• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kenneth Dubeke

• Ari Gold

• Unknown user

• JamboAl

Top Posters In This Topic

Weakened Offender

I can't really recall the lad from last season however if we are looking at players from teams that were SIGNIFICANTLY better than the utter dross we served up last season then I'm happy with that. 

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

I can't really recall the lad from last season however if we are looking at players from teams that were SIGNIFICANTLY better than the utter dross we served up last season then I'm happy with that. 

valid point, i will need to see him play.

manaliveits105

Anyone who arm slaps guppie is ok in my book happy to trust Robbies judgement in the trial

sister fisters in early on this thread - FTH 

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

valid point, i will need to see him play.

Or just let Robbie see him play. 

Anyway, I just realised he didn't actually play for Motherwell last season 😁

jamboinglasgow

Cant say I remember much of him at Motherwell except his name, but its a trial so see what happens. Wont be the last player to come in by trial, so chances are slim for signing.

Clerry Jambo

If we’re looking at a 29 year old journeyman what’s that saying about the Moore’s Henderson’s McDonalds who we are trying to bring though and hopefully progress. 

Anyway only on trial for now but I don’t get the thinking on this one.

Hungry hippo
9 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

He wasn't in Scotland last season. Rejected a contract extension at Motherwell and went down south but got injured so didn't play too many games.

Adam_the_legend
Just now, Hungry hippo said:

He wasn't in Scotland last season. Rejected a contract extension at Motherwell and went down south but got injured so didn't play too many games.

oh ****, here we go again 👀

kingantti1874

He’s actually decent, still we will have fans who have never seen him play reject him because he isn’t a big name and fail to recognise he will be more than good enough to help us in the league we will actually be in

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

Aye, I realised that and commented later. What an erse eh? 😁

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, Clerry Jambo said:

If we’re looking at a 29 year old journeyman what’s that saying about the Moore’s Henderson’s McDonalds who we are trying to bring though and hopefully progress. 

Anyway only on trial for now but I don’t get the thinking on this one.

I'd guess we're looking at no nonsense cheap players that know the leagues and have enough to drag us out of the Championship ASAP (rather than exciting foreign signings who will arrive here and then be horrified by the shite they have to wade through and the work they have to do!). If one or two of them have a bit of nous or experience to pass onto the youngsters then so much the better.

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

He’s actually decent, still we will have fans who have never seen him play reject him because he isn’t a big name and fail to recognise he will be more than good enough to help us in the league we will actually be in

Player that probably wants to get on. Might learn to understand the club. The negative reaction? The posters are more concerning.

Portable Badger

Elliott Frear earns Hearts trial as Robbie Neilson runs the rule over former Motherwell winger

Neilson is keen to beef up his wide options and has tried to sign Frear previously

0_14976308-1-1.jpg (Image: SNS)

Hearts are running the rule over former Motherwell winger Elliott Frear. 

The 29-year-old is out of contract after leaving Forest Green Rovers and has joined the Jambos on their return to pre-season training.

Robbie Neilson is keen to add more quality in the wide areas of his Hearts squad, having lost out to Bristol Rovers in an attempt to bring Sam Nicholson back to Tynecastle 

And now the Gorgie gaffer has turned his attention to Frear, who will be assessed as the Championship favorites are put through their paces at Oriam. 

With competitive action not beginning until 6 October and the Championship season kick-off 11 days after that, there is no rush for a decision from either party, and Neilson will likely take his time with eight weeks of pre-season still in store for his squad.

Frear, who was also deployed as a left wing-back under Stephen Robinson at Motherwell, would provide a more experienced alternative on the left to Lewis Moore.

Record Sport understands Neilson is on the hunt for a right-sided wide player in addition, as well as a central midfielder. 

0_18334771-1.jpg

Craig Gordon has been the only new arrival at Tynecastle since Neilson returned for a second spell in charge.

He has been a long-term admirer of Frear and was on the verge of snapping him while at Dundee United last September.

However, a move never materialised and Frear made the move south and returned to Forest Green on a short-term deal until January, which was then extended until the end of the season.

He managed 15 appearances for Rovers in all competitions before English Leagues One and Two were shut down due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

In his two seasons at Fir Park, Frear turned out 74 times for the Steelmen, netting eight goals and providing 14 assists.

He helped the Lanarkshire club reach both the League Cup and Scottish Cup final in 2018, when they lost out to Celtic 2-0 on both occasions.

0_15195108-1.jpg

As well as a potential new face, Hearts welcomed back a familiar one as Austrian midfielder Peter Haring made a long-awaited return to training after over a year out with a pelvic problem.

He was joined by John Souttar, the defender having been out since February after rupturing his Achilles in the 1-0 Scottish Cup quarter-final win over Rangers and Tynecastle.

At Championship level someone like Frear would probably do fine. Not exactly a signing to get excited about, but probably a functional addition to the squad. 

Don't know this guy at all.  Nothing really to judge him on.  Will leave this one to the judgement of the management team.  

Kirky Jambo

I remember watching him a few times at Motherwell and thinking he looked poor. Then he cracked one in the top bag out of nowhere.

Randomly I’m sure I saw highlights of a reserve team game a couple of years back where we beat Motherwell  despite them being all over us, and Stephen Craigan repeatedly yelling at “Ells” who was playing on the wing for them and causing a few problems for us.

