decent players over and above that who bought into the idea of launching Hearts back to the big time. 

Different environment now , I think? It could be about a few sensible , short term signings good enough to get us up.  By that time there may be a few of the current lot who’ve let us down with contracts running out. 

Gives us a clean slate when going up. And slap me down if you want but I’m still not wholly convinced by a couple of the younger lads who will be entrusted to dig us out a league they’ll get kicked up and down in a lot more. Not at the standard of the crop 6 years ago.  

fabienleclerq

Don't really remember him, never watched him, must be shite ffs Robbie.... 

Any chance we can wait until /if he gets a contract and then judge him based on criteria like how he performs for Hearts?

Kenneth Dubeke
2 hours ago, Chaps said:

This place :vrface:

Over the last few season we’ve signed players with a decent pedigree with good experience and now look where we’ve ended up.

What do folk really expect?

8 goals and 14 assists in 2 season for a winger is a decent return. Well worth a trial  imo.

This is the market we're in through choices made over last few years 

Someone like Loic Damour should've done well given his pedigree.  Get a look at Frear and see what he has got 

Nothing to lose with this approach 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Kenneth Dubeke said:

Moore did ok under Stendel.  He showed a good attitude and work rate. But surely that's a minimum expectation? Never looked like he could create anything. Let's not forget he couldn't get a game in League 1 for Falkirk 

Macdonald has something about him. Touch and awareness beyond what Moore and Henderson possess.  Hemderson looks pretty ordinary.  Charges about with no real end product 

Mcdonalds problem is concentration from what I’ve seen. At times he looks like a David templeton on the ball, but a lot of the time he just doesn’t seem totally focused and up to speed with teammates. Henderson looks like a strong athlete, generally does the basics well, but again just not sure he actually has the desire to go at defenders, harass them and give them a torrid time, Naismith style. 

I think we saw flashes of that type of attitude with Moore, what interest me about him is the recent story about how his dad passed, and how much impact it had on him, I believe it was during or before that spell at Falkirk. He sounds motivated and full of desire. I thought it showed on the pitch. Not afraid to go at players and take on defenders. There’s no doubt he wants it. You need so much desire effort and commitment to be a Hearts player, more than other clubs.

But ultimately it’s quality end product which will determine everything for all 3 of them. That is the be all and end all when you’re an attacker, end product. Let’s see how they do in the championship 👍

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Exactly, sign guys who know Scottish football and were reasonably successful in Scottish football. So, a guy who was a regular starter for two seasons with Motherwell when they were top 6, was offered an extension by Motherwell but rejected it for something else is now on trial with us. Tbh we should be grateful he is willing to take a trial at a championship club. 
Just don’t get some of the comments on here. 

Guest ToqueJambo

What an over-reaction. The main takeaway should be we're prioritising wingers. We're building a squad for the Championship on a reduced budget so no doubt we'll be looking to combine experience and youth and will aim to have better players than the other teams in every position. Sam Nicolson showed that getting our number 1 targets might be tricky in the circumstances.

1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

In a nutshell 

Joey Barton , Roy Keane, Freddie Ljunberg and Ian Wright, all horseshit in Scottish football, gimme an unknown with something to prove 

Add Tziolis and Whelan to that list as well.