Eamonn Bannon Testimonial match vs Man Utd 1989 - Any photos?

queensferryjambo

queensferryjambo

I was looking for any photos from Eamonn Bannon's Testimonial match if everyone has any. I was at the game and remember it as being entertaining enough as far as non competitive games go. 

I know it is a tall order finding any but if there is anywhere that has been a fantastic resource in the past it has been here :)

I can only find 2 from the game but if anyone has any more I would love to see them please.

Hearts v Manchester United, 1989.jpg

bannon testimonial.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• queensferryjambo

• martoon

• LondonHearts

• millerjames398

Auld Reekin'

Jim Leighton in a familiar pose there.   :greggy:

queensferryjambo
Just now, Auld Reekin' said:

Jim Leighton in a familiar pose there.   :greggy:

He does look incredibly pissed off.

Not sure why as I am sure it was a penalty during a testimonial. Bannon obviously took it - can't remember if it went through bandy's legs ;) 

Auld Reekin'
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

Not sure why as I am sure it was a penalty during a testimonial. Bannon obviously took it - can't remember if it went through bandy's legs ;) 

Fair chance of that!

2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

What sort of gate did he get?

Was just short of 10k.

Was floating about in a relatively quiet Gorgie end that night.

He made 40k from it.

Was Bannon a Hearts fan? He's friends with a work colleague's Dad who I think have been friends since p.e. teacher training at Jordanhill together in the 70s?  He always seemed most passionate when talking about the end of his career for Spartans! Although I'm sure he'll surely rank being at the World Cup higher than that. Middle class footballers always stuck out a bit from the rest back in the day.

Cracking player.

millerjames398

Loved this testimonial, and always remember mark Hughes being asked to be subbed before he was sent off👍🏼🇱🇻

millerjames398
16 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

😆 my old man always used to joke that he'd have been the greatest keeper in the world,, if his legs were straight, as he'd have been 7ft tall😆🇱🇻

Eamonn owns a guest house on the way into Newington. See him so many mornings. He was a cracking player for us.  Group of us used to play football with him after school sometimes in a field at Ravenswood Avenue in the Inch.

The White Cockade

In his first spell as a youngster he was brilliant for us

Remember him scoring a hat trick as a midfielder  at Tynie against Killie I think

He could really hammer the ball

Transferred to Chelsea against his will by another one if our useless Boards of the 50’s 60’s and 70’s

millerjames398
6 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Remember him scoring a hat trick as a midfielder  at Tynie against Killie I think

Transferred to Chelsea against his will by another one if our useless Boards of the 50’s 60’s and 70’s

Eamonn Bannon shoots like a cannon na na na na na👍🏼🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

joondalupjambo

Was Joe Jordan the manager at the time?  I have a photo of him playing in full Hearts strip contesting a header as you would expect given the man.   I wonder if it was during this testimonial match.  It is a professionally taken photo, Evening news photographer I believe.

14 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Was Joe Jordan the manager at the time?  I have a photo of him playing in full Hearts strip contesting a header as you would expect given the man.   I wonder if it was during this testimonial match.  It is a professionally taken photo, Evening news photographer I believe.

1990 Jordan joined us.

queensferryjambo
12 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Alex MacDonald was the manager I believe in 1989/90 season.

It was Gary Mackay's testimonial Joe Jordan played and scored twice as well. 

Would love to see the photo anyway

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

Alex MacDonald was the manager I believe in 1989/90 season.

It was Gary Mackay's testimonial Joe Jordan played and scored twice as well. 

Would love to see the photo anyway

Thanks for the two confirmation replies confirming manager.  I was a bit lazy and should have Googled myself😃

I will dig out the photo, it is an A4 size so pretty good.  Will see what I can do with it scan, photo etc. and PM you later in week.

queensferryjambo
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Thanks for the two confirmation replies confirming manager.  I was a bit lazy and should have Googled myself😃

I will dig out the photo, it is an A4 size so pretty good.  Will see what I can do with it scan, photo etc. and PM you later in week.

Thanks that would be brilliant.

I was at Mackay's testimonial match but don't remember much apart from the goals.

I have also seen 2 versions of a testimonial shirt from Mackay's match but not sure what was actually worn.