Definitely not one to get excited about imo but as others have said, could be adequate at Championship level. Almost certainly not a starter.

Harry Potter
21 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Or just let Robbie see him play. 

Anyway, I just realised he didn't actually play for Motherwell last season 😁

👍, aye leave it to Robbie,

The White Cockade

If we can have Haring and Soapy fully fit that is better news than any new signings

If they get their fingers out and move on from last season’s shambles the players we have are good enough to win the league by 12 points

a couple of decent signings would be great obviously but don’t expect any top men to join a Championship club

12 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

At Championship level someone like Frear would probably do fine. Not exactly a signing to get excited about, but probably a functional addition to the squad. 

The sort of player Robbie wants.

To set up chances for Boyce and Naismith.

Mostly in the Championship. 

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Fed up reading people writing off players before they even play for us 🤦‍♂️

But they were or are great players, 🤔.

Unknown user

I don't remember him but I do think Robbie's been making more good signings than bad in the last couple of years so let's wait and see.

You don't need to be Pele to be effective in the Scottish Championship, or even the top league TBH, you just need to do the right things consistently.

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Quite right.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

this, same sort of folk who were setting themselves at the prospect of damour because he came with a decent rep on a big pay packet from a decent club, or spaghetti hands because he cane from Man U 😂. Or the same kind of fans who lament the fact that motherwell and stmirren manage to snap up players we’ve never heard of who are effective in this league.

If the last few years has taught me anything is repution means nothing.  We need players who are hungry and effective

Famous 1874

29 years old journeymen? Shouldn’t even be wasting our time giving him a trial. We need younger and more hungry players. Worried about our recruitment yet again.

Sincerely hope that Neilson knows him and is helping him stay fit and that is it. 

maroonshrew
38 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Don't know this guy at all.  Nothing really to judge him on.  Will leave this one to the judgement of the management team.  

This probably describes 80% of our positions. Seems crazy that anyone who doesn't think they've ever seen him play can be so negative about him. 

Whenever these threads start I always remind myself that plenty people described Hartley as an ex hibee reject  journeyman who flopped down south. 

Bret the Hitman Hearts

Those who find it underwhelming maybe need to remind themselves what league we find ourselves in.

If he could do a job for a few months, what's the problem?

1 minute ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

Those who find it underwhelming maybe need to remind themselves what league we find ourselves in.

If he could do a job for a few months, what's the problem?

And what our finances look like.

Berra than you

The journeyman line annoys me. I must admit I don't know enough about Frear (just remember him being fast) but just cause he has played for a number of clubs and is a worker doesn't make him a bad player. You can't fill a squad with them, but equally you can't fill a squad of excellent players, or young ginger players. It's about balance. Those wanting us to sign young and hungry players might be disappointed, I feel we will use the ones we already have at the club.

It’s obvious Robbie likes this guy as he was linked with him at Dundee Utd. At least he’s on trial and if he’s better than we’ve got he’ll be signed.

We're in the Championship. We don't have wads to spend. We need a natural left sided player with pace. From memory, I always thought he was OK tbh but he was quite often playing as a LwB at Motherwell. A one year deal wouldn't hurt. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I can see the point in signing a winger or wing back of his age as you would guess he would be more aware through experience when to play the ball in early or otherwise. I hope young players like Moore kick on this season but it will be a season for horses for courses and Robbie was good at that tactic in the last season we were down there. If he proves his worth no real harm signing him.

Rick Sanchez

You'd think Robbie being a full back would know a decent full back and a decent winger.

I'll trust his judgement....beats Pawlett 🤷‍♂️

he's looking for someone to compete with Lewis Moore on the left, Frear is a player he knows and has tried to sign before.

Motherwell also wanted to keep frear but he declined the contract extension, if motherwell wanted to keep him it suggests he has more than what it takes to play in the championship, and maybe the premiership as well.

Auldreekie1874

In his two seasons at Fir Park, Frear turned out 74 times for the Steelmen, netting eight goals and providing 14 assists.

From the article a few posts above. Suggests he might be quite handy, especially in the championship.

Can't remember this guy from Motherwell to be honest, but we signed journeymen the last time we were in the championship (Buaben, Gomis and Eckersley immediately spring to mind) and they served us well. 

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Was about to post the same. 

Other than Craig Gordon, I doubt we'll sign anyone to get excited about but we really don't have to. Unlikely we'd be able to anyway as a season in the Championship won't much appeal to a "marquee" signing.

Another few decent additions will suffice then bring it on next summer. 

Don't see the problem with him being on trial. If he is good enough we will offer a contract, if not then he will be on his way. We are desperate for pace in the wide areas. I can't recall seeing him much apart from the Scottish Cup tie there a few years ago when he came on as a sub, he was lightning quick. 

Mad Robbie out where is the boy who never played in the league before but with a decent youtube video and once played for Ajax or capped at u21 level for Denmark .

This is exactly the sort of addition we should be making a good age not injury prone and knows the league. This lad played at a higher level and will hit the ground running superb signing for me if we can get him.

Boyces beard

He is 29 years old, he should be at the peak of his ability for the next couple of years. If he is hungry to play and show what he can do then thats good enough for me. Also the fact that Motherwell wanted to keep him while they where doing well tells me he has enough about him for the SPL never mind the championship. I will trust in Robbie and if he decides to offer Frear a contract then he should get our full support.