I mind there was a smoker for E Bannon somewhere  In fife. Federation gig I’m sure ? You bought the ticket and it was a free bar. If memory serves me right they had to tell folk to calm down because there was no way he was going to make money from it.  The nick of everyone and I’d doubt he did. Cracking night though. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

I remember the game after the board sold him to Chelsea. A cup tie at Raith Rovers on a frozen pitch. The board got pelters. We won 2-0. Wee Malky Robertson got both, if my memory serves me right. Bannon was a super player back then. Remember being in the school end when he balooned a penalty into Tynecastle school against Rangers!. Gutted, as he was normally pretty reliable from the spot.

I was there, sober, but recall nothing other than Gary Pallister(sp) being the latest big name signing for them, a sub 10k att and a 2-4 defeat. 

Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Oh no Parker sent me

i don’t want to go to Chelsea

i think that was the song 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, japanjambo said:

I remember the game after the board sold him to Chelsea. A cup tie at Raith Rovers on a frozen pitch. The board got pelters. We won 2-0. Wee Malky Robertson got both, if my memory serves me right. Bannon was a super player back then. Remember being in the school end when he balooned a penalty into Tynecastle school against Rangers!. Gutted, as he was normally pretty reliable from the spot.

Damned fine memory JJ. That was my recollection too

ford donald
9 hours ago, Macros said:

I think Eamonn was transferred to Chelsea under instruction from the bank as otherwise we were closing the doors.

The board were desperate for cash,thats why he was sold to Chelsea.

The best two footed player I saw who was great in the air too. I thought he would make a great manager but just coached for a short period and gave up the game. As I recall he had a guest house in Joppa? 

1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

The best two footed player I saw who was great in the air too. I thought he would make a great manager but just coached for a short period and gave up the game. As I recall he had a guest house in Joppa? 

He was manager of Falkirk and there was some error - playing a player who was suspended or not registered or something. Falkirk took the opportunity to dismiss him and that was that.

Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Went to Hibs after his testimonial iirc. 

In the same camp as Michael Stewart. 

I'm firmly in this camp too. Too young to really remember him first time around and second time round, he stuck the knife in to Doddie and then slithered down the road to that mob. Rat. 

Silvery_Moon
50 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Went to Hibs after his testimonial iirc. 

In the same camp as Michael Stewart. 

45 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm firmly in this camp too. Too young to really remember him first time around and second time round, he stuck the knife in to Doddie and then slithered down the road to that mob. Rat. 

The Testimonial was in 1989 and he didn't go to Hibs as a coach until 1993 I am sure. 

He then came back to us a year later under Tommy McLean but as we know that also only lasted for a year. 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

The Testimonial was in 1989 and he didn't go to Hibs as a coach until 1993 I am sure. 

He then came back to us a year later under Tommy McLean but as we know that also only lasted for a year. 

He still signed and played for Hibs after leaving Hearts, who gave him a testimonial. 

He also made public comments that supported Mercer's sacking of Alex MacDonald. And he was involved in thd Tommy McLean debacle. 

Silvery_Moon
8 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

He still signed and played for Hibs after leaving Hearts, who gave him a testimonial. 

He also made public comments that supported Mercer's sacking of Alex MacDonald. And he was involved in thd Tommy McLean debacle. 

Fair enough. I thought you meant he had left us to go to Hibs under Alex Mcdonald. 

I was unaware of the public comments supporting the sacking. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

He played one game for them aged 37 🤣 Went to them primarily to start coaching. He was a brilliant player for us.

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

I think Bannon was about the classiest midfielder I’ve ever seen at Hearts.

He’s certainly up there. Jim Bett just oozed class too. Imagine if we could have signed him 10 years earlier.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

He played one game for them aged 37 🤣 Went to them primarily to start coaching. He was a brilliant player for us.

One game too many for some. And he wasn't brilliant for us at all. 

46 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

One game too many for some. And he wasn't brilliant for us at all. 

First time round he was a one man team, taking all the set plays etc and we got relegated the year he was sold as I recall. Second time around he didn't have the same energy but I remember great goals against Hibs and Dundee United so he did OK. Always seemed an intelligent, pleasant guy so I have good memories of him.

7 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

I know he didn't go straight to Hibs after the testimonial. 

However I don't believe he deserved a testimonial and the low crowd in attendance considering the opposition 

Indicates many others had that view. 

At that time testimonials were offered as sweeteners in contract negotiations. 

In other words the fans were expected to foot the bill for already wealthy players. 

Having had a payday from the Hearts fans it was disrespectful signing for Hibs. 

He played the best years of his career away from Hearts if any team was giving him a testimonial it should have been Dundee Utd